Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #1  

Default Picked up the Books yesterday

I bought both the workbook and the book Beck Diet Solutions. I brought them home last night and started reading. I am up to the daily assignments this morning.

I am not sure I really need both books, I may give one away. They seem to be the same book. Is it helpful to have both?

Hopefully this will help. I know what to do to lose weight. I just need to change my attitude to it. or something, I don't know, I just know that something isn't working and it's me.

I do weight watchers and lost 56 lbs. but then I have been losing less than a lb a month for over a year now. I need to lose 50 lbs more and I need to do this without it taking the next 20 years. I lost all my weight with small loses .6 but now I lose .2 over a month.
angelskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

angelskiss - Congrats on those 56 pounds gone forever.

My experience is that one or the other is enough, although I write this without ever having owned the Work Book. We have one poster on the monthly thread that uses the Work Book exclusively and is happy. On the other hand, she's never owned the Pink Book.

I think you're spot on that the Beck strategies can help "change my attitude." Consider joining us on the monthly thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...ddy-coach.html where we act as Diet Buddy/Coach to each other. A new thread starts each month, so the April thread will start tomorrow.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Despite not regularly posting in the Beck forum (I just can't make a commitment to post regularly anywhere!) I am a Beck believer and credit her ideas and tools for the majority of my weight loss success.

A lot of people struggle with the why of their weight problems, but I have learned that the asking myself the why question wasn't helping me lose any weight. What I needed were techniques to use every day that would help me reevaluate my relationship with food. Beck gave me that. I use those techniques all the time now. It's mostly unconscious at this point, but I still need the occasional refresher.

You can do this!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #4  

Exactly it isn't about the why for me. I don't have any deep emotional reason to food. I just need to learn how to mentally get myself in the game and stop giving in to every craving or idea.

Thanks for the info and the welcome.

I put the second book away to either give to a friend or my mother.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #5  

I'm new at it, too. I just picked up the books from the library yesterday and will purchase them if I decide it's working for me.

I am going to start the "first day" assignments today -

Kris
grayhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/149/135

Height: 5'7"

I bought the pink book and then picked up the green book at the library. I am pretty glad I didn't shell out money for both because as far as I can tell, they are the exact same book, in slightly different formats. Even down to identical clauses/phrases from one book to the other.

I'm totally sold on the concept and methods (I've always been a believer in CBT) but I have to admit it irks me that she's selling the same book twice.

I haven't completed either book yet, so perhaps at some point they radically diverge, but right now it just seems to me like Beck is milking the cash cow a bit.
chinakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

AnnWonders did a review of the two books, noting the differences. The most obvious one is that the green book added the recipes for a food plan.

Here's a link to the links to her reviews

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...k-reviews.html
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #8  

I had the pink book and the workbook. I sold the workbook because as far as I could tell after reading half of it the books were the same.