Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Strength and fat storage

Now that I've been lifting more I've noticed something strange. It seems wherever I store fat more I have more strength. So I carry a lot of fat in my:
belly (abs), underarms (triceps), back of thighs (hamstrings), chest

and those are by far my strongest muscle groups. On the other hand, my muscle groups that certainly look more defined and carry less weight:
biceps, shoulders, back, calfs

just aren't nearly as strong and it takes A LOT of effort for me to do even light weights on those areas.

I don't get it... my shoulders/back look GREAT but I can barely lift anything on them? However, I have a horrible, horrible belly pouch and serious thunder thighs but I could do sit-ups/squats (with weights) all day.

Anybody else experience the same thing? When I lift I mostly do dynamical lifting i.e. no rest in between sets and I try and do my upper body and lower body at the same time (e.g. bicep curls and squats together) so I just can't figure out why it's so disproportionate? For cardio I alternate between swimming and biking so even with that I'm switching things up a lot.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I'm not sure I understand the question?. Having less fat in one area doesn't mean you should have stronger muscles in that area.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Basically it's this. Wherever I store a lot of fat I appear to be stronger than where I'm not storing a lot of fat. I'm just curious why there seems to be this correlation? Is there any reason that I'm experiencing this?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Women store fat in their midsections, thighs, butts. Those also happen to be the largest muscle groups. Your core and legs carry you around all day. Your upper back and arms, probably a lot weaker in comparison. My chest and shoulders and upper back are very weak, I have bad posture and find it hard to stand up straight. My legs are very strong, too strong, in comparison.

Doing weighted sit ups sounds very painful to me! Can you do planks? Epic fail for me! I have a large muscle in my arm, under the fat, but I can only lift about 15 pounds with it, because the shoulder and chest and back muscles that help the arm lift are very weak.

And as previously discussed, my rear muscles (hams/glutes) are much weaker than my front muscles (quads) although I feel like the front of my thigh is much looser and fatter than the back of it.

The areas that carry less fat and look more defined might be just as strong as the other areas, where your strong muscles are still hiding under a layer of fat. Give it time, that will melt right off of you!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote