100 lb. Club - The Backhanded Compliment

View Full Version : The Backhanded Compliment

starfishkitty
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
So the other day, a customer came into my work who hadn't been in for, oh I'd say about 6 to 8 months. He looked at me and he was like "Oh wow!! You had your baby!!"

I blinked. Then realized what he meant.

Dryly, but with a smile, I was like... "Yeah... I started eating healthy and it came out." :lol:

Believe it or not, it made me chuckle throughout the rest of the day... I think he was pretty relieved I wasn't angry! hehe

lottie63
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
ummmmm. I would be like, wow, awkard moment.....ha.

mammasita
04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
HAHA!!! Yeah super awkward LOL, but kudos to you for taking it in stride!

CarbQueen
04-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow... I probably would have sucker punched him. :D

Arctic Mama
04-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm more like you, that would have made me laugh! Its not his fault I look pregnant when I nosh too many cheetos and bubble teas :lol:

konfyoozed
04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
that's pretty funny. i would have laughed and said something similar.

at least you got confirmation of the weight loss being visible to others! :)

tea2
04-01-2011, 01:58 PM
That was a funny and gracious reply. Hee hee! I think I would have been too shocked to say anything! :dizzy:

sept15lija
04-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I love what you said! When are people going to figure out you don't say anything about a possible pregnancy to a woman unless you can actually see the baby coming out?! haha

Lyn2007
04-01-2011, 02:10 PM
LOL! Well you handled it very graciously!

twinmommaplusone
04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Wow, Wow, Wow.Wow....Good for you to coming up with the really funny remark!

Goddess Jessica
04-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I am having the opposite problem now. When I tell people I'm pregnant they say, "What? You are?!" And I think -- oh bet you thought I just gained all that weight I had lost. SIGH! :)

MiZTaCCen
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I loved your comment seriously it was quick and witty! I probably would have laughed too sometimes people don't think before they speak but at least the whole time he thought you were preggers and not just fat! :)

MelissaMartiinson1
04-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Good for you for not taking offense. Your comment made me giggle A LOT!

GirlyGirlSebas
04-01-2011, 10:21 PM
"Yeah... I started eating healthy and it came out Oh, that is so funny! I'd love to think of something to say like that, but I always think of those things later on in the day. Never on the spur of the moment.

Eliana
04-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Better to get that kind of comment AFTER the weight loss than before! LOL!

souvenirdarling
04-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Well done!!!!

ilidawn
04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
You handled that so well! I'm not so mature lol I probably would've gotten depressed. Good for you and great sense of humor!

Smiling_Sara
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
So the other day, a customer came into my work who hadn't been in for, oh I'd say about 6 to 8 months. He looked at me and he was like "Oh wow!! You had your baby!!"

I blinked. Then realized what he meant.

Dryly, but with a smile, I was like... "Yeah... I started eating healthy and it came out." :lol:

Believe it or not, it made me chuckle throughout the rest of the day... I think he was pretty relieved I wasn't angry! hehe

saying something like that would of ruined my day.

I've had people say "where's the rest of you" and I reply I kicked her to the curb. Or you look so great! You've lost a ton of weight! You look amazing. And I have never took those as backhanded comments. I've had ppl ask me if I don't like those comments cause it insinuates that I didn't look great before. But I don't. Those never bother me. Those in fact, make my day.

sz12wannabe
04-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Oh my...if someone said that to me today I would just die! 82 lbs from now I would have the same sort of response. Keep it up!

starfishkitty
04-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Thanks guys.... :) Back in the day I think it would have made me kinda more depressed as well, not just producing a TWINGE of "Oh gee thanks jerk".... and a much bigger twinge of "Yeah, I know I look way better". :) ;)

Guess you learn to roll with the punches as you go on!

And, on top of it, I know how few people can actually do what I've done (and you guys too!!) and stick to it! So I know I should be proud. :)