Beck Diet Solution - Beck Diet For Life/Solution April 2011 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

chinakat
04-24-2011, 07:47 PM
OK, Easter is under my belt.

I think I did okay. I just tallied up my calories for the day in Spark People and they are about 300-400 higher than I am generally targeting, but still quite reasonable considering I attended two holiday meals.

I'm going to give myself credit for not taking seconds of anything. I made that rule for myself before the meal and I'm pleased that I kept it.

As far as the candy went, I did have a little. About a dozen peanut M&Ms. They were good. :)

Lexxiss
04-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi Coaches!

Whew! Am I looking forward to Monday! I had an absolutely fantastic time making my annual Apple Slab Pie which has 7# of apples, very little sugar and large amounts of pie crust. It was fun-but I wished I had put as much effort into bringing something healthier. Potluck choices weren't great. I made some good choices and some poor ones, too, however in moderation. I logged what I could today and made notes on what I couldn't. Dinner is planned; ChefJoona's Butternut Squash/Spinach Enchiladas.

BillBlueEyes, yay for a Saturday when all meals are from home! Good job on the oatmeal . I got DH switched over and now buy him a 25# bag which he stores in his Man Closet.

CeeJay, :wave: "What we need is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out."
William Wordsworth

ChefJoona, thx for posting your recipe! Reading your post I look forward to Monday and predictable food choices. Yay for passing off to DF when you didn't want to finish the roll. I love that trick!

gardenerjoy, great job bringing home healthy items from your event yesterday instead of the multitudes of items not on your plan.

AnneWonders, successes and failures many times still equal progress.

chinacat, yay for credit given-a followed rule, especially at a holiday meal is just great!

credits:
attempt to track
healthy dinner
pitched some items as I cleaned kitchen tonight
kept to vegetarian choices at potluck

MaryContrary
04-25-2011, 12:57 AM
The only real easter-y part of my day were the eggs I had on my toast. I briefly contemplated going to the store for just a taste of my favorite candy, but I've been too attached to piddling around the house. AND, major credit, I just walked out to the kitchen to get a slice of the homemade carrot cake, decided to wash a few dishes, and in the process also decided that I would feel really good about today if I resisted the cake. So I did!

I've been missing that good feeling of plain ol' resistance.

This has been a week and weekend of major introspection. I've been dipping in and out of the posts here, but not feeling up to responding. I'm definitely feeling that the Beck skills are coming to the rescue as I work on my inner child. I am constantly surprised by this. It's not that they don't help with food and exercise. But I NEED them in my emotional work.

Of course, the joy I felt, just now, in resisting reminded me that I could definitely stand to return to my written food planning and skills journal. It just helps.

Realistically, however, I can't do this intense introspection, the intense food planning, the intense exercise, AND an intense dissertation. I'm doing well with the set of skills I use right now, so I think I'm going to forgive myself for not doing the elaborate written planning and tracking. I'm going to watch for these issues: eating while standing and splurge / celebration foods. And I think I'll be okay. I don't think it's a coincidence that today is the first day in a couple of weeks that I feel emotionally balanced AND also the first day in a couple of weeks that I've *truly* exercised my resistance muscles.

My goals for this week are to finish a plan for this next dissertation chapter, and ready myself for a trip to Louisville. My grandmother's church is having their annual Mother-Daughter Banquet, this year in honor of my grandmother and her passing. I'm sad and happy, but really happy that I'll be able to be with my bio family at this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Have wonderful weeks! Thanks for being here.

BillBlueEyes
04-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - At two big meals on Easter Sunday, I did well except for ham. Ouch. I got sucked into the salty taste. The good news, I avoided some confection desserts, including eating only 1/2 of the two micro cupcakes I was served at the evening meal, CREDIT moi, and had seconds of salad and super good asparagus - ultra thin and tender with no butter. (My goal in life is to remember whether dessert or desert has two s's without looking it up. I made up the memory idea that desserts have lots of sugar in them, before I remembered that deserts have lots of sand in them - so I stumble of that each time I type either one.)

Exercise was carrying the patio furniture out of the basement - very small CREDIT moi - hoping to use it for appetizers before dinner. Alas, the light rain started as I was testing it out with my afternoon snack. But, now it's out there as if Summer is free to begin whenever it chooses.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Yep, "some successes and some failures" seems to be the human condition. Kudos if you've accepted that about yourself - I'm still considering that I should be the singular exception, LOL. WARNING: Easter Candy goes on sale today - engage required precautions.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for "farm fresh eggs and spinach" when treats were also available. Insightful response to your exercising. I wish that I did more stretching.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - "however in moderation" seems like a good defense against all the poor choices in the world. [Love the notion of my own 25# bag of oats. Too much food in my pantry makes me feel comfortable.]

MaryContrary - Kudos for exercising your resistance muscles against that cake. Interesting link between emotional balance and ability to exercise resistance. Lovely thought of your grandmother being honored and you making the effort to be there.

ChefJoona - Ouch for lingering winter conditions up there in Vermont - it's time for winter to let go, LOL. Kudos for the mindful move with the roll as well as for the sane, "Not worthy of beating myself up about. Moving forward."

chinakat - Yay for choosing a bounded amount of candy and enjoying it. Kudos for planning no seconds and following your plan.

Readers - chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 5
Get Organized

The state of your kitchen and dining room can influence how you follow the Beck Diet for Life Program. If these rooms are cluttered and messy, it can make you feel out of control, which can affect your confidence in staying in control of your eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 37.

eusebius
04-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi everyone - Quick checkin today. I have had a few bad eating days but I am back on track today. Appropriately today is Day 22, which is basically "Oh Well Day!"
This week is nutso for me as I'm commuting to the big smoke daily to play for about 30 singers in a music festival. Trying to take things one day, one breath at a time and to choose relatively healthy, quick eating options. I think I'll be eating a lot of Subway this week as I ride the subway, lol.
Time to read all the posts I've missed. Wishing you all a great day,
Erika

ChefJoona
04-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Good morning!

Ate a bit more than I would have liked to yesterday. I did well at the brunch... I think a little too well, because I was really hungry when we got home. I ate a snack, and then dinner, and then a little dessert. I didn't need it all. Stayed away from most of the candy though.

Didn't Shred with Jillian, but did some free weights. Going to Shred in a few minutes when I finish posting and my morning tea.

Might be meeting a good friend for lunch today. Planning to make a vegetable hash to accompany left over hard boiled eggs for dinner tonight.

The sun is shining this morning, though they are calling for showers as the day goes on.

Almost forgot to report... my Sunday morning weigh-in yesterday showed I was down 1 lb. I'm crediting Jillian!

Lexxiss Hope the enchiladas come out well for you! Thanks for posting your brownie recipe!
BillbeYay for summer patio furniture!

Beverlyjoy
04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi friends/coaches/beckies - company is gone and I am feeling alot better about life. DS/GS/DIL are coming here for a visit in May. That will be wonderful.

We had lots of company this weekend. DH's sister and our neice came on Saturday. DH and I hosted a birthday party cookout for our cousin's birthday and family in town. Our cousin brought three pies! I had some pie and some more. DH brought in jelly 'beans again. Another cousin brought us some homemade poppy seed bread. SIL brought two pies for Sunday and lots of chocolate. I did eat too much of that stuff. However, it's all went out the door or down the drain as of last night. Once I get started on that sugary stuff... it's hard for me to walk away.

However, today I got up with my plan and it's noon and I've had 50 ou of water... so I am on my way.

I have my journal and will stand on my head if I need to - to stay out of extra carbs and or unplanned food.

It was so fun Easter morning. When our sweet in little neighbor children went to church DH and I put out Easter Eggs will pennys, silly bands and only one with jelly beans. They were squeeling with joy as they saw them when they returned home. So fun. (1 1/2 pies and a half gallon of ice cream went to them last night. They are all skinny winny)

As always... thanks to you all for your evergoing support.

pamatga
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Back in the Saddle for posting. GD fellow Beckies!

This is coming later than usual because I did not fall asleep until 6:30 am today. My left knee buckled a week ago and it continued to do that on and off without any prior "notice" so it seems it keeps happening over and over. I got up and down throughout the night trying to "medicate" the pain but to no avail.

I did Days 9 and 10(pink book) over the weekend. So this is what I have thus far: My ARC card: main advantage of losing weight is avoic complications from diabetes/heart disease and regulate hormones for normal cycles. If that isn't a good reason, I don't know what is.

I have 3 Response cards so far: Eat Slowly on "gobble" foods (these are really sweet fruit), Eating Within Calorie Range recommended by BLC 1800-2100 broken in 3 meals and 2 snacks. I tagged on that I would like to do the "recommended" 45-60 grams of carbs per "setting" as recommended by the diabetes instructor from March's classes I attended.

Dr. Beck mentioned one meal per week-eat any calorie limit. NOTE: if I misread that or misunderstood that would someone be so kind as to "correct" me. I have not been rushing through this book and taking my time reading it.

My "last" Response card that I made was for Setting A Realistic Weight Lose Goal: Dr. Beck recommends 5 lbs increment. Once reached you reward yourself with something. I jumped on the chance to expand my already expansive shoe wardrobe. This really got me psyched! I have the potential of getting 65 new pairs of shoes! YES!!

I recently added to my also expansive dvd collection of exercise videos: Stretch & Joint Mobility Therapy, A.M./P.M. Stretches (Gaiam-love their stuff!) and Pilates Complete for Inflexible People. I told my DH this was my fee for doing our income taxes. So if you want to know what I charge "shoes and exercise videos".:D I took 7 years of dance when I was a youngster and I still can do some pretty good things after all these years but I'm not fooling myself--I can't leap around like I used to.

Again, my two diets are the current BLC one I am following: healthy eating with emphasis on whole and organic foods with my back up "South Beach" since I followed that for 2 years with "success".

As for the rhetorical question about how to handle the holidays: I don't think there is any one set answer. I noticed some of you are at an "enviable" weight compared to where I am at. I guess, my answer would be whatever you feel that you can "live with" either momentarily or long term. If you eat "off plan" often enough then you either are stalling your weight lose goals or even regaining previous weight you have lost. That can eventually mess with your head and your confidence. "No Choice" is coming up in the next few days in the book, I see, and at that point I think the bar has been raised. When I get there, I will have to make decisions that will only support my weight lose and not my "whims".

I had a difficult time making My Priority Chart this weekend. I put everything as Essential and only one thing as Highly Desirable. Any one struggle with this one?

RunningFree
04-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Hello, hope everyone had a nice OP Easter.

grayhenry, welcome.

AnneWonders, I loved your "I'd rather be cranky than fat." So I wrote my own list of "I'd rather be ... than fat."

pamatga, your comment on people reporting what they eat each day made me think that I need to try that. My eating just got out of control again. I should be ashamed on reporting my big quantities of food, so reporting might do well for me. But I ques I shouldn't spam this thread with my food logs.

Could someone recommend me a thread for posting my daily food logs, please?

Last week I was happy about my improved running time and now I am experiencing a terrible leg cramps during my runs. I have to stop few times and wait till it pass before I can start running again.

Surfing the internet is sabotaging my life. I search for ways to improve my working skills, my dieting, exercising, but it isn't as big help as it could be if I simply went and actually practiced doing something. And I eat more, when I spend time at the computer. I need to figure out some way to restrict my computer/internet time. Maybe I should include some computer free days or something?

gardenerjoy
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Put me down in the camp of being glad the holiday is over. I did okay. And okay is good enough.

I realized late in the day that I deserve credit for not ever thinking about Easter candy during the season. The first thought I had was yesterday and it was a defensive one. Apparently "not about me" really works over time so that a long term habit of indulging in seasonal candy no longer makes the list of options in my life.

Day 10: Set a realistic goal. At this stage, I'm not even sure that 5 pounds is realistic. Also, I don't know what I weigh right at the moment because I'm waiting until Day 21 (Get Ready to Weigh In) to step on the scale. It was controlling my moods more than I wanted so I'm in the middle of a break from it. I think I'll set a target of 174 and get a massage when I reach it.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +75* 1010/1500 minutes for April, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

RunningFree: I love the internet, but have found that with things like working skills and diet, that I make better use of my time if I do my research in library books rather than on the internet. I really enjoy computer free days, and probably should do them more often! I have a rule -- no eating at the computer so at least I'm not making that part of things worse. My keyboard stays cleaner, too!

pamatga: sorry about continued knee problems -- that knee buckling thing is so startling and scary when it happens. I have always had trouble with priorities and find that less than a helpful way of looking at things. One tool that sometimes help is to limit myself to a certain number. Three items per day is a classic bit of advice--I've recently had success with six but one has to be exercise. I write them on a white board and celebrate if I get all six crossed off by the end of the day.

Beverlyjoy: glad you survived the busy food-centric weekend. Your Easter Egg hunt for the neighbors sounds like such fun!

ChefJoona: yay for the effort with Jillian showing up on the scale.

eusebius: the music festival sounds fun and exhausting. Good for you for having a plan.

BillBlueEyes: I did better with ham than desserts. Maybe we need to swap willpowers for one holiday and see if that builds new brain pathways!

MaryContrary: Good job on recognizing that intensity can only spread to so many areas of focus at any given time.

Lexxiss: I like the idea of going vegetarian at a potluck. That doesn't eliminate all bad choices, but it helps!

chinakat: credit for keeping calories reasonable on a two-meal holiday!

AnneWonders: some successes and some failures seems to be our group average for Easter.

chinakat
04-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Surfing the internet is sabotaging my life. I search for ways to improve my working skills, my dieting, exercising, but it isn't as big help as it could be if I simply went and actually practiced doing something. And I eat more, when I spend time at the computer. I need to figure out some way to restrict my computer/internet time. Maybe I should include some computer free days or something?

I feel the same way. I am looking at how to make time for my diet/exercise, but also to just get some other stuff done. And it's pretty clear that spending a couple of hours at night on the internet is totally unproductive. Not only is it a giant time suck, but I swear it makes me more depressed, the more time I spend online.

This one is a puzzle for me, because I don't watch TV or play video games, and don't get to socialize much during the week... internet time is my social/reading/downtime part of my day. But I need to find ways to limit this, I think.

Suggestions?

BillBlueEyes
04-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan which is a challenge right now with so much left over ham in the fridge. I chose a small piece, maybe two ounces, for my lunch - CREDIT moi. My instinct was for half a pound or more. Took a hit when DW returned from an event with half of her chocolate mousse and offered it me. I took two bites and left a quarter of it. Ouch, but CREDIT moi for not just finishing it all.

Felt back on track at the gym, CREDIT moi, using dumbbells 5#'s less than the maximum I've used, but worked out better than my last session on Friday.

Erika (eusebius) - Ouch for a tough commuting week, but Yay for supporting 30 aspiring singers. Double Ouch for a week of Subway, particularly since people are drawn to order chips there since Subway is "so healthy."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Such a joy to read, "that a long term habit of indulging in seasonal candy no longer makes the list of options in my life." [LOL at the thought of swapping will powers; I'll just give my brain to UPS and wait patiently by the door until yours arrives.]

Beverlyjoy - Yay for a planned home visit by your DGS laugh therapist. I, too, love reading about your surprise Easter Egg hunt.

ChefJoona - Yay for staying away from most of the candy. Apparently, it's "then a little dessert" day on the Beck thread.

pamatga - LOL at "getting 65 new pairs of shoes!" - freighting thought that would scare me away from my path for sure. I don't recognize, "Dr. Beck mentioned one meal per week-eat any calorie limit." She does write about events, on page 217 of the pink book, "I plan in advance to eat about 25 percent more calories - at most - than usual." That would be about 150 to 200 calories.

RunningFree - Wishing you well figuring out a way to avoid getting swamped by the Internet. However, I'm a poor adviser on that subject; hoping you figure out something and post about it since I'm in need of help in that department.

chinakat - I just read in the newspaper the other day that MIT is considering shutting down its ever prevalent wi-fi at times so kids can do some homework instead of facebook.

Readers - chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 5
Get Organized

Following the program will be easier if you can readily find the dishes and utensils you need. As you rearrange them, look through your cabinets. What can you get rid of? Appliances, pots and pans, or dishes you never use? Food that is out of date?

ChefJoona
04-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Shredded with Jillian yesterday! CREDIT. I'm really really on a roll with it. I still feel resistence when I'm actually doing it- especially the exercises that are still painful to do. But I have found a way to push through. I hope I can fit it in tonight. Tuesdays are usually exhausting days as they are my first day back in the office for the week, but I don't think I have that much going on today.

Eating was a bit off yesterday. My pants felt really loose, so I used this as an excuse to buy a baked good to share with my mom. She asked me to just pick up an ice coffee for her on the way to meeting up to do some wedding planning stuff. I just couldn't resist the bakery case. Its weird though... I felt really uncomfortable in my loose pants and kept feeling like it was ok to eat more so they would fit better, but that would be gaining weight- NOT what I want to do!!! Its odd to feel uncomfortable in the new body that I have been working hard for. I don't want it to lead to sabotaguing all my efforts and the results I am really beginning to see.

Food is planned and packed for today. The rest of the Easter candy is going on DFiance's desk in his office room so its not right in front of me!

Have a good Tuesday all!

CeeJay
04-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Hope all of you have a great week.

Off to 2 nights in hotels. I am armed with Kashi and oranges for breakfast and apples for snacks. Lunch is packed for today. Planning on Subway tonight and some microwave Lean Cuisine tomorrow night. Lunch Wednesday and Thursday will be Subway only. Brought my little weights and plan on walking each night.

I really need to get it together. Enough said, you ladies and Bill know my on-again, off-again pattern. Here's to maintaining motivation and finding consistency.

Credit today for:

weighing in
eating a health breakfast
having a plan
checking in with my coaches

:grouphug:

Lexxiss
04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Coaches!

