Exercise! - April Running!

View Full Version : April Running!

ncuneo
04-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Newbies and veterans, come one come all and record your running in April!

No big goal for me this month, just keep on keeping on. My training for my next half is still a few months out so I'm just plugging along around 20 miles per week.

4 this morning, a little rough. My legs were really sore from ST this week. I was hoping for 5 but I just wasn't feeling it.

Have a great month everyone! Let's run!

KmbRN84
04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Ok so I have a question in running in the cold. I can jog for 30 min in 40 degree + weather. However, the other day it was in the low to min 30's and after maybe 2 minutes I was wheezing and my mouth and throat hurt. What gives? This happen to anyone else? Anyone have tips for jogging in the cold (not that I hope to need this any more this year :p).

Horo
04-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Oh, may I join?
I just started Day 1, Week 1 of the c25k program yesterday. I thought that since I am most definitely not starting from the "couch" that it wouldn't be too hard... wow, was I wrong. I just barely made it through the final running interval. It was a smack in the face about my physical fitness and a sore reminder of why I hated running in gym class. :b

Anyway, my goal for this month, I suppose, is to simply progress on through the program.

AriRuns
04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm running a 5k the first weekend in May, so my goal for April is to get there!

2.5 miles today (with 2 walking breaks thrown in, so not all running), then played soccer after so I got a little extra in even though I'm not technically counting it as a workout.

KmbRN84, sometimes the cold bothers me, other times it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. That's hardly helpful advice, I know. :/ It's supposed to be in the 60s next week though! (I'm in Columbus)

milmin2043
04-03-2011, 12:35 AM
I did a 5 mile run this morning, rode my bike 8 miles. Training for a duathlon in June and a half marathon on May 1st. Will start training for my full marathon in Dec. in the month of August.

I have had the problem with breathing and my lungs and throat while running in the cold. My doc told me it is a form of asthma that only affects you with cold temps. He gave me Pro-Air inhaler and it works like a charm when I start feeling those symptoms.

Horo
04-03-2011, 03:13 AM
I just completed Day 2 of Week 1 of c25k and I'm astounded at already how much easier it was for me this time. I hope I can keep progressing on at this pace!

ange82much
04-03-2011, 06:34 AM
I did my short long run of 17km on April 1 (yeah, sounds like nonsense, but hopefully some know what i'm on about???), and have been lazy since. I was working all day today (even thought it's Sunday for goodness sake!!!!) then went straight to the pub, but tomorrow is a new week and i'm back in to it........

ncuneo
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Well, I reaggravated my ankle (who saw that coming!). It's been about 3 or 4 weeks since the sprain and all was going fine, even though I was still running. Then Saturday, I tripped while kicking my sons toy across the carpet and it swelled right back up to the same size as it was after the spain. Man, did it hurt. So I did every thing I could not to run on Sunday, but I was walking my son to the park and it turned into a 3 miler. I tried to give myself some credit for not running the 8-10 I was supposed to. Of course it's still quite swollen and tender and this morning I smacked myself in the face and said, no you idiot you will not run today. So I'm bummed about that. I'm not sure how long I'll last though...because it just doesn't hurt when I run. I know that's no excuse, but taking it easy doesn't seem to be in vocabulary when it doesn't hury. I read an article once that if it doesn't hurt when you run or the pain subsides while you're running then it's ok to continue running. I sure hope that's true, otherwise I'm sure I'll run myself right into needing surgery or having to take off 6-8 weeks and then I'm sure I'll a total melt down.

Ok, sorry for the rant - have a great week everyone!

aimeebell
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
I did the C25K program straight through, ran in a 5K race, then decided I would run 2 miles or so four or five days a week, and throw in a 3-mile run on the days I felt I could swing it. Well, the 2.25 miles have felt rough every single time. Today, however, was a good day. I didn't feel any aches, any soreness, my breathing was good. I stopped at 2 miles, then realized I felt I could keep running and ended up doing the full 3.1 miles. I felt awesome. Strange how some days are just like that.

While I was running, I kept having to pull up my pants. So, I am going to need some new shorts or capris. I checked out the running section at Dick's, but everything looks so little and clingy. The pants I have now are just loose cut yoga pants, too heavy, too loose, but I don't want something so tight and shorts that ride up. Is there something in between in a material good for running?

ncuneo
04-04-2011, 11:20 PM
At 144 5'5 you should be able to wear anything without too much trouble. My favorite are Nike running shorts with the built in underpants.

slowrunner
04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks for this thread, ncuneo. (Your stats are inspiring, by the way!) I've just started running again, and am making good progress so far. In the past, running was the only way I was able to lose weight and stay motivated, and now that I've got my own treadmill, I have no excuses not to do it!

My goal for April is to get my mile time down a little. I'm at about 17min/mile now, and much of that is fast walking. I occasionally have knee problems, so I don't want to push it too much these first few weeks. I'm also adding minutes to my workout time, so that I spend at least 40 minutes on the treadmill each time (I started at about 20 min/day).

By the way, does anyone here use Nike+? I use it to record every workout, and it's great motivation for me to see the miles accumulate. I've joined a few challenges (for people at my level), and I find myself wanting to beat the people who are ranked slightly above me, even though they are complete strangers. If anyone is a Nike+ user, maybe we can add each other!

aimeebell
04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
At 144 5'5 you should be able to wear anything without too much trouble. My favorite are Nike running shorts with the built in underpants.

Thanks. I just checked out the Nike shorts. The regular running shorts are so......short. LOL I still have a lot of lumps, bumps, and flab that would make me feel uncomfortable having it all bounce around for all to see. I did see a two-in-one that had a little compression short underneath the regular running shorts. I am going to check them out.

julesp313
04-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Ncuneo - I know it's not what you want to hear, but honestly - with a sprain or strain on a weight-bearing joint, I would go for total rest for at least a few days, if not a week. Even though it doesn't hurt when you're running, I would imagine it's being aggravated - the one time I sprained my ankle while horse riding, the doctor said 7-10 days of RICE and absolutely no running or riding or anything more than a gentle walk. It was torture but I think it allowed me to heal. But of course you know your body better than any of us so you have to do what you "hear" your body saying!

Slowrunner - I have a Garmin so I don't use Nike+ but it sounds interesting to challenge yourself against others. I just have myself to challenge against!

Aimee - I wear bike shorts (without the padding - just the style) and I personally LOVE compression shorts. I have several pairs of the bike style shorts and they work well to avoid chub rub, suck the wobbly bits in, and keep me cool enough in the summer. I only buy shorts in DriFit or CoolMax, those sort of silky feeling fabrics, as they dry fast and don't cling. I do have a couple of pairs of CW-X compression shorts, which are damn expensive, but I absolutely love them. I also have CW-X tights which I wear in the winter and they are fabulous - serious compression but it feels so supportive and keeps the jiggles down!

April already? Yikes. I started the month well with a 5k on Saturday where I beat my previous 5k time (which was my only goal) - 35:19, which beat 36:06. This run was gentle hills but it was also 75 degrees and windy as heck - running up a gentle hill with a 25mph headwind just sucks the life out of you! But I felt good for the most part. We're doing another 5k on the 23rd and my mother will be joining in - we just went to the local running store and got her some running shoes instead of the el cheapo cross trainers she's been jogging in. Hopefully that'll help with her form - at 69, I don't want her damaging anything! And I got another pair of the Brooks shoes I so love - in orange, so now I just need a purple pair to go with my first green ones and the new orange ones and I'll have a whole set!

I did a "speed" workout yesterday. I say speed but it was speedy for me. I did intervals around the park/elementary school a couple of blocks from me - one lap is 0.75 miles so it's easy to keep track of distance, but I ran for time instead. I got about five or six speed intervals in - I ran way faster than my comfort zone and really pushed myself to keep the pace up for longer than I wanted to. I have to work through that mental wall where it feels hard and I want to quit. My DH does quit - he fully admits it - so we're both working on that aspect.

I'm contemplating a 10k on June 18 - but it'll be hot here, and to make it even hotter, it's at the Speedway - but how cool to run on the NASCAR track??? :)

river
04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I love adidas shorts in the quick dry material with the built in underwear. I also wear nike's but I have a few pair with thick trim that chafes on long runs so I'm sticking with adidas since I don't have problems with them. I also wear capri tights but not compression type, I haven't tried those. This time of year I'm wearing insulated tights from Lululemon (alpine tight and wunderunders).

I'm doing my long runs on Mondays, fewer people on the trails. Yesterday I did 16km on a hilly trail and felt great.

Today I did 40 minutes of interval speedwork on the treadmill. Tomorrow will be my first hill repeat workout. I picked out the toughest hill in the area and I'm hoping it will not be incredibly windy. Can't wait!

river
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Has anyone jumped on the barefoot trend? My DH got a pair last week and he loves them, and no blisters. His existing permablisters are improving even. So I decided to bite...I ordered these.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444263 5323&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302889082

They aren't in yet but I'm dying to try them.

indiblue
04-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi running chicks! Quick update- I had posted a few weeks ago about wanting to start running again but fearful of doing so because of a hip malformation I have that has gotten progressively worse over the last 10 years (note: I'm only 24 years old, it's a deformity, not an injury).

Anyway, I have started running against the advice of a doctor to see how far I could go before pain set in. I'm up to a 20 minute treadmill run with zero pain and so thrilled. I love running and would be ecstatic to be able to do 5Ks again. I have terrible joints (impingement in my hip and associated snapping ITB/snapping hip syndrome, Osgood-Schlatter in my knee, ankles and elbows that pop) so I don't want to push much beyond that. I used to be able to run 5 miles easily throughout high school and college so being able to do any run of substance would be wonderful.

Anyway hope to frequent this board a little bit more now that I am able to run a bit these days :)

julesp313
04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
River - I'm contemplating buying some Vibram Bikilas this weekend from REI as we just got our annual dividend (a good chunk this year as I bought a bike from REI). I've heard the Bikilas are good as they were specifically designed for running. I love my Brooks running shoes and doubt I'll become a complete convert, but the idea of "barefoot" running on softer surfaces or for one run a week seems very intriguing. I think the key with the barefoot thing is to ease into it, as I will surely be doing!

Indiblue - welcome back, so to speak! I hope you continue to run without pain - there's nothing as frustrating as wanting to run and being sidelined by your body (speaking from experience).

As for me - did 2.6 miles today in very gusty winds and warm temps (around 30-40mph gusts and 70 degrees at 6am). My legs felt heavy - I think I need to move my leg workout to a running day, so on my cross-training days, I'm only doing upper body weights and maybe some body-weight squats, instead of a full-blown weights workout for my legs. I'll give that switch a try and see how it goes - my Monday run, which was after a rest day (just horse riding) was by far my best run in a long time. Something to be said for resting!

ncuneo
04-06-2011, 07:38 PM
4.5 miles for me today and 2 yesterday...why can't I rest...ugh. Jules, I hear ya. I just can't tell you how much stress release running provides me and it's been a stressful week. SO many things going on at work and my grandparents are in town, which is throwing my eating off which is terrifing for me as a newer maintainer. So I'm just being careful as best I can. It doesn't hurt, but is still swollen...

river
04-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Jules, my hubby got bikilas. Loves them. He jumped right into high milage with them, his first run with them was 11km, and he wore them with me on my long run a few days ago.

Today my mind wanted to run, my knees did not. I allowed the knees the day of rest, hopefully they feel great tomorrow.

joyfulloser
04-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Had left knee injury (tendon/ligament overstretch issue). Kept running on it for two weeks....got worse...taking a week off to do spring cleaning and heal now.:)

Glad to hear everyone is truckin along!:carrot:

joyfulloser
04-07-2011, 07:40 AM
4.5 miles for me today and 2 yesterday...why can't I rest...ugh....

Because it feels soooo darn good!:D

mkroyer
04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
RE: barefoot running
excellent for people bio-mechanically designed for it. i.e; high arches.
Could cause bad problems if you are flat footed
HOWEVER, i will say that incorporating even 1 short run a week barefooted willl completetly change your running form even when you put shoes back on (for the better) it will unteach that nasty heel-strike that 99% of runners have........ force you to run on the balls/midpoint of your feet, create a much much quicker turnover, etc.
Be prepared for the SOREST CALVES YOU CAN IMAGINE. mine are almost unbearably sore for at least 3 days following a barefoot run

mkroyer
04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Ncueno-- G*DDA**T REST YOUR ANKLE
you are not, i repeat NOT going to gain weight back
buckle down on nutrition and track closely while you take a week off.
YOU WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT BACK OR LOSE FITNESS

do i need to say it again?

slowrunner
04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Still continuing on the treadmill, though only about 2 miles at a time. I'm quite slow, so much so that perhaps I need to start a separate "April Walking Really Fast!" thread, but I'm still plugging away. I figure since the goal is weight loss, not winning races, the minutes are more important than the miles!

mkroyer Is that true about high arches and barefoot running? I thought it was just the opposite, since arch support is so important (especially for those with extra pounds). I'm sure it seems fine at first, but long-term, wouldn't it have some damaging effects to arch? I ask because I have really high arches, and ended up in a lot of pain after maybe a year of regularly wearing shoes without arch support (daily wear, not necessarily exercise shoes). I live in a hot/humid climate and used to wear sandals year-round until I developed major foot problems. The doctor said it was plantar fasciitis, and that someone with high arches should avoid shoes with no arch support, and she even told me I ought to find slippers with arch support for when I'm inside (we don't wear shoes inside the house here). It took another year for the pain to completely go away after I changed my footwear and had some physical therapy. These days, I still definitely feel it later when I walk around my house barefoot and without slippers, and even more so after I do some kind of barefoot activity like Wii Fit, so I couldn't imagine barefoot running being healthy for the foot, even with special footwear designed for it.

mkroyer
04-07-2011, 02:00 PM
the high areches are actually great because your arch in your foot is designed to act as a spring when you step or run, and also as a shock absorber. WHen you wear shoes, with or with support, it takes away the fundamental purpose of the arch.... they cant spring in shoes........ i imagine now for you it has just developed to the point where they arches are always aggravated. ALso barefoot running actually increases the STRENGTH in your arch. Flat footed peeople end up hitting with the wrong part of the foot, and without high arches, acting as springs AND shock absorbers... big problems develop

ncuneo
04-07-2011, 03:08 PM
MK, I knew you were gonna yell at me :) I know, I know, I know. I promise I'll take it "easy" for the next week;) And if I come back here again whining, "oh...I reagravated it again" I promise who's ever willing to come to SoCal can come tie me to a chair for a week.

Gym today, just yoga and ST and doing everything in my power NOT to warm up with a short run on the treadmill.

mkroyer
04-07-2011, 06:38 PM
ONLY UPPER BODY Ncuneo! Promise

ncuneo
04-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Promise :)

lackadaisy
04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone! I usually don't self-identify as a runner but now my mileage is getting respectable enough that I can, I think. :)

After 5.5 miles yesterday -- not all at once, I'm not that good yet, but I ran to a community run, run with them, and run home -- I took today as a rest more because my legs were just grumpy with me than out of choice. Just did some "easy" (but SO brutal) Pilates instead. I have a 4.5-miles-each-way run with friends planned for tomorrow, plus 1.1 to get there, so we'll see how it goes... I might need to take public transportation back if I don't want to be too exhausted for my hike on Saturday.

krampus
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
So far been running twice in April. First two times in over a month and a half. I'm not in the best shape I've ever been in, to say the least, but it feels so good to be getting back into it. I still have residual soreness in my left Achilles area and right foot, but it doesn't seem to be aggravated by running. But I walk a minimum of 4 miles every day (to work and back) so it's hard to tell.

slowrunner
04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
I took a rest day yesterday, and still had a whole 1-pound loss this morning! I always have mixed emotions when that happens, knowing I needed the rest day, but still feeling wary of losing too much in a day. I'm sure it helped that I slept later than usual and that I ate dinner rather early yesterday (4:30) because of a funky work schedule.

For those of you who are still losing and weigh yourself more regularly (I don't count calories, but I'm obsessive about weighing - spreadsheets, graphs, and all that - great motivation for me), do you ever notice patterns related to your running schedule?

mkroyer Good to know, though I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon. Perhaps after the weight comes off, it will be something to look into!

krampus 4 miles to and from work? Do you keep it up in the summer, too, or only in cooler weather? I also live about 2 miles from my office, and have thought about starting to walk to work, but it gets so humid in Taipei, I'm afraid of arriving too sweaty. Maybe I will try it out this weekend when I work in the mornings, and see how that goes!

krampus
04-08-2011, 03:14 AM
slowrunner Summer is brutal here too, but walking is my only means of getting to/from work so I just deal with it. My office's climate control is pitiful at best so it hardly makes a difference in the summer!

indiblue
04-09-2011, 04:41 AM
25 minutes nonstop today with no pain! This is the longest I've run in almost a year since being diagnosed with hip impingement and being told not to do any physical activity until I get surgery. Conservative treatments include PT and letting the pain be my guide, so that's what I'm going by right now. I'll take tomorrow off and try to only do three runs a week. For now, basking in this mini-victory.

slowrunner
04-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Congrats, indiblue! It's got to be frustrating to battle with weight and physical limitations at the same time. I've been trying to stay in tune with what my body has been telling me also, and hopefully I'll be able to avoid injury in the long-term. Keep it up!

As for me, I left a little earlier for work this morning with the aim of walking the 2 miles to get there. Thanks for the motivation, krampus! I normally drive my scooter on the weekends (7 minutes), or take the MRT if it rains (maybe 15 minutes), so doubling my commute time by walking was a foreign concept to me. That may be why, despite the fact that I pride myself on being good at math (I teach math! Shameful!), I completely failed to take into consideration exactly how many minutes it normally takes me to walk a mile! I gave myself 30 minutes for a distance that normally takes me at least 35, even if I jog part of it! And that's not even counting time waiting at stop lights. Luckily, since I live two stops from my work, I just hopped on the train at the next station I passed, and was able to get to work on time. I felt sweaty and gross when I arrived, but I luckily didn't need to see any students for the first hour, and managed to look a little fresher by my first appointment.

In any case, I really enjoyed the walk, and would like to keep it up. It was nice to get off the treadmill, and the breeze and sunshine were so lovely this morning that I wished I could just skip work altogether and spend the day walking around the city. I was even going to walk home from work this evening because I'd cut the morning walk short, but I ended up working 2 hours late, and could think of nothing but dinner by that point. I'll definitely do it again tomorrow, and be a little more realistic about my walking time!

julesp313
04-09-2011, 03:32 PM
MK - I have pretty average arches, definitely not flat footed, and I'm running in neutral shoes, which are way better for me than the stability shoes I wore pre-surgery. I know there is a whole barefoot proponent movement and while I doubt I will become as passionate about it as some, I think there's a lot to be said for trying something more akin to how our bodies should run, ie: without shoes changing the way you move!

I did get the Bikilas - with my 20% coupon and our dividend, I was out $27 for them. I've worn them around the house and just today went to the grocery store in them. They are insanely comfy for practically non-shoes! I haven't tried running in them, but simply walking in them feels good and I can absolutely tell my body is feeling it - not pain, but things are shifting. I'll keep wearing them for short periods of time and if I can find a track, with some cushioning, I may even try a run!

Ran 3.5 this morning, which is the longest run of my adult life (so wonderful and yet so sad!). It was cold - 40 degrees - but it felt really good. I took Gatorade in one of my fuel bottles and I think it helped, either actually or psychologically! I need to start running with an energy drink, even on short runs, as it is so dry here and soon it'll be 80 degrees at 5am when I run, and I know I need to stay hydrated and keep things balanced. Any suggestions other than Gatorade, which is at least pretty cheap!

river
04-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Has anyone read Born to Run yet? I am loving that book!

MK, I do have high arches and find that supportive shoes and orthotics make my foot pain worse. I can't wait for my shoes to get here, I'll be hitting the trails for a few miles as soon as they arrive. My DH is super fit and he did find a lot of muscle pain in his calves, so I am expecting that too.

Ran 6km yesterday, replaced today's 6km with a trail walk with a fun friend, and tomorrow or Monday is my long run, 16km this week.

river
04-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Jules, any time I'm running longer than an hour I add things to my water. Some things to try are: electrolyte tablets, honey, fruit juice. Right now I drop in an electrolyte tab with my water and bring a gel on the run.

I've made a homemade sport drink before consisting of 1/2 cup juice (I used blueberry), 1/8 tsp salt, 2 cups water.

cheryl126
04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
hey everyone, now that it's getting nice out, I'm going to have to join this thread again! I ran 3.5 miles today in beautiful sunny spring weather along the river here:)

River: I have the Bikilas and I love them!! I actually bought them after reading Born to Run last fall.

I just want to say that although it may be tempting to wear them for a regular run right away and your hubby ran a decent distance right off the bat, proceed with caution! The runners world barefoot forum is full of people who started off trying to go too fast or too far and ended up with injuries. It's hard to start out slow with reduced mileage though because your gait feels so much more natural in the barefoot shoes. However, your stride will likely be modified by them so you'll be using muscles that have been neglected for a long time. The first time I wore them, I ran about a mile and could barely walk for a week. Really, barely walk. We're not just talking about not being able to walk down stairs, but just walk. It took probably a month of really short runs to be able to train my muscles, but then I was getting personal best 5k times every time I ran...it was pretty crazy! I wear them every time I run now and haven't gone running in normal shoes since November. I ran in them all winter -when the ice/snow permitted;)

joyfulloser
04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I will run today for the first time in 8 days...my left knee injury is about 90% healed...and since I was Born To Run...Run...I MUST!:carrot:

river
04-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Awesome advice, thanks Cheryl. I'm going to be careful the first few runs and not push it, since I need to keep my milage up until after my race.

julesp313
04-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Cheryl - very sound advice and something I've read over and over again (and yet I'm sure many people still ignore it!). I'm wearing my Bikilas just around the house and on short walks - as MKRoyer said, my calves are really feeling it already. Strangely, after my knee surgery, I've found my calves seem to be the weakest/tightest part of my body - pre-surgery, it was my hamstrings by far. My calves look strong but they're the body part that aches the most when I run - of course I have to keep in mind that half of pretty much all my runs are uphill, and that's going to have an impact on my lower legs. I stretch my calves before and after any workout and I'm using the foam roller after running, which feels really good. Wearing the Bikilas made my calves REALLY ache, but in that good way where you know you've worked your muscles!

River - thanks for the suggestions on the energy drinks. I got a couple of packets of Cytomax in my race packet from last week so I'll try that, and the Gatorade seemed to help. I've also been told Accelerade is good but it's quite a bit more expensive than Gatorade, so I'm going to try and find a single-serve packet to try it before I spend $30 on a tub!

