Weight Loss Support - how does your job help &/or hinder your diet?

Mishflynn
04-01-2011, 04:10 AM
Hiya, up till last year i was working in a office, sitting on my *** all day, i was putting on weight, but i found it easy to diet, as i had to fit into smartish clothes & were amongest other girls, so "wanted" to look resonable!

Anyway last year, when i left to start my own business (dog training & dog walking) i kinda expected to loose weight easily due to all the exercise, but the opposite is true & all the time driving from job to job= Snacking,
& being able to stop at any shop/fast food= diaster. Im not sure how much i put on , but it was a good dress size (size & a half)
Casual doggy clothes= hidden weight gain:devil:

Sooo what ive changed.....making my job work FOR my weight loss
Number 1 rule: No snacking EVER when driving
Number 2 rule: if i have a hour or two spare inbetween jobs, do not go home/park up to eat, but take MY dogs for a extra walk or training.

At the moment, that alongside my diet is working!!!! The next thing is dog shows start soon, & that is Loooongggg days, early starts lots of driving....bring it on!

Feel free to share you own stories,please!!!!!:D

NaturalStupidit
04-01-2011, 08:00 AM
It hinders because I get so bored all I want to do is eat! And they're constantly having parties in the lunchroom and leaving the extra food out for the taking.

They help because occasionally they do weight loss competitions for money - it's good motivation!

caryesings
04-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I work from home all but 2 weeks a year. I find the two weeks in the office to be a bigger challenge between food in breakroom, pot lucks, going to lunch with the girls and being able to stop on the way home for groceries or takeout.

So, while it is true my kitchen is near all day, I control what goes in it and keep the tempting stuff out!

SCraver
04-01-2011, 09:39 AM
My job helps... I only eat during the day what I pack in my lunch bag. I also belong to the gym at work - so I go on my lunch break. It's the days when I am home and left to my own devises that things get tricky. I think I might start "packing" my lunch bag for those days, too.

ShanIAm
04-01-2011, 09:39 AM
It hinders because I get so bored all I want to do is eat! And they're constantly having parties in the lunchroom and leaving the extra food out for the taking.

They help because occasionally they do weight loss competitions for money - it's good motivation!

I think Natural and I work for the same company! There have been left over bagels and pastries in the break room fridge for DAYS. But the copier and fax machine are in there too so I can't avoid it. I am lucky tho that there are 3 other women (2 of which are motivated) on this journey with me. We keep each other in check. And it also offers up some healthy competition!

Once I got past the 3pm grazing habit, I did a lot better at work.

Andrbeck
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I think it hinders me because I want to just sit and EAT all day!! I try to bring "healthy" snacks but I just want junk food so bad!

zoodoo613
04-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure it really makes a difference. I know I like to use work as an excuse. I gained 10 lbs right away when I started this job last fall. After 3 years of working from home, I'm now struggling to find a time to exercise now that I'm back in an office and have to juggle work and childcare. (I can't do it before or after! I need to pick up my son! I can't do it at lunch! I get too sweaty!) But the truth is, except for a few motivated months here and there, I didn't exercise at lunch when I worked from home and had complete freedom to work sweaty if I wanted. And for a time before that when I was in an office, I managed to drag myself out of bed early for time on the exercise bike.

I've managed to gain weight or lose in sedentary jobs and in active ones. In my one period of unemployment, I seemed to have effortlessly maintained. I think it's all internal. There are advantages and pitfalls everywhere, and when my mindset is right I figure out how to use it to my advantage, and when it's not, I use it to my disadvantage.

Rana
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I gained a ton of weight when I started at this position too, but I think it was because I had a lot more free time and options for healthier eating that had kept me thinner (but not ideal weight!).

This job made it worse because there was a lot of food sharing and going out with coworkers and meeting up with friends because I no longer had the time like I did before. Oh and the traveling! So hard to eat well while traveling. It's been a long learning curve.

