Other Reduced Carb Diets - anyone doing Tim Ferriss' 4 hr body

melvallilly
03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi there I'm. New so bear with me... anyone doing the 4 hr body diet. I started it almost a week and a half ago. I haven't lost and lbs on the scale, but I have went down 3% body fat since last Friday... I think I could lose more lbs. And inches if I could get off my lazy butt and get back to my Jillian Michaels workout... any thoughts???:smug:

jojotheyoyo
04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi there I'm. New so bear with me... anyone doing the 4 hr body diet. I started it almost a week and a half ago. I haven't lost and lbs on the scale, but I have went down 3% body fat since last Friday... I think I could lose more lbs. And inches if I could get off my lazy butt and get back to my Jillian Michaels workout... any thoughts???:smug:

Yes, 3 of us (other 2 are not on 3FC) started it 2 weeks ago. I had been on Diet Center for 2 months and lost 8 pounds, then got stuck!
This diet knocked off 1 pound the following day. At the end of the week, I had my first binge day. What fun! I really plunged in and fulfilled my wildest dreams.
I am losing inches EVERYWHERE; since inches were my biggest issue; i am happy! Also, I have stopped feeling sluggish, slow moving, dull minded and starved. I am running around getting things done and, at night, I sleep fine. Also, stopped the awful afternoon nap after lunch...don't need it!:carrot:

Focused Lani
04-02-2011, 11:54 AM
A friend and I started two weeks ago, we've both lost about 10lbs. I love the way this diet makes me feel. I didn't realise how much sugar was affecting my moods an energy until I started the plan. If you're not losing as much as you like you can ask the folk at 4HBtalk.com for advice.

Ruthxxx
04-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Aw shucks! :blush: I didn't do a darned thing. You Goldens really are golden.

LLBoldAsLove87
04-02-2011, 12:47 PM
My ex boyfriend followed 4 hour body religiously, and he looks amazing. He went from 220lbs to 185 (he is 6'1'')... now he is up to 200lbs but the extra weight was all muscle gain.

PicklesThePirate
04-10-2011, 10:44 PM
My boyfriend and I are following it. He lost five pounds in 5 days (he started this past Monday). I can tell I've lost weight, too, but I haven't weighed since my starting day (stupid TOM). I love this diet, though. It's so easy to follow, since it has the cheat day (and I go CRAZY on cheat day). =D

slowrunner
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I've only just gotten my hands on the book today (I live overseas and it was on backorder for weeks! Grrr!), and am just getting into it. I'm glad there are others who are trying it out at the same time. Any advice from those of you who've already gotten started?

PicklesThePirate
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
The only advice I can think of off the top of my head is to measure before you start. Since this diet is designed to make you lose inches instead of just weight (i.e. not muscle), it can be too easy to get discouraged if you aren't seeing a huge dip on the scale, even though you are losing inches.

slowrunner
04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, PicklesThePirate. Reading the book makes me wish I'd gotten some measurements a month ago, and now that I'm seeing inches coming off (from my current exercise/eating habits), I really want to start keeping track.

Not sure if I'll do the Slow-Carb diet right off though, as I have a bit of an aversion to diets and my main focus right now is exercise, so I might jump right into the strength stuff to start.

Good luck to all of you!

patootie
05-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I've just started the diet and feel great on it. Slowrunner, since you're adverse to dieting have you thought about doing incremental diet changes? Perhaps add more beans to your diet or up your veggie intake, that way when you're ready to go whole hog it might not feel like you're on much of a diet since you've already begun to transition.

celrae
05-08-2011, 11:11 AM
PicklesThePirate- I had no loss and a little gain during my TOM on this diet.

I am 3 weeks in following slow carb and walking with stairs for exercise. The biggest difference I have seen is improvement in mood and energy. I am using the scale (such a pain and easy to get discourage), measurements would be best. However, several days into diet I did get my weight/body fat measured by a BodPod. I am looking forward to May 31st to see the results from 2nd test. My BodPod goal is to loose 10 pounds of fat and gain 2 pound muscle, for a net loss of 8 pounds. I will continue until the end of May with this diet then reevaluate if it is a long term solution for me, have also considered Paleo.

Traditional Scale
April 18th 252.5
May 1st - 245.8
May 8th - 243.2

= 9.3 pounds lost in 3 weeks:carrot:

slowrunner
05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
patootie: (Sorry for taking so long - I was out of the country!) I definitely have been getting more proteins and vegetables in, though it's the carbs that will be hard for me to give up. I start every morning with a big bowl of cereal with flax added, and I feel really healthy on it, so I'm wary of making that big change for breakfast. I think what I want to do eventually is just finish all the cereals I have in the house (I have several boxes left!), then just go full-force with more high-protein breakfasts when I run out. If I can stick with it for at least a couple of weeks to start, I'll know I can handle it!

celrae: Great job so far! Hope your May 31st sees great results!

celrae
05-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I am having week 5 fatigue. The rules of the plan are easy but, life has gotten in the way. I am eating well, exercising, very focused but, not completely on track. If evaluating I would give myself a B. Bread and sweets are fine to give up. Lots of cooking has become hard at times. Regarding dairy I use Greek yogurt and not cottage cheese. Volume of wine is more than recommended at times.

Start: 255.5
Today: 240.6
Low: 237.5

Just getting back from hectic a trip and my routine has been challenged. Also, still on TOM. Looking forward to the numbers on May 31st. I will still meet my goal but, they may not be huge. I have cleaned up my eating drastically and do feel better.

I wish you all the best. Hope to start a more active thread.
Cheers:hug:

Kritter
06-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm glad I found people on here doing this program! I was at Target yetserday and was fully content on buying the Clean Diet Recharged. I have been going back and forth between eating a clean diet and a lower carb one. I happened to glance to the other side of the aisle and saw this book. I had seen reviews on some websites and some people on here had mentioned it. I looked at it quickly and thought "what the ****!" I love reading up on the latest news and nutrition and could start a library with all the books and magazines I have. I just love the science behind it all.

Anyways... I read the slow carb section last night and I'm going to give it a go startin this morning. I know I do better on a reduced carb diet but sometimes they are too restrictive and screw me up with mood and how I feel. This program looks manageable and yeah its going to be tough since I live with carbaholics. But I'm really sick of having this extra fat on me. I workout a lot and nothing to show for it. So frustrating. So now I'm going to try what Tim suggests and see what happens!

sorry for the blabbing... ;)

patootie
06-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi guys sorry I've been gone for a while.

I've noticed that I'm having a hard time eating 30g of protein within one hour of waking. I used to never eat breakfast and now I'll often find myself spending over an hour to scarf down a bowl of veggies, beans and eggs. I'm thinking I might need to switch it up. What are some of your favorite breakfasts?

Celrae - I suffered a week 4 slump, so I definitely understand where you are coming from. Oddly enough I had my biggest weight loss since week one even though I'd occasionally have a piece of cheese or a tablespoon of peanut butter. Since last week I've been on plan without any little cheats (except for cheat day of course). Next week is my birthday and I'm hoping I can stay on plan at least as well as week 4.

Kritter - (Most days) I find the simplicity of the slow carb diet along with the cheat day to be really effective for keeping me sane. Whenever I do have cravings I just eat something SCD or I drink some water until the craving passes. Some people recommend writing down your cravings throughout the week to get them off your mind. If you are exercising a lot you might want to read a few of Tim's chapters on exercise. I know he modifies the diet a little (like you're allowed to have carbs after an intense workout) to facilitate your body.

celrae
06-05-2011, 01:04 PM
patootie & Kritter- Thanks for the post! I have not managed the 30 grams of protein yet, most days 2 eggs and a little extra from beans or a shake. I need to work on that this week and I will post my ideas. Also, I am going to add kettle bells to my workout this week.

Start: 252.5
Today: 240.6
Low: 237.5

Today 234.1

Like Tim I highly suggest BodPod assessment, here are my results in 5 weeks.
Percent Body Fat: 48% now 44.5%
increased lean mass by 3 pounds
decreased fat by 13.2 pounds

Kritter
06-06-2011, 11:17 AM
patootie~ Thanks for the reminder about the exercise. I haven't read the section on exercise yet. Getting there hopefully tonight. I can't put the book down. I will say I did not do good this weekend. I was away and ate pizza and drank beer. I am back on track today though.

celrae~ I love to cook but sometimes I just don't have the time or patience since everyone I live with eats differently. I have been ordering out more which seems to help. I know it can be more expensive but for me it keeps me on track better. Do you have any favorite quick recipes?

As far as breakfast's go I was doing something similar to what he recommends. I was eating eggs and veggies with cheese. Now I have eggs with salsa if I'm in a hurry but if I'm not in the mood to eat eggs or eat really anything I make a protein shake with either water or soy milk. I know he says no soy product but it doesn't seem to affect me. I found one from trader joe's that has 3 carbs 1 fiber no sugar and 7 grams of protein per cup. So I use the jay robb protein powder (25g protein per scoop and uses stevia for sweetner) and a cup of soy milk to make the 30 grams. Some days I just can't stomach eggs. I love them but if i have them too often I want to gag!

I love this diet so far. Much easier than straight low carb. I love beans and wasn't adding them before. I don't eat them at every meal but at least one meal.

Also I will be cutting back on the exercise since I clean houses for a living I'm constantly moving. Lifting will be easy to manage but what I was doing before was too much and I was wiped out.

Question... do you ladies ever get worried about taking the cheat day? It kind of scares me a little. I'm afraid I will want to keep going the next day. Also do you do the recommended exercises on that day and the supplementation?

P.S. keep up the good work! This is no easy task!

patootie
06-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah I've been debating about getting a protein shake mix, but I think I will now. Some days I just don't want to (or have the time to) eat breakfast so I think this may be a good solution.

Initially I was nervous about cheat day, but continue to lose even with it. The odd (and good) thing is that your body gets used to eating healthier, so when cheat day comes around you may notice that you actually don't want nonplan foods as much as you once did. A lot of people also feel sluggish and almost hungover after a cheat day where they truly went wild. So I think that like most aspects of their diet, a cheat day can be whatever you make of it. If you only want to do a cheat meal or two then go for it. I'm still enjoying them so I'll probably keep with a full day, but in the future when I get closer to my goal weight I foresee myself keeping it down to a couple of meals throughout the day.

I haven't done the supplementing or exercises he writes about in the book. I'm going to my doctor in a few weeks and I'm hoping she might have some advice on supplements for me. So without exercise or supplements and with occasional (non cheat day) cheats I've lost 14lbs in 4 weeks. Not bad :)

Kritter
06-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow thats awesome! Keep up the good work! :bravo: I couldn't do without the protein shakes. Its tough eating eggs every morning. I love mexican and I love huevos rancheros if I have the time to get them. I also love black beans which is the best part of this program. I made some tonight with garlic, onion, green chillies and cilantro. I also had a grilled burger and salad. really quite a good meal. I know in the book he mentions that breakfast can be the hardest to change and I find that absolutely true.

In the book he says its not necessary to exercise but I wonder if strength training is. I will be reading more tonight so maybe I will answer my own questions. :)

I have always struggled with the last 20-30 pounds so I'm hoping this will help me lose as long as I put in the work. I have two wedding I'm in this fall so its good motivation. Especially since one of the weddings is my sisters! Have to look good in the pictures!

celrae
06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey more high protein meal ideas soon but, I made a coffee shake this morning that was incredible. Added 2 eggs and I was at 29 grams of protein.

:coffee:Coffee Shake 17 grams of Protein
1 C. Cold Coffee (strong)
1 C. Ice
2 scoops whey protein from Trader Joe's (I did not like the one at Whole Foods)
1 packet of Stevia (optional)
2 T. Half and Half

Use a blender to mix together and serve.

celrae
06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
The cheat day has not effected my loss. I do not eat tons of bad food that day because, it simple does not sound good to me any more. The cheat day is helpful because I can schedule time with friends and not think about good vs. bad food. My list often includes chocolate croissants from a local bakery (simply the best), more wine, and pizza. I have found many convince items just are not good so I more pick where my cheat food comes from.

I also, like using a Probiotic and digestive enzyme combination to combat constipation. Other than that I am not big on the supplements.

Kritter
06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Ok did good until someone brought home pizza! WTF?!?! I had 2 slices because I didn't want to cook. I know so lame! I'm pretty pist about it. Its not the end of the world though. I will be back on track for this week and my cheat day will be pretty much nonexistent. I guess its like they say "take it day by day."

I'm glad to hear the cheat days do not interfere with your weight loss. Makes me feel better. Its also encouraging to hear that you don't want to go hog wild on the cheat days. I noticed today with the pizza I had way more self control than I usually do with pizza. Its usually ends up where I'm in a carb coma after a pizza pig out! :dizzy:

I have looked over the exercise plan that "kiwi" has and it looks pretty good. Mostly because I've had good success with plans like this. I was working out way too much before so this is nice to do just 2-3 days a week along with maybe some light running or walking.

Only concern is those damn kettlebells are so expensive. Might have to try the home made version he suggests.

celrae
06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Do you have any free weights at home? My husband made an adjustable kettlebell with his weights.

Kritter
06-10-2011, 10:39 PM
I do. I just went to Home Depot and constructed the "kettlebell" that he suggests in the book. Only problem I had was the one inch grip clamp did not fit it was too small. The only other size they sell is an olympic size and that is huge. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. I'm going to try the workout today. I played golf today so that was enough for one day.

Since I had a few slip ups this week I've decided to not take a formal cheat day and continue to follow the plan. Next week seems so far away! :( Although I do feel better since eating this way and I am able to maintain my energy unlike a traditional LC diet. I got my bridesmaid dress in today (one or two) and it was a little big up top and fit more comfortably which it didn't when I tried it on a few weeks ago. I guess thats a good start right?!

I will let you know how the workout goes. Do you ever go on his blog by chance?

celrae
06-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I have not followed the plan perfectly. I eat Greek yogurt, a little more wine, and I just found out that the Whey Protein I use is not SCD compatible. What I am saying is that I would not be too hard on yourself. Do a moderate cheat day and look to making more meals at home next week, that should help.

Inches do count, that is great news! My pounds lost seem to be slowing, several weeks of stress and not enough strength training. But, I do think that I am getting smaller. I was able to buy size 16 Capri pants this week.

I would like to track my eating so that I knew calories, protein, fat, and carb., distribution but, it seem like too much work.

patootie
06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Celrae - How did your hubby construct a kettlebell with his free weights? I'd love to try out the kettlebells, but they are so expensive. I've heard other people say the DIY T-bar kettlebell is a little too awkward to use with good form.

I've started having whey protein in the morning and I'm enjoying it. I'm using Designer Whey (it had less sugar and carbs than TJ's whey) with some almond milk. What type of protein are you thinking of switching to?

I gained a pound last week :( which I blame on my having 2 cheat days for my birthday (how can you turn down homemade chocolate cake and beer?). Hopefully this week I'll see the scale move down some more.

Me1stAllways
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi All!
I just joined this site today and am on the 4 hour body as well.
I started the 4 hour body june 8th at 232 and today the 14th am at 225:carrot:

Im am seriously loyal to the plan.

Kritter
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
celrae: you are right. I just have to do the best I possibly can. I also need to get more focused with the weight training. And if you can feel your getting smaller than you must be losing inches. I always feel the inches before the weight on the scale. So did you go down a size?

patootie: I made a "kettlebell" from the description he gives in the book. I went to home depot and bought the piping from the plumbing section. The guy helping me thought I was crazy! He kept asking "is this for irrigation?" I had to explain I was making a home made exercise device. He looked at me like I was completely insane. So great! The only thing I had trouble with was finding the 1" clamp. The ones for barbells don't fit. I just use it without it. Seems fine. I do notice my form could be better. I think I will workout in the basement so if it lets go at least it will only hit a wall not the tv! If I see results with it I might breakdown and buy one. They sell them at Walmart for the best prices I could find.