Today is my rest day, so I'm taking it easy and just enjoying being lazy (except for riding my horse and cleaning the house a bit). I've been finding if I do my "hard" run on Saturday then take Sunday off, my "speed" intervals (I use the term speed loosely for me!) on Monday are so much stronger. Clearly rest days are very beneficial for me - and I worked out six days this past week, so I for sure need this one day off from formal exercise. Can't wait for the mornings to become lighter so I can get out and run four days a week - the late spring and summer are my favorite running times, even though the summer gets hotter than ****!

ncuneo
04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I'm a big fat liar...I haven't rested at all. I ran a 2 mile warm up the day I promised to do only upper body follow by yoga and a 5 miler Friday. Today I did 10. The good news...the last 3 runs have been the best of the season. Also the swelling in my ankle has decreased dramatically. It's hardly swollen at all today and I'm about 95% pain free. Now that's not to say I haven't learned the lesson or heard all the suggestions. In hind sight I should have taken a week off when it happened in the first place. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend all!

joyfulloser
04-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Ran 5.4 miles today...feels GREAT! Strong run...but still a little pain (nagging) in left knee.:( See how run goes tomorrow...grrrrhhhh!!! I HATE injuries!:p

aimeebell
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
When I began running just 10 weeks ago, I never aspired to run farther than 3.1 miles. Heck, just three weeks ago on race day, I told a friend that I was going 3.1 miles and never one step further LOL Today, I covered up the display on the treadmill and told myself I would run until I was de-stressed or until my body refused to move any further.....Well, I ran out of time before either of those happened, and I ran 4.25 miles. I felt like I was floating that last mile, totally in the elusive "zone" I have been searching for.

aimeebell
04-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Ran 5.4 miles today...feels GREAT! Strong run...but still a little pain (nagging) in left knee.:( See how run goes tomorrow...grrrrhhhh!!! I HATE injuries!:p

I hope your runs are pain-free soon!

krampus
04-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Pleasant 30-minute jog yesterday morning, the cherry blossoms were in full bloom and it was a wonderful start to the day. Noticed that warm weather makes breathing harder. I actually prefer running in cold (35-45 F)!

I'm a bit sore today (Monday lunchtime); I did a mini mountain hike in Puma street sneakers (it was totally spontaneous and unplanned; in retrospect I was an idiot for not bringing snacks because I got lightheaded-hungry on the descent) on Saturday.

Big (6 hour, chains and steep stairs) hike coming up on Sunday. Wondering how I should work running into the mix? I'm thinking it would be wise to take Saturday off and take hillier routes during the week.

In good news my Achilles pain seems to have scampered off, leaving me with just a little residual pain on the top of my right foot that is exacerbated by wearing bad street/dress shoes but not by running or wearing trainers/sneakers.

joyfulloser
04-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Aimeebell:running just 10 weeks ago, I never aspired to run farther than 3.1 miles. Heck, just three weeks ago on race day, I told a friend that I was going 3.1 miles and never one step further

THIS^^ was ME exactly!;) Now sometimes I still shake my head in disbelief that I'm running over 20 miles a week at more than 5 miles a run.:?: crazy the human body...amazing actually!:D

Krampus - Love your new avi...very pretty. Glad to read your getting back into your groove.;)

calluna
04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
hello, all...I do run but mostly haven't been posting in this forum. I think it might be good for me to do so. I also bike and swim, though, and not sure I should post those in this thread.

4/6 2 mi 22 min
4/8 3 mi 35 mins
4/10 3.2 mi 37.5 mins (in the snow, as the back half of a brick workout)

Total last week: 8.2 mi, 1hr 34.5 mins

This week

indiblue
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Last week I upped my running to 25 minutes (4 K/2.5 miles). Yesterday I did the same routine and plan to do it once more on Wednesday, increasing my time to 30 minutes at the same speed on Friday. Rule of thumb is 10% mileage increases a week, right, so it would be reasonable to increase to 30 mins after three 25 min workouts with one day rest spaced in between?

I'm kind of new to this whole 'run responsibly to avoid re-injury thing :D

joyfulloser
04-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Rare but beautiful run outdoors this morning...5 miles!:D Aaaahhh how I love the fresh air, bird chirping and being the skinny chick passing everybody on the track (for a change..haha!):p

Indiblue - I just go by how I feel. Seriously. If I feel I can do more one week...I go as far as my body will take me...If I feel I can't do more...or I need to do LESS...I do LESS. Listen to YOUR BODY is my best advice. Remember...it's not how much you do at one time, it's how long you do it for...consistency is key...JUST DO IT!:)

indiblue
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Indiblue - I just go by how I feel. Seriously. If I feel I can do more one week...I go as far as my body will take me...If I feel I can't do more...or I need to do LESS...I do LESS. Listen to YOUR BODY is my best advice. Remember...it's not how much you do at one time, it's how long you do it for...consistency is key...JUST DO IT!:)

Usually this would make so much sense to me- just let the body be the guide. That's how my eating is right now. But I tend to push myself because I don't have any pain and then end up irritating my hip. I'm trying to take it slow before I start getting cues of a reinjury... I'm just not sure how slow or fast that means.

Your run this morning sounds wonderful by the way!

julesp313
04-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Indiblue - rule of thumb is 10% increase week over week, whether that's time or distance. Being a ridiculous Type A person, I have a spreadsheet with my planned workouts, the total planned distance, and the maximum distance I should run based on the previous week. Yeah, it's anal but it works for me!

I did my "speed" workout yesterday, which was really great then really hard... the last interval sapped me and I was heaving for air, but it was all good. 2.8 miles, no clue of my speed or time, but I did two more speed intervals than I had planned so it was good overall. Today was upper body weights and stretching, tomorrow will be an easy run. The mornings are getting lighter, earlier, now so I can get up at 5:30am and be out at 5:45 and it be just light enough to see, which is perfect. Now all I need is the weather to warm up so I don't have to layer up, only to strip off, and all will be right in my world! :)

krampus
04-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Dragged myself out of bed early and went on a pleasant 30 minute jog through the rice paddies before work. I don't know how fast I'm going or how far, but I'm guessing I went somewhere around 3 miles. It feels so great to have running back as part of my normal life!

river
04-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I got an injury on Sunday, I haven't run since, rested it and feel like I'm back to normal now and want to get on with things. Run tomorrow for sure! Ironically, the injury is just some sore tendons on the outside of my foot, and they became sore after a hike, not a run. :D

Today my vibram five finger shoes showed up and I promptly threw them on and jumped on the treadmill. Banged out an easy mile and everything felt great!! I love them and didn't feel any pain or discomfort. I'm not a big heel striker now so it didn't feel like my stride was foreign. It did feel a little different, in that I was leaning further over my feet, but not a huge change for me. The run was short, so I don't feel anything at all in my calves.

joyfulloser
04-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Another GREAT morning...another GREAT 5 Mile RUN at the park!:D

slowrunner
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Still not really running, only in 1-minute spurts when on the treadmill, but have been loving my walks outside! krampus, thanks for giving me the motivation to start walking to/from work!

julesp313
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
River - ouch! Sore tendons are nasty, but hopefully you're healing fast. I have yet to run in my Vibrams but I keep wearing them around the house - they're so comfy for such odd looking shoes. I think I may go to the indoor track at one of our city rec centers and give it a go there - the track is cushioned so I think it would be the safest way to start out.

Joyful - aren't morning runs a great way to start the day?

Slowrunner - it sounds like you're doing things just right, by slowly building up your running. Best way to progress and avoid injuries!

As for me, I ran 3 miles this morning and it was wonderful. I mapped a route that was mostly flat, apart from the gentle hill in the first 0.7 miles and a gentle hill at the end. I felt a bit rough on the flat part, like my legs were heavy, but then I found my rhythm and just got into it. Days like that - when I get into a mental zone and my physical body can keep up - are so great.

Then one of the women I work with, who's a runner, forced me - against my will, of course - to register for the random drawing for the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco in October. She and a group of her friends from college have registered and apparently if you have a group ID, if one of the group members gets picked in the drawing, everyone in the group gets in. Registration is open til April 22, if anyone is interested, and the confirmed spots should be known by late April. I sort of registered without thinking it through, but if I were to get a spot, I would make it a long weekend in San Francisco with my hubby, run the race on Sunday, then I have to fly from there to LA to teach new hires for my company. Oy. I may have been a bit impetuous with this one! But the entries are way oversubscribed so the odds are not too high that I'll get in. I guess we'll just wait and see.

river
04-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I feel great today and just jumped back into my program like I hadn't taken a few extra days off. Ran on the treadmill in my new vibrams. It was great, went a little slower than normal but still did 3 miles in 30 minutes. My calves feel worked but not in a bad way.

calluna
04-14-2011, 01:51 PM
4/6 2 mi 22 min
4/8 3 mi 35 mins
4/10 3.2 mi 37.5 mins (in the snow, as the back half of a brick workout)
4/13 2.5 mi 30 mins

Total: 10.7 mi, 2 hr 4.5 mins

Yesterday was a good day, although the run was sort of wonky. Tried taking Pyr #1, the puppy, for first mile and it worked fine. Pyr #2 wasn't about to run if there wasn't something to chase, so I took him home - that was the extra half mile. Second full mile was just me and my pace was better, but I really didn't find a groove yesterday.

cheryl126
04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I feel great today and just jumped back into my program like I hadn't taken a few extra days off. Ran on the treadmill in my new vibrams. It was great, went a little slower than normal but still did 3 miles in 30 minutes. My calves feel worked but not in a bad way.

That's awesome that you were able to jump right into it! Maybe I was more of a heel striker and that's why it took me a little longer to acclimate.

I just got back from a phenomenal run along the river here in Boston. I love spring!! It was actually nice to have to dodge the geese on the running trail- so much nicer than dodging slush puddles.

With the Boston Marathon coming up in a few days, there were a lot of really serious runners out there, which made me feel like I was just plodding along:o My friend went running this morning and she said she saw some of the elite African runners out there this morning. I'm excited for the race on Monday, but mostly because everyone here gets the day off for it, lol. It really snarls up traffic, so I think it would be really tough for many people to commute.

joyfulloser
04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Joyful - aren't morning runs a great way to start the day?

Yes...its ADDICTIVE!:cool: I had to actually STOP myself from going out this morning for my run (I normally don't like to run consecutive days to avoid injuries). It was a near perfect mix of cool and sunny.:mad:

Hopefully weather is good tomorrow morning...cuz I'll be a running fool again!:carrot:

julesp313
04-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Joyful - I run consecutively only on Fri/Sat - but I do a very easy run on Friday and my "long" run on Saturday. I also run Mon/Wed but like you, I prefer not to put runs back to back. But I was tempted today as well - the weather is near perfect for running at 6am right now. We only get a couple of weeks of this before it starts to be a bit too warm to run - even though I run through the summer because at 5am, it's the coolest it's going to be during the day!

I have a 2.5 mile very easy run planned for tomorrow, and a 3.7 mile run for Saturday. Yes, that's my long run! I'm building up super slowly as I don't want to risk my knee falling apart again - one surgery was enough on that. The following weekend I have a 5k, so while I won't get my "long" run in, I'll be doing that one with a time goal - if the weather cooperates, I'm aiming for under 34 minutes, which is fast for me. I am the very definition of a Penguin, per John Bingham!

Hlthgrl
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
I am starting the C25K program next week (getting fitted for a proper pair of running shoes this weekend). You've all got me very excited to start. I've tried running before but approached it with the lack of knowledge but head on enthusiasm of a 4 year old on the playgroud :) Needless to say without proper footwear and with poor technique I wasn't very successful. This time I'm feeling much better about it and know it's not a race. Take my time and methodically become the runner I always hoped I could be!

I did have a question for you all. Do you alternate indoor and outdoor running? I plan to run outdoors and got rid of my treadmill a few years back (kicking myself for that decision now). Any other tips anyone has would be welcome.

river
04-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I did have a question for you all. Do you alternate indoor and outdoor running? I plan to run outdoors and got rid of my treadmill a few years back (kicking myself for that decision now). Any other tips anyone has would be welcome.

Congrats on starting to run again! I prefer to run outdoors. I do have a treadmill in my home and use it if my ankle feels less than 100%(I've had some sprains) or if it's super windy (often it is here). I traveled a lot this winter to warmer climates, and all my runs were outdoors when I traveled. Back home in NS, I ran indoors to avoid the ice and further ankle injuries. Long runs really need to be outdoors for me, I can't spend 90-120 minutes on the treadmill, I would go insane.

Today I wore my adidas, not my vibrams, since it was a 5.75 mile interval run and I wanted to focus on speed during the fast bits.

Cheryl, I have read lots of reports of people who need lots of time to gradually adjust their stride, luckily I am not a heavy heel striker, which I knew when I ordered the five fingers. I also have super high arches, which are a plus for getting used to them too. My calves were a bit more sore today than they normally would have been after a 3 mile run.

aimeebell
04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I am starting the C25K program next week (getting fitted for a proper pair of running shoes this weekend).

Have fun with it! I started the C25K plan three years ago, but didn't get past one mile because I hurt my knee walking up to the track, go figure. I finally got around to beginning the program again in late January and ran my first race in March. I did most of my training on a treadmill because of the cold weather, and I think it was much easier on my knees. They are getting stronger though; I ran outside today with absolutely no knee pain, which is a first for an outside run.
As for tips, I found a C25K app on my ipod to be very helpful.

aimeebell
04-14-2011, 08:29 PM
First of all, I ran into Marshall's today to exchange my size medium running shorts for a large, tried on the large, and found the large to be way too....large. How frustrating. BUT I tried on a couple sports bras while I was there. I have tried on at least 50 bras, and have not found a single one I liked. Today, I put one on and was like WOW! This feels great! This keeps the girls in place! This went on easy! This is $12.99! Much better than the one I had settled on last month and had to double-up on. This is big exciting news for me! LOL The perfect sports bra search has finally paid off!

Secondly, I then took a run outside. I have only ran a handful of times outside for three reasons, the weather, my knees prefer the treadmill, and I was still feeling like I didn't quite belong outside running like a "real" runner (silly!). But it is easier to run outside. I am faster even with slopes and wind, don't struggle as much with breathing, and the time flies by. Today, I finished running and said "That was fun!" My kids were there, so at least I wasn't talking aloud to myself! LOL I felt like a runner.

Hlthgrl
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback :)

River: I'm in NS too coincidentally. I'm starting now so I will have until next winter before I have to worry about the weather interfereing too much I hope. If I am successful at this and start running with any regularity I might invest in another treadmill to get me through the wintery months.

Aimeebell: Thanks. I just found an app for my smartphone!

ncuneo
04-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Let's see...I did 7 Monday, I had the day off and thought I'd take advantage. I then decided to take Tuesday and Wednesday off to rest my ankle. Yesterday I did a 2 mile warm up before ST and 4.5 this morning. Now someone explain this to me. My ankle was more swollen on my days off then on the days I ran. And going into a run my ankle was a little swollen then hardly swollen at all after the run, and now hours later still not much swelling. Still no pain really and getting better any day. So I'm at a loss. I guess I'll just keep montitoring my body.

This weekend, just my normal 8-10 long run on Sunday.

Happy running all!

river
04-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow ncuneo, that IS weird. I can say that after many ankle sprains I have never experienced that.

Hlthgrl, is there a Running Room store around you? Runners of all abilities go to those run groups, it may be a good place for you to check out. Lots of people here do run outdoors all year round, I however, am a cold weather wimp. The blisteringly cold wind we have been getting the past few months when the weather looks so innocent from the indoors is really pissing me off.

Today was a regularly scheduled off day for me, so I just did 30 minutes of yoga, no run.

Hlthgrl
04-16-2011, 11:59 AM
River: I was at a Running Room today to get a proper pair of running shoes but there's none enough for me to join a group. DH and I are planning to run together. Hopefully we can keep each other motivated. I'll focus on the short term and becoming a runner and if I'm still at it this fall I'll have a back up plan. I'm not one for the cold either and our area is very windy! A treadmill might be in my future if I get good at this :)

indiblue
04-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Blah. Friday was an awful run. I couldn't run continuously. I don't know if it was motivation or heat or what. I ended up doing intervals of 10 min running/2.5 walking for 45 minutes. Saturday was fine, a regular 4K run.

Why is it with running, more than any other sport it seems, off-days seem REALLY off? What makes a bad running day and are they avoidable?

EDIT: Took Sunday off, then did a 30 minute/5K today. Yip yip! Not what I would have considered impressive a few years ago in college, but the longest I've run since my hip impingement diagnosis. Having some discomfort in that hip but nothing I'm going to let keep me sidelined.. for now.

Callahan
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok so I have a question in running in the cold. I can jog for 30 min in 40 degree + weather. However, the other day it was in the low to min 30's and after maybe 2 minutes I was wheezing and my mouth and throat hurt. What gives? This happen to anyone else? Anyone have tips for jogging in the cold (not that I hope to need this any more this year :p).

If you're an RN (guessing from your screen name), you should know that wheezing is NEVER normal. You likely have mild exercise-induced asthma that flairs up with dual triggers of cold and exercise. The cheapie option is to wear a scarf or balaclava to cover your mouth so your're breathing in warm air. The less cheapie option is to see your PCP and discuss the possibilities of medical treatment, most likely an albuterol inhaler taken before exercise. But I'm not YOUR medical provider, so consider this general friendly advice.

julesp313
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
I've just been stupidly busy and haven't even been on this site since I last posted! But I've been running. Let's see... I posted last Thursday. Friday I ran 2.5 miles and it was nice and easy. Saturday I ran 3.9 which is my longest run to date - I went on our local 35 mile bike loop and it was perfect weather so I really enjoyed that one. Sunday I took the day off. Monday I did 2.5 miles of speed drills, Tuesday I did weights, and this morning I did 3 miles. I ran part of this morning way faster than I should - or thought I could - because some guy, who appeared to be homeless and possibly high or drunk, was following me and yelling at me, so I sped up. I checked my Garmin after my run and my max. pace was 8:28 - clearly being scared by a strange man is good for my pace! I have an easy run planned for Friday and a 5k on Saturday that, if the weather stays in the 70's, could be a PR for me - I really would love to do a sub 30 5k at some point, but I'm not there yet. We'll see what Saturday brings!

Anyone do trail runs? I'd love to try some. There's a trail running club not far from my house but I freak out at the idea of running with a group as I'm sure I'd be the slowest by far...

julesp313
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Where did everyone go?

I took yesterday off, but had to run this morning for sanity - just 2 miles, nice and easy, as I have a 5k tomorrow and I'm hoping to put a good time in. But my brain needed to run more than the rest of me, so I just did an easy one. Tomorrow's "race" should be really fun - it's on the university campus so no traffic or streets to deal with, and it's billed as "fast and flat" so I may even see a PR! It's about time I improved - my PR right now is from three years ago. Sucks to get older!

river
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi Jules, yes I do trail runs, I did my 16k on the trails a few weeks ago. I try to be extra careful to watch my footing since I have some stretched ankle ligaments, but I have dogs and I love the trails so I don't let it keep me off them.

While not a group runner myself, I have run with groups before, and you may find it fun or that it elevates your pace. You should give it a try, just to see if you enjoy it. Good luck with the 5k.

Indie- I don't know why but I agree, a bad run makes me wonder WHY I run. But a good run is amazing and makes up for it. I usually get myself through those bad runs by telling myself that it's the hard runs that make me a stronger runner/person.

Hlthgrl- keep us up to date on your running adventures. We're moving into the fun running season here in NS.

ncuneo- how's the ankle?

My training is going along well, just a few blisters that are making things a little more difficult that they need to be, I'm trying different socks/2nd skin/glide/different shoes, etc. I cannot wait for my half to be over next month so I can fully transition to my vibrams.

Robsia
04-24-2011, 09:03 AM
River - I tried on those five finger shoes at the Marathon exhibition last Sunday on London - I had never even heard of them before and saw this guy trying them on and running with them and thought they looked really freaky, but was interested enough to try them.

I hads a little experiemtnal jog on the treadmill they had there and was intrigued, although I didn't buy any there and then - but I was seriously considering getting some for the summer.

Can you keep us informed as to how you go on with them?

I haven't been able to run since my Marathon last Sunday as, although all my other aches and pains have happily gone, I have a pain on the outside of my left foot - it's right in the middle of the outer edge of the foot if that makes sense.

For two days after the Marathon it was very swollen and red and I thought I might have had a stress fracture, but just as I had decided to get it x-rayed, it started to go down and now, although the swelling and redness has totally gone - the pain doesn't seem to be getting any better. On a scale of one to ten, it's about a four, so not a tremendous pain, but when I walk for more than a minute or so it hurts and I don't dare risk running on it.

Not sure what to do for the best - whether to go to the hospital and be turned away after waiting for four hours, or just bide my time and rest up and hope it gets better.

aimeebell
04-25-2011, 09:38 AM
My 10-year-old decided to run with me Saturday. He went two full miles without stopping or complaining. I was so proud of him. I stayed near to the park, so he could stop and play with his brothers if he got tired, but he wanted to keep going.

On Easter morning, I decided I was going to run in my own neighborhood for the first time. I am feeling like a "real runner" lately and am less worried about what people think of my jiggly self running by. Although I logically know they aren't thinking a darn thing, I just have never been comfortable with exercise in public, and I like to know my distance. It was awesome to not have to drive somewhere to run, the weather was perfect, and being Easter morning, I only saw five people and two cars the whole way. I will be running outside, in my own neighborhood from now on.

aimeebell
04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Is there something inexpensive to track distance? I know a lot of people use Garmin, but I really don't want to spend $200+. I have been sticking to the treadmill, tracks, and measured park trails, but would really like the freedom of just running anywhere, but at the same time really like to know the distance and time. For now, I am going to just use my stopwatch on my iPod. I know my usual time for a mile is just under 11 minutes, so I can estimate that way.

aimeebell
04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
River - I tried on those five finger shoes at the Marathon exhibition last Sunday on London - I had never even heard of them before and saw this guy trying them on and running with them and thought they looked really freaky, but was interested enough to try them.

I saw a guy wearing a green pair at a race last month and thought "What in the heck is he wearing? Lizard feet????" I had never seen them before. Since then, they are popping up everywhere, including billboard signs on the expressway.

Robsia
04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Is there something inexpensive to track distance? I know a lot of people use Garmin, but I really don't want to spend $200+. I have been sticking to the treadmill, tracks, and measured park trails, but would really like the freedom of just running anywhere, but at the same time really like to know the distance and time. For now, I am going to just use my stopwatch on my iPod. I know my usual time for a mile is just under 11 minutes, so I can estimate that way.

Maybe you could pick up a bottom-end or second hand Garmin from ebay or somewhere. Alternatively, you can plan out routes using www.mapmyrun.com - it's not exact but near enough.

But I am OCD enough to love my Garmin and love that it gives me speeds for every mile or lap and I can programme it any which way I like - think about it if you are serious about carrying on running.

julesp313
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Robsia - I've got a pair of Vibram Bikilas, which my physical therapist suggested to help rehab my knee, but so far I've only walked in them. That's enough of a difference from wearing shoes to make my lower legs feel it, so I'm easing very VERY slowly into running with them. My plan is to find a track and run on the softer surface, but so far I can't find a track that's open to the public - damn schools keep their gates locked! As for your foot - I know the thought of dealing with the NHS (is it still the NHS? I haven't lived in England for 17 years!) is a misery, but if it is a stress fracture, you really need to find out so you can rehab it. Hopefully it's something minimal and resting up will take care of it.

Aimee - before I splurged on my Garmin, I used the USA Track & Field site to map runs - for some reason I find it easier to use than the Map My Run site - www.usatf.org/routes/map/ - put in your zip code and map a route. I still use it when I want to go a certain distance and I need to plan a route, but then being completely Type A, I run with my Garmin for even greater accuracy. Just be warned - once you get a Garmin, you may become addicted! :)

As for me - I did my 5k on Saturday and it wasn't bad. Hotter than I expected and I went out far too fast, so I lagged in the last mile. Husband beat me, which he was very excited about. My mum did it under 45 minutes, and at 69, that's not too shabby. Today's run SUCKED though. My left shin and top of the foot hurt for the first mile - badly enough to make me take walk breaks. Then my right knee started complaining, then just as I found my stride, I was done. Sheesh. Some runs are just bad. Chalk it up to whatever and move on! :)

river
04-25-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm a garmin girl too, but I also use a free app on my iphone from Adidas called "micoach".

It's awesome because it's free, you can use it with your library or playlists you build, you can turn on voice coaching that tells you your distance, speed, time, right over your playlist or you can turn off that feature. It tells you to speed up or slow down according to the goals that you build online. It uses the gps built into your iphone to track your time, speed, distance and gives you graphs online of your performance showing altitude, routes, etc. It's not as accurate as my garmin, but did I mention that it's free?

Did 10 miles yesterday, and have an easy 30 min recovery run planned for today. 4 weeks to my half.

I won't be running more than a few miles at a time in my vibrams until after the race, and I will post my experience here. But so far, I've run a 5k in them with no problems.

aimeebell
04-25-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm a garmin girl too, but I also use a free app on my iphone from Adidas called "micoach".

Thanks guys! I have only been running for three months, so the Garmin is out, maybe for my one-year running anniversary. I had tried map my runs and google earth, but both are time consuming and I couldn't get map my runs to work at all. After a little research this morning, I was thinking maybe the Nike shoe sensor because I run with my iTouch. A little more digging came up with a $1.99 iTouch app that is reviewed as being as accurate as the Nike + shoe sensor, so I am going to try that. I am sure it isn't near as accurate as a Garmin, but for $1.99, I will take it up to the high school track and see what it does.

Robsia
04-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Well, I took myself and my foot up to the hospital this evening and insisted on an x-ray and it is not a stress fracture. The doctor says it is tendon damage and I need to rest it and no running for at least 3-4 weeks :(

I know it sound silly but I was almost disappointed. To be in pain and not be able to run for the same length of time, a fracture is a more 'high-status' injury than mere 'tendon damage'. I know it's silly, but it would have been cool to say that I had a broken foot and still finished the Marathon.

Ah well, at least I know.

mkroyer
04-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Robsia-- a stress fracture will NOT show up on an xray until it is healed..... you can only see them on MRI's untill the bone has healed, and will look "thicker" on the xray where whe racture was

Robsia
04-26-2011, 03:17 AM
I read that too - I found a website dedicated to stress fractures of the foot, but I thought after 8 days there might be enough new bone to show up. But the doctor said there are certain pressure points where, if I had a break, it would hurt when he pressed, which it didn't - it just hurt where it hurt, if you see what I mean.

Although he was young and didn't seem all that bothered, I felt very much like I was wasting his time. He told me he didn't think it was broken, said shortly, "Look do you want an x-ray?" and, when I said, "Yes," put me through the motions, so at least I should be grateful that I got one.

Well, I'll rest it as much as I can, given that we have a week of decorating to do - the healing time is roughly the same as it would be for a break, so it won't get better any faster.

zetaphine
04-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi, Everybody! I'm relatively new to 3FC and have been posting to the "Atkins" threads since starting the program 30 days ago.

I've been running since 1/7/11. I started out with a walking/running program and got up to running 30 minutes straight. After that, I started training for a September 1/2 marathon until I started the Atkins program. I was simply amazed at how hard it was to run on only 20 grams of carbs/day. It was horrible in the beginning - I could only run five minutes without needing a walking break. I'm slowly making progress, but had to practically restart my running program due to the lack of carbs in my system. Running is so much harder now.

Has anyone else experienced running while on a low-carb diet?

river
04-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Has anyone else experienced running while on a low-carb diet?

Hi, welcome! :D

I would not run on a low carb diet or even eat a low carb diet. I find that the hunger pangs, grumpiness, lack of energy, and general unhappiness that I experience on low carbs is not worth it to me.

Hopefully someone else can help out with this question.

ncuneo
04-26-2011, 11:26 PM
I personally would die on low carb and running, but that's just me. There are TONS on opinions on this and all it boils down to is what works for you.

Just plugging along here. Been taking it a little easy cause of the ankle, but plugging along non the less. Ankle actually is much less swollen this week. I've been stretching and massaging it and that seems to help a lot.

Getting impatient for May to get here so I can start training for my next half.

claire0412
04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
zetaphine I did Atkins too and trained for a half marathon partly on low carb. I couldn't run properly while on the Atkins induction, my heart rate was really high and I could manage about 1/5 of what I was capable of before. I got around it by changing to South Beach and eating fruit / portion of grains with the meal before my run. That worked great! I did this until my pre-1/2 runs got to 16km and I needed more carbs. I added another portion in, so oatmeal for breakfast, slice of rye bread with lunch. Four days before the race, I ate as many carbs as I wanted (which turned out to be not a lot).

So basically, it is possible but I wouldn't do it while on any form of very low carb diet (i.e. induction!)

zetaphine
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies re: running and low-carb. I incorporated 10 more carbs (30 total) before yesterday's 3 mile run and felt pretty good. For my long runs, I'm considering adding a piece of fruit about 2 hours prior.

mkroyer
04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
eh.... ive done very low carb (only veggies) for extended periods of marathon training

didnt bother me any, i guess cause my body was tapping into stored fat to use as energy. AS my runs got longer (more than 90 minutes) i started taking a running goo (100% sugar) which didnt even kick me out of ketosis, because it was immediately used as fuel.

Low carbing is not recommended for runners. Carbs are energy NOW

claire0412
04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
mkroyer Yeah it would definitely work with those gels, I just can't stomach them at all. That's why I added in the extra carbs (and the fact ketosis made me feel hyper and weird, bad reaction to it)

I don't post on this thread very much but I'm preparing for a 5k race (22nd May) and a sprint tri (28th August) at the moment. As the 5k race is not too far away, I'm concentrating on that for the time being and doing 2 x interval training plus a longer run (10k + easy). I'm also doing interval training in the pool twice a week so I hope that might help my fitness a bit. I'm aiming for a 5k time as close to (or under) 25mins as I can get it. The fastest I've recorded in training is 26:36 and I've never run a 5k race before so we'll see!

:)

mkroyer
04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
ok ill keep the thread going
5 miles at lunch yesterday...... 37:30
wasnt going for any land speed records, but then i saw these two perfect tiny, short shorts/makup hair done up a ways ahead of me, and i have a policy about barbie dolls when i run.... no way in **** they willbeat me (to what? where? it was a lunchtime run, not a race-- but thats not important. ;)

its still too cold here most mornings to start "officially" training for anything, and i havent found anything to TRAIN FOR either...
should i train for another marathon (working to Boston Qualify?-- would have to run it in 3:40~ 8:20min/mie, for 26.2 miles)
should i trian to complete an ULTRA marathon (going further than ive ever ran beore?)
or should i train to improve my time on/be more competitve local 10K runner? I already am... but god i just wanna break 42 minutes on my 10K. That is a HUGE goal AND A HUGE HARD committment to training. Training to run faster and increasing Thresholds and VO2Max is SO MUCH more difficult than training to complete a longer distance... anyway, i dont know!

what do you guys think? (all 3 are running goals, and all three are completely different with different ways to train)

Robsia
04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Well, personally, as I'm fairly certain I won't be doing another marathon (although I may aim for a half once a year) I will be working on bettering my times over shorter distances once my foot heals.

It all depends on what you want.

claire0412
04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd be tempted by the 10k goal but it is bound to be hard work! I am well impressed by your current 10k time, amazing! How long did it take you to manage that?!

joyfulloser
04-29-2011, 01:46 PM
...i have a policy about barbie dolls when i run.... no way in **** they willbeat me (to what? where? it was a lunchtime run, not a race-- but thats not important. ;)

:rofl: Totally get this!;)

its still too cold here most mornings to start "officially" training for anything, and i havent found anything to TRAIN FOR either...
should i train for another marathon (working to Boston Qualify?-- would have to run it in 3:40~ 8:20min/mie, for 26.2 miles)
should i trian to complete an ULTRA marathon (going further than ive ever ran beore?)
or should i train to improve my time on/be more competitve local 10K runner? I already am... but god i just wanna break 42 minutes on my 10K. That is a HUGE goal AND A HUGE HARD committment to training. Training to run faster and increasing Thresholds and VO2Max is SO MUCH more difficult than training to complete a longer distance... anyway, i dont know!

what do you guys think? (all 3 are running goals, and all three are completely different with different ways to train)

Uuuuhh...does it have to be one of the above options? If not, might I suggest, just training for health, good looks and an overall KILLER BOD!:D Sorry...but today I turned 44 yrs old and still have the same bod (actually) and youthful glow I had when I was 20...well...almost...perhaps a little dimming in the eyes due to the things I've seen...but HECK..I digress...:p

Seriously...your goals make me want to take a nap! :dizzy: But in any event...whatever floats ya boat...you are much younger than I...so far be it from to steal a dream..in the alternative, I'd go for the Boston marathon...my ex-bro-in-law runs it every year...I hear it's fun!:carrot:

mkroyer
04-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Claire-- the 10K PR happend when i wasnt even training for a 10K... i was training for a marathon actually, and i was peaking in my training and just decided to go out and do this smaller local race....... the marathon training REALLY played a huge roll in increasing my threshold and VO2Max, and with the feeling of running "uncomfortably fast" lol (aka PUKINGLY fast!) i think i aeraged 7:12 min/mi on that race, and i really REALLLY want to get un under 7:00/mile avg for a 10K.......god its hard though. I was running approx 1.5 years when i PRd that 10K

joyfulloser
04-29-2011, 03:30 PM
:rolleyes:

mkroyer
04-29-2011, 05:02 PM
joyful-- im afraid i really have to have a GOAL that i am training for..... ive tried just running/working out without one (whether it be weight related, or performance related) and i really lose focus and feel.....lost......especially with my road running.
Trail running, on the other hand, i do for pure enjoyment, however with my work schedule, this time of year it is limited ONLY to when we have really nice weekends........ im really itching to get up in the mountains and start again though!
i do like the idea of training for Boston... would love to qualify in my hometown/1st Marathon experience at the Denver Marathon.....

you know what i need to do first though....?
quit smoking'
;)

mkroyer
04-29-2011, 05:05 PM
todays lunchtime run
5 miles~ 36:09-- approx 7:12 avg/mi i like that time :) ALOT

started to get wind at the end :( Boo.... i cant STAND the wind!! it doesnt matter which way i was running, it was always in my face!

river
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
joyful-- im afraid i really have to have a GOAL that i am training for..... ive tried just running/working out without one (whether it be weight related, or performance related) and i really lose focus and feel.....lost......especially with my road running.
Trail running, on the other hand, i do for pure enjoyment, however with my work schedule, this time of year it is limited ONLY to when we have really nice weekends........ im really itching to get up in the mountains and start again though!
i do like the idea of training for Boston... would love to qualify in my hometown/1st Marathon experience at the Denver Marathon.....

quit smoking'
;)

First- YES, quit smoking!! In ancient history I was a heavy smoker. Blech! I can't imagine it now. I remember how free I felt when I finally kicked the habit (after quite a few false starts). ;)

Second- LOVE your times! Awesome. Since you seem motivated by speed, my vote is for aiming your laser-like focus on a fast 10k. (Of course, only you know best what will motivate you...but you asked for opinions and I have been known to toss mine about willy-nilly.)

I relate to the goal driven training. My most fit times were when I had to perform for sports. It's also the times I enjoyed training most, although I do like exercising just for the way it makes me feel too.

My training is chugging along, 7.5 miles in 70 min yesterday, off today, 50 min run tomorrow, with my long run on Sunday.

julesp313
04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
My God, it has been windy here today - gusts of 60mph and sustained winds of 30-40mph. And I went for a very slow jog with my mum - but it was so good to get my legs moving as I haven't run since Monday (been fighting a cold). Tomorrow I'm hoping the wind will drop enough so my planned 4 miles doesn't feel like ****.

So I don't remember if I mentioned it here, but I entered the Nike Women's Half Marathon lottery a couple of weeks ago - someone I work with had a group entering and if you enter under a group ID, if one of the group gets in, everyone in the group gets in. So - we got in. I am half appalled that I even thought of trying a half marathon mid October and half thrilled as I've heard the Nike race is very cool - plus the finisher's medals are Tiffany necklaces! I'm signed up for the Las Vegas half on December 4 so this shifts my training up by six weeks - but hopefully that doesn't mean I can't make it. The summer is nearly here so I can get out every morning at 5am and run, which means I can at least get plenty of mileage in. But man - I'm freaked out! And excited. And freaked out. :)

claire0412
04-30-2011, 08:06 AM
I also relate to goal orientated training! I get bored too easily just running without a goal, and then I find excuses not to go. I need to see results, either being able to run longer or faster, and I need a race to prepare for at all times. We have the Dean Karnazes book Ultramarathon Man, great read! It inspired me but not to the extent I would actually do one!

Jules - Tiffany necklaces, cool! You can do it!

I think I am going to have to move my 5k training to the pool for a week or so, I have tightness / pain in my quad. I did 10k this morning, really slowly, and had to stop after 2k to stretch it out. Now it hurts a bit. My bf has given me some yoga exercises to do to stretch it out but swimming will be much less brutal on it and I don't want to make it worse so I can't even do the 5k. I think I'll have to accept I won't run under 25mins and I'll have to sign up for another one in July. Grr. I hate injuries!

aimeebell
04-30-2011, 11:15 AM
quit smoking'
;)

You smoke and you run that far and that fast? Just think of what you could achieve if you quit! I can barely breathe while running and I have never smoked a cigarette in my life LOL

Qualifying for the Boston marathon would be an amazing achievement, but it sounds like what you want most is to run that 10K with speed, so I'd go for that!

aimeebell
04-30-2011, 11:26 AM
So strange how some days are just harder than others running-wise. I have only been running for three months, so I am still very much in the experimenting stage. I am not sure if my run was crappy this morning because I have the tiniest bit of a cold, because I didn't have any coffee before my run, or just because it was morning. I do better on afternoon/evening runs, much better. I guess because I have had a day's worth of fuel and COFFEE.

Robsia
04-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Ooh - I have had no pain in my foot for two whole days now.

My 9-year-old dd wants to start the C25K next week, in time for our local Race for Life at the end of May. I think I may be up to doing W1 at a 9 year old's pace. It'll be a good way of easing back into it after an injury and a couple of weeks off.

ncuneo
04-30-2011, 05:09 PM
MK - I know you have burned out in the past...so...what about a small break and doing whatever of those three is the easiest? You're young, you'll be able to acomplish all three in time.

I've been taking a little break lately and cut my milage back slightly. It's actually more of a little bit of an experiment on my hunger. I've just been so freaking ravenous lately and just can't figure it out. So I turned my T/Th 1-2 mile warmups before strength training into eliptical and only did 3/5/3 as opposed to my usual 4/5/4 or 5/5/5. Tomorrow's long run will be the usual 8-10 because I missed my long run due to Easter last weekend and only did 5 the week before because of my ankle, which is feeling pretty good. I had a little bit of a scare with my knee, but I think it was just some weird tweak that seems to have resolved itself. Does anyone else get phantom injures? I remember a few months ago, I had what I thought was a crazy pulled ligament or something and it just went away after a few days.

Anywho - tomorrow is a new month and the month I'll start training for my half marathon that is in August. I'm nervous and excited. I have a picked a killer training program for this one to use as sort of a pre-training for a marathon. I'm really kicking up the milage to decide whether or not I want to run the LA Marathon in 2012.

Hey here's a crazy idea MK - would you want to run LA with me? LA is not that far from Denver, it's a BQ marathon I think. I guess it really wouldn't be with me...I obviously would be lucky to be under 5 hours :)

Hope everyone's April ends well!

julesp313
05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Had a great run yesterday, despite the wind - I'm hoping at some point it'll calm down but today is just as bad. I did 4.2 miles which is a long way for me! It felt really good just to run slowly - I wasn't going for a pace, just distance. I figure my goal for my first 10k and half marathon is simply to finish, so I need the miles on my legs. Then - if that goes well - I can work on getting a bit speedier, but speed has never been my strength nor my goal. I think the longer distances are good for me because once I find my rhythm, I can pretty much just zone out - but I definitely need to ramp up slowly so I don't reinjure my knee. God willing, the 10k and half distances will be great for me. :)

May tomorrow - where did this month go!