Yesterday did not turn out like I planned. I had pledged to get back to logging my food yet I was unwilling to do so. Exercise was great! *credit* I need to find willingness today which starts with a written down plan and then I need to simply use NO CHOICE and follow it. Faced with multiple choices for meals I have chosen my "automated" breakfast lunch and dinner...B-Green smoothie, L-super salad with nuts for protein and D-OP pizza with salad for dinner. Sometimes the meals involving the least thinking work best for me.

BillBlueEyes, great that you were able to just taste the mousse. When does the leftover ham find it's way to the freezer?

MaryContrary, glad that you checked in with us. Kudos for your food resistance and your "realistic" plan for the coming weeks! Yes, sometimes we can't do it all.

Erika(eusebius), kudos for "back on track"! Take care during your busy week. Thinking ahead surely helps where food is concerned.

ChefJoona, enchiladas were great! I split my portion between 2 meals. Ouch for using loose pants as an excuse for an off plan treat. Good that you have identified it as a sabotaging thought AND planned and packed food in response.

Beverlyjoy, yay for sending all the sugary stuff either out the door or down the drain. Glad you enjoyed all the kiddos on Easter.

pamatga, sorry to hear about your physical struggles but great kudos for keeping up with your program during your discomfort. I'm with BBE-don't remember the specific line in the Beck book. If you find it, let us know.

RunningFree, it's great that you have identified that your computer time has ways of sabotaging your diet. Acknowledging it is the first step and with persistence you will identify an acceptable solution. Regarding a thread for posting food logs mine is diet specific (South Beach Diet), but here are two; http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/231730-daily-accountability-lifestyle-change-everyone-welcome-week-4-25-5-1-a.html AND http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/231739-binge-free-challenge-4-25-11-5-1-11-lets-finish-april-strong.html

gardenerjoy, good that you are recognizing the need for small goals and limited weigh in's right now.

chinakat, you asked for suggestions regarding internet….much of my socializing is online, too. For me, I have 2 threads here which I post on everyday. Mornings are a good check in time for me as I set my intention for the day. I do enjoy reading health oriented books and I have learned to knit as a way to keep my hands and mind busy and off food. I think a lot of it is about becoming more mindful and creative of new ideas.

CeeJay, yay for planning ahead for your trip. Credit yourself for such great improvement !

gardenerjoy
04-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Day 11: Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings
The logging that I've been doing since I re-started the pink book has helped ever so slightly in this area. At least, I now recognize overly full as a sensation and one that I am willing to make plans to prevent the next time. I've also been more aware of feeling full an hour after a meal, even when I thought I was still hungry immediately after finishing. Although interesting, this has never been a strong suit for me while losing weight so I'm glad that using other tools can compensate for poor skills in this area.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +100* 1110/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

pamatga
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
I'll let you know if I find that statement again since I have been highlighting and writing in the pink book as I am re-reading it. I should be able to find it in the next day or so. If not, then I will defer to pg 217. I dog-eared that page already although I am not there yet.

Gardenerjoy, I too am on Day 11. I have done Day 10 so many times in the past. I was one of those people who ate two larger meals a day so I was accustomed to going 8-10 hours without food. I tried a stint on "Intuitive Eating" which there is a thread here on 3FC if anyone is interested. I have since discovered that I still need to follow a reduced calorie food plan.

Here is my definition of hunger, desire to eat and cravings:

Actual physical hunger: any food will do, it's been at least 5-6 hours since I ate last. The intensity of the hunger depends on what I ate at the previous meal. If I ate protein and very little carbs, I can go longer. One piece of cheese can hold me several hours. The key for me in controling out of control hunger is to keep a check on carbs particularly high glycemic fruits.

Desire to eat: Last night was a case in point. In between the many thunderstorms we seem to getting lately, our neighbors "fired up" their grill and the smell of just the grill (w/o food cooking) made me want to eat.
Also, recently I bought two large vanilla scented pillar candles that I use daily during prayer/meditation time. I have never had two candles that smelled more like cookies baking in the oven more than these two. So, I must have a very good sniffer, I guess.

If I am really hungry (see above) then if I am in a situation where I am physically hungry and there is a large variety of foods not necessarily the best choices, then visual cues are a problem. I have found the best way to combat that is to never allow myself to skip meals or I am setting myself up for eating the wrong kinds of foods.

Cravings: Hormone driven. Period. Figuratively and literally. Chocolate and pizza. The other times cravings is a problem is when I am physically sick with the flu or a cold. It is one of the few times I actually want ice cream products. I normally am not a person who is drawn to ice cream except then. Having learned more about diabetes, I have since discovered that our blood glucose rises to help combat infections and whenever blood glucose rises our bodies "crave" instant sugar rushes. (from the Complete Guide to Diabetes by the American Diabetes Association)

I did not try the hunger experiment because I do need to eat regularly (she also affirms this on pg 121) and not allow the huge swings in blood glucose levels but I have done enough of that on my own to know that being hungry is not my Trojan horse. I think what will turn my efforts around are two simple words "No Choice". In the past, I "went off" my food plan, mostly by eating more calories, during holidays and personal celebrations.

I am going to be very honest here. This is the one part of reduced calorie eating I hate: eating less or not eating certain foods during holidays, etc. One of my thoughts, which I am now seeing is sabotaging in its own way, is that I want to celebrate right along with other people. What I used to do in the past was eat the "offending" food then jump on the treadmill or go for a very long walk to burn off the additional calories. However, as recently as 4 years ago, I was finding that I was getting really wide swings in my blood glucose so I can't even do that any more ---if I could do that now. Whether I like it or not, I have come to a point in my life where moderation in everything is the only path I can take. I'm "grown up" enough to not throw a fit about it but you might hear me grumble under my breathe once in awhile.;)

Right now, my sole motivation (no pun intended) is those 65 new pair of shoes I am just dying to buy as I lose all of this extra weight. Here's to "Happy Feet" :dancer: :dancer:

maryann
04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Good Morning. DS and I are really enjoying our spring break. Long time in coming and very appreciated. OP yesterday which is a big deal. I had made a promise of 7 straight OP days or I seek more support such as a Weight Watchers meeting. Not my first choice but I am willing to do anything to maintain my losses.Good Easter - best to be expected. I hosted 21 people and hid 10 Easter basket. Beautiful Day and everyone had a good time. Plus I went to bed not feeling sick to my stomach, left a two pound box of See's Candy barely touched and left three Gourmet cupcakes on the counter. Good for my side. I really felt (a rare occurrence) that I didn't want anything unhealthy. Things are looking promising.
ChefJoona: Good luck shredding. Also, could you give me some clothing hints for Vermont in July? Is it super hot with t-shirts only or can I pack a Levi's jacket and long pants. Do I need a sweater?
Beverleyjoy: Thought about you this morning. I am making reservations for Walt Disney World in January. Didn't you just go there?
Pamatga: Loved your ARC card on keeping diabetes at bay. That is keeping it real. This food addiction is nothing to take lightly.
Running Free and Chinakat: I hear you about surfing the internet. Yet something else to keep in moderation. Drat. I take no more than an average of an hour a day because it acts as a depressant for me. Sometimes I make a deal that if I promise to take a nice walk or exercise a little more I can surf a little more.
gardenerjoy: I am still weighing everyday but it is interesting for me to maybe go back thru the book like like you are doing.
BBE: The physical appearance of 2 oz. of meat still shocks me. Yet when I eat it, I am completely satisfied if I am paying attention to my body. Unbelievable. Does that work with spending money, as well? If I cut my clothing allowance to 10% of what it currently is, will I be satisfied? HMMM.
Ceejay: I love Kashi. I will buy a couple of boxes when I go to grad school this summer.
Lexxiss: I am a fervent believer in automated meals. I have just added one to my list: Ricotta pancakes. MMMM.

onebyone
04-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Coaches:

I'm posting in the living room of our de-luxe accommodatins in beautiful Key West Florida. Here I am, beneath an easy moving ceiling fan, lying on a mint green floral print chaise lounge as I post this note to y'all.

It's nice here.

I've seen sunshine finally. Leafy palms, scurrying geckos everywhere, free-roaming roosters and lots of chickens crossing the road and we still have two more nights here. Today is a lazying about day after driving 8-13 hours every day since Thursday night when we crossed the border at Buffalo (waving to RobinW if she's around...).

Unique and unusual food is everywhere, from the deep fried salt and vinegar peanut you eat shell and all (verdict: woody) to the chocolate covered frozen piece of key lime pie on a stick (yes I did have that-the crust was not needed) the challenge here is to not eat everything in sight. So hard. Last night, on arrival to Key West, my BIL took us to get the best meal you can get at a gas station, or anywhere on the island: gas station fried chicken. OMG. It was cheap AND good. Credit for having leftovers. So far, I am not floored by any of the mac-n-cheese offered everywhere. I think it's because I'm not fond of "American cheese". A small blessing I suppose since it seems 99% of the other things I've run into are FANTASTIC. This trip is very food centered as we wend our way circumnativigating the edge of Florida. We did the sun coast and ready to drive up the space coast Thursday morning.

All in all, I think I'm doing okay and it's exactly what we both needed.

The cat sitter has fallen for Caesar and is bringing him toys to keep him happy as well as visiting 2x a day when we only paid for 1x. She sends me emails with jpgs attached. Caesar has a slight limp that doesn't hurt him but will melt the heart of anyone susceptible to his charms--professional cat sitters would be in that category.

Off now. I think I'll go on a gallery walk :carrot:

Wishing you all Good Weather and OP Days.

grayhenry
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Hello beck friends!

I am at the point in the book where I need to find a diet coach. I would really prefer to have someone who would fonthis via email. It would just be easier to report in and also to send a quick note when I need some support.

Any takers? I'm not dieting yet, just lining up my support person/coach.

Thank you!
Kris

chinakat
04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Hey all -- I got the green book from the library and am reading it. So far it seems like a rephrasing of the pink book, but I'm only a few chapters in.

I feel like I've been doing very well with pushing back on sabotaging thoughts. But today, well... let me tell you a little tale of woe.

I like to eat these nut bars... they are an awesome snack, high in protein, low in carbs, and totally delicious. I eat one every afternoon and it carries me through to dinner.

This morning as I was on my way to work, I was pawing around in my bag for something and I discovered a spare bar. I'd thrown it in there over the weekend, in case I got caught short somewhere without anything OP to eat come snack time.

Well.

I. Could. Not. Stop. Thinking. About. That. Bar.

I ate my breakfast.

I ate my lunch.

I ate my snack (my daily allotted nut bar).

And then I could not stop myself from eating the spare bar. Couldn't do it. Had all sorts of sabotaging thoughts about it -- it's an OP snack, I didn't eat that much yet today, I'll just eat less later.

I don't know what it was, but from the minute I found that spare bar, it was if I was powerless against it. I knew it was unplanned food, but I just didn't care.

And don't you know, I went over my targets today. By about as much as were in that bar -- the only unplanned food that went in my mouth all day.

What just happened there? I feel so rotten about it. I've been doing really well, this felt like a total setback since I started BDS. But not uncommon for me in general.

Any advice?

BillBlueEyes
04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner was at a hotel banquet affair last night. I did only OK, not stellar, CREDIT moi. I did great avoiding the appetizers which are usually a problem, ignored the liquid calories flowing freely, and left the buttered new potatoes on my plate - all in good form. But I ate all of the meat - more than I needed - because I'm still trying to learn to leave meat on my plate. I can do it at home by putting it in the fridge for lunches, but asking for a doggy bag isn't cool at a banquet. And I ate the apple filling from my dessert tart rather than ignore it completely. I might have made it close to Beck's notion of an extra 25% for an event.

onebyone - Wonderful images, "Leafy palms, scurrying geckos everywhere." You gotta be wary of Southern food - there's one whole bunch of fried stuff. It's worth trying to find catfish since I doubt you have that in Canada.

CeeJay - Joining your toast to "motivation and finding consistency."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Think I'll try your idea to make myself aware that I'm full an hour after a meal. I don't have a very accurate full/hungry sensor.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Neat notion, "Sometimes the meals involving the least thinking work best for me."

maryann - Kudos for the candy and cupcakes uneaten. [Now there's an opportunity - write a Cognitive Therapy book on clothing budgets.]

ChefJoona - Smart move to get that Easter Candy out of sight. You make a great argument for buying the right sized clothes as you lose - to avoid loose clothing motivating eating. I'd never heard of that notion before.

pamatga - Yep, it's good to remind folks that monitoring blood glucose is more important than the hunger experiment.

chinakat - Powerful story about that nut bar. I understand "felt like a total setback" but of course it's not - it's a small bump in the road. It's painful, the Sabotaging Thought, "just didn't care" when you know that you do. I don't have any advice other than to acknowledge that that can happen to you, that it might get easier, but that in any case, you're able to absorb it and move forward.

Kris (grayhenry) - Hope you get a response to your request for a one-on-one Diet Coach. We'll all be here for the group Diet Coach/Buddy thing as your backup.

Readers - chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

task 5
Get Organized

Also look in your refrigerator and cabinets for foods that you might find overly tempting. On this program, you can eat a favorite food in a reasonable portion once a day. But initially some foods may be too difficult for you to have around. Seeing certain foods may trigger a strong desire to eat. For example, one study found that office workers ate more chocolate if they kept the candy on their desks rather than just 2 yards away. When candy was put in opaque jars, office workers consumed significantly less than when it was kept in clear jars. Eventually, you will find that you have an easier and easier time handling the various triggers that lead you to eat. For now, however, it is best to eliminate as many triggers as possible, and that may require you to throw away or give away tempting foods.

ChefJoona
04-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Good morning!

On plan eating day, though I got into the Easter Candy in the evening. I had forgotten to move it into the office/man cave and out of my sight. I did so after having a couple pieces last night. I left myself some Peeps and a dark chocolate bar that can easily be portioned. The rest is for my skinny fiance to devour (and he will!!).

Shredded with Jillian... CREDIT!!! I have to celebrate each time I do it since exercise is SO hard for me to get into! I love the muscles I am beginning to see!

chinakat My advice should you find yourself in another nutbar situation would be to throw it out! Destroy it, dump soap on it, garbage disposal it, toss it in a trash can when you're driving about... Something to completely eliminate the possibility of eating it.

onebyone sounds like you are having an amazing trip!!! Continue to enjoy!
maryann Enjoy the rest of your spring break! MY advice for clothing to bring to VT is layers. You will definitely be able to wear t-shirts during the day time in July, but the evenings and mornings can be cool, so I would definitely bring long sleeves and even a light jacket. It is wonderful to be outside in VT on summer evenings!
pamatga and gardener Hope Days 11 and 12 go well for you!
Ceejay Good luck with your nights away.... credit for being so prepared!
LexxissSending you motivation to log!
grayhenry This group format works well for me... I appreciate the multiple perspectives. Hoping you are able to find an individual coach!
Billbe You deserve credit for being mindful and aware at the banquet and not completely losing yourself!!

Have a Beck filled Wednesday all!

gardenerjoy
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Day 12: Practice Hunger Tolerance
I'm skipping the hunger experiment. Once was incredibly powerful, but I don't feel the need to do it again. "Hunger is not an emergency" works wonderfully as a response for me, saves me from lots of pitfalls.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +95* 1205/1500 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

pamatga: so glad you found a reward that's truly exciting for you!

maryann: This is terrific: "I really felt (a rare occurrence) that I didn't want anything unhealthy. Things are looking promising." And good for you for making note of it.

onebyone: you make Key West sound delicious, even before writing about the food!

grayhenry: I tried the individual email coach for awhile and found it less effective than the group. Our partnership was only as good as the weakest of the two of us. With the group, I usually feel like I'm doing about as well as the average of the group, which is a higher level than our pairing usually managed.

chinakat: In those situations, I think what is called for is learning from the experience. And this is not the lesson we're aiming for "I was powerless against it"! Maybe one of these questions would help provide a more powerful lesson:
What if you had taken the bar out of your purse and left it at home or in your car as soon as you found it?
What if you had labeled that bar in your mind as "tomorrow's bar" instead of "spare bar"?
What if you had given away that bar to a homeless person or a coworker?
And I have two completely opposite experiments you could try with your nut bars. First, if you aren't already, experiment with how long you can stretch out the eating and appreciating of the bar while doing nothing else but eating it (no email, or reading, or talking with anyone else -- just you in a quiet place appreciating your treat for the day). The opposite experiment is to quit with the nut bars entirely for a couple of weeks. Choose an alternative. I measure out almonds mixed with dark chocolate chips for a similar sort of treat. Or maybe you would want to try something completely different -- yogurt and granola or cottage cheese and fruit. Going without might give you a whole new perspective.

BillBlueEyes: congrats on a reasonable take on the hotel banquet. Yep, it would be easier if doggy bags didn't seem gauche in that circumstance.

ChefJoona: Yay for more shredding! I've got that DVD, but have never managed the consistency you are. I think I'll get it out today. I remember liking how my muscles felt when I did it!

pamatga
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I did Day 12 yesterday. "Practice Hunger Tolerance". After I posted here yesterday and worked through the book, I decided after all to have a Response Card available for this, just in case, I may revert to a very very old habit.

"Dealing With Hunger" Response Card:

"Hunger is never an emergency. Most people don't eat every time they're hungry. They wait until their next meal." (straight out of the pink book, pg 125). I added "So can I!"

Caveat: IF I start feeling light-headed and start to physically shaking (my hands visibly do) I will check my blood glucose. If it is under 90 mg/dl, I'll either have a light 100 calorie snack or take 2 of my glucose tablets (15 calories each).

Low blood sugar can be as dangerous as high blood sugar. Your brain uses glucose for energy and one of the first symptoms of low blood sugar is impaired cognitive ability.

I keep my tablets in my purse but just in case I wouldn't be where my purse is. This is the strange thing I discovered about having higher blood glucose levels. First of all, you're not hungry for a lot longer than some people. Right now, I haven't eaten or drank anything in 12 hours and I am only mildly hungry. You might say, "Wow! That's cool!" No, it is not because without checking my blood glucose, that must mean it is up sufficiently enough that I am not experiencing "normal" hunger pangs. What it does means is that there is excess glucose pooling in my blood that my pancreas has not been able to "work off". I had one of my favorite meals last night: spaghetti--2 servings and garlic cheese bread! Need I say more? Waaaay too many carbs for that time of night. If I were carb loading for the Peachtree Run I would be fine but instead I watched "The Voice". Getting the picture? Me too.:(

A classic rule of thumb for "diabetics" is to wait and eat when your blood glucose is under 135 mg/dl. If you have tested it at several intervals and it still isn't you then can eat a very small snack. One of the "correct" ways of keeping your blood glucose on even levels is to learn to keep an equilibrium. That takes efffort and practice. I am so grateful that when it was a lot higher this time last year, I did not ignore it but learned as much as I could about monitoring my blood glucose. I hate to tell you this but most diabetics do not. I know many and most do not. My eyes start blurring when I have too much sugar in my blood. The thought of going blind is not something I want to even consider. Yet, I have to keep that in mind as well when I am exercising portion control or eating way more sugar than my body can handle. I have seen and heard about diabetics who take a shot of insulin before eating a piece of pie. I kid you not. The diabetes instructor (back in March) said that is very hard on our body to do that. She likened doing that to putting shards of broken glass in your shoes and walking on it. One bloody mess. I'm not judging them. I just feel they are either ignorant of their disease, in denial or plain don't care.

Listen to me talk! I just had waaaay too many carbs last night. I think I was seeing it as my "Last Supper" and the last time I could do that. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I credit myself with being "transparent". 12 Steps saying" You are only as sick as your secrets."

Once my blood glucose gets back to "normal", I might actually experience normal hunger so I decided to make a Response card for that.

A lot of this is coming back to me from when I "attempted" Beck in 2007. I think if I had had a group like this I might be one of the maintainers instead of "newbies". Water over the dam.;)

Friday will be Day 15 and "D-Day". No more excuses, if, ands or buts. It's like having labor pains the night before giving birth. You are tired of being huge, you are tired of feeling like a "blob" and you just want it over with it. However, you know that you have to go through something "difficult" and painful to get to hold that precious love in your arms. For all the Moms and Dads here, you know what I am talking about. Well, I want to get this show on the road. I am not looking forward to going through the painful stuff and I will try not to whine (too much) for the next 15-16 months but I hope I can recall what it was like to be a "thin mint" and not a "chunky monkey" and know that it will all be worthwhile. Happy Feet here I come! :dancer:

Love to ya'all!:hug:

PS My avatar is my great niece Sadie Catherine. It was one of her "first year" photos. I love her and I haven't even met her yet in person. That's how love is.

maryann
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Chinakat: My favorite phone message I ever received was from one of my best friends. An unidentified voice came over the tape and said "I would like to report a murder. My mind is trying to kill me." That about sums up obsession.
BBE: the leaving meat thing probably stems from the caveman days. Congrats against fighting your primal urges.
gardenerjoy: I agree about skipping the hunger experiment after you have done it once. The second time I did it just lowered my blood sugar. It was a crucial experience but I didn't need to repeat it.
Pagamata: cute picture.
ChefJoona: Thanks for the info. I love layers and an evening cool enough for a light sweater.

I am on my 3rd OP day. It has been awhile since I have strung together 3 days in a row and I feel excited. Love spring break.

Lexxiss
04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi Coaches!

I woke up to a day good enough for bike riding so I rode to the pool (and back), got a nice soak in and made a side trip to the rowing machine. Food OP and I noticed while heating leftovers for lunch that I picked 3 pieces of rice off the stove and put them in the compost. Not a diet breaker if I eat them but a refreshing new life habit when I don't put them in my mouth.

BillBlueEyes, I think it's great that you continue to be aware of your banquet behaviors….probably coming close to your extra 25% and having many credits along with a few behaviors to still work on.

gardenerjoy, your suggestions for chinakat were very helpful to me, too. I find I don't think of all the different possibilities.

pamatga, a very thoughtful post yesterday regarding hunger, desire and craving. I was interested to find out about our blood glucose rising when we are sick, especially since I've had some type of virus for over a week. Credit yourself for coming to the conclusion that moderation in everything is the path you must take. Such a cute pic-I would have thought it was from one of those baby calendars.

maryann, yay for 3 OP days and candy barely touched at Easter...and for a nice spring break.

onebyone, maybe I shouldn't read your posts...my Bro lives in KW and it's been awhile since I've been down. I'm glad to hear you both recognize you needed this vacation.

grayhenry, I have had an email diet coach, but I am personally much happier with this group.

chinakat, you said, "I feel so rotten about it. I've been doing really well, this felt like a total setback….." I think this is where tools from BDS are quite handy. We say, oh well, move on, get back on track.

ChefJoona, I am glad to hear you celebrate each time you shred….I remember your struggling with starting an exercise plan not all that long ago.

chinakat
04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Thank you all for your thoughtful and Beckish replies to my nut bar crisis. Lots to think about here.

Today I would like to announce that I dusted off my workout clothes and actually hit the gym. :carrot:

I honestly do not recall the last time I went. I have been paying them a nice little subsidy every month, in exchange for the sheer pleasure of my carrying a little keychain tag with my gym's name on it. Which is not much of a workout, I will confess.

It had been so long, I had to actually study the pics sides of the weight machines to remind myself how to lift weights using good form. BUT... credit to me, I did it and it was awesome. And I'll be back again soon. Yay, me!

BillBlueEyes
04-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was OP, CREDIT moi. Was back on course with my dumbbells at the gym, CREDIT moi.

Home emergency was that no hot water entered the washing machine. DW has grown tired of COLD/COLD washes. So, I took things apart and fiddled a bit thinking that a blocked strainer would be the problem. After I cleaned all that was visible and put it back together, the hot water won't go off!!! Even when unplugged. Ouch. I ordered a new inlet valve at 10pm last night. Yay for the Internet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thank you Dr. Beck for one of the best ideas of all time, "Hunger is not an emergency."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - My take is that it is a big deal to pick up three rice grains and not pop them in your mouth. Reinforcing that your body isn't the garbage can.

maryann - Kudos for 3rd OP day. [Yep, cavemen like me and Homer Simpson gotta haves us our meat, LOL.]

ChefJoona - Yay that you and Jillian are still together after all this time! Kudos for a rapid recovery from Easter Candy - enjoy that dark chocolate bar with full awareness that it has some health benefits. Who knows, perhaps the peeps have emotional health benefits but no one has done a professional study.

pamatga - Now that's a motivating call to action, "Happy Feet here I come!" Thanks for the blood sugar discussion.

chinakat - Honking Kudos for back to the gym! LOL at the energy expenditure of carrying around a gym tag.

Readers - chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

reality check

If you are thinking: I don't want to throw away food. It's a waste of money.
Face reality: The money is already gone. It's better to waste the food in the trash than in your body.

ChefJoona
04-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Yesterday was my planned day off from Jillian. I had back to back social plans after work. I did ok with eating during them. I still probably went over my calorie limits because I had a pint of beer. I rarely drink anymore since starting Beck. I love good local beer (as this was last night) but one of the easiest diet skills for me is to not "drink my calories". I am feeling a lot of guilt about that beer.
Today I am hosting a mini retreat at my house. The five of us that form our "Dialectical Behavior Therapy" consultation team at my agency are spending the day away from the office focused on our DBT work. It is pot-luck style, but we planned a pretty healthy menu. And I've been able to plan ahead for what I will enjoy.

The warm weather came rushing into VT yesterday! It was beautiful and near 80! Today is going to be a little soggy, but still in the upper 70's. It will cool down a bit over the next few days.

maryann Yay for 3 on plan days!!!
chinakat I too have one of those unused key tags for a local gym... Major credit for getting out and using it!

ChefJoona
04-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Just did my mid-week weigh-in.... Up over 2 pounds from Sunday. Could the 1 beer from last night be causing it? I'm confused! I've been working so hard with Jillian!

gardenerjoy
04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Day 13: Overcome Cravings
I rarely have cravings any more for particular foods, even though they used to rule my days. I still have, and suppose that I may always have, occasional desires to be more full than I usually am these days, frequent desires to continue eating at the end of a meal or snack (this is worst after supper and is most effectively solved by going upstairs), and occasional desires for a kind of care-free abandon that I remember experiencing around food (that probably wasn't as good a feeling as it is in my memory).

I had forgotten the tip about drinking a no- or low-calorie beverage. I know that I sometimes eat in response to thirst. So, I would like to work a bit harder with that technique. Hot tea is surprisingly filling!

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +60* 1265/1500 minutes for April, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ChefJoona: I'm guessing it wasn't the beer but the hidden sodium in everything else at the restaurant. If so, drink lots of water and it will be gone in a couple of days. Since you don't like to drink your calories, what could you do differently next time that would make it easier not to order the beer?
I worked out with Jillian last night and I'm achey this morning! But it's a good kind of ache! With my knee problems, I modified nearly all of the cardio to high marches. I always laugh when she says she has 400 pound people doing jumping jacks. I'll risk my knees for an all expense paid trip to the Biggest Loser Ranch and a chance at winning $100,000. Until then, I'll assume that I know more about how to protect my knees than Jillian does.

pamatga
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Well, since I hadn't eaten at the time that I posted yesterday, I decided to go ahead and do the hunger tolerance experiment noting the provisions that I outlined in my post. I had a cup of chocolate soy milk around 11:30 pm on Tuesday to take my evening pain pills. I ate on Wednesday at 5 pm. That was 17 hours. I started getting shaky around 4 pm so I decided to take my blood glucose to see what it was before I decided to "break my fast". I was mildly surprised that it was 105 mg/dl. [Ideal normal is 95 mg/dl] I probably could have even gone to 8-9 pm before I ate something. It's 10:30 am EST and once again I haven't eaten anything. I am having one more "Last Supper" at noon. We are going to my favorite Chinese restaurant then to the nursery next door (how convenient :D)to buy some plants to plant our garden this afternoon. Morning fasting reading: 109 mg/dl. If I were a scientist and doing research, I would draw the conclusion that significantly less food is the answer to my blood sugar issues. At least, on days when I am very inactive.

Well, I did Day 13 Overcome Cravings. I have spoke about this before at some length. I worked on this issue separately in the past through OA (Overeaters Anonymous) since a lot of my former binge eating was around cravings. I have a pretty good resistance muscle in this area BUT how will it be when I go completely and entirely "on plan" starting tomorrow will depend on how willing I am to keep "trigger foods" out of sight/out of mind for me.

On Plan for me from here on in is 1800-2100 calories initially, 3-4 servings fruits and 4-6 servings vegetables, low fat, low or minimal sugar, high fiber, spread over 3 meals and 2 snacks. On ideal days, I follow this to the letter. On less than ideal, I don't. I made one more Response card for the mindset and behavioral techniques for dealing with cravings.

I have used the term "trigger" foods as also something that I have my radar on for potentially "going overboard" when eating. In the past, I methodically eliminated some foods from even crossing the threshold of our home so as to eliminate "overeating". Recently, nuts has had to be added reluctantly after a couple of months ago getting a huge jar of raw almonds and eating 1000 calories at a couple sittings made me realize I can not "just eat one serving" (1 oz). I tried it again two weeks when I bought some raw walnuts for the retreat and ended up eating a much smaller package but again still 1000+ calories at one sitting.

I thought I could handle eating dark chocolate (I even tried 90% cacao-I prefer the Lindt ones) but the bars usually state 2.5 servings and I can not seem to stop at one serving. So, that too will have to go on my "trigger" foods list. Raisins and dried fruit are "fence sitters" right now. I had to put trail mix on my "trigger foods" list because of the combination of nuts and dried fruits was paradise to my mouth. I am thinking that the higher (good) fat is what the "trigger" is that causes me to overeat.

I'm taking this particular Day practice very seriously because it is a "diet buster" for me. I have been posting here for a couple of months and I have seesawed almost to the point of whiplash. I'm not happy about it but as I have read this book I've come to an understanding with myself about what and why I haven't been successful in losing weight.

Sometimes, it does seem like Dr. Beck is stating the obvious but sometimes we (human nature?) are looking for "something else" and fail to see that there is a distinct link between the choices we make and the outcome and/or results. I hate to admit this but for every time I gave in rather than resisted a personal "favorite" I was setting myself further back from realizing this very important personal goal. Sometimes, it is just that simple....or hard, depending on how much resistance you put into continuing to look elsewhere for the "magic bullet/pill/diet" etc. As stated, this works with any healthy food plan. Think of it like learning how to ride a bike or downhill ski. You didn't question how to do those things. You just figured the instructor was telling you this is the skills you need to be able to do this task. If you want to ride a bike or downhill ski then this is what you need to do. I feel that is all Dr. Beck is saying.

I have a lot more weight to lose than some of you here in this group. I have certain health issues that will not go away (and will probably get worse) if I don't lose this extra weight. What have I got to lose by working these techniques? Hopefully, 130 extra pounds. I spent $11 with S&H for my pink book. I have bought pizzas that cost more than that. I lose all this weight and keep it off then it was the best $11 I have ever spent. Right now, I'm betting on Beck.

PS My avatar is my great niece Sadie Catherine. In our family we have a "tradition" of going to a professional photographer and having each of us get a sitting when we are 1 years old. This was one of the proofs. I'm hoping to update my own personal photo in the next week or so. She's a great stand in until then.

grayhenry
04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm having a hard time with this---- overeating now because I'm anticipating this diet that's coming up soon. I KNOW that is SO wrong. I know it. And very self-sabotaging. But when I see that chocolate egg, or the Ho-Ho and think, I'm not food journaling yet. So I can have this! Soon enough it will be hard to resist, so I might as well have it now.

Help on this?!

Kris

chinakat
04-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm having a hard time with this---- overeating now because I'm anticipating this diet that's coming up soon. I KNOW that is SO wrong. I know it. And very self-sabotaging. But when I see that chocolate egg, or the Ho-Ho and think, I'm not food journaling yet. So I can have this! Soon enough it will be hard to resist, so I might as well have it now.

Help on this?!

Kris

I totally understand the urge. I've been there! But just think, every calorie you go overboard on with now, and every ounce you gain from this final binge, will be a calorie you have to burn later, and more weigh you'll have to drop.

It might feel good *right this second* to eat it, but will it feel good as soon as you're done? Probably not.

Something I do when I have a lot of tempting food lying around the house is pack it all up and send it to work with my husband. He leaves it out for his coworkers, they eat it and I don't, and everybody is happy. Could you maybe find a new home for all of your tempting treats?

chinakat
04-28-2011, 08:05 PM
OK, I've set my "reasonable goal" of losing five pounds. Not a lot of leeway on this one, apparently, lol.

In the last week and a half, I have weighed anywhere from -1 to -4 from my starting weight. Different weight every day for me, story of my life.

Currently, I'm down 2. I was kind of hoping for a bigger loss within the first 10 days, typically when I start a diet I get a big loss the first week... which I know is partly water, but I still like the immediate gratification. This time around I was unfortunate enough to start during my TOM, and I know from experience that that week is always a bust for me weight loss wise.

Anyway, that's all I've got to report today.

Come post in my advantages thread!

maryann
04-28-2011, 08:45 PM
4 days OP but admittedly with some substitutions ( had some change in plans) . Nevertheless, I feel great about it. Very emotional day yesterday - forced to go thru some real grief regarding my relationships with my sister and my mom. There seems to be an infinite amount of times they can tremendously disappoint me. Perhaps I do the same to them. Whatever, at 6pm last nite I was crying ( balling actually) in a farmer's market with DH and DS. I felt like a failure one more time thinking things would turn out differently. But I didn't overeat; I had plenty of support from DS and DH and from a few quick phone calls to good friends. That is all anyone can really ask for and I am grateful.
Made plane reservations for Goddard this summer. Very Excited and nervous. This is a big step for a California girl.
Congrats to Chinakat weightloss, Lexxiss's bike, BBE's valve and everyone else. Easy does grayhenry. A shout out to everyone else and thanks to Chefjoona for good direction.

Lexxiss
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi Coaches!

Today was very busy and I used my Beck skills to get through a banquet, an afternoon knitting club and an evening on my own (whew!) at home! I thoroughly enjoyed 1 slice of cheesecake at the luncheon without guilt and brought an orange and diet drink to knitting. I quietly indicated to the hostess that while her food was beautiful that I followed a food plan and needed to stick to MY snack. Dinner was fantastic; plain spaghetti squash and sourdough bread in very tiny slices with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping. Dessert was a cup of diet cocoa following an explosion of cocoa (compliments of the high altitude) which went everywhere.( It shot out of the can like fireworks) Exercise was abundant and included cleaning up the cocoa. Everything is tracked to the best of my ability. *credit*

I have sat down and read everyone's posts today. I will try and get back to you all...I think it's important for me to sit in solitude for the remaining 15 min. until DH gets home.

ChefJoona
04-29-2011, 05:57 AM
Happy Royal Wedding day!

I was raised with grandparents who were very proud of our family's English heritage, so I am very excited about the events of this morning... planning my own wedding for this year helps me feel connected too! I have been up since 5pm with NBC on. Kate Middleton just got into her car and is processing towards the Abbey!

I got through the Retreat well yesterday. We ended with a trip for ice cream, and I threw away half my cone. Credit.

Shredded with Jillian and plan to do so tonight.

Happy Friday all!

BillBlueEyes
04-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan as was walking; CREDITs moi. Walking included searching for the arriving Spring Warblers who are readily visible right now before the trees get their full leaves. We also saw a Great Horned Owl and a Scarlet Tanager which, though not rare, are joyous birds to behold. (My washing machine inlet valve is now in Rochester, NY; Yay for Internet tracking of packages!)

onebyone - Waving toward Cape Canaveral. Have a marvelous time watching Shuttle launch today at 3:47 p.m E.T.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hmmm . . . recalling that "care-free abandon that I remember experiencing around food" - seems that I was care-free trying to feel satisfied and only got there when I felt stuffed. I agree, my memory of it's joy isn't accurate.

silverbirch - Waving. Are you caught up in the William and Kate wedding buzz?

Debbie (Lexxiss) - LOL at "explosion of cocoa" as well as counting it as exercise to clean up. Kudos for the banquet, knitting club, and solo evening sticking to your plan.

maryann - Kudos for 4 day OP - my take is that substitutions are good since they reinforce that our food plan can fit into our real lives. Ouch for the emotional day - sounds like you made a good recovery with family support. Yay that you're making Goddard real with reservations.

ChefJoona - Yay for warm weather making its way to Vermont. No, you didn't gain two pounds from a pint of beer. It does seem to happen that whenever the scale wiggle goes up we feel guilty about our last minor diversion from our minimal eating plan. And when the scale wiggles down, we tend to assume that our last minor minor diversion has no negative effect. Alas, the scale wiggles mostly due to water. Stay the course - you and Jillian are winning.

pamatga - I know about 1000 calories of nuts quickly consumed. I no longer buy cashews since they were my favorite nut to eat by the handful. (And, fortunately, don't have the positive nutritional impact of pecans, walnuts, and almonds.) I do well when I count out a number of nuts; I do poorly when I confront an unexpected open bowl of nuts at an event. Good luck to you wrestling down your solution to these little guys. And thanks for sharing Sadie Catherine with us.

chinakat - It's a challenge when the scale isn't giving the results we want. Keep the faith, your body knows what it's doing and the scale will catch up.

Kris (grayhenry) - Ouch that the human brain can think of Sabotaging Thoughts at the speed of light. I recommend that you start food journaling IMMEDIATELY instead of waiting until you start your food plan. It will help you fight off that eat-now-forever-hold-your-peace kind of thinking as well as give you a baseline to look back on.

Readers - chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Don't be like the dieter who got rid of the
tempting cake and candy in her house by
eating it! Use this mantra: When in doubt,
throw it out!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 38.

eusebius
04-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Just popping in to say I've been thinking of pamatga with the terrible weather in her area and I hope she and everyone here from the South is OK ...

It's been insane. I've been emotionally drained and need a break big time. I may not get it until Mother's Day, unfortunately. But I've been OP all week and reading my Beck book each morning and my response cards multiple times a day.

I hope to get back to personals next week when the dust settles a bit. Meanwhile, one more day of playing for everyone in the universe who sings anything, and then I'm done.

Have a great day all.
Erika

gardenerjoy
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Day 14: Plan for Tomorrow
I've been tracking my food well for the past 13 days, but not so much with the planning ahead. And it does work. I know it does because I've experienced it. So I'll be doing that tonight!

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +10* 1275/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Thinking of onebyone in Florida and silverbirch and RubyJan in England. It's nice to have some events to celebrate in the world!

grayhenry: If you can't get the eating under control at this moment, at least start using it as data. What foods are most difficult for you (and, therefore, going to take the most strategizing around)? What times of day are you most likely to indulge more than you want? What locations impact your eating? What emotional and relational situations impact your eating? That's all valuable information that you will be able to use as you form your personalized strategy for weight loss over the next few weeks and months.

silverbirch
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Diet Coaches/Buddies
silverbirch - Waving. Are you caught up in the William and Kate wedding buzz?

:wave: to all.

Bill, I've just read this whilst on a train (I know you like that idea)! The DB and I have spent a few days in France where I have used a few Beck ideas; only eat whilst sitting down and a variant of hunger is not an emergency, tense tummy is not an emergency requiring food. We'll see what the scales say in a few days. So I missed most of the celeb craziness.

The French media seemed to be fixated on the royal wedding (a "planetary event" according to Le Figaro). My mother was invited to a champagne and canape event involving a large flat screen television here in England. We'll watch the news in a moment to catch the highlights but, overall, I take or leave the royal family as it's easy to do when you've got one.

Beck on, friends.

grayhenry
04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
WEighed in today and I'm back at 182.

Trying to do better - had a spinach leaf salad with tuna, feta cheese, and almonds with raspberry vinagrette dressing for lunch. Dinner? Don't know yet - eating out with my sister. That will be hard. Don't want another salad....

Going to be an emotionally difficult weekend. My sil is coming in from out of town. I don't like her, too long to go into. Will have to work extra hard to keep the emotional eating at bay.

Take care, hoping for a better weigh-in next week.

Kris

pamatga
04-29-2011, 05:37 PM
I have decided to call this my "Beck Plus Diet"; since I am adding the Beck Diet Solution to my existing food plan. So, from now on when I refer to this you will know what I am talking about. (PS I was a double major in college with Communication being my second and I am anal about communicating clearly)

Sorry about this being so late but I got to sleep at 5 am today. Another rough night with my right hip. All I can say is I walked, I moaned, I stretched, I had water and then I had a bowl of shredded wheat. Yes, besides pain meds I sometimes "medicate" myself with middle of the night foods. I spent 15 minutes pre-planning today's meals and snacks only to "blow it" at 3:30 am. Some first day! HOWEVER, I credit myself with thinking on my feet and after finally getting some relief from the pain I got up and dealt with a very difficult decision my DH and I had been wrestling with for nearly a month. Empty stomach and sore muscles from Charlie horses in the past couple of days.

I credit myself with eating a very good healthy meal not pre-planned but certainly OP. I credit myself with saying "oh, well" about having to make a decision that I did not want to make but given my options it was the best one for the time being. I credit myself with making yet another decision that until I feel I have a better understanding of where I stand with desserts (no definition needed there) that "NO Choice" is the answer. I credit myself with telling my DH that until further notice he is to NOT tell me when his choir members have a b-day and share treats and he brings me home something "just so I won't feel left out". I may be a salmon swimming upstream but as far as I am concerned right now, I swimming the right way and it's everyone else who's got it wrong.;)

Perfectionism dies hard with this gal but die it must!:mad:

Yes, we here in Atlanta are very fortunate indeed. I am in the process of tracking down some good friends in Alabama that we are concerned about. All of these people have been in our prayers. Thank you for asking.

Here's to quite a day-young love and getting married including the soon to be bride here and space shuttles going into the "vast unknown". Here is to hope and possibilities and to all here who are learning as we go along. Isn't that just how life is?

Love Pam

Lexxiss
04-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi Coaches!

I had to drive to a meeting today that I knew would last through lunch. I went back to the house after swimming and brought a snack. I know I was hungry, as I returned home, because I kept thinking of the places to eat along the way. I remembered (and felt) that my hunger was not an emergency and thought about the OP lunch which would reward me at home. Yay for good Beck days and remembering to give myself credit.

BillBlueEyes, nice when eating and exercise is so on track that we can enjoy a full report on your spectacular birds! Aren't those colors just spectacular!

pamatga, I think it's a very powerful decision to ask your DH NOT to tell you when he brings home goodies. My DH and I had that talk and it's really helped. For me, I have a back door sabateur, who allows DH to bring the stuff (I didn't do it) then I nibble away and he doesn't even notice. *credit* for your hunger tolerance experiment, too.

Kris(grayhenry), I hope you are able to have a sane food weekend. I remind myself that "eating won't fix it" . *credit* for trying to do better.

silverbirch, :wave:

gardenerjoy, yay for repeat performances of "tracking food".

Erika(eusebius), major kudos for OP during and insane and emotionally draining week! You have at least one thing to feel most excellent about!

ChefJoona, happy shredding!

maryann, sorry yesterday was so draining. Before I get together with Mom and Sis I remind myself over and over to not expect certain results. I do quite well with each, one on one, BTW. Yay for plane tickets and OP days!

chinakat, I've found that the longer I track my weight, the easier it is to just flow with the fluxuations. Yay for setting that "reasonable goal" because it's recommended.

BillBlueEyes
04-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, including skipping my evening snack because we got home late after a performance of Mozart's Messiah. It's only the 100 calories in one California Navel Orange, but it's a deal to me because I almost never skip my evening snack regardless of how late. So I went to bed with just a minor hunger for that snack and it didn't kill me.

Standard gym, CREDIT moi, except that I tried to increase my dumbbell weights by 5# and wasn't able to - yet. It was fun to try since I'm moving to weights that seems high for me.

onebyone - AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Erika (eusebius) - Kudos for remaining on your food plan while "playing for everyone in the universe who sings anything." If you had played for our singers last night you'd have had to use your harpsichord for the Hayden piece. Heard a double bass obligato for the first time that I was aware - BIG instrument with six strings played with a bow shaped like a wood saw and held like serious work was being done.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for thinking about planning ahead.

silverbirch - LOL at "planetary event" - how kind of the French to acknowledge that the British Royalty matters. Kudos for "tense tummy is not an emergency requiring food" when within smelling distance of a French bakery.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for thinking "about the OP lunch which would reward me at home." Good strategy.

pamatga - Sending supportive thoughts for the continued pain and sleeping difficulties.

Kris (grayhenry) - That's one fine lunch: "spinach leaf salad with tuna, feta cheese, and almonds with raspberry vinaigrette dressing." Kudos for acknowledging your emotions in advance so that you can prepare to keep food from tying to solve them.

Readers - chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

task 5
Get Organized

If you honestly can't get rid of some foods that might trigger you to overeat, then at least make it as difficult as possible to get to those temptations. Store them in the basement, garage, or even in the trunk of a family member's car. Place them in a closed box at the back of the highest kitchen shelf. Put perishable foods in a paper bag, staple the bag, and then move it to the back of the refrigerator or freezer. The general principle is: Out of sight, out of mind.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 38.

ChefJoona
04-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Good morning all,

Yesterday wasn't a great day. I decided to for-go exercising and eating well in favor of celebrating the wedding with my friends. I'm here to be accountable and pledge to get back on track today. I'm also not going to judge myself. I did use some of my Beck skills- I added vegetables to my plate and took small portions. But it wasn't eating to lose weight. Moving on...

eusebius
04-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Morning Coaches/Buddies!

I'm very happy to have stayed on plan all week despite a crazy schedule and long commutes. It feels really good. The info provided by the scale has been quite varied and interesting, lol. I'm considering the idea of varying my WW points intake from day to day like the Wendie Plan suggests. A few times I've noticed a drop in my weight the day after I eat a bit more than normal ... I wonder if shaking things up will keep the metabolism working. Who knows! It's worth a shot, particularly if I do it in a healthy way.

I read Day 27 - Master the 7 Question Technique today - I will read the response card daily though I suspect shorter slogans like "Hunger is not an emergency" and "NO CHOICE" will be more useful to me on a regular basis.

gardenerjoy - great job with the consistent tracking!
silverbirch - cool to have a perspective on the media craziness from a Beckie in Europe! Thanks for that.
Kris (grayhenry) - (((hugs))) to you for your tough weekend. Family visits can be very challenging to say the least ... Keep us posted!
pamatga - glad to hear you are OK and great job using the Beck principles to augment your food plan.
Debbie (Lexxiss) - Kudos for staying on track with your lunchtime meeting! I just love "hunger is not an emergency" = I've been saying it a lot lately.
Bill - Kudos for eating on plan despite being hungry for a healthy snack. Sounds like you heard a Baroque-style violone ... those things are majorly cool. It always amazes me how many different types of continuo there can be ... lutes, theorbos, harpsichords (which I play, but very badly LOL), fortepianos, cellos, gambas, basses, violones, even bassoons sometimes!
ChefJoona - Kudos for getting back on track after a day of celebration. "Oh well!" And kudos also for including veggies in your day.

Today I'll be taking DD shopping and to a movie, then out for dinner with the grandparents and my brother who's visiting from out of town. All has been planned in advance and I'm sticking to it ... No Choice!

Wishing everyone a great weekend,

Erika

Read ARC: yes
Sat down to eat: yes
Gave myself credit: yes
Walking: Spontaneous
Yoga: no

maryann
04-30-2011, 12:20 PM
5 days OP and it feels like a miracle and yet it also feels so simple. When I finally start putting days together, I forget immediately how long it took me to finally START PUTTNG DAYS TOGETHER. Ironic. So my task today is not take abstinence for granted. It is easier to stay on the wagon rather than running to jump back into the wagon.
A little knot of anxiety when I woke up this morning - thinking about going to work on Monday. Meditation and going to spend some time with DS and DH on the four wheelers should help. I know the feeling is about the challenges my job poses. I have fear over it but I also know it makes a me a better person when I meet those challenges without compulsive behaviors. That is my number one advantage Card: "I'll progress spiritually by facing my fear."
BBE: Love the idea of going to bed a little bit hungry. It is truly a spiritual practice.
Lexxiss: Thanks for the reinforcing reminder "remind myself not to have expectations around family."
Chef Joona: Sorry about the day. Good thing it was just lasts one day.
Pagmata: Physical pain to me is very difficult. I can't keep any perspective when I am experiencing it. Hoping you are better soon.
gardenerjoy: great response to Grey Henry. Really, bringing awareness to behavior, even in the middle of it, is a critical part of relief from that very behavior.
Silverbirch: Good to hear from you.
Eusibius: Congrats on being OP. Some of that overwhelmed feeling might be because you ARE OP.

FutureFitChick
04-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi, Everyone!

As you can see by the fact I am actually posting today (despite the fact it is both an alarm on my phone and a recurring task on my daily to do list) the semester is coming to an end.

I've done some interesting food work lately. Over lent I did a Daniel fast, which is a vegan diet with an associated bible study program. I struggled with cravings for food I could not have, but really interesting to me is that most of the time I did not give in to them. I simply said out loud "I want a cheeseburger" and that seemed to relese the craving for the most part. It really put "No Choice" both into better context (reminding me it is not about deprivation but about accepting the long term choice for health I am making) as well as making it feel more realistically obtainable for me. So, these were definitely important gifts of that month.

I declined an invitation to go out to dinner with some friends last night because there was no way I could handle ordering from that restaurant's menu without exceeding my calorie goal for yesterday.

BillBlueEyes, great job on the victory over the scheduled snack and pushing yourself but untimately listening to your body at the gym.

ChecJoona, good job moving on!

Eusibius, great job with sticking to your plan!

Maryann, congratulations on 5 terrific days! I'm really excited for you!

pamatga
04-30-2011, 03:56 PM
I will be posting later until I can get my sleep patterns back to normal. Pain is still a big deal right now with me. I am taking as much pain meds as I can without "oding". I do want to wake up when I finally fall asleep. Yes, I do eat during those late night hours (or early a.m. depending on how you look at it). I know that I am not hungry but I am simply using food as a distraction from the pain I am feeling.

However, credit for me, I am logging that as my breakfast choice. It does mean long hours in between meals (average 8 hours) but I am determined to keep on track so my food intake is spread out over the day (and night). As I said before, I embrace hunger so I can tolerate it for long periods of time. Caveat: as long as my mind is in the right place. Right now, we finished the Divine Mercy Novena. We sing it acapella. It is such a beautiful rosary. We are especially lifting our prayers up for those who are warring with each other. We need to show mercy to ourselves and to others. Another word synonmous with mercy is charity.

BBE it sounds like you are having a wonderful time enjoying the Baroque music. My favorite period. It is a joy to sing along in the Messiah. I am sure that Boston has it so you may join in if you wish. They do here. Eusebius my DH is familiar with that instrument. He has tuned harpsichords.

It sounds like we are all hitting our strides in sticking to our food plans, using our techniques and dealing with life's bumps without extra food! Yea to futurefitchick, Chefjoona, maryann (I know how this has been hard for you so extra Whoop for you), gardenerjoy, Lexxiss, silverbirch.

To our newbies here; grayhenry--great to hear your delicious and nutritious salad and chinakat---it will become easier the longer you do it. One day soon you will look back and say wow look how far I have come!

When I can, I ask for a take home menu from a restaurant so I can pre-plan what I am going to have before I arrive-the next time. I am doing that now since we are going to a favorite Greek restaurant after Mass tonight. I think I am going to have the Greek salad bowl: lettuce, tomato, vegetables, feta cheese, anchovies, calamata olives, stuffed grape leaves with either the grilled chicken breast or authentic gyro.

Since I wasn't up to planting yesterday we are going to plant tonight after we eat. This will be my summer garden: sugar snap peas, sweet green peppers, tomatoes, Swiss chard, cantalope ( a wonderful low glycemic fruit), arugula, radishes, sweet potatoes, strawberries and a huge blue flowered hydragnea in the middle of our garden plot. My DH loves that flower. If there is room after I have calculated the space for the plants and seeds I would like to add a white flower around the blue and then a red one around the white. Bulls eye!

Have a great reminder of the day.:hug:

gardenerjoy
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Day 15: Monitor your Eating
I've done this with more or less precision since August 2009. I anticipate doing so for the rest of my life. The less precise methods are quite easy after all of this practice. Right now, I'm using a bit more precision since I seem to need some extra help to lose these last few pounds and transition into maintenance.

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +125* 1390/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss
05-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi Coaches!

We had a busy day...I was at the health fair by 630am with my healthy therapy pup. *credit* for resisting the 160 cal bar that was left on my chair. I got home and we decided to travel today as the old pup was just "done" with the vacation house. It was a rugged trip, we had to stop 4 times to get him readjusted. I did not have a plan and did not exercise but credit for staying within my calories.

It is now Sunday, just after midnight(we slept all afternoon) We are spontaneously deciding to go to Denny's which is a 25 mile drive...it's something we talk about and never do. This little mountain town we're in closes at 8pm. I haven't looked but am confident I can get something that marginally fits into my plan.

ETA-We had a great time! I had a veggie burger, no cheese, no mayo and fries of which I gave half to DH.
Get this-on the menu.....a BBBLT which boasts 8 full slices of bacon AND a Maple Bacon Sundae, which is two scoops of ice cream, topped with maple syrup and ?? bacon?? Even DH said, "I don't think that sounds very good" Hmm...to me, it seems like we don't have any sort of "food morals" anymore.

BillBlueEyes
05-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Please join us as this discussion continues on

Beck Diet For Life/Solution May 2011 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/232197-beck-diet-life-solution-may-2011-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/206004-list-monthly-beck-threads-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)