PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 09:58 PM   #1  

Default The official PCOS diet?

Hi everyone!

I've been very recently diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance, and told I needed to see the clinic dietician, but she was tied up for a month and not taking new patients.

Not being able to afford an independent, I was wondering if by any good grace I could find someone who would share what a registered dietician gave them as the optimal diet plan, down to grams of carbs per day?

I know of recommended diets, such as Sugar Busters and The Zone, but I am looking for the real medical deal.

All I was informed was to not go on the Atkins plan, which was a bit of a relief to say the least. I have been on my own low carb plan for about a year, and even bought the book Syndrome-X, but even it is vague in food choices.

I'm on 1000 mg of Metformin daily, and dealing with some nausea problems, but I am going to stick with it til the symptoms reduce.

I hope someone out there can enlighten me.

Thanks so much! Please write soon.

Christy
Old 12-19-2002, 10:42 PM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Diabetes Type 2 in my opinion based on many doctors opinion is the best option because PCOS is pre-diabetes (type 2). We treat PCOS the same as DT2 with meds, monitoring - diet is good way to follow suit.

http://pcos.itgo.com If you look at the very bottom middle there are a bunch of Dt2 recipe and food plan sites.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:42 PM   #3  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Hi Christy,

My Endo put me on the SugarBusters! diet and GlucophageXR when she diagnosed me with PCOS. I've been following it and have seen good results with my bloodwork, but not my weight. Others have been very successful at losing weight with it.

I post on the SugarBusters Weekly Support Board here on this site. There are quite a few of us with PCOS and on Gluc or Metformin on there. If you'd like more information, please jump down there and check us out. It's an awesome support group as well as a great place for more information on how to be succesful with SB.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:39 PM   #4  

I have also been tolf by my Endo that I have PCOS and IR.. She has given me Vaniqua cream and Spirolactone for hair growth issues -

She asked me to see the dietician also - who showed me some rubber fruits, gave me a armful of Diabetes magazines and said I should eat no more than 150g Carbs and 40g fat per day and come back in 6 months

I followed this for a while, although I was hungry all the time and very unhappy. Needless to say I didn't stick with it very long. ..

So I am still sitting at 230lbs, hair falling out of my head, sprouting all over my face and neck, acne and depressed.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:46 PM   #5  
resident lactivist

I'm not following a "diet" per se. I am simply trying to avoid sugar & refined grains. I'm down 12 pounds at the moment, but my cycles are still wonky.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:53 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Hi Appley! Didn't your endo prescribe Glucophage? I thought most did. Did the dietician give you a menu of types of foods to eat, other than just 150g's of carbs? The type of carb you eat can make a big difference over how hungry you get. Simple carbs can cause a spike in blood sugar, then a crash, and hunger soon follows. Protein and complex carbs take longer to metabolize and don't cause as sharp of a rise in blood sugar, and you will feel more satisfied with those types of foods. Have you compared your plan to others available?

Ask your doctor about Glucophage. It has made a difference with my symptoms.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:15 PM   #7  

My doctor also said NO to Atkins...so I'm going to try the Swartzenbein (sp) plan....it seems fairly easy and it seems like something that I'm currently doing.

I have lost some inches (I went for a 22/24 to a 16/18) in about a month by eating whole wheat bread and 1/2 baked potato. I drink (if any) one soda a day and lots and lots of water. I have no sweats...except for maybe once a week and I try to eat only Turkey, fish and chicken and have fruits and veggies.

I guess this has been working for me...I do believe we all have to find what works for us..since our bodies are all different.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #8  

Why are these doctors saying NO to Atkins? When done properly, it really helps insulin resistance. Are they just against it on principle, and know nothing about it, or is there some reason why a low carb diet is not good for PCOS? Reminds me of something Dr. Mercola said on his site...he said he can take the medical establishment being uninformed, but not their arrogance when questioned on it!

Christy, what a dietician tells one patient, may not be appropriate with another patient, since we are all individuals. My doctor recommends SugarBusters. Look it over. Counting carbs is not necessarily needed if you eat the right kinds of carbs.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:10 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally posted by Monet 320
Why are these doctors saying NO to Atkins.

The reason my doctor told me no to Atkins is because I became very, very sick on Atkins. I did everything according to the book; but I started having migraines, the shakes and was so weak I could barely stand up.....he said to try a different low carb plan and that is when I found that my own way of eating low carb (which is like 80% similar to the Swartzbein plan) works for me. I went from a size 22/24 down to a 16/18 in a matter of a month and a half.

Now I'm going to try the Swartzbein plan (since the way I am currently eating is so close to the Swartzbein plan....but will be less carbs then what I am currently doing).
Old 04-14-2003, 07:46 AM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Tigger did you take any supps when on Atkins??

I find that I need to take magnesium and potassium and I do fine. no headaches and no shakes. diuresing (peeing) will throw the balance out of whack and we do drink lots when on the diet. So we must supplement it.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #11  

Default carbs??? have MAD cravings!!!

hey all! am new to this IR?PCOS...have started watching diet and metformin(makes me SO nauseated!!). I am dying for something salty...someone mentioned Tricsuits?? Are those legal to eat??! Please help! AHHHHH!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:33 AM   #12  

I follow Atkins and my doctor is thrilled with my hormone levels on the program. He recommends Atkins to his patients (or any other low carb program) since he has done the research and finds that in severe PCOS cases (like mine) Atkins is really the definitive answer. I had so many tests done I felt like the victim of Dracula!
Closed Thread