Weight Loss Support - What foods are and aren't worth it anymore?

JenMusic
03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
A friend I haven't seen in a long while was in town, and we met up for dinner. It was a local place, and I had grilled fish and veggies, on plan.

I went to the bathroom after dinner, and when I came back to the table Craig had gotten 6 cookies (the Otis Spunkmeyer kind). He told me he got them for us, and I could have whatever I wanted. He's not a food pusher, he was just being his normal, sweet self.

Well, I thought about it. The white chocolate/macadamia kind and the oatmeal raisin were easy to resist, as I've never liked them. But there were 2 chocolate chip cookies, and Otis Spunkmeyer and I have had a relationship that stretches back to high school. :) I knew my calorie count for the day, and I had the calorie room for sure, so I went ahead and had a cookie.

It was NOT worth the 180 cals. It was OK, of course, but it wasn't anything special. I would much rather have had 180 cals of strawberries and dark chocolate, or a good piece of bread with jam. So Otis Spunkmeyer cookies are off the list now - not worth it.

On the other hand, I will ALWAYS make room for my mom's magic cookie bars (some people call them 7 layer bars - the graham crust/chocolate chip/butterscotch/coconut pieces of heaven). Thank goodness she only makes them at Christmas, or I would be in serious trouble with those. Every time I have one they are just as good as I remember, if not better!

So, what foods have you decided are and aren't worth it for you?

Andrbeck
03-31-2011, 09:28 AM
1. You make me hungry!
2. Before I decided to REALLY get in control of my weight I bought a ton of girl scout cookies.. Thin Mints.. and They're still in my freezer staring at me. I think they are not worth it all the time. Sometimes I reqard myself with 1 or 2.. but for the most part.. I know I will feel better after some carrots or any apple. I think one thing that I can never give up is Dr. Pepper. I LOVE fountain drinks.. and I know they're empty calories but I ALWAYS leave room for them in my week. I try not to drink them daily anymore. But at least 2 days a week I reward myself if I have had a good weigh in.

Princess of the KING
03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Cake. Don't get me wrong I love a piece of chocolate cake but It just isn't worth it to eat a 300 calorie piece of cake when I can a whole meal with that!
French Fries- You eat them and then just want more. I again can eat a whole meal with how many fries I would eat haha

ShanIAm
03-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Since I have chosen the low calorie / low carb road, I am going to say PASTA! A big bowl of spaghetti just doesn't do it for me anymore. And back in December I could have easily gone through 2-3 pounds in a week -- with meatballs. Pizza is on my list too along with beer and soda. (I'm thankful football season is over!)

Congrats on saying no to the cookies! :-)

shannonmb
03-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Haha, that's so funny about the magic cookie bars, because when I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that popped into my head was "My aunt's 7 layer bars that she makes only at Christmas time!" hahahaha That qualifies for me, for sure!

I love this thread, because I have really started making that distinction. I went out to dinner for my sister's birthday last week, and they wanted ice cream from this new place in town called Jeni's. It was expensive, and the flavors were so gourmet and unique! You can get a 1/2 cup serving in 2 different flavors, so I had fig and goat cheese, and salty caramel with smoked almonds. Now THAT is ice cream. 1/2 cup of Jeni's ice cream on a special day IS worth it. Breyer's on any old day really isn't.

Work potluck -- NOT. Thanksgiving dinner -- YEP!

I love, absolutely LOVE food. Cooking it, smelling it, eating it. And this approach has really helped me to feel like I can lose weight, get/stay healthy, and still enjoy one of my passions. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

niafabo
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
not worth it anymore: orange cupcakes, lasagna, enchiladas, alfredo, french toast, pancakes, ice cream, bagels w/ cream cheese, muffins, frozen dinners, spaghetti, philly cheesesteak sandwich, sweetened tea, crackers, regular sausage.

still worth it: hamburgers, tacos, thin crust pizza, popcorn, nuts, turkey/tuna/chicken/ham sandwiches, frozen yogurt, peanut butter.

worth it on very rare occasions: pie, biscuits and gravy, cookies, beer, chocolate.

fatferretfanatic
03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
I definitely do not think that candy in general is worth it. It is too many cals for too little enjoyment. Ice cream sits on the fence-on some days it might be worth it, if it's special, but right now, heck no! Also, bread that is more than 50 or sixty cals a slice. Pastaries and junk food that doesn't fill you up-like chips or doughnuts are not worth it anymore. Basically anything that is calorically dense that doesn't fill me up isn't worth it!

krampus
03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Drinks with calories (soda, juice, Gatorade, vitamin water etc), muffins/pastries, mediocre/average desserts. I have a tendency to go nuts with sugar, so I don't like to open that can of worms unless it's something really awesome.

Serbrider
03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
The only thing for me that is still "worth it" is chocolate. Any chocolate (doesnt mean i go and stuff my face with it). So yeah. That or avocados. If I get told I need to give those up too... I'll shoot someone. ;)

Rana
03-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Drinks with calories, I agree. Also, any cookie/muffin/danish that's store bought/comes in a package. Homemade might be a different story. Regular blah pasta. I might eat some pasta if it's a really good Italian restaurant and I haven't had it in a while and I might be going biking later.

Burgers from any fast food joint? Not worth it. I'd rather have a good one, home made with sirloin or at a fine restaurant/burger joint.

I'll add bread to the list too. Unless it's home made or artisan, it's not worth it to me anymore.

Munchy
03-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Not worth it: Pretty much anything that isn't on my plan.

Worth it: Cocktails! :dizzy:

Txalupa
03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
sugary beverages and cocktails, white bread, candy, cereal, restaurant pizza

Still worth it: tacos, homemade pizza, mozzarella sticks, ranch dressing

berryblondeboys
03-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I married a mediterranean fella, so wine has always been a part of our nicer dinners. They are so not worth it. Plus, they taste metallic to me now, bleck! That's #1. #2 are all rice dishes, breads, and most potato dishes. Any pasta dish that isn't a high protein, fresh egg noodle type. And any candies or chocolates.

But, I will partake in family holiday things - I will have cakes on birthdays, a full thanksgiving meal (and following leftovers) and will enjoy holiday treats each year. That's part of my life and culture, so I will not give them up. Every other time of the year, fine.

It's very ironic I've given up simple carbs because I'm an amateur cake decorator and an artisan bread maker (make all our family's whole grain bread) and I'm a gourmet cook. I now make the bread and don't eat it and make the cakes and send them off. Fortunately, being a good cook has allowed me to adjust my meals to be low carb and still very tasty (basically giving up the carb part of the meal and leaving the veggies and protein on my plate).

Txalupa
03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
BerryBlonde, that's awesome! I love to make lower carb recipes that taste good as well. My favorite thing is to make my 'weird food' for my friends and have them either be surprised that they like it, or not know the difference!

icelandgirl90
03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Not worth it: Beer and high-calorie cocktails, breads, butter, oil in excess (hate when I order something healthy in a restaurant and it comes swimming in oil, I could just as well have ordered pizza!), pastries, any drinks that contain calories (aside from wine),

Worth it: Chocolate (only the really good, dark gourmet kind), wine, nuts, peanut-butter, real hummus, feta-cheese

I am a calorie-counter so I work into my plan the high-calorie things that are worth it! In moderation ofcourse;)

Emme
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Alcohol. I used to drink a white russian or a glass of wine every other night, and now that I am counting calories I just don't want to add them in. I'd rather eat something delicious!! Plus, the alcohol jacks up some people's weight loss anyway, so it's a win-win!

Mickeypnd
03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Not worth it-anything fast food, pizza, makes my tummy hurt.

worth it-a small sweet Reese cup. I know its like 80 calories for one, but they're so yummy.

saef
03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Worth it:
-The ethnic food that my family eats only at Easter and Thanksgiving, which would be kielbasa and pierogies.
- My own home-made, hand-kneaded whole wheat bread.
- Artisan-made cheese, in small quantities.

Not worth it:
- Anything sold at drugstores in the candy & "food" aisle.
- Anything on the menu at a chain restaurant or fast-food outlet.
- Anything sold in a vending machine.
- Anything eaten quickly while standing up in the office break room.
- Anything snagged from a candy dish at someone's desk or in someone's living room.
- Anything on display in the revolving glass case at a diner.
- Anything not made by someone I love, or by myself, working with very simple things, or by someone who loved making it & considers it an art as well as their livelihood.

LLBoldAsLove87
03-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Not Worth It: Pasta/Rice (I don't miss them at all!), potatoes, beer unless it is a NICE beer, ice cream (I like the low cal froyo just as much), chinese food, cookies, soda, bagels (bagel thins are worth it though), high sodium soups, chips, pizza, oatmeal, red meat (digestive problems), milk (same).

Worth It: Dark chocolate, peanut butter (no one can take this away from me! haha), gourmet gelato, sushi, pancakes, cereal.

... Obviously I have an easier time cutting out the savory/salty over the sweet! Haha.

stacygee
03-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Not worth it: potatoes, rice, noodles, bread, cake, cupcakes, fried foods

Worth it: I really really miss hamburgers and pizza and I do eat them every once in a while. I miss a taste of real hershey bar and reeses peanut butter cups. I do splurge with some beer drinking every now and then.

fresno26
03-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Not worth it: Alcohol, Jimmy John's, anything too fattening...since I can't justify working out for X amount of time because something tastes decent...you know? I'd rather stick to low-fat foods that I love, like vegetables and cereals and fruit and steel-cut oats. :)

Still worth it, occasionally: Pizza. Not sure I'll ever give up pizza. I do have two slices every couple of weeks or so....instead of 4-5. ;)

JohnP
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Foods that I used to regularly enjoy that I have given up almost completely are: alchohol - french fries - pizza - donuts - candy - hot dogs - ranch dressing.

StephInLA
03-31-2011, 05:04 PM
I can't do peanut butter or real/gourmet cheese anymore. Even though these two foods were my absolute favorites, they are too calorie dense and I struggle to contain myself after the first bite. I hate feeling like I need to use so much energy to control myself. Even if I stay in control, I feel out of control. If I ate one serving of brie, it would drive me crazy with desire for the rest of it. I'd rather not eat it at all than only have a tiny bit that whets my appetite for more.

Glory87
03-31-2011, 05:08 PM
For me, my lists are:

Not worth it - cold cereal, chips, crackers, pretzels, most baked goods (like in a Starbucks display case), sugary soda, terrifyingly high calorie restaurant foods (loaded nachos, alfredo sauce, Bloomin' onion), ordering a "large" size, caramel macchiatos, fast food

Worth it - peanut butter, nuts, home-made baked goods, whole grains, dark chocolate, splitting a dessert in a restaurant, glass of red wine, Christmas dinner, glass of eggnog at Christmas, tall skinny lattes, pumpkin butter, birthday cake on my birthday, small scoop of ice cream on a hot day

supergir111
03-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Not worth it: Drinking calories, nuts, most fruit, beef, oil/butter and things cooked in a lot of this, most cheese, pasta&rice, most dressings, crisps and alcohol for the most part

worth it: bread, dark chocolate, pizza, reduced cheese, noodles from lidl

gardenerjoy
03-31-2011, 06:20 PM
I have recently realized that I don't even like the taste of one potato chip. Now, if you could promise me that today I could eat anything I wanted with absolutely no ill effects (including cravings), the first thing I would do is go out and get a big bag of chips and dip. Apparently, some foods are about quantity for me. If I can only have a small serving, then I don't want any at all, thanks.

Donuts are also on my not worth it list, but a slightly different reason. Of all the things I stopped eating to lose the weight, that's the one that took the longest time to quit having cravings. I was still having cravings for months after the last one! I may choose to never eat another donut because who wants to go through that experience twice?

On the other hand, ice cream is on my worth it list, because it's the one kind of junky food that I seem to be happy to eat in small servings and doesn't trigger cravings. So that's a way I get a little of my old treating myself behavior without doing something that wrecks my weight loss effort. I don't have it in the house, however, unless it's homemade nonfat frozen yogurt.

gardenerjoy
03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
[deleted duplicate post]

NaturalStupidit
03-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Pop. If I must drink pop, I drink diet but it's just not worth the 140 calories a can.

FitGirlyGirl
03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Not worth it - Any beverage with more than 5 calories per 8 oz. (I LOVE my crystal light), fast food, most candy, chips and dips, cookies (oreos were my fav), doughnuts, alcohol, white bread or pasta, excessive oil, butter, mayo, alfredo (that one is hard for me), CiCis, cheap brownies by the pan full, cheap store bought muffins

Worth it - natural peanut butter, avocado, pesto, good cheese in small amounts, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, dates, a good homemade muffin

Occasionally worth it - birthday cake on my b-day, fudge made from my mother's recipe at Christmas, Thanksgiving dinner, cadbury eggs, good pizza, fried catfish, chinese buffet, a really good brownie, any truly special item such as a cookie from the first batch my niece ever made

Arctic Mama
03-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Steak, good pizza, snicker doodles from my favorite recipe - worth it. Bad pizza, fast food french fries, almost any storebought dessert? Not worth it!

lucyford
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Not worth it: Fast food burger joints. While Mc Donalds has always been gross to me, I did at one time enjoy a jalapeno burger with avocado from Carl's Junior/Hardees. Or, a cheeseburger from In n Out. I had a jalapeno burger once maybe two months back, after a month on plan...I got SO sick from it!! I was in PAIN for an entire day, if I remember correctly. That, and I felt guilty for eating it...not worth it.

BrokenAnkle
04-01-2011, 11:07 AM
not worth it: chips,including sun and pita chips, french fries, burgers, storebought cookies, cake, movie candy, BBQ ribs

worth it: peanut butter both by itself and in any type of candy type candy, pub cheese with horseradish, good pizza, carnitas street tacos at Rubios,

Linsy
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
not worth it: noodles, bread, pastries (sugar in general)
worth it: bunless fast food burgers (so yummy)

MusicalJess
04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Not worth it: Cakes, milky chocolate, white bread

Worth it: peanut butter (low fat though), McDonalds chicken selects, lattes, ice cream(light- and it has to be good quality vanilla).

Runundefined
04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
The only thing I think is not worth it anymore is anything at all that puts me over my calorie count for that day.

Counting calories for me is finally what is working. It's mentally knowing that NOTHING is off limits as long as I maintain my cal. range each day. I will say that I no longer eat boxed cereal or much processed anything and treats, if and when I do crave them are homemade and the rest given away the next day.

DixC Chix
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Not worth it - potatoes, rice, pasta, noodles (unless in my own homemade soup), crackers, white bread, boxed cold cereal, store baked/frozen/packaged desserts, milk or sugary beverages, hard liquor

Still worth it - butter, cheese, whole eggs, home made pierogues and double garlic polish sausage, special dark chocolate, ice cold beer on a hot, hard workin' day, wine once a month, 1xwk diet soda, angel food cake

mkendrick
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
I agree with practically every caloric beverage. I simply have no need to EVER drink a regular soda. Same goes for froofroo coffee drinks and gatorade and hot chocolate and everything else. Just not worth it for me, I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. The exception to this is alcohol. But I'd rather plan in a shot of tequila to make it count than a serving size of wine, hahaha.

I like volume. No matter how delicious ANYthing is, if I don't get to eat a lot of it, I usually don't want it. So I consider three things. How many calories are in it? How much do I get to eat? How yummy is it? So very highly calorically dense things are almost always out for me. I LOVE oreos. But I eat a teeny weeny serving size of oreos in about 45 seconds. Then I just want more oreos. For the same amount of calories, I could eat a large serving of popcorn that may take me 30 minutes to eat. Even though I technically prefer oreos over popcorn, I'd take the popcorn practically every time.

I'm also pretty good about accepting viable substitutes. If there's a food that is much lower in calories but provides close or equal amount of eating pleasure, I can't imagine why I'd eat the higher calorie version.

So a list of a few things off the top of my head that are not worth it to me anymore:
- Fast food (the exception being an occasional Subway turkey sub)
- Crummy low quality sweets/desserts. A Little Debbie snack will never pass these lips again.
- Full fat dressing/mayo/milk etc...I haven't come across a fat free or low fat version that I won't tolerate.
- Butter...I've gotten so used to going without it that even a tiny bit of butter in my food tastes/feels icky to me.
- Real ice cream. If I need a frozen treat, I'll have frozen yogurt.
- Pasta. I have found enough substitutes that I just don't feel the need to cook or eat pasta anymore.

Some things that ARE worth it (for occasional indulgences):
- Fancy meals. If I go to a restaurant where a meal is $30+, I'm not going to bother with a grilled chicken breast.
- Exceptional desserts/special occasion treats. I'm not going to deprive myself of birthday cake or Christmas cookies. The trick is giving the leftover cake away and only eating Christmas cookies on Christmas, not the whole holiday season.
- As I mentioned above, alcohol is worthy of a treat now and then.
- Candy is near and dear to my heart, and I enjoy it sometimes.
- I fit potatoes in most forms (other than fried) quite easily and frequently into my plan.
- Salt. While I've naturally cut back on salt as I shifted from processed to whole foods, but I don't track it or restrict it. If something needs salt, I'll add it in a moderate amount.

JustJennifer
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
-I still eat pizza *GUILTY* but I order thin crust, make sure it's covered in a vegetable & only allow myself two pieces.
-Cheesecake (my favorite dessert of all time) is no longer worth it. If they made diet cheesecake bites I would buy them lol
-Chocolate is worth it but only if you eat the 'mini' pieces. I can't afford to consume a whole crunch bar.
-Empty calorie drinks (fruit juices & just about all of starbucks except for a tall nonfat capp).
-French fries..mainly because I know I will add chili to them with a quickness. If you're a michigander you know all about coney island lol

still
04-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Funnily enough, I've been lurking this thread, only to come across my own set of "worth it's" and "not worth it's" yesterday! I was at work and ate a bagel (completely out of apathy, tiredness) and instantly thought of you guys!

Not worth it: bagels, most pastas, white bread, most fast food, canned mandarin oranges

Worth it: Ice cream (especially from the local ice cream shop, that will always be worth it as long as I plan for the calories), cake on special occasions, alcohol (especially white wine) on occasions, and those vinegar french fries they sell at the fair. :D

bellaella
04-02-2011, 04:14 PM
this is a great thread and it goes with everything i believe in!!

i know some things i eat are not healthy and DEF HIGH in calorie count but if i LOVE it, i will let myself have it. and i try to only eat the foods i like cuz otherwise, as many ppl around me have heard me say "its not worth the calories".

i guess this all boils down to people's personal preference. i happen to LOVEEE chips and BREAD and carbs. I try to limit them but sometimes i just have to give in!!

chickadee32
04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Not worth it: bagels, white bread, full fat ice cream, cookies, candy, butter, anything fried (unless I'm pan-frying it myself in a bit of olive oil), most fast food, any sugary drink

Worth it: pasta (usually wheat), wine on occasion, low fat ice cream, sorbet, skinny coffee drinks from Starbucks, salt

These are true for most days, but there are definitely exceptions for special or rare occasions. About twice per year my advisor (a serious foodie) takes me to one of the best restaurants in DC, and when I'm having a 6 course meal prepared by an exceptionally talented chef I am going to eat and enjoy every part of it. International travel will also present some exceptions - I won't miss out on enjoying the local cuisine because I'm on a diet, I'll just make up for it in other parts of my day/week so I don't completely derail my weight loss for a week.

rachinma
04-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Not worth it: Calorie-laden drinks, cookies/candy, ice cream, cake, white bread, white pasta, white rice, pizza

Worth it, on occasion: Nutella, pizza goldfish

Totally worth it: Butter, wine

Smiling_Sara
04-02-2011, 09:15 PM
not worth it

Definitely potato chips.
frozen pizza is another big one
bagged/boxed cookies
little debbie
hot dogs-they gross me out now

worth it
curry chicken