Weight Loss Support - Can I lose 100 pounds in 40 weeks?

PixieDust90
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
So, I'm a 20 year old female, 5'4, and about 270 pounds. My goal is to lose 100 pounds and get down to 170 pounds. I was wondering if I can do this by the end of the year (which is 40 weeks). My goal is to eat in portions, and to exercise 4 times a week. 2 days on the treadmill, and 2 days lifting weights. With doing this, can I lose 100 pounds in 40 weeks? Is my goal safe? Healthy? Realistic?

ParadiseFalls
03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
I'd say it's definitely possible. That's 2.5 pounds per week, and while it would be tough to lose that consistently with no off-weeks, you will likely lose a bit more than that per week for a while, so that could make up for the inevitable stalls down the road.

I would make sure you're counting calories, though, and sticking to whatever limits you place on yourself.

niafabo
03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
You could do it but you would have to push yourself very very hard and watch your calories just right and even then it would be calling it pretty close. I'd say shoot for 80 but if you are heart set on 100 it is possible it just won't be easy and you might have more issues with things like extra skin if you drop the weight fast.

AnnieDrews
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
That sounds like a stretch to me. Not that it can't be done, but I don't know how successful you may be at keeping it off if it initially comes off that fast. Just be sure you go about it in a sane and healthy way...no fad diets.

I've lost 40 pounds in one year while shooting for 50....not too bad, but it was harder than I thought.

berryblondeboys
03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
It is still possible, but not probable. You would need to uber diligent. My question is, lets say you start, and are losing adequately, but not fast enough to get to goal? What will that do to you? Will you keep trying to get as close to goal as possible? or will you quit because now your goal is impossible?

I ask this because many people really get stuck on a number. Try not to. Getting thinner and fitter is much better than being where you are in weight.

My ultimate goal is 175 - but even that is fluid - maybe I'll want to lose more. Maybe I'll be happy at 180, who knows. My 'goal' is to lose 1 lbs a week, consistently. it's not a race and I need to remember that.

So far the weight is coming off much faster than that, but I won't beat myself up if some weeks the losses are less. Losing weight, even slowly, is better than staying the same, or worse, gaining.

MusicalJess
03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
I agree.I think 100 would be achievable, but you can't have any hiccups at all. By all means shoot for 100lbs loss but don't be disheartened if you struggle.

stacygee
03-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I think to reach that goal you will have to tweak your plan. I think you would have to count calories, carbs and up the exercise. I am your same height and I do cardio 6 days a week and strength train 3 days a week. I am losing about 2 pounds a week.

ShanIAm
03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I agree with what everyone has said so far. I think it is obtainable but you cannot have many hiccups along the way. And you'll lose more than 2.5 pounds a week to start and then once you get closer to 100 pounds it'll stall a little bit. But that is to be expected. But if you do not lose 2.5 pounds a week here and there, please do not get discouraged. And don't pysche yourself out either. You are going to see and feel an amazing difference after 20 pounds, 40 pounds, etc!

And on the days you are just lifting weights, I'd recommend a 5-10 minute warm up doing cardio to get your heartrate elevated before weight lifting. Personally I'd focus more on cardio right now than weight lifting. 80% cardio, 20% weights. But again, that's just me. :-) The exercise section has a lot of info.

Good luck and we are here to support you!

CandyCoatedSymphony
03-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Yes you definitely will! For your age and weight you will definitely lose that weight, probably even faster too! Good Luck you can do it!! :hug:

Andrbeck
03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
you can do it!! I think it will not be easy but if you put everything into it.. it can happen!! You just want to make sure you stay healthy and you don't over do it! Keep us updated!

MariaMaria
03-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Maybe yes, maybe no.

Would losing, say, 75 pounds in your time frame (and continuing to lose) really be a failure, though?

Lynn89
03-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I lost 100 in 48 weeks. I lost the first 60 in about 15. It gets harder after the first 3 months though..

bellaella
03-28-2011, 06:13 PM
good luck!! it should be doable but it will be about self control!! i also think that you most likely need to track your calorie intake and up your exercise a bit. good luck!!

milmin2043
03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree with lynn89.

I have lost 91 lbs. since June 15, 2010. I haven't counted up the weeks for that length of time.

I lost a good majority of my weight in the first 5 months too. Now it is coming off much more slowly. The last 14-15 lbs. will probably take until the end of this year.

You can do it and I would suggest really increasing exercise and intensity of exercise (this is from my experience only mind you).

Good luck no matter how much you lose!!!

fatferretfanatic
03-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm shooting for 100lbs in a year, from March 7th. I know that you can, can, can lose 100 pounds before this year ends, but if I were you, I'd stretch the goal out a few months. It seems a little more phesable that way-it's your goal, your body, your life, so you make that descision, but I can say from experience that initially, it is much harder to get into the groove of things, but the great thing is, you will lose a lot of weight initially. The first week I lost 10 lbs. The second week I lost one. The next, I lost three. So, it evens out to how I've lost more than 2.5 per week. But, you won't really be able to allow yourself any humanity-or human error. A cheat meal (within reason, a few hundred cals over what my limit is)every few weeks is necessary for my sanity! Sometimes, that helps me lose more, sometimes it stalls it a little. Just keep in mind that you need to allow yourself to be human a little. You're not a machine. What happens if you get sick and can't work out for a few days? You might lose less and be dissapointed. Just please, please let yourself enjoy the little victories as well as the overall huge goal. Also, it helps I think to have an athletic goal. Mine is to be able to run about a mile and a half straight before I leave KY to AZ, probably next month, though I think I'll do it faster. That also gives you a reason to exercise more than just cals.

JohnP
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
I think you're asking the wrong question.

Of course you can lose 100lbs in 40 weeks. Will it be hard? Depends on how much you enjoy restricting your food intake.

The better question you should ask yourself is can I create a new sustainable lifestyle for myself that will allow me to lose the weight I want to lose and keep it off.

The good news is you've found this forum. Goodluck to you.

Lori Bell
03-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Sure it's possible...I'm living proof. I lost my first 100 pounds in 28 weeks. From March 4th, 2008 to September 5th, 2008. It wasn't that hard. Though I did start out about 60 pounds heavier than you...but I'm also over twice your age. ;)

Heres the deal though. I didn't "cheat"...at all. Not once. For the first 3 months I stuck t0 1200 calories a day. I never went over and I Weighed and measured every single thing. Later I did add some extra calories on the weekends, but I never went over 1500 on those days....NEVER. No drinks with friends, no chips and salsa, no nibbles, no nothing except clean, ultra nutritious food. I don't think I could have done it at 20...I liked to party too much. lol :)

JohnP
03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Heres the deal though. I didn't "cheat"...at all. Not once. For the first 3 months I stuck t0 1200 calories a day. I never went over and I Weighed and measured every single thing. Later I did add some extra calories on the weekends, but I never went over 1500 on those days....NEVER. No drinks with friends, no chips and salsa, no nibbles, no nothing except clean, ultra nutritious food.

You should write a book and call it. WILLPOWER. Impressive!

southernbelle102
03-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Yes, you definitely can do that. I am going on my 39th week now and have lost 141 lbs so far. I have been super strict with my calories though (1200-1600 every day... I started at a high weight so that created enough of a defecit for me) and try to stick mainly to low carb for the most part. I haven't done much exercise up to this point but am adding that in. I think to get to that goal, you will need to strictly count calories and really can't cheat. Exercise is wonderful and an essential part of health and toning but diet is essential in losing the lbs. Also, I have found that my skin has not been half as bad as I had worried about it being after losing so quickly. I think that it is still pretty elastic because of my age. You are younger than me, so you should probably not have any extra skin issues either. Everyone is different with that though. Good luck!! Keep us posted!!

Mishflynn
03-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Yes you can do it! It will be harder a few months in, But if you are dedicated, motivated & dont cheat its do-able.
Aim for the Moon & even if you miss youll be floating with the stars!

chickadee32
03-29-2011, 10:02 AM
As everyone has said - it seems possible, yes, but difficult. You will need to stick to your plan like glue, and persist even through the weeks when you don't see as much loss.

You're starting out almost exactly where I did - I'm 1/2 inch taller and was ~10 lbs heavier (and 12 years older). I have lost 37 pounds in 12 weeks by calorie counting (1200-1500/day) and exercising 5 days/week beginning at week 4 (3 days cardio, 2 days weights). That's an average loss of ~3 lbs per week, but the weekly drops at the beginning were larger than they are now and the rate of loss will undoubtedly slow as I lose more. My plan is completely manageable, though, as well as safe according to my nutritionist, and I don't have trouble sticking to it.

I would add more exercise to your plan when you can manage it (though I think 4 days/week is a good place to start), and watch your calories strictly. Weighing your food rather than measuring will help you keep your calories within your target range (I don't do this now, but will at some point).

Good luck! :)

nessalyn
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I lost 40 lbs in about 13 weeks. It was strict monitoring calories, eating exactly what my trainer told me to, hitting the gym 4x a week. It's hard, and it can really stink sometimes when all your friends want to go out for dinner/drinks.
I've been done with my trainer now for about 3 weeks, and while I'm still losing, it's not as fast as it was, because I'm not quite as strict.

In essence, you can do it, it's just going to take a lot of hard work and willpower!

starbrite
03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I did it in 34 weeks, and I like Loribell am twice you age !! I won't pretend it was easy - I never cheated-not once. I never licked the spoon, or pinched a morsel here and there. But I am an all or nothing kind of person, and for me to keep the weight off, I have to give it my all, or I will achieve nothing ! Good luck, keep striving, everything is possible if you put your mind to it.

redcamaro84
03-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Yes, you definitely can do that. I am going on my 39th week now and have lost 141 lbs so far. I have been super strict with my calories though (1200-1600 every day... I started at a high weight so that created enough of a defecit for me) and try to stick mainly to low carb for the most part. I haven't done much exercise up to this point but am adding that in. I think to get to that goal, you will need to strictly count calories and really can't cheat. Exercise is wonderful and an essential part of health and toning but diet is essential in losing the lbs. Also, I have found that my skin has not been half as bad as I had worried about it being after losing so quickly. I think that it is still pretty elastic because of my age. You are younger than me, so you should probably not have any extra skin issues either. Everyone is different with that though. Good luck!! Keep us posted!!

Southernbelle102, is there a specifice diet you followed, I am 5'5, 263 I would love to lose 100 by october for reunion. I have lost 25 on another plan, but need to lose it faster, Thanks redcamaro84

icedragon6669
03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
I would say it is definitely achievable! but it will take commitment

Remember that at first the weight will come off quicker, (the bigger and unfitter you are the more calories you burn with any excericse) BUT as you get down the weight loss will slow down a fair bit! so you either need to ramp up the excercise or tighten your diet further as you go along.

LisaP916
03-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Please remember that faster isn't necessarily better. You want your weight loss to be sustainable and maintainable. Changing habits for the better and for good takes time.

Tracy Leigh
04-01-2011, 12:23 AM
It took you time getting there so take the time loosing. I am on a diet that puts you in ketosis. It is easy yet so hard. The secret is cut the carbs and sugars. You body goes into ketosis and the weight comes off. I have lost 25 lbs. It would have been faster if I stop sneaking carbs and sugars. Then it takes 2-3 days to get back into ketosis. It is o.k. the slower the better and the more you have success in the long run. Get plenty of water, sleep and walking would be great. Most of all keep the faith. That is what brought me here in the first place. I was looking for scripture to encourage a friend as well as myself. I found wonderful scripture here. Thank you all. God Bless you on all your successes!
22 “Have faith in God...” 23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. ~ Mark 11:22-24 ~

Tracy Leigh
04-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Your picture looks beautiful. It has been so hard to hold back the cravings. Not my mouth but by sight. Also how did you post the ruler and the other info about your weight? This is new to me and not sure what I am doing. Thank you so much. :)

kmac1196
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Yes, I lost 80+ lbs in a little over 6 months and it did me no good to lose it fast! I gained it back in 2 years! So, back to square one making choices I can live with forever! Good luck to you. I hope you achieve your goals!!!