Me1stAllways Welcome! And Congrats on the success! That's great to hear you are doing so well! Keep up the good work! Are you doing the workouts too?

patootie
06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome Me1stAllways! I'm glad you're having such great success on this diet. Any favorite recipes yet?

Me1stAllways
06-15-2011, 11:46 AM
ty all. laptops down so Im on my ps3 lol plz ignor spelling an short hand :) Fav rec ? well i basically live off of myoplex shakes and protine shots w a few pickles and salad w eggs...but i did make meatballs (beef/sausage/ ground mushroom,eggplant,garlic,onion,pepper and 1 egg: mix, fru in macadamia oil (near impossible to find) than cook in organic from scratch sauce) but that and most food is held off till my carb load day once a week. I try an keep my head in "food is only fuel 4 the body" mode/ my new montra lol. I do also do the 4core excersizes daily and Px90 streatches every other day. I watch on ps3 at fast mode 1.5 cuz he annoys me when he talks, hes to slow between streatches and the whole is 1hourt (silly) the days i dont streatch i do 10min pilates THAT I LOVE and can c a uhge diff allready.

Me1stAllways
06-15-2011, 12:03 PM
oh yea... and when i crave something crunchy: i found dehydrated veggies at market basket that have zero sugar zero cabs ect...my fav is the green beans...very wierd i know, yet strangly yumm. have been thinking of getting my own dehydrater and experimenting w other veggys but im pretty sure it would just end up under my cabenit with the other lost kitchen toys :))

celrae
06-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Ok- I love that this thread is going.

The kettelbell was constructed from fee weights and was simple. I will have my husband explain another time. It seems to work just fine for our use.

I have been reading and listening to a lot of diet information lately paleo diet and why we get fat. I am learning that a diet of meat, fish, and vegetables, is best. I am not 100% but, it is so much healthier than what I was doing before. I am on the Biggest Loser Red team and I have been logging my food intake for 2 weeks now and it has been helpful to see where I can improve.

I was having trouble motivating myself to do the strength training so I began a CrossFit class this week. It is at 5:30am twice a week. I am also walking 20 miles a week to keep moving. This does not burn a lot of calories but, is key to health.

Having these changes stick is my goal. I will be fine with less weight loss if I am clearly healthier. I do think the choices I am making are going to be good for me in the long term. I highly recommend doing BodPod testing or a least track your inches lost.

Me1stAllways
06-16-2011, 02:03 PM
down another pound....223! so far im lossing about a pound a day. yesterday was sooo busy I couldnt squeez in any work outs or streaches (if I wanted to sleep that is lol) i chose sleep :) start 6/8/2011 @ 232lbs 1 :sunny: for every five lbs lost = :sunny:

Me1stAllways
06-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Its my cheat day baby! and let me tell you, some of the dreams I had about food lastnight would put candyland to shame :devil: yae yea start with protine when wake...inhaled it, than jumped for grapes and slicced pears w/ cheese mmmm yummy cheese. Allready feel a lill off, like a lill bit sick. got a freezer chocolate cake to snack on and plan for sushi and papa ginos pizza later today. lol I have a food intinerary.:dizzy: i dare not weigh myself till Monday lol

patootie
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
So how much weight per week is everyone losing? I know there's one section in the book where he says that losing just 2lbs per week means you're probably not optimizing your potential on this diet, but I'm perfectly happy with my 2-3lb loss per week. The scale keeps moving down and I'm not unhappy at all on this diet. The only downside is that it has put a slight damper on my social life (going out tended to revolve around food and beer).

Sunshinenmysoul
08-07-2011, 01:57 AM
I just recently started this as well! I had already been doing Weight Watchers and lost about 35 lbs. I hit a major plateau and just wasn't moving anywhere!! My boss told me about this diet because she saw it on Dr. Oz, so me, her, and another guy from work have been doing it. Today is my cheat day!! This is my 3rd week and so far I've lost 5 lbs. in 3 weeks. I wouldn't say that CRAZY weight loss like he says you can see, but it's way better than what I was seeing before! It's gotten me past my plateau. I plan to follow it for a few more weeks and then incorporate parts of the 4 hour body into weight watchers! I'm eating SO many more veggies and that's one thing that I'll keep when I go back.

