Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Default Water aerobics! More effective than you think??

I started a water aerobics class today, and it was really good fun, and I wasn't even remotely tuckered by the end of it. In fact I only noticed that it was harder to lift my limbs when i got out of the pool because of the support they had in the water. XD

We did water-adjusted zumba moves and the thing where you walk round in a circle, then change direction and fight against the current, and twisty-toning moves with the aid of floats, and mostly aerobic type stuff for an hour.

Thing is though, I was inexplicably ravenous for ages after. I also read online that one burns between 450-700 calories per hour doing this exercise. @_@; is this true?! It was a walk in the park!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I found this article which may help explain why you are so ravenous after a workout ...

Quote:
Caloric Intake
Louise Burke of the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra, Australia, has studied why swimmers often have higher body fat levels than athletes of other aerobic sports such as running and cycling. Burke theorizes that outside of the swimming pool, swimmers lead sedentary lives to recover from workouts, and are therefore less active overall than other athletes. She also suggests that swimmers often consume more energy than they expend because they feel ravenous after workouts. Cold water is also known to stimulate your appetite.

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote