Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default April Running!

Newbies and veterans, come one come all and record your running in April!

No big goal for me this month, just keep on keeping on. My training for my next half is still a few months out so I'm just plugging along around 20 miles per week.

4 this morning, a little rough. My legs were really sore from ST this week. I was hoping for 5 but I just wasn't feeling it.

Have a great month everyone! Let's run!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

Ok so I have a question in running in the cold. I can jog for 30 min in 40 degree + weather. However, the other day it was in the low to min 30's and after maybe 2 minutes I was wheezing and my mouth and throat hurt. What gives? This happen to anyone else? Anyone have tips for jogging in the cold (not that I hope to need this any more this year ).
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Oh, may I join?
I just started Day 1, Week 1 of the c25k program yesterday. I thought that since I am most definitely not starting from the "couch" that it wouldn't be too hard... wow, was I wrong. I just barely made it through the final running interval. It was a smack in the face about my physical fitness and a sore reminder of why I hated running in gym class. :b

Anyway, my goal for this month, I suppose, is to simply progress on through the program.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

I'm running a 5k the first weekend in May, so my goal for April is to get there!

2.5 miles today (with 2 walking breaks thrown in, so not all running), then played soccer after so I got a little extra in even though I'm not technically counting it as a workout.

KmbRN84, sometimes the cold bothers me, other times it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. That's hardly helpful advice, I know. :/ It's supposed to be in the 60s next week though! (I'm in Columbus)

Last edited by AriRuns; 04-01-2011 at 10:41 PM.
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I did a 5 mile run this morning, rode my bike 8 miles. Training for a duathlon in June and a half marathon on May 1st. Will start training for my full marathon in Dec. in the month of August.

I have had the problem with breathing and my lungs and throat while running in the cold. My doc told me it is a form of asthma that only affects you with cold temps. He gave me Pro-Air inhaler and it works like a charm when I start feeling those symptoms.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I just completed Day 2 of Week 1 of c25k and I'm astounded at already how much easier it was for me this time. I hope I can keep progressing on at this pace!
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #7  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

I did my short long run of 17km on April 1 (yeah, sounds like nonsense, but hopefully some know what i'm on about???), and have been lazy since. I was working all day today (even thought it's Sunday for goodness sake!!!!) then went straight to the pub, but tomorrow is a new week and i'm back in to it........
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

Well, I reaggravated my ankle (who saw that coming!). It's been about 3 or 4 weeks since the sprain and all was going fine, even though I was still running. Then Saturday, I tripped while kicking my sons toy across the carpet and it swelled right back up to the same size as it was after the spain. Man, did it hurt. So I did every thing I could not to run on Sunday, but I was walking my son to the park and it turned into a 3 miler. I tried to give myself some credit for not running the 8-10 I was supposed to. Of course it's still quite swollen and tender and this morning I smacked myself in the face and said, no you idiot you will not run today. So I'm bummed about that. I'm not sure how long I'll last though...because it just doesn't hurt when I run. I know that's no excuse, but taking it easy doesn't seem to be in vocabulary when it doesn't hury. I read an article once that if it doesn't hurt when you run or the pain subsides while you're running then it's ok to continue running. I sure hope that's true, otherwise I'm sure I'll run myself right into needing surgery or having to take off 6-8 weeks and then I'm sure I'll a total melt down.

Ok, sorry for the rant - have a great week everyone!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I did the C25K program straight through, ran in a 5K race, then decided I would run 2 miles or so four or five days a week, and throw in a 3-mile run on the days I felt I could swing it. Well, the 2.25 miles have felt rough every single time. Today, however, was a good day. I didn't feel any aches, any soreness, my breathing was good. I stopped at 2 miles, then realized I felt I could keep running and ended up doing the full 3.1 miles. I felt awesome. Strange how some days are just like that.

While I was running, I kept having to pull up my pants. So, I am going to need some new shorts or capris. I checked out the running section at Dick's, but everything looks so little and clingy. The pants I have now are just loose cut yoga pants, too heavy, too loose, but I don't want something so tight and shorts that ride up. Is there something in between in a material good for running?
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #10  
Closet health nut!

At 144 5'5 you should be able to wear anything without too much trouble. My favorite are Nike running shorts with the built in underpants.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for this thread, ncuneo. (Your stats are inspiring, by the way!) I've just started running again, and am making good progress so far. In the past, running was the only way I was able to lose weight and stay motivated, and now that I've got my own treadmill, I have no excuses not to do it!

My goal for April is to get my mile time down a little. I'm at about 17min/mile now, and much of that is fast walking. I occasionally have knee problems, so I don't want to push it too much these first few weeks. I'm also adding minutes to my workout time, so that I spend at least 40 minutes on the treadmill each time (I started at about 20 min/day).

By the way, does anyone here use Nike+? I use it to record every workout, and it's great motivation for me to see the miles accumulate. I've joined a few challenges (for people at my level), and I find myself wanting to beat the people who are ranked slightly above me, even though they are complete strangers. If anyone is a Nike+ user, maybe we can add each other!
slowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
At 144 5'5 you should be able to wear anything without too much trouble. My favorite are Nike running shorts with the built in underpants.
Thanks. I just checked out the Nike shorts. The regular running shorts are so......short. LOL I still have a lot of lumps, bumps, and flab that would make me feel uncomfortable having it all bounce around for all to see. I did see a two-in-one that had a little compression short underneath the regular running shorts. I am going to check them out.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #13  
In the desert...

Ncuneo - I know it's not what you want to hear, but honestly - with a sprain or strain on a weight-bearing joint, I would go for total rest for at least a few days, if not a week. Even though it doesn't hurt when you're running, I would imagine it's being aggravated - the one time I sprained my ankle while horse riding, the doctor said 7-10 days of RICE and absolutely no running or riding or anything more than a gentle walk. It was torture but I think it allowed me to heal. But of course you know your body better than any of us so you have to do what you "hear" your body saying!

Slowrunner - I have a Garmin so I don't use Nike+ but it sounds interesting to challenge yourself against others. I just have myself to challenge against!

Aimee - I wear bike shorts (without the padding - just the style) and I personally LOVE compression shorts. I have several pairs of the bike style shorts and they work well to avoid chub rub, suck the wobbly bits in, and keep me cool enough in the summer. I only buy shorts in DriFit or CoolMax, those sort of silky feeling fabrics, as they dry fast and don't cling. I do have a couple of pairs of CW-X compression shorts, which are damn expensive, but I absolutely love them. I also have CW-X tights which I wear in the winter and they are fabulous - serious compression but it feels so supportive and keeps the jiggles down!

April already? Yikes. I started the month well with a 5k on Saturday where I beat my previous 5k time (which was my only goal) - 35:19, which beat 36:06. This run was gentle hills but it was also 75 degrees and windy as heck - running up a gentle hill with a 25mph headwind just sucks the life out of you! But I felt good for the most part. We're doing another 5k on the 23rd and my mother will be joining in - we just went to the local running store and got her some running shoes instead of the el cheapo cross trainers she's been jogging in. Hopefully that'll help with her form - at 69, I don't want her damaging anything! And I got another pair of the Brooks shoes I so love - in orange, so now I just need a purple pair to go with my first green ones and the new orange ones and I'll have a whole set!

I did a "speed" workout yesterday. I say speed but it was speedy for me. I did intervals around the park/elementary school a couple of blocks from me - one lap is 0.75 miles so it's easy to keep track of distance, but I ran for time instead. I got about five or six speed intervals in - I ran way faster than my comfort zone and really pushed myself to keep the pace up for longer than I wanted to. I have to work through that mental wall where it feels hard and I want to quit. My DH does quit - he fully admits it - so we're both working on that aspect.

I'm contemplating a 10k on June 18 - but it'll be hot here, and to make it even hotter, it's at the Speedway - but how cool to run on the NASCAR track???
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #14  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

I love adidas shorts in the quick dry material with the built in underwear. I also wear nike's but I have a few pair with thick trim that chafes on long runs so I'm sticking with adidas since I don't have problems with them. I also wear capri tights but not compression type, I haven't tried those. This time of year I'm wearing insulated tights from Lululemon (alpine tight and wunderunders).

I'm doing my long runs on Mondays, fewer people on the trails. Yesterday I did 16km on a hilly trail and felt great.

Today I did 40 minutes of interval speedwork on the treadmill. Tomorrow will be my first hill repeat workout. I picked out the toughest hill in the area and I'm hoping it will not be incredibly windy. Can't wait!
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #15  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Has anyone jumped on the barefoot trend? My DH got a pair last week and he loves them, and no blisters. His existing permablisters are improving even. So I decided to bite...I ordered these.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302889082

They aren't in yet but I'm dying to try them.
river is offline   Reply With Quote