Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/181/169

Height: 5'4"

Default Wellbutrin and Binge Eating

I have been on Wellbutrin for a bit now, but I just upped my dose to 300mg a day XL.

The strangest thing has happened...

I have pretty much completely stopped binge eating. This has been a big problem over the years for me. I don't think its because of the appetite suppression (which I also experience), because I usually binge when I am NOT too hungry.

I cannot find elsewhere that this happens to other people and I am wondering if anyone has had this experience too.

I also have totally quit smoking (I wasnt a full time smoker, but I would binge smoke on weekends and have bad cravings). I'm just a barrel of fun times.

I have never in my life not felt the desire to eat and smoke. Is this what "normal" people are like?
laughingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Hi laughingcow,
Wellbutrin under the name Zyban is prescribed to help smokers stop smoking.
I was prescribed wellbutrin to stop my ocd behavior (plus to counteract the lack of labido side effect of the paxil and now citalopram)
Anyway good luck and I have no idea what "normal" feels like
Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/181/169

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddly View Post
Hi laughingcow,
Wellbutrin under the name Zyban is prescribed to help smokers stop smoking.
I was prescribed wellbutrin to stop my ocd behavior (plus to counteract the lack of labido side effect of the paxil and now citalopram)
Anyway good luck and I have no idea what "normal" feels like
Take care,
K
Did it help with your OCD? I've been told that I am OCD in the way that I have intrusive obsessive thoughts (though no rituals).
laughingcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Actually, yes it did help a lot. I don't have to check everything over and over again, among other things. I also take the citalopram which helps with my anxiety.
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #5  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

It works that way for me, too. I just. . .stopped binging. Full stop. Didn't even think about it. Apparently it works that way in some people. I'm glad I'm one of them. I've lost almost all of my 120+ lbs since starting Wellbutrin a year and a half ago.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

i am hoping Wellbutrin will do the same thing for me. How long were you on the 300 mg before you stopped binge eating? i was on 150 mg for 3 weeks, and have been on 300 mg for 5 days now. I still haven't noticed any difference.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote