PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/259/185

Height: 5' 7''

Default Best Plans for PCOS

Hi, I'm 40 and I was dx. with PCOS about four years ago, even though I've suffered with it for along time. I just can't find the right diet plan for me. Even when I manage to stick to it the scale barely moves. I recently joined a gym and have been exercising but am unsure if my next step should be low carb. (again) or try counting calories, ww etc.. Some things I read make it seem like low carbs. the only route for pcos. I'd like to know what your opions/experience with the different plans and how they worked/did't work for you?
cajun moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I think you r first step is to see a doc and get labs run.

Sometimes there's other related complications/issues. Like for me, I'm also hypothyroid and syndrome X.

There's at least 5 types of PCOS patients.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...tient-you.html

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

The first thing I'll say is that even with the perfect food plan, the weight is going to come off slowly unless you really restrict calories to unhealthy levels.

So, your expectations have to be wrapped around that concept.

Secondly, the food plan that helps depends on whether your have insulin resistance or not.

The food plans that I've heard that work are either low-carb or vegan/vegetarian. Have you tried any of those?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #4  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 211/*ticker*/TBD!

Height: 5'6

Are you insulin resistant? If so, do you take Metformin? I know taking Met helps a lot of us with PCOS/IR lose the weight... the first time I took it, I lost about 30 lbs. 2nd time... not so lucky yet! lol

I agree though, definitely get some labs drawn so you can know exactly what you may have going on that might hinder your progress!
linalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/259/185

Height: 5' 7''

Thank you all for the information.
cajun moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/231/180

I can definitely identify with the difficulty of losing weight with PCOS. For years, I've found it so difficult to lose weight through dieting and exercising. Recently, I've started taking Metformin. I started off with (500mg daily), and by week #2, I was up to 1000 mg daily. Within the first 2 weeks I lost around 6 pounds. I didn't have the symptoms (nausea, diarrhea, etc.) that some experience with the meds. I always take Metformin after a meal. It also has increased my energy levels. You may want to speak with your dr. about Metformin or some other meds that assist PCOS patients with weight loss.
sweetpea94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I have done this through calorie counting with an emphasis on whole foods including restricted complex carbs. I'll eat complex carbs in moderation but I always link them with a protein, based on principles I learned from The Insulin Resistance Diet. Basically you never eat a carb without a protein. So you might eat a banana with peanut butter or a sweet potato with chicken. Yogurt can be eaten by itself because it's both a protein and a carb.

I've had no problems losing this way, though I do lose rather slowly. The BEST thing I did for myself was resolve to stick to it no matter what. Patience is what took this weight off.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #8  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I cut carbs, count calories and got rid of all refined carbs. I dont eat white bread, rice, sweets any of it I feel GREAT! I have lost 30 lbs in a little over 3 mos with two plateus my last one being these last two weeks which was my own fault cause I really slacked on my diet/exercise. Defo check with your doctor, find out if you are insulin resistant. Another thing that helps pcos'ers lose weight are taking vitamins...I and im sure my fellow cysters have a list of vitamins we take every day. Mine includes cinnamon, chromium picolinate, a prenatal, calcium, fish oil and vitamin c. Good luck finding out what is best. BTW 1-2 lb a week loss even sometimes .5 lb loss is what were looking at and is pretty normal for women with pcos. Hope this helps!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote