Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #1  

Default Binging and Periods

A common theme in my life: I have been healthy, eating clean, working out, and then--it all comes to a screeching halt. I think it's just one binge, that I can just shove under the carpet and move past it. but then its compounded day after day until it hits a week straight of at least a binge a day.

I think to myself, "what the heck is wrong with me?! I was doing so well! I was so proud of myself. I was losing weight, I was so happy! Now I feel fat, depressed, defeated, and hopeless. All because I have no self control."

And then I get it, my period starts. and I'm like DUH!! Why do I always forget how much I am controlled by my hormones? I literally am ruled by them. despite that I can't fight my hormones during that pre-period week, it is really such a relief that it is my body's natural cycle, it happens over and over again. its comforting to know that it really really is not my fault. my period takes over, and I have renewed faith the second it ends i can be me again. dang, being a female really is complicated..

anyone deal with this?

and just in case anyone is curious. I gained 4 lbs in those 7 days! frightening considering how hard each of those lbs takes to lose as a featherweight
Born This Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

I just snacked like I was out of control this weekend and then bang, mother nature rears her head today, it all makes sense now! So yes, I totally get it!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Me too! I gained 5 lbs over the past two weeks due to hormones and my period. So, it's something I really have to be aware of because it can spin out of control quickly. But I'm getting better at recognizing it; that must be something good
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #4  
NewBody=Drugz4Me

S/C/G: 275's?/Ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I definitely can relate as it is TTOM for me. I've been snacking like crazy..although staying within/under my calories. I had a feeling it was my period that was causing me to want to eat soo much. And soo much CRAP. l0l
Drugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #5  

So, my period just ended, and the difference in my demeanor is ridiculous. Food is just food. I can eat it, or I can eat something else. But my emotions aren't involved and I can stop the second my body gets enough.

Does this mean every time I manage to lose weight while I'm not on my period, every time it comes around it will just counterbalance all my efforts?

anyone know any way to overcome this? or figured out a way not to gain weight while on your period? gosh this is frustrating
Born This Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #6  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

This last time was the first period that I didn't gain weight or lose control with.
The thing that I did differently that I never did before is I exercised. I didn't want to exercise. I have huge problems with horrible mood swings, heavy bleeding and cramping the first day and I usually would stay home and do nothing but lay around with my big comfy blanket and just try my best to stay comfortable.
I had made a commitment to exercise at least a little bit everyday. So that's what I did instead of staying at home this last time and that is what I'm going to do next time too.
I hope this is my answer.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Indeed, I also suffer from premenstrual amnesia.

That's what I want to call it, anyway. Hey, if the drug companies can talk about PMS and PMDD, then let me invent something called "PMA."

I never remember how sluggish & gloomy I feel, or what a dark outlook I have on life in the days leading up to getting my period. The day before is particularly bleak. Always, I am so very in the moment that I think "Never before in my life have I felt like this," and I'm afraid a serious depression has descended upon me, and I'm going to need to change up medication & etc.

And then it lifts, or it comes on, and I go, "THAT'S all it was? The usual?"

It gets me nearly every time. On those times when I become rational enough to check my calendar, and say, "Well, it's about that time, so this is probably hormonal & does not reflect my actual reality," I still feel a twinge of doubt, like maybe I'm in denial.

Yeah, I am completely amnesiac about the effects on my MIND. Duh. Seems like I recognize the fluid retention & the swollen sensation & any other sensations Down There, but I nearly always forget how my mood darkens.

Last edited by saef; 04-02-2011 at 08:00 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

me too!!! i just seem to have no self control the week before my period!!! and i know because all of a sudden, i start taking that extra piece of bread at the restaurant and munching on the bag of chips!

i wish there was something we could do/take to not be affected by our hormones like this!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/330/230

Height: 5' 7"

Right before my period is a hard time for me. What makes it extra hard is that my period is so irregular (and I assume it's because of my weight) so I can't even predict when it is coming. I get really irritable, depressed and start craving chocolate really bad. So I feel ya sister!
JadestoneDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

My period just started this morning, which explains the 6(!!) fistfuls of jalepeno cheetos I crammed into my mouth last night as well as the raiding of a bucket of chicken in the fridge at 1am. And the fact that I was just SO upset with everyone close to me, but couldn't exactly figure out why.

It's rough being a girl.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Yes, me too!! I was in a seriously bad state yesterday--posted a thread about how i just could not stop fantasizing about food! i wanted to binge SO badly! not to mention i was in a bad mood etc. I thought i'd never be able to stick to a diet. I toughed it out and man i feel 100% better today. It's amazing. I feel like i can actually control what goes into my mouth today.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

I honestly didn't put two and two together until I saw this thread. And then the light bulb went off for me as well. Coincidence that there was about 3-1/2 weeks between binges? I think probably not. Transitioning from PMS to TOM within the next two days. I'm hoping I can stay strong for the next week and make it out alive.
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 272/215/135

Height: 5'5

I was just about to create this topic but you beat me to the punch!!

I just finished up my period and I have the same exact problem. All of my will power goes out the window and I feel like I can just eat and eat and eat with out stopping. Usually when I eat I can say "Okay now I feel full " and just stop. But when my aunt flo comes to visit I feel like I'm never really satisfied. I usually gain about 5 lbs ever time my period comes on and then once it's over I go back down 5 pounds with in a couple of days.

I think that the most important thing is to keep exercising and also try our best to eat the healthiest foods we can during this time. (Although I crave chocolate like crazy I try just to have the miniatures so I don't pig out.)

I think that the biggest payoff though for all the diet and exercise is the fact that periods aren't as heavy any more and they don't last as long.

But as a side note does anyone feel anxious before they get their periods? I always feel a sense of foreboding. Nothing serious, but just something like I forgot to get something before I left the house or things like that.

Last edited by Kiyoshima; 04-05-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added text
Kiyoshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 187/184/140

Height: 5'6"

Kiyoshima, yes, I know that feeling. It's like something is wrong, but I can't put my finger on it. Makes me feel less in control of my life in general.

And as for bingeing during that time of the month, I totally understand. I feel hungry all the time during it, and then about a week after it's passed, my appetite totally changes.

Like another mentioned, I think the important thing for me is too exercise or at least get out of the house and do something, even if I am in pain and feeling gross.
chickwithagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/330/230

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshima View Post
(Although I crave chocolate like crazy I try just to have the miniatures so I don't pig out.)

How do you get the miniatures and not be tempted to eat the whole bag?

I satisfy my period chocolate cravings with chocolate milk, but then again, sometimes I can't stop at one glass.
JadestoneDoll is offline   Reply With Quote