ChubbyCheeks
08-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Yay! other slow carbers!!

Sunshinenmysoul
08-07-2011, 02:04 AM
One thing that's really good I found is pickled asparagus. It's at Sam's. I know it might SOUND gross, but it's actually delicious! I can pack a serving of those in a ziploc and there's my veggie and it's so easy. No heating necessary. I feel like I'm doing a commercial......lol.

misstraveller
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Anyone out there?! I'm so glad there's a thread for this! I've been doing the diet for about three weeks and have consistently lost about 2 pounds per week. I love cheat day and plan it out in advance :) Tomorrow is my cheat day, I'm having FROYO with lots of yummy toppings :)

KawaiiCandie
08-29-2011, 11:14 PM
hi! i just bought this book recently and started the diet last week... honestly, i really like the concept, but it almost sounds too good to be true! i haven't had my first cheat day yet, and as much as i'm looking forward to it, it kinda scares me to death too! i've been counting calories for about a month and seeing basically NO result so i decided to switch to this... now i'm worried if i actually go and binge it'll make it worse... but seeing your successes encourages me.

do you guys do the exercises before and after on your binge days? and take the supplements? since i live abroad, a lot of the side stuff he talks about is unavailable for me, and i've just been focusing on eating lots of protein and veggies, no carbs and exercising a bit... hope this works for me!!!

bonbonj24
09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Hello 4 hour body buddies! I did this program at the begining of January 2010 and followed it for 2 months and lost 15 lbs. I am just now starting it again. I did not do any of the weights or supplements the first time. This time I am doing the weights and some running and other rehab for an ACL repair. In a few weeks I will start the supplements( I found them at Drug store . com) and the cold therapy. I love the food ideas, pickled asparagus...who would have thought?! Breakfast I usually have turkey bacon and tomato wrapped in lettuce with a little side of refried beans..the cilantro lime kind. :) Don't make yourself sick on the 30 grams of protien in the AM if your not used to it, just do the best you can! Looking forward to your stories and ideas!!

ddmbMom
10-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello!
I started this last Tuesday. So I was on it Tuesday-Friday and had my first cheat day Saturday. Lost 5.5 pounds as of Sat morning. Then had a glorious cheat day and only gained .5. The book says you might gain up to 7! I expected a big gain. I feel great so far and look forward to next Saturday. Today made a big pot of lentils and chicken soup to have throughout the week. The only thing I have not been doing right is I have only been having eggs for breakfast -- no vegs or beans. :o Stocked up today and so I should be good to go for tomorrow. I had not time to shop all week last week!

Anyway, good to luck to my fellow four-hour buddies. :carrot:

Allura Beatu
11-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes, 3 of us (other 2 are not on 3FC) started it 2 weeks ago. I had been on Diet Center for 2 months and lost 8 pounds, then got stuck!
This diet knocked off 1 pound the following day. At the end of the week, I had my first binge day. What fun! I really plunged in and fulfilled my wildest dreams.
I am losing inches EVERYWHERE; since inches were my biggest issue; i am happy! Also, I have stopped feeling sluggish, slow moving, dull minded and starved. I am running around getting things done and, at night, I sleep fine. Also, stopped the awful afternoon nap after lunch...don't need it!:carrot:

What was your beginning date when you started with TF's diet?

Allura Beatu
11-08-2011, 12:43 PM

What was your beginning date when you started with TF's diet?

magsabags
05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone is still doing this diet? I plan on starting tomorrow and would love to hear from others how it went. I think the cheat day won't work for me - I tried this diet last year and continually turned a cheat day into a 3 day binge. Anyway, any advice you guys could give would be great!

Veela
05-31-2012, 01:47 AM
No one seems to have posted here in a while but I was wondering if anyone is still following this diet plan. I am interested in trying it out but a little concerned about breakfast and the no fruit rule. Is there anyone who is having success and eating a small amount of fruit (I have 2-3 servings a day mainly berries and apples).

My main concern for breakfasts is that I am not a huge fan of eggs and can't have most protein supplements because they contain sweeteners. So what do you eat for breakfast?

Sheila53
06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I eat turkey burgers and salmon burgers that I get from Costco. Hopefully you have an equivalent store. I usually have beans and kale or spinach (I have a recipe), too, or lentils. I do like eggs so I often have an egg on top, but it's not necessary. You can have leftovers from dinner--whatever gives you the big protein boost in the morning.

DeterminedLisa
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I've recently re-started the 4HB diet, last Thursday. It's hard to give up carbs and I feel restless after meals, and unproductive/lazy. From experience I know that it'll get better. I'm on my 6th day. Very eager for Saturday.

--DeterminedLisa

DeterminedLisa
12-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Hello Miss Pixie,
Sounds like you've been very on-plan. Way to go.

When you get the supplements and try them out, I'll be interested to hear whether you feel they're noticeably helping you.

I have concerns about the cheat day extreme that the plan recommends - for so many reasons, and I'm right there with you about not going crazy.
The one thing I think is good about the cheat day is that it gives you repeated practice returning to low-carb eating, immediately after falling off the wagon. In that sense, it's a controlled form of falling off the wagon, where you practice getting back on, until it becomes a routine skill.

DeterminedLisa

sorrybucky
03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone

I wanted to try this plan because it lets you have beans and wine.
I had trouble with most low carb plans because of the restrictions on beans and fruit generally. I know you still can't have fruit and that will be tough for me. When I eat mexican dishes that just include beans meat and veggies I'm full for hours afterwards. That's why I'm hoping I can make this plan work for me.

I need to do something I'm a total sugar and white flour addict. I've modified the plan to start by eating a high fiber cereal with almond milk and berries. I also eat eggs in the morning if I have time. I can see from the posts that most people struggle with breakfast. I don't cook much so its going to take me a bit to get up to speed on this diet.

I've been easing into this diet since last week I can already see my cravings for crackers, cookies and candy dissipating. I haven't been restrictive enough to incorporate a cheat day yet.

I'm so glad to see posts for this diet. I was hoping I could find a buddy to join me on this plan.

DeterminedLisa
03-20-2013, 04:15 AM
Hello Bucky,

Welcome and good luck with the 4HB plan.
If you can get used to having lunch/dinner leftovers for breakfast, it'll be more convenient. A lot of the human race eats nearly the same cuisine for breakfast as they do for lunch or dinner, so it's only weird if we feel it's weird.

DeterminedLisa

sorrybucky
03-21-2013, 02:56 AM
Thank you for the point about lunch and diner foods. Its still hard to get used to. I was thinking of trying fish cakes that someone had mentioned previously.
That might help me avoid overdosing on eggs. Someone also suggested a tomato cucumber salad for breakfast with oil and vinegar.

I'm still eating too many carbs but I'll get there.

Mii
04-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I read the book a while ago and experimented with it VERY briefly.

Now I'm looking to get my hands on it again (or at least look up the guidelines).

The only thing that threw me off the first time was the PAGG stack; garlic made me nauseous (threw up) and the green tea extract made me jittery / sick. ALA ripped my stomach up and I felt intense pain! Also the supps were quite pricey - I know select GNCs sell the stack for something like $60!

Anyways, looking for the right weight for kettle bell swings - I've been playing around w/ low carb (salads, kale+egg omelettes, beans and water) and want to get more serious (cut out carb cheating / protein bars).

Will try salmon burgers in the AM w/o eggs.

DeterminedLisa
04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Hello Mii,
I have always skipped most of the PAGG stack because I can't handle the caffeine or the garlic. De-odorized garlic is false advertising. I never had stomach trouble with the ALA so that's one of the ones I kept up.

What matters most to me is setting a daily routine for when I consume carbs. If I eat some extra carbs one day, I crave them more on the next day at the same time that I ate the before. For about a year I was totally free of evening snacks and evening cravings. Unfortunately it didn't last forever and I'm back to struggling after dinner.

I hope it goes really well (and I hope you discover great insights to share with others).