General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default frustrated....

let me first say that I love my kids and grandkids...but I am feeling used and taken advantage of...

I had empty nest terribly bad when my youngest left...I got over it and hubby and I had the first time in our lives to live as a couple with no kids...(my son was 1 when we met)....then the first grandson came.... we have had him nearly every weekend for the last over three years because his mom works weekends...then the other child had a son...and we now have the two grands pretty much every Friday and Saturday nights....we work mon-thurs...we finally took back our Fridays...it's the only day we get to sleep in...and get things done around the house...we also have asked them to be picked up by noon on Sundays so we can have time to do things around the house..

we love having the boys and at least they arent being dropped off who knows where but I am tired and sometimes we want to do something and we are even getting them both even on the weekends their parents arent working...cause they need a "break"...the boys are starting to not want to go home with their parents...

as I said...we are homebodies and enjoy having our grands...just wondering how to make our children realize that not every grandparent does this and every now and then a break would be nice....or at least a thank you...
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #2  
No description available.

Can the adult children trade off watching each other's kids at least one weekend day to give you a break?

You can love your grandkids and help your kids and NOT be a doormat. Tell them what you need. Even if it is one weekend a month grandkid-free; they'll figure out how to get their kids' needs covered.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5

put some limits on how often you will babysit. There is nothing wrong with that.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would set aside one weekend every month that you are not available. Be definite about it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Can I have you for a mother in law? My mother in law LIVES with us and she never watches our 5 year old. Maybe, 'maybe' once every 3 months for an hour or so?

In all seriousness, just talk to your kids about everyone needing breaks and I like the idea of the siblings switching off too so that everyone gets a break once in awhile.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Yikes. That's a hard situation.
I agree with others to let your children know that you and your husband need a break too and discuss having a weekend free a month. Surely they can find someone else to watch the kids during that time.
It is hard with young kids, I have a three year old and a 6 month old. My mother usually keeps them one night a week. We'll drop them off around 7pm or so and pick them up at 9 am. This is mostly so we can get uninterrupted sleep. However, I make it perfectly clear to my mother she under no obligation to do so. In addition, we've begun to discuss what to do when my son starts public school. She mentioned keeping him after school but I don't want my son to become her obligation.
Sorry, I got off on a tangent.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote