Chicks up for a Challenge - 100 Pushup Challenge

View Full Version : 100 Pushup Challenge

Losing80
03-27-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm bringing back a challenge I did last year, the 100 Pushup Challenge. Yes, I said "pushups." Oh no you didn't! Oh yes I did!

It's easier than you think, especially when you adapt it like I had to. You won't believe how strong you feel when you finish the challenge - man, I was on fire! Me? Fat, wobbly walker, asthma pre-diabetes me made it through? Yeah, baby! Do a little dance, make a little... improvement in your fitness. ahem. :carrot:

It's 6 weeks long, you work out three days/week, do three sets each time. It's super easy to toss in the workout when you're at home on the laptop, taking a break from loads of laundry, whatever. Mix it up. Here's the link: http://hundredpushups.com/

I have bad wrisonts and shoulders. Putting over 200 lbs of strain on them trying convential pushups made for disaster. Couldn't even finish ONE, and my rotator cuffs and wrists were seriously pissed off. :mad: I adapted the challenge by doing wall pushups. The only issue then was placing my hands on the wall at the right height and width so I didn't blow up my rotator cuffs. I switched positions every now and then, hands a little higher, little lower, little closer together, fingers rotated a little in or a little out. Basically I just lowered myself to the wall till my nose or boobs touched it - it was a race to see who'd get there first :o - then push back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Wall pushups are still a workout!

Watch out Tony Horton. Fat girl's gainin' on you.

100 Pushup Challenge Progress
Week 1
Mon: 26 reps max/62 total broken up among the sets Wed: 25 max/63 total Fri: 30 max/74 total
Week 2
Mon: 33 max/81 total Wed: 24 max/78 total - ouch! Fri: 33 max/94 total
Week 3
Mon: 34 max/90 total Wed: Fri:
Week 4:
Week 5:
Week 6:

joyfulloser
03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks...I'm gonna do it...I'm reallllly gonna DO IT!!!:carrot:

Should we report our progress here? That would be nice!;) Anyhoots...thanks for the link!:hug:

Losing80
03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Hiya JoyfulLoser! Wow, congrats on your weight loss progress. :bravo:

Check out the link. They've got a test you can do to help figure out how heavy your workouts should be. Great place to start.

Sure, post your numbers here. I'll update my signature with the max number of reps I can do at one time. That number better be creeping up over time! I'll also post that number and the total I did that day every time I check in.

I'm working out Mon-Wed-Fri starting tomorrow. How about you? :strong:

Losing80
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Ugh. No wonder my numbers today look good. I did some wimpy pushups! Gotta get my feet back further from the wall even if it's Monday and the last thing I want to feel is the burn.

Wednesday will be better.

joyfulloser
03-28-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm working out Mon-Wed-Fri starting tomorrow. How about you?

Ooops...sorry I missed this!:shrug: I want to get started this week, but not sure yet as to what my days will be. I'm gonna spend a little time on that website (I have it bookmarked) figuring out everything first. I'll post here when I have it all together.

Glad to hear your numbers are looking good!;) Keep up the great work!:D

romainelettuce
03-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Oooooh this looks scary but I want to try! And hi everyone!

Push ups are like my kryptonite. I have the WORST upper body strength in the world. Perhaps this will get my butt in better shape! I'll start tonight!

Losing80
03-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey there RomaineLettuce! Love your pic. Yikes - situps are my kryptonite. Give it a try, why not? you can always work on the wall till you're stronger. Girlfriend, you'll have so much fun you'll find yourself doing pushups in Walmart. Just pretend you're reading labels and forgot your glasses! Just make sure the display is actually backed by a wall, not air.

Ms. Joyfulloser, I'll be here whenever you get rolling.

I'll report again on Wednesday... with my feet spaced right this time. Ugh!

romainelettuce
03-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Hahaha, and thank you!

Soo.....initial test I couldn't do a real one. So for the first day I did them off the wall and ohmygod that was tough! Looking forward to sculpted guns at the end so I can tell people which way is the beach ;P

Losing80
03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
That'll be me in the distance with the mai tai! Way to get going, RM. Decided which days you'll do them, and whether you want to report numbers?

joyfulloser
03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Ok...so yesterday I tried to do the "test", but was a little confused with the instructions. Maybe someone here can help.

Are we supposed to do as many pushups as we can in a certain amount of time (let's say 1 minute)? Or as many pushups as we can without stopping (during 1 set)? How many times should we attempt them to get a maximum amount pushups? Helppppp please!!!!:)

I just wanna start this off right. I'm excited and scared at the same time!:p

Focused Lani
03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm in - I'll start Mondayish as I still have a niggling wrist issue and I'll be doing the wall push ups too as I couldn't perform one 'good form' push up. I'll let everyone know how I'm going.

Joyfull- I read it as doing good form push ups to exhaustion, just too see where your at :)

Losing80
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Hiya Focused Lani. See you Monday! So glad you've joined in. Ladies rockin' the wall! Ain't nothing we can't accomplish when we do it our own unique way. Whoa - fitness and life lessons! :D

JF - The test is to do as many "good form" pushups as you can in one set, wall or floor doesn't matter. The first try will give your best results - your arms are at their peppiest. Take as long as you want. There's no time limit. Stop when you can't possibly keep it together for another pushup. Sound like you already tried...?! How'd you do?

Eliana
03-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I have had this challenge in the back of my mind since last year! :D I have been "working" on it loosely ever since, but nothing hard core.

Let me tell you guys, I went caving this past weekend with 30 boy scouts. I was the only girl. :D To get into this cave you had to go down a hole under a tree root and basically rock climb your way down. There was no ladder! And then you had to get out! There was a lot of climbing and bending and commando crawling! It was awesome! And I thanked this challenge for my success on this trip, I really did. Ladies, I have some awesome upper body strength at this point.

Remember that you don't have to just do push ups to achieve this same effect. Other upper body exercises strengthen the muscles for pushups. And Losing 80, since you are already complaining about your shoulders, I urge you strengthen those along the way as well, gently. I had horrible shoulders a year ago and thought they were hopeless. I think I can credit their strength with lateral raises, front raises and maybe PEC flyes. For lateral and front raises I used small 3-5 pound weights for a long time, and though I'm pretty strong in other places, I'm still only up to 12 pound weights for shoulders at this point. But I no longer have shoulder pain at all. If you don't have weights you can use soup cans and work your way up to milk jugs filled with increasing amounts of water.

AND...I did 38 push ups in one minute the other day. :D

So I'm in for the challenge! I was considering starting it up official in the next few weeks anyway. In the mean time, I'm just doing three sets of 20 two days a week. But my workout routine is going to change at the end of April so I'm going to work in this challenge at that time.

Protect those shoulders ladies, and have fun!

Losing80
03-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Some people think wall pushups and wall push-uppers are wimpy. :gossip: That makes other folks think, well, they'll just never be able to do any pushup at all. sigh. :^: You know what I says to that, right? HAH! I will admit, though, it's easier to fake out pushups against the wall than prone on the floor. Whee, look at me, tee hee! No "precious pushups" here, okay? We're all about getting a real upper body and torso workout while protecting our joints and building up strength.

One key to getting a solid wall pushup done is the distance your feet are from the wall. Start out super simple with your toes about a foot away. Place your hands on the wall roughly in front of your shoulders, tighten your core, and come in to the wall till your nose touches (easy does it!):stars: Using just your arms, PRESS your body away from the wall. Too easy? Scoot your toes further away from the wall. Keep moving back until a single pushup makes you say - huh! felt that one.

You might find out that you've moved back so far your arms don't touch the wall. That's cool. Lean your upper body in till your hands are flat on the wall, straighten and tighten your body, go up on your toes if it's easier, and let your body sink to the wall. Press up. Sink back down. Press up. Keep your body straight just like you're on the floor. Don't stop now chica, you're doing pushups! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

More in a later post about positioning your arms to prevent shoulder and wrist strain.

iaradajnos
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
So I saw your thread earlier and thought, "yeah, good luck to you all." But I decided this morning in my workout to give it a try. I do a workout video four times a week. In the video, there's four sets of four push-ups then four sets of squats with weights and repeat the whole thing again. If I follow the video, I'd get 32 pushups total. (You can choose to do the knee push ups or the toe push ups; all on the floor). For the last week and a half, I've added an extra push-up for each set (getting me to 40 pushups).

This morning, thanks to your thread, I did 48 pushups! Crazy. I never thought women could really do a lot of pushups. Seriously. Throughout k-12, all us girls would fake as little as possible to skate by without getting yelled at (and no one really ever got yelled at). I never saw any "normal" girls or women able to do any upper arm strength moves.

So, I'm committed to keep upping my pushups to 100. I will have to either stop the video or repeat the video section to get me up almost to 100.

I'll keep trying. Good luck to all the other chicks.

nationalparker
03-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi all! Finally made it over here, after printing out the 100 Pushups challenge from the web for the third time. I am working on the modified ones/knee variety and trying to get in one good one. I'd worked up to 10 full toe ones about two years ago and then got sidetracked. SO now will start again, trying to do ONE and then move to the knee ones. I thought I was doing great until hubby corrected my form. Dang. Got a lot harder. I'll have him check it out and correct me again tonight so I get started in the right way :)

I do wall pushups in our restroom at work for some oddball reason ...

Frustrating as I used to do a good bit of yoga and pilates and the plank position so worked my core - now I have a lot more core to push up and down... so it'll help me get back into my yoga, too, i think. I hope! NO, I PLAN and carryout! (No, losing80 - not carryout food!) :devil:

So, count me in. Where do i pick up my tshirt and what's our team name? :lol:

Losing80
04-01-2011, 09:17 PM
NationalParker, it's great to see you over here! In honor of your finally taking the plunge, I'm officially opening the "Name this Team" contest! Post your ideas here. :write: We'll vote and the winner will get a team t-shirt. Ideas?

Anyway, NP, loved your post. Got a big giggle on the bathroom pushups and being checked out/corrected by the DH. I am SO not going there, but maybe it's just late in the day. I think I'm stuck in a giggle fit. Oh crap, double entendre. Carryout food - such a bad food day. Sorry. Suddenly it's all about me. More back on the chat....

Eliana and Iaradanor, hullo! :wave:Eliana, we'll officially see you in April. Can I say "wow" on the caving and extrication? You're really inspiring me to do more body weight training, where you use your own weight and props around you - doors, playgrounds, fences, boyfriends - in your strength and cardio workouts. No comments re: the BF workout, ladies. I blush easily and will for sure hide under the table in mortification. :o

Iaradanor, how great you're already on your way to 100 pushups and never even knew it! Too good. Bring it!

I managed 30 pushups as my max today. Bye bye week 1. #30 was harder but I think I could have gone a couple more. Um. Um um um. I'll up the ante and try a few modified knee pushups. If I could finish this challenge with even ONE regular pushup, I'd be over the moon. Eliana, you've got a point. I should be doing regular shoulder workouts. I'll add in some low-grade lat and shoulder press moves, plus a little 1 lb. rotator cuff isolation work. Thanks for the reminder. :strong: I am nowhere near ready to throw in the towel.

It's April 1. A whole new month, a whole new beginning. We've got a great mix of folks in this challenge, all at different levels of ability and strength. :grouphug: Remember this really is All About YOU. I don't care if you struggle to crank out just one pushup. You rock it till you've got that one pushup like nobody else. Who cares if your butt's waggin' in the air, your boobs are dusting the floor, and your arms are shaking like a bowl of jello? Do what you can, the best that you can, and leave your doubts at the door.

Eliana
04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Here I am spouting about protecting those shoulders and then I go and injure mine. :rolleyes: I think it was the parallel dips I stupidly did this morning without any assist. I was quite proud of how I was able to do so many of them fairly effortlessly, but my shoulder is yelling at me tonight in the same way it used to when I had issues. It doesn't want me to raise it above my head and yells at me harder when I lower it. Oops! So I'm going to have to baby it for a bit. Ah well!

pink sparkle
04-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I'll give this a try. I've really been slacking in the strength training department, so maybe this challenge will make it more interesting for me. I'll do my initial test today and officially start on Monday.

pink sparkle
04-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Did my initial test before my workout. I'm doing full hands and toes pushups (whatever they're called lol). I completed 14. I'm starting on Monday. I'm also thinking about doing the 200 Squats Challenge.

milliej
04-02-2011, 04:04 PM
i am totally in

nationalparker
04-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Well, after my hubby checked my form and informed me that my butt needed to be level with my body, not sticking up more, it reduced the number that I can do down to 8 ... the modified form with the knees. Tried it later and was up to 10 so I'm going to keep at it. Can do one measly regular one, but am going to work on it before the modifieds each time. The nosy dog presents another challenge...

pink sparkle
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
So I started today. I did okay. Not as well as I hoped. I also did the initial test for the 200 squats challenge this weekend. Did 43. Not sure when I'll start that one.

100 Pushup Challenge Progress (regular pushups)
Week 1
Day 1: Completed all sets. Max on set 5 was 11. Total: 47

iaradajnos
04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I have increased my "in video workout" push-ups to 52. This is an awesome video with 5 minute bursts--5 min aerobics then 5 min handweights both high and low to keep up heartbeat. So, there's a part where it's squats with handweights for 1 1/2 minutes and push-ups for 1 1/2 minutes then repeated (handweights for 1 1/2 minutes, push-ups for 1 1/2 minutes). The video has it as 5 push-ups, stand back down for 5 push-ups and repeat twice (total in video of 20). In the five-minute block (interuppted with squats sessions), the video gets you up to 40. I've inserted first 6 each set then this weekend I added 7 (just to the first block).

I'll keep it there for a little to make sure my form stays correct, then add on. Maybe add on this weekend. We'll see. In my next installment, I'd be at 56. After that, I'll add push ups at the end of the video before the cool-down phase. Hope that counts (getting up to 100 in a 20 minute time period?).

Focused Lani
04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone - I'm doing wall push ups. I'm hoping to work up to knee push ups and then full form push ups (as I lose weight of course) I stood away from the wall so my outstreached fingertips were about a foot away from it. Before leaning in and doing the Day 1 easiest reps. At the end I did a max of 8. These results are nowhere near everyone elses level, but I'm giving it a good go :)

Week 1: Max Reps - 8

Eliana
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Week 3, column 3, workout 1 complete. I totaled them and that's 80 push ups in all. I'm not surprised today's workout went ok because it's on par with what I've been doing anyway, but the next session looks tough and the one after that, yikes! :yikes:

iaradajnos
04-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Worked out this mornin'. I got in my 52 in then realized that there's an addtional 12 in the first part of the video (squats and push-ups combo). the pushups are on the knees with one hand on a heavy weight then inter-mixed with pulling up a weight. So, I'm counting up push-ups to total 64. I'll hold off on increasing for a week or so. I can tell I'm stretching myself right now.

Losing80
04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Happy Tuesday gang! A hearty :welcome2: to Milliej. Good to have you on board. Have you figured out how you're going to approach the challenge?

Focused Lani, very nice avatar pic. I want those lats. What's the slow carb diet plan you're on? No worries re: # of reps. You're very early in your weight loss journey. Little steps add up over time. Go slow, protect your joints, and stick with it. You've got a whole cheering section here - good on ya! :cheer:

Iaradajnos, cool mix-it-up routine you've got going on, kinda' like twice the bang for the buck. Is combining the challenge and the video workout a time saver, you think? What exercise video are you using?

Hiya NP. How's your butt doing? As far as pushup form goes, I mean. Are you still working the one full floor pushup before doing the modified knee pushups? Did your DH deputize the nosy dog to critique your form when he's absent? :D

Pink Sparkle, shoosh. Just shoosh. 5 full floor pushups is great in my book! I tried doing one downward dog today. Getting down to the floor was easy but I got stuck and couldn't push back up into the pose. Stuck I tell you! I got a laugh out of it anyway. Squats challenge sounds really good! Want to start it up after this one ends?

Aloha Eliana. How's your shoulder injury? Your numbers are awesome for having a boo-boo. Careful, yeah? Oh yeah, I took your advice and started some shoulder exercises. Have a slight twinge in the right rotator cuff during stretches, but not during weight bearing moves. Not sure why yet.

Tomorrow is Week 2 Day 2 for me. I tried 10 minutes yoga today. :^: Very poor flexibility, poor muscle endurance. Apparently I'm perfectly toned for working at my desk. So that was a little dead fish slap in the face. No matter. I'm putting on my headphones and kickin' it regardless. :bike: I got a little pick-me-up when I found this. Thought I'd share:

"This is your moment"
This is your moment.
I promise you.... it is now.
Not two minutes from now, not tomorrow, but now.
Own it. Know it deep in your bones
Go to sleep every night knowing it.
Wake up every single morning remembering it.

Eliana
04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Losing80, I tried yoga just one time about 50 pounds ago and that woman kept putting us in "Downward Dog" as if it was the most relaxing pose in the world. :rolleyes: It's not!! Not for all, anyway. Recently I recorded a bunch of Yoga shows in Spanish because I didn't care for the ones in English. :rofl: Mind you, I really don't speak Spanish! Correction...I read it and I speak it a little, but I do not comprehend it at all! LOL!

TheMeIwant2be
04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi, I just found this thread. I just started this yesterday! I was able to do the complete sets for my level but no more. I'm not yet doing the full one, I have to bend my knees. I feel it a bit today and yesterday when I was doing it, I felt it in my core. It's pretty hard to keep your body in line like that. I'm excited about it.

Losing80
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Me2Be, welcome!Yep, good form's a bear! :devil:

Week 2, day 2 - New #'s are in my post on page 1. 78 total, 24 max at one go. Tried knee pushups. I'm still laughing. Halfway down on the first try -STUCK. Halfway! Stuck! on my knees! Can you imagine if the mailman had looked in the screen door? Poor guy's already a little jumpy. The second time I locked up I leaned left and hit the mat.

My max # of reps dropped this time from 33, I think, to 24. I was a little upset, but let's look at this more closely.

1) The overall # of reps during a workout is trending up.
2) NP, Me2Be, etc. are noodging everyone to keep tookus tucked, back straight, belly in. It makes for a tougher overall pushup.
3) My pre-workout nutrition is all over the place.

When I did this challenge last year, I was all about slamming out the numbers. Measurable improvements in health, strength, and endurance are the name of the game this time, one thoughtful pushup at a time.

pink sparkle
04-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Ha ha! Funny story, Losing80. Yes, form is very important. Not using the correct form makes the pushups less effective and might cause injury. Eek!

I'm pretty sure I'll have to put off Day 2 until tomorrow. When I did strength training on Monday, I overdid it. Now my chest, shoulder and abs hurt like crazy. Hopefully I'll feel a little better tomorrow.

Eliana
04-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Let's not forget too that this challenge is truly a challenge! I think the program progresses rather fast myself! I wonder if it isn't really meant for guys? I whole heartedly believe women can do it, but it's intense. I personally think each daily workout should/could be performed across one week rather than continuously bumping to the next level. Of course, I'm also all about protecting those shoulders.

I look at it this way: With all my lifting routines, I nudge the weights up in small increments once I am able to lift 15 reps across 3 sets. If I can't meet that goal, I stay at the same weights for as long as it takes, which is usually 2-3 workouts. I do not increase the weights each time I lift whether I'm ready to or not. :dizzy:

Take your time! Losing80, I wouldn't try for the knee pushups until you've met your goal for the wall pushups, though you have a great attitude about it. ;) You do make me laugh. :D I just hate to see you keep meeting with difficulties rather than constant successes. I'm all about success when it comes to exercise! It's what keeps me coming back.

iaradajnos
04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I agree that slow and steady makes sense. I bump things up when I'm confident that I'm doing the form right the whole time. I do a video (The Firm's: the 500 calorie workout with Kelsie Daniels) four times a week. I'm still on the same weights I've done for some months as I still feel challenged. I had bumped up from 3 pounds then 5 pounds but now I'm at 8 and think it's good. Well, I do have 1 pound wrist weights and 3 pound ankle weights, too.

By the way I used to tell people they should do yoga. I would tell them all the great things about yoga. I never mentioned that I did yoga. In fact, I'd never done yoga. I'd really converted many to it. After my pinched nerve in the fall of 2009, I finally tried it and liked it. Don't really do it much anymore (used to do at night but now I just go to bed). Maybe later on start up again.

Focused Lani
04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I just completed Week 1, Day 2, Column 1. I didn't feel like doing this today! Yesterday a played tennis with a mate I've known for 20 years, we seem to always act like 6 year olds around eachother and our tennis game turned into a 'bashing the ball as hard as we could at eachother's heads' match lol Between the elbow over-extensions and rolling around laughing I woke up SORE this morning. However I still did the pushups (though it burned a bit) and increased my max to 10 :)

Everyone seems to be doing amazingly well! Love reading all your stats

Losing80- Thanks for the kind words, I'm on the Tim Ferriss 4 hour body diet. It's legumes, legumes, LEGUMES lol

TheMeIwant2be
04-07-2011, 02:17 AM
I just completed week one day 2 level 2. I was able to do a total of 35 with the max consecutive 9, which is two more than I'd expected. Yes, I'm already sore but it's good sore.

Charlie12
04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
I wanna try this. Just did the intial test and I managed 12. Guess I have a ways to go LOL.

Eliana
04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Oh, I forgot to log what I did the other day! AND I need to do a pushups workout tomorrow and I wouldhave forgotten, so thanks Charlie for bumping this tonight!

I did a total of 105 pushups on Thursday. :D I'm pretty proud of that, even if they weren't consecutive.

Focused Lani
04-09-2011, 12:14 PM
okay finished week 1 - found today hard,my arms seemed just . . . weak! Going to take 2 days off, so I'll be back on Tues for week 2 :)

iaradajnos
04-11-2011, 10:44 AM
It's great how everyone's plugging along. I can't tell you how I used to think anything for arm strength for girls was practically impossible. Sounds sad but I just remember gym classes in school and that was my impression. I was on softball and later the rowing team. Neither sport asked us to pump our arms.

I have bumped up my pushups during the video to 12 on-knee pushups (with pulling up a weight in between) and later two sets of 28 combined with lunges and weights. I tried on Saturday to switch the on-knee pushups to on-toes pushups but these aggravated my arthritic shoulder (following the video includes one had on a weight, pushup, pull up weight, then another pushup, etc). The different levels just don't work.

I'm totally at my max right now so I'm going to hold off at this number for a while to monitor my form. I'm super exhausted when I finish this section--in a good way.

JohnP
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Just saw this thread and wanted to add my two bits. :D

I did this program last year in the spring and I stalled out. Maybe I'm just a weakling or maybe my long limbs make it tough I don't know. I did go from 35 on the initial test to 57 after six weeks.

I noticed they added a couple gifs to show proper form that they didn't have last year but anyone who is doing a large number of pushups should check out this link it shows perfect form and is by far the best work I've seen on the push up.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201103/killer-abs-try-some-push-ups

pink sparkle
04-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Question for everyone: How/Are are you guys doing regular strength training along with this program?

Last Monday I did week one, day 1 (column 3) and about 45 minutes of strength training with quite a bit of ab work. My abs were so sore that I wasn't able to continue week one of the pushup challenge. They're back to normal now but I need to figure out how to do both the pushup challenge and strength training, without having my abs be so sore that it makes it difficult to do the pushups. Any advice?

pink sparkle
04-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Yippee! Thanks for the link, JohnP! That lets me know my form is perfect!

Losing80
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Week 3, Day 1, column 3. 90 total, 34 max. Anyone else got spaghetti arms?

Welcome to the workout, Charlie 12! Great start. Let us know how your regular workouts go.

JohnP, thanks for the GIFs. Will you bring your lanky limbs back for another go?

I thought my numbers would be higher this week, but keeping good form is forcing a tougher workout for sure.

Y'all remember to get in a nice long stretch while you're still warm. You can get an amazing pec/front shoulder stretch by leaning into the corner of a room. Right hand on right wall, left on left, lean your torso slowly forward through your shoulders. You'll get a slightly different stretch if you put one foot in front of the other before you lean, then switch feet.

Good luck this week, everyone!

Eliana
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks John! I'll have to check that out! Are joining us for a sort of rematch then? :D

Pink, I never realize just how much push ups work the core until I attempt to try them with ab work. LOL! Best case scenario, I'd try to work it so those days didn't coincide. I'm currently doing both on the same day though. I do push ups first, a few other things, and then I finish up with abs. That way my abs "tell" me how much I still need to push them. After a while you may find your core is strong enough to tackle both. I honestly no longer notice my abs when I'm doing pushups, but I did for a long time. I do know what you're talking about!

Laura G
04-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Count me in!
I did the initial test - I'm doing bench push ups - I did 10. I'm going to redo the test tonight at home (i'm at work, so getting on the floor is not an option!) and I'll try the knee version - I'm sure I can do more than 10. I want to do this M-W-F, but since I'm late on the bandwagon this week, I'll start my first set tomorrow, then go Thursday and Saturday, and kick it right next Monday.

Is this challenge adaptable to squats do you think? Or does anyone know of a squat challenge?
Thanks!

pink sparkle
04-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks, Eliana! I think I'll have to give that a try. I definitely can't deal with the sore abs like last week!

Eliana
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Is this challenge adaptable to squats do you think? Or does anyone know of a squat challenge?
Thanks!

I don't know, but I don't see why not? If you want to incorporate a lot of squats, I like to stick them in my workouts in various ways. For instance, if I'm working on arms, between sets I'll throw in a set of 20 squats. Or I'll do a squat and come up with a shoulder press, or squat and add a bicep curl. When I do it that way I find at the end of the workout that when I add them up I may have done 100 or so squats without really ever noticing, and believe me, I notice the next day. ;)

Laura G
04-12-2011, 10:52 AM
and believe me, I notice the next day. ;)

NO KIDDING! Am I ever sore today! :eek:
So I started the challege yesterday instead of waiting for today. What I did was during the rest period for the pushups I did the same number of squats. I must be a masochist, because I am super sore today, and looking forward to doing it again tomorrow!

How is everyone else doing on their challenge? I am excited to see some muscles at the end of this.

Eliana
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Laura, awesome!! Just make to sure to get some rest in there too! LOL! Rest is equally important!

I did the pushups today, and while I felt strong, I couldn't do the final set where you should go to max. I mean...my goodness! That was a lot of pushups! And my arms were feeling fatigued and jello-y and I was pushing hard to get out the last reps. I told myself I'd come back and do my final set after my workout, but "after my workout" was following pec flys, arms presses, bench presses and pullovers, so yeah...I didn't come back to push-ups.

Funny though, I came up from a set and one of the guys, a HUGE football player (ALL muscle) asked me what on earth I was doing. LOL! I told him I was working toward 100 consecutive push-ups and his jaw dropped. :D He said, "That's a crap load of push-ups". Yes, yes, yes it is. LOL!

JohnP
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm not joining you for a rematch. My goal is to have big chest muscles which are best built through lifting heavy weights in the hypertrophy range (6-10 reps.)

Goodluck to everyone!

Losing80
04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
"That's a crap load of push-ups". Yes, yes, yes it is. LOL!

Mwhaahahahahahaaaaa! Yes indeed! Now THAT'S perfect for our t-shirt!

:bravo: LauraG and welcome to the challenge! Way to jump right in there! Thanks for mentioning bench pushups. I'm trying to find something between a wall and a knee pushup. A bench could do it. If only I owned a bench....

Re: squats pushups, there's a 200 squat challenge, a 200 situps, 150 dips, 25 and 50 pullup challenges online. You can get to them from the home page of hundredpushups.com.

NP, hang in there. :hug: What's giving you the most trouble. I'm going to repeat my week 3 workout next week. Do you want to repeat yours too and do it as workout buddies?

Eliana, you're a workout nut! Love the idea of mixing in moves during our usual workouts. Who else was it that's mixing it up with a video tape...?

we could get a trifecta challenge going (later!) - abs, squats and pushups. Grrrrrrrr! Don't make me go all Demi Moore on you HooRah!

So about abs work, anyone know of core work that kinda indirectly works the abs, as opposed to a straight up crunch? I had abdominal surgery last year and I'm a little (okay, way lots!) anxious about stressing my core. :?: It's my weakest link. Would love some pointers or advice on how to put together a progressive abs program.

BrittanieYork
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I am slightly embarrassed. Perhaps more than slightly. I knew I had little/no upper body strength, but geez! I took the initial test and the results are definitely motivation for me to take the challenge!

I'm with y'all! Let's do this!! 100 pushups in 6 weeks! Imagine how fab we will all look when we can do that!! Is there a crunches version of this? I can do up to 50-60, but I would love to be able to do 150-200 in a sitting. Maybe we should start a challenge for that, if there isn't already one...

Feedback? Thanks for posting! This is terrific and totally the motivation I needed. You are fabulous!

BrittanieYork
04-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Ok... there actually is a 200 situps challenge! I'm do that as well :-)

Eliana
04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
John, one of the personal trainers at the gym was just talking to me about that. Now I know women can't bulk up really, but she thinks I'm lifting too heavy. I love lifting heavy and don't want to give it up! But I'm looking pretty darn muscular when I do Pec flys. It's only when I'm actually exerting myself though, so I'm ok with it. But I love lifting heavy with 6-10 reps. I've gone up to 15 reps though, just to slow myself down. Once I get to 15 I increase the weight and go back to 6-8. In a way, I'm jealous of you men. I love the sport of lifting heavy but not the look...for me anyway. ;)

Losing80, dang on the pull-ups!!! 25?!! 50?!! Sheesh! I'm still working on one good one! LOL! I can do two bad ones though. ;)

I hate ab work, I really do. It's my least favorite to work. I don't know what would be good with your surgery, but I can make some suggestions and you can pick from them.

First, push-ups are great for the core because you are tightening everything to perform a correct push-up. Push-ups will help your core and strengthening your core will help your push-ups.

Planks: Great for the core. Start with a baseline of time you can hold it and then work on increasing it from there.

Twists: Sit on the ground with your feet out. Hold a medicine ball or a gallon jug filled with some water and twist from side to side.

Leg lifts: Awesome! I hate these. ;) You can also try to hold for a period of time with your feet inches from the floor.

Scissor kick

Laura G
04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Losing80 - 200 squats? yikes! I'm still sore from the 20 I did on Monday! I'm just going to modify it and kkep on track with the 100 push ups - if I can do 100 squats in 6 weeks, then maybe I'll shoot for the 200. As for a bench, I have a VERY sturdy coffee table that I push against the wall and use. Or maybe you could use your bedframe, or put a piece of wood on your sofa?

Anyways, I'm delaying today's challenge until later in the afternoon - I'm still very sore in my legs and even having a hard time transitioning from stand to sit position. My arms are up for it though!

Good luck and lots of strength to everyone on the challenge!

Laura G
04-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Week 1, Day 2, column 2 - kicked butt!
Bring on Day 3!

I actually remembered to stretch today, and I'm making sure my water is where it is supposed to be so I won't be as sore tomorrow!
Keep it up ladies!

Eliana
04-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I can not honestly believe I completed today's workout. :yikes: I did week four, column 3, workout 1. That's a total of 122 push ups! Plus, I was unable to complete set 5 on the last workout, so I'm really surprised I was able to do this.

I am taking next week off, I think. I think. Oh, this is going to be hard! I'm going to be on a beach, so I'm thinking wouldn't it be lovely to run? And I'm thinking I could certainly kick out push ups no matter where I am! But I am supposed to be taking a break so I can come back stronger and maybe confuse my body into ditching these last few pounds! How strange to actually WANT to do this so badly.

Laura G
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Today is a rest day for me, but I wanted to stop in a cheer everyone on! We can do this!:carrot:

Claudine
04-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Hello. I'm joining you as I really need this lolol push ups were ever the worst thing for me, couldn't ever do them.. So it is a good challenge!

Laura G
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Welcome Claudine!

Well my chickies, Week 1, day 3 done! :woohoo: Come on Monday, I want to do it again!

Hope everyone has a super duper weekend!

iaradajnos
04-19-2011, 01:35 PM
So I had a retreat this weekend and usually any change of my routine messes me up completely. However, I realized early enough last week that I'd have to modify my workouts that I got in all my workouts before leaving (and got in lots of walking during the retreat and saw the ocean). This week I have to continue my modification before I can get back on track this coming weekend.

I added heavier wrist weights to my aerobics workout (a dvd video) and so my arms and core got an extra workout. I am still at about 66 pushups and will stay there until I adjust to the new weights. My core is strengthening while losing weight so that's cool. I've figured out ways to increase pushups in my dvd workout so I can add when I get there. I'll have to--eventually--stop my dvd workout and do more pushups later on in order to try to make 100. We'll see. I hear John saying he seemed to plateau. I'm going to try but not worry if at some point my body says--"that's the limit". It's just fun to see the number that I currently can do and hope to raise a bit more.

Laura G
04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
iara: keep up the excellent work! Good for you for recognizing the issues early and modifiying your program.

How's everyone else doing? Did you all fall off the wagon, or just too busy doing pushups to post?
I'm moving on to a successful Week 2, Day 2 tomorrow.

Take care!