Alternachicks - Happy Yule!

View Full Version : Happy Yule!

Wildfire
12-20-2002, 09:19 PM
A happy and blessed Yule to our members who celebrate. May your fires burn bright, your hearts be warm, and may the return of the light fill you with hope for the days ahead.

Don't forget to burn your bayberry candles...said to bring good luck for the coming year!

(If you see a faint glow in the sky over the Burlington area, it's just the truckload of bayberry candles I'm settin' fire to! DON'T BE CALLIN' THE FIRE DEPARTMENT! :D)

dentrassi
12-20-2002, 09:21 PM
THANKS!! HOPE THAT YULE BE VERY HAPPY TOO!!!

Wildfire
12-20-2002, 09:53 PM
:D

Ruthxxx
12-20-2002, 10:14 PM
I just came in from the meadow behind the barn and watched the moon start to show. Happy YULE!

VelvetCyberpunk
12-21-2002, 01:05 AM
Also eating black eyed peas on New Years day is thought to bring good luck for the year. Happy Yule to all my sisters.

katrinabgood
12-21-2002, 09:27 AM
Yuletide greetings to all...

Den, you kill me.

ellis
12-21-2002, 09:30 AM
Happy Yule, girls!!

okay... I need some bayberry candles and some black-eyed peas (isn't that Asian?)... And a yule log...

"A candle may be left burning overnight to call the Sun, and the doors should be flung open the following morning, and bells rung to greet the Oak King."

Ruthxxx
12-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Well, we have the Sun - as to the Oak King, I'm still hoping. Maybe tonight?

Wanttolosealot
12-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Happy Yule to all who celebrate and to those who do not as well!

ellis
12-21-2002, 11:36 AM
Qui est la Oak King anyhow?

flower
12-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Happy Winter Solstice everyone! A Merry Yule to you too!

Lidian
12-21-2002, 08:02 PM
Happy winter solstice, happy Yule, happy buche de Noel ---

We used to watch the Yule log on TV when I was a kid - very festive! My mother hated that - it just didn't look like a fireplace. Also fireplaces generally don't have Muzak emanating from them. At least none I've seen!

I hope Yule all have a lovely Yule, my dears --

Lidian

VelvetCyberpunk
12-22-2002, 02:53 AM
Actually black-eyed peas is a southern dish, but it may be asian in origin, who knows? Get the canned ones with theseasoning, and just add a little Canadian bacon and let simmer for a bit, then enjoy! :chef: :D

ellis
12-22-2002, 07:02 AM
Hmmm... I wonder what the heck I was thinking about, Velvet? Perhaps I was thinking of red bean paste. :D

One of our traditions in Canada (in particular in British Columbia) is the Polar Bear Swim. I don't think that requires an explanation. My sister's MIL used to do it. I don't know about you girls, but I'd need a pretty substantial reward to get me to go into that freezing cold water.

Lidian
12-22-2002, 11:23 AM
I don't even go in a heated indoor swimming pool this time of year, Ellis! There would have to be a large cash incentive in it for me to do a Polar Bear swim. And plenty of hot chocolate and flattery too!

And even then, I'd probably just stay inside and watch!

Lidian

ellis
12-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Okay girls... this is your big chance. Pool your money, let me know how much you come up with; if it's enough I'll do the swim. :D

It would have to be a Canal dip. It's 1 degree celsius right now... not TOO cold. But the canal is very dirty, if that's extra incentive for you.
Oh... here's another... I'm not a very good swimmer. So roll up!

Ruthxxx
12-22-2002, 12:08 PM
My pal John does the Polar Bear swim every year in Kingston Harbour. He is actually blue when he gets out! It's New Year's Day - a great cure for a hangover.

ellis
12-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it kills you. :lol:

Ruthxxx
12-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Well, he is HIV positive so he really doesn't care! And he says that himself! Other than that, John's a very upbeat person.

barefootgrrrl
12-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Yuletide Greetings ~~~~

We went to DD's holiday chorus concert last week. Afterward they burned a yule log in the park across the street and served mulled cider. It was very nice.

This week we all had a rough go of it so DH decided to drive us to a colonial tavern for lunch. It has been in business since the 18th century. Then he wanted to stop at a Benedictine monastery that sits in the woods on a mountain overlooking the Shenandoah river.

They are famous for the fruitcake they make and sell there. While he went into the giftshop, I walked through the fields...communing with nature :)

You can tell it's the winter solstice when the sun sets not long after lunch!

PS - does anybody other than my DH like fruitcake?

Happy Holidays all - hugs

Terri

ellis
12-22-2002, 01:50 PM
Ooooooh, Terri! A Benedictine monastery! How beautiful!

Fruitcake? It's disgusting. Those little bits of fruit make shivers go up and down my spine.

squeaker
12-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Happy Yule to all of the Alternachicks. :)

I don't have bayberry candles, but what are vanilla and cinnamon for?

dentrassi
12-22-2002, 10:53 PM
ACTUALLY, I like fruitcake!! If it is a good one at least. I made some homemade one year and "aged" them with extra brandy.....YUM!!!

ellis
12-23-2002, 07:42 AM
Yeah. Well. You WOULD like fruit cake. You like MARMITE for gosh sakes!!

mauvaisroux
12-23-2002, 11:21 AM
Happy Yule everyone! :D

Fruit cake = brick = :p

Lidian
12-23-2002, 11:28 AM
I like Dundee cake, which is like a fruitcake but light - a sort of vanilla cake with currants and a few cherries and almonds. It's Scottish. I have offered to make one but it is good that DH isn't pining for one because I would be the one eating it. He still hasn't got his mince tarts, poor thing, but maybe I'll make them today.

Some fruitcake is OK - but I agree with Den, it has to have a lot of rum or brandy in it! (No Marmite though)

Lidian

Punkinseed
12-23-2002, 11:48 AM
Blessed Yule everyone!!!

Aaaah, the sun returns!!! :cb: I survived this period without SAD this year - a huge reason to be grateful...

Terrrri girrrl - I do like fruitcake, but like Dent, it's got the be the kind aged with brandy. We used to get this real expensive stuff - but even though I like it, it's not worth the $6 for a small box.

On Saturday I spent Yule with my girlfriend and her family. We had potato soup, my awsome first attempt at herbed butter and rosemary crusted loaf bread. Spice cake, cinnamon rolls and brownies for dessert. We also polished off the mead so we can make more at Imbolc. Aaaand, we had a couple shots of glug.... all this while lighting wish candles on the Yule log (which actually came from a tree on my property this year). Thankfully, we didn't burn the house down - but the log was beautiful and thoroughly covered in colored wax by the time we were done. Her 2 kids loved their Yule presents - and I got extra Auntie hugs (the best part of the holiday IMO).

A bit of Pagan lore (symbolism)... the Holly King rules for 1/2 the year - from summer solstice to winter solstice, when the days grow slowly darker - he's the "old man winter". Then the Oak King takes over from winter to summer, when the days grow lighter. Below is a cute "eviction notice" that was sent to me last year at the winter solstice.

Dear Holly King,
We regret to inform you that your request for an extended lease on your present living quarters has been once again denied, and you are therefore required to vacate the premises by December 21 at the latest. We here at Celestial Machineworks, Inc., extend our sympathies regarding your kingdom's recent takeover by the Oak King; however, if we may be frank, doesn't getting kicked in the *** by your brother, every single year since the beginning of time, get old after a while?

Please be prompt in moving your personal property so that the Touch-up Crew can ready the place for the new occupant. We regret having to be so pushy in this matter, but you know how the Big Lady gets if things fall behind schedule. We appreciate your business, and we hope that when you visit this part of town again, you'll remember our service and choose Planet Earth as your home away from home. Oh, and if you happen to pass by Hades on your way out, tell him Demeter sends her curses and swears this time she's going to kill you when you come back out again. Oh, and Persephone left her hairbrush in the bathroom, will you hold onto it for her?

Sincerely,
(illegible sig)

flower
12-23-2002, 12:45 PM
That was so cute Punkin!!!!! I will have to save that!!! :) ~flower

barefootgrrrl
12-23-2002, 01:23 PM
Hey Punkin! - glad to see you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the cute note and for continuing to educate us on all the pagan traditions

your bread sounds wonderful - how did you make it?

Terri

Punkinseed
12-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Terri - the bread was actually the *only* thing we didn't make ourselves. We have an excellent bakery nearby that makes awsome rosemary bread, with a yummy salty crust.

I just polished off the potato soup I brought home on Saturday... :p Yummmm..... (ignoring those little bubbles of butter on the top!)

Terri

rochemist
12-23-2002, 06:35 PM
As I just visited my family,

Frohliche Weihnachten!
or Happy Yule!
or have a great Winter Solstice!

Wishing all of you the best and the brightest to close out this year and into the next.

Miss Chris