But now, as I am losing weight, it's helping me. I can bring my own food, I'm antisocial (and everyone has gotten used to it) and I don't feel the pressure to eat out (and no one is expecting me to join them anyway, so it's a relief). I can eat at home if I want to and at work I don't have snacks to overeat.

I've also had to crave out work out time in my work routine and it helps that my job is flexible to adjust to it.

tamara72
04-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I work 12 hour shifts and eat all my meals there when at work. Because the food is ordered in the morning when I have just eaten breakfast I always choose a healthy lunch and tea and we dont have any snacks available throughout the day. I struggle more being at home when I am alone in the house. That is when I want to raid the fridge and think about food constantly. The plus side of being at home is that I can take the dog out into the middle of nowhere for a few hours whereas at work I get very little exercise.

Beach Patrol
04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
my job hinders my diet in that I am responsible to keep the "snack machine" filled (candies, cookies, donuts, chips, etc.) and I also am responsible to fetch the cake (or ice cream) every other month when it's time to celebrate office birthdays. PLUS hosting a lot of catered lunches, retirement parties, company outings, etc.

5 years now!!! I started this job at 150 & worked my way up to 192 lbs... ... ugh, it's getting easier... :^:

saef
04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I sit in front of a laptop all day, which doesn't help.

But since the new health plan went into effect, my company actually seems to be doing more than paying lip-service to "preventive" measures. A few weeks ago, they overhauled the cafeteria. In particular, the salad bar & the choices on it, and the selection of fresh fruit. It is now easier than ever to eat healthily there -- much easier than it was when I started working there in 1998.

I'm trying to see this as a bright spot & a sign of progress.

Xaria
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
My job is a hindrance as well.

I work in an office setting and between stress, boredom, sitting on my butt, and office parties, it's a nightmare.

I eat all day when I'm at work. I've tried not bringing food to snack on but then I feel like I'm starving and it's all I can think about and then I worry that I'll binge on the snack machine, so not snacking is not an option.

I try to bring a lot of low calorie snacks that I can munch on through the day and not feel guilty about, but some days it's a challenge.

When I'm home, I hardly ever have snack attacks like that. Some days I even struggle to get all of my calories in. It's so weird.

Just one more reason to quit my job soooooooooooooooooooooon! :carrot:

MzJuicyD
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Mine both hinder and help. It hinders because at both jobs, there are ALWAYS luncheons and various reasons to have food lol. Always food EVERYWHERE! Especially at the library where they find any reason possible to have cake, cookies, donuts, ice cream, etc. lol

Having my 2 jobs do help because there's a lot of walking, especially when I do tours at the museum. Also, I work very long hours and never have time to eat outside my lunch breaks lol. Thats a plus!

PElaine
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
My job is a hinderence, but it isn't as bad as other places I've worked. The good part is I work in a small office for a large company and I am here most of the time by myself, so no food in the office! The bad part is I work very, very long hours and have to get up very early to get here on time, so I don't have time away from work to shop and prepare the right foods or work out as much as I want to. I am working on managing that time better though.

Elaine

Runundefined
04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
For years as I worked in the outside world I was sure it was much harder in an office environment because of all the constant food (I worked in a hospital and the drug reps and RN's always brought in food.. it was everywhere, all the time).

Now that I have a home based business it's almost just as hard. For some reason I am much more easily distracted by hunger, even the slightest, when I am working in my home office.. I think it's the fact that the kitchen is only a few feet away. I cook healthy meals but I have problems keeping my portions down with constant tripping to the fridge to graze.

I think mentally it feels "ok" because it's not pastry or donuts or "Thunder Cake".. (I used to call it Thunder Thigh Cake.. it was a specialty one of the Dr's brought in that his wife made once a week for us.. ugg, I think she was a size 0). It's leftover healthy stews or stirfries or grilled BBQ chicken.

In reality it's still a struggle. I guess it just always is!

Mishflynn
04-01-2011, 01:35 PM

OMG Foody parties would be a complete downfall for me!:dizzy:

Mishflynn
04-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone foryour replies, interesting reading! I guess its just being about making the BEST of whaTEver your situation is

surfergirl2
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Totally hinders!! I have an office job. I lost a lot of weight when i stopped working for a year, and then gained a lot as soon as i started working again. Like one of the posters above, i snack ALL DAY at work...i do it out of boredom/procrastination--not that i don't have work to do, but i don't WANT to do it, i'd rather eat :( When i'm not working, i'm outside doing stuff...as long as i'm active, i don't overeat. it's when i'm stuck inside and bored that i overeat :(

bellastarr
04-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Mine both helps and hinders. I'm a first grade teacher so it's a good thing i'm super busy all day and only get a half hour for lunch. I don't have time to eat out of boredom.

It hinders because there is always some student coming to my door with a cookie cake, cupcake, ice cream sandwich whatever and we have tons of luncheons, pay day breakfast treats every other friday, and people constantly order lunch and it's hard to resist all these things but when i'm on my game i'm very good...

It also hinders that i can't pee all day long until the kids go to specials, which for me isn't until 1:50 pm) so the whole drinking tons of water is tough for me because of work. i can't just leave a whole classroom of kids alone and run out to the bathroom

P H A T
04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Ugh.. My job has been a hinderance as of late. I have a desk job, but I do a good amount of walking around through the day .. however, it's our busy season at work, so I've been pulling 10-12 hour days && well, its keeping me sleepy, tired, drained & not wanting to do anything but go to sleep once I get home. My exercising has slowed down considerably for the past 3 weeks because of getting home so late... But the good news is the busy season will be over in a week or so, & I'll be going HARD with activity ;; especially when it gets warm!

Dusti
04-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I once worked with a girl who constantly snacked and not the good kind. I found myself buying snacks like hers or finishing her snacks off and buying her replacements. :) Then one day I thought to myself "what am I doing, I was never a snacker before." Since then I have stopped all that but people you work with can definitely effect your eating habits if you let them. My job is very in-and-out and I am always on my feet but my body is so used to that so I really have to watch my diet and take in some different exercise at home to lose weight.

SweetScrumptious
04-02-2011, 08:02 AM
I would def say hinders!

I'm a nurse - a new grad one at that, therefore, I'm casual. I get to work Days, Evenings, and Nights... all over the place (since I'm relief for sick/vacations.. I do not have a set schedule and it fluctuates). Example: I have 6 days in a row coming up at the end of April --- Day shift, Night shift, Evening shift (short shift... get off at 7am, back at 3pm), Evening shift, Night shift, Night shift. [PS: It's 5am... typing this on my slow night shift ;)]

Let's just say those flip-flopping of shifts causes disrupt to my sleep schedule and stress to the body. Plus the included stress of this profession. Also, a lot of nurses on my ward LOVE to do pot-lucks... and do them often. So hard to resist yummy home cooked meals. And patients/families always bring in treats to say "thanks!"

But I have only lost a minimal of weight this month so I really need to step up and be more strict with myself. There's like 207 steps from the basement to the 11th floor here, so I'm gonna start doing those on my breaks. No more pot-lucks/junk for me. I'm also starting to look for a line so I can have a regular schedule! Gonna focus on my profession HELPING me lose weight instead of hindering :)

MusicalJess
04-02-2011, 09:08 AM
I work part-time at McDonalds. Going on your break=Help yourself to whatever food you WANT! Ok I tend to either have a grilled chicken salad and a fruit bag with coke zero or water. And when I'm on the breakfast shift I have a bagel with philly light. So I'm a (fairly) good chicken. But I have to WAIT for those foods to be cooked specially for me. When I just wanna get on my break and chill out its so tempting to grab whatevers ready, i.e.:cheeseburgers/fries/etc...

Also, I'm a student too. Meaning looonnnggg periods of my day are spent sat in lectures. So when I get out of a 2 hr lecture, having been up since 5am I just want to eat junk. Also, in my uni canteen a bar of chocolate is the same price as a banana/orange/apple...So when you want a sugar fix due to boredom/stress/whatever its easy to have some chocolate.

fatmad
04-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I work on call and often long hours, and then after months of this, take a month of and don't have any framework at all.
So work is a hinderance. I also make enough money to eat out frequently, but don't always have the time to work out frequently.
But as everyone has been saying, its up to us.
Now when we have a potluck every 2nd week, I ask for a break after lunch and we clean up. No more having stuff in front of me and continued snacking, (especially lots of stuff not allowed on my plan, I can only have will power so long sheesh). And today, I have about 6 hours of work to do, and was gonna go for a trail walk with DH and dog after, but we realized, that can get sidetracked, why not go before I start my work? So I have to choose to plan my exercise. I usually get to hot yoga classes at least 2 times a week and have some walks in between. But I have really had to make that a priority. Some of my colleagues have been helping, offering to take pages while I am in class, and I do the same for them.
When tired I also crave carbs and junk, and its just easier. I can totally kid myself into eating badly.
So generally a hinderance with work, but I CAN do it, and in fact I must do it for my health and to be around for those I love.
GOod thread, and thanks, its great to hear about those with "regular" schedules and their struggles, so I can't just whine about mine. We ALL have issues, and part of our journey is finding healthy ways to deal with eating and scheduling.

Katydid77
04-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Overall my job is much more of a help than a hindrance.

I work as a manager at a Panera so I work 10 hour shifts and walk/move constantly. When I have worn a pedometer, I have never walked less than 10 miles on a shift (once hit 13 miles on a super busy shift).

I bend, lift, carry, and do active things like unload trucks and clean the dining room.

BUT, I also get all that delicious food and pastries for free!! :D And since I work in a bakery I work with the product constantly.

Yesterday, for example, I personally baked 150 bagels, 40 cookies, a couple dozen scones, 3 big pastry rings, a huge tray of cinnamon rolls, and 24 muffins. :chef:

Sometimes it's not easy to bake all that, and bring it fresh out of the oven and not have a bite of something!! Especially the cookies and cinnamon rolls. The smell of those baking kills me. :rolleyes:

ShesLosingIt
04-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I work in customer service on a phone all day so the job itself is definitely a hindrance BUT I work on the 3rd floor so I take the stairs a lot. I go up the stairs to go to work, I go down on first break to use the lobby bathroom, down again for lunch and then on my last break I go up to the 5th floor to use their restroom - it's not much but it's better than nothing! I also keep one of those hand grip thingies at my desk to use during the day and do squats at the printer (coworkers think I'm nuts but the weight loss speaks for itself).

bellaella
04-02-2011, 04:11 PM
my job definitely hinders me!! ive been at this job for 1.5 years now and i think i may gained a tiny bit!! i try so hard to not eat during the day (other than my lunch and fruits) but its hard when all i do is sit in front of my computer. All i want to do is MUNCH!! and it never helps (esp during christmas) when people bring in treats and i feel bad not taking one when they offer!!

Serbrider
04-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't work all day... since I'm still in school. But this is how my job helps and hinders me:

Helps - I work at a vet clinic. I have to walk dogs, I'm on my feet for quite a lot of time, I often have to wrestle big dogs to the ground, etc.

Hinders - doesn't matter now as I can't eat the stuff due to gluten sensitivity, but people bring in "thank you" gifts of donuts, cakes, cookies, etc... so yeah. :p

fashinjunkie09
04-03-2011, 11:12 PM
My job is an awful hindrance. Not only do I sit on my behind in front of a computer all day, there is a "snack shack" in the breakroom on our floor filled with all kinds of snacky crap. The company has monthly mandatory luncheons that cater Buffalo Wild Wings and pizza among many other (all unhealthy) places. Also, any time there is a birthday in our department (which is at least once a month if not more often) we will have a "food day" where people bring their favorite yummy (and oh-so bad for you) dips, baked goods, etc. It's awful!

trancedreamer
04-03-2011, 11:19 PM
i got my group fitness cert when i was younger for this exact reason.

if i end up in an office i can @ least teach a class before or after work a few times a week.

bellaella
04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
i guess i forgot to add that my work has a wellness program! they offer classes to employees and its great! i am currently doing a yoga one! once a week during lunch i get taught yoga by a certified instructor. its not really a work out, but it does stretch you out and thats better than nothing at all!!

if you're up for the challenge, there are harder classes ie. butts and gutts, boot camp offered. but most of those are after work because you get hot and sweaty!

krampus
04-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Neither. I'm the sole culprit to blame when food-related things go great or awfully at work.

But here are some hurdles and helpers...

HELPERS:
-No one pushes food or snacks. Communal treats and sweets are available for grabs occasionally but no one tries to force me to eat them.
-Almost all my female coworkers are very thin, moderate eaters.
-I live about 2 1/2 miles from work at the other end of a very big hill, so some exercise is built into my days.

HURDLES:
-I have loooooooooong periods of down time at work. I'm talking whole days where there is nothing to do. Makes boredom-eating and grazing on junk food possible.
-The aforementioned communal treats are near my desk.
-The job itself (teaching, office work) is sedentary.

missheidi87
04-04-2011, 12:25 AM
I see mine as both. I work mostly in the office, and since we've been super busy, I usually just pack a healthy lunch and take it with me. When we're not so busy, or when I have to run to the courthouse to file petitions...not so much. I pass every fast food place in town! Eh.

irishlad
05-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Mine is both too, because its an office job, I can eat at the correct times and stick to my routine, and eat only what I pack for lunch. The downside is its an office job so no exercise in work everyday, but I make up for that by going to gym before work and soccer after work a few evenings a week.

claire0412
05-31-2011, 08:39 AM
My job really helps my diet. I'm an English teacher in a primary school and I'm always on my feet, running from class to class, to the copy machine etc. Plus, it is 6km away from my flat and I ride my bike there and back every day. If I worked in an office, I would have way more to lose than I do now!

RachaelJ
05-31-2011, 09:22 AM
I work in a hosptial but in an office setting. I'm mostly sitting all day. There's always communal eating so it's a challenge when I'm trying to eat healthy or avoid sweets. So in a way it's a hinderance. But the perk/motivation is that my office is right near the Diabetes Center. This is a big wake up call and to see these people makes me realize that 1. I'm at risk to develop it and 2. I want to avoid it at all costs.

TamTam
05-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Hello. This is a great question! Mine helps and hinders at the same time!
Helps=Hubby and I own 3 retail stores, we are in a different one just about every day, when we work we bring our food to work, that way there is less chance of over eating because you only have your day's "allotment" of food.

Hinders=We eat one cup of food just about every three hours, when the store gets busy you may not get to eat when you are hungry so you can get too hungry.

A plus is that there are no vending machines, if you want something you have to leave the store and we rarely do that, also, our employees bring their own food so we don't have a break area full of goodies.

mypinkpolkadot
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
My job sucks. I feel like finding time to go to the gym is hard. I either have to go early in the morning. Or after work, after i've been on my feet all day.

also the girls i work with eat out ALOT. ive been trying to bring my lunch tho, that helps..

Teresa66
05-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Currently I work at Starbucks where I can consume as much as I want to drink and pretty much eat all I want. There are always samples of pastries on the counter, and since I run the bar, a latte is never far away. That is the downside.

The up side is that several of us have just joined forces by means of a nice friendly competition we call "Food Wars" and there is some serious cash on the line for the winner. I have every intention of winning because I am getting married in October and there will be a photographer to capture every bulge and wrinkle I have.

I am a little worried with all the talk from those who work in an office. I'm taking courses to be an administrative medical assistant, and I hope to not gain back the weight I'm currently working so hard to lose.

TamTam
05-31-2011, 04:33 PM
My job sucks. I feel like finding time to go to the gym is hard. I either have to go early in the morning. Or after work, after i've been on my feet all day.

also the girls i work with eat out ALOT. ive been trying to bring my lunch tho, that helps..

I am sorry you job is not enjoyable, we get up at 4:30 to go walk, the gym is too expensive for hubby and I. We are at work for 9 hours and driving back home is anywhere's from 5 minutes to 1 hour depending which store we are working in. I have to exercise in the morning, there is no energy left for it after work. I understand that it can be hard going with the co workers eating out a lot, if you go with them I would suggest ordering an appetizer or ordering and eating only half the meal and saving the other half for later. Hope it gets better for you. God Bless.

SuaSponte
05-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Mine actually helps my diet.

I just started a new job for the summer (I'm in my 2nd year of a 3 year program) and I find that it really helps me set a schedule. Being a student is so bad on the waistline - I'll pretty much find any excuse to grab a snack, because of course I NEED the brain food! (eye roll - I don't think Cheetos really count as brain food)

But here, I know that I can survive between meals - especially with a nice hot thermos of coffee keeping me company all day (Nissan thermos - get one if you don't have one! It will save you sooo much money). And I don't bring snacks to work, I don't feel like walking around to find one, or spending money on any. So I cut down a huge amount of snacking.

However, because I have to wake up early, my exercising routine had to change. Before, I was getting up early, having coffee, going for a run around 9-10, then studying for the day. Now, I have to get up early still, but I can't do the late run like I like to do. So I've started 30 Day Shred. I think that's really the key - if something gets you stuck, rearrange! I don't HAVE to run in particular, I just have to keep moving!

Best of luck to you all. We can do it!

GuardDawg
06-20-2011, 03:50 AM
hinder:::: i work at Papa John's Pizza. we get hungry, we make crew pies. i work with a bunch of big hungry guys. we like meat and cheese! if i didnt get a chance to eat at home before work i will limit myself to one slice (usually a fully loaded meat and cheese covered creation) which i would guess at about 370-400 cals (im a CC). i usually go through a liter of water in a four hour shift and the only dr pepper i have each day is consumed at work.

the problem with working in food is that it is always there to tempt you. i can make whatever i want whenever i want. its hard to resist all the time and i usually work during dinner hours 4-10 or 6pm-12/1am.

KrazyKitten
06-20-2011, 04:02 AM
My job has only hindered my weight loss and has really been a huge contributing factor in the weight gain in the first place. I work as a projectionist in a small-town cinema. Unless we get a big movie that everyone wants to see (which is quite rare), it's very normal to only have a handful of patrons each show. And I'm the only employee working for the greater part of my shifts. So boredom is an every-day thing. There is only so much a girl can clean! I eat when I'm bored, it's my biggest downfall. Also, the my shifts are either 3 - 6 (which is the easy one!) but sometimes it's 3 - 11 or midnight with no break. There is no fridge, so it's hard to bring food. I can order a pizza and get it delivered, which doesn't help one bit. Or I can snack on popcorn and pop (which is free for employees) or I can buy a candy (discounted).

1. Extreme boredom and lots of sitting
2. Surrounded by all unhealthy choices, no healthy ones
3. Difficult to bring healthy food

All make for bad health choices!!

KrazyKitten
06-20-2011, 04:07 AM
I also waitress at a local restaraunt. Scheduling time to eat is hard and we don't get breaks, because it's not a full 8hr shift. I can't tell someone, "Sorry, I can't wait on you right now. I have to eat my healthy meal." Also, the food is always there, and we get one free meal per shift. It's primarily a pasta place... Not the healthiest choices. So that's tempting.

One plus, I have to stay moving and stay busy!

Mishflynn
06-20-2011, 04:25 AM
great examples about how "life" gets in the way of our diets! just grab hold of the helping bits girls & shut your eyes to the temptations! Be fabulous!