General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #1  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Default How Many Items in Your Wardrobe?

So, I was just reading some things online about how to de-clutter your wardrobe when you're in between sizes and working actively to lose weight, and found a LOT of stuff about closet de-cluttering. I am not a fashion-savvy person, really, but over the years, I've ended up with an overflowing closet that has too many pieces. I can never really bring myself to throw things out, but, I'm working up to a serious purging of the wardrobe. Lots of people posted about minimizing their wardrobes and I was *shocked* to hear about how few items were in many people's closets. It seems I should manage a textile reduction of my own ASAP.

Anyway, out of curiosity, and if you feel like answering:

How many items do you have in your closet?
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I have a ton, more than I can count from here, certainly. For example, for pants, I have 2 pairs of dress pants, two pairs of cords, three pairs of jeans that fit, and one pair that are too big. And then I have about 3x as many skirts.

I went from a job where I wore suits to one that's business casual so I have full wardrobes in each. I have sizes 22-14 represented. I need to try on all my spring clothes and either tailor or move out the stuff that's too big.

As long as it's stuff I wear once in awhile, I'd just as soon keep it around.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, too many to count(my closet is stuffed to the brim) though they're all in my size and anything I do keep(I donate a decent amount of things I don't wear anymore twice yearly or so), I wear with at least some regularity.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

stuff that doesn't fit at all
------------------------------
8 XL t-shirts
3 dress shirts
3 pairs of size 16 pants
2 pairs of size 20 shorts
1 pair of XL pajamas
2 pair of XL stretchy pants,

stuff that comes close enough
------------------------------------
3 pairs of size 14 pants
1 size 14 skirt
2 dress shirts
2 large t-shirts

stuff that actually fit
--------------------
1 pair of exercise pants
1 pair of size 12s
2 large t-shirts (the "clingy" kind)

So yeah seems like I have a lot of stuff in my closet but I can't wear more than half of it. Really should clean it out. XD
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Too many to count, when I reached goal I went on the mother of all shopping sprees, my closet will not hold it all.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

To be honest I never bother counting everything I have. I have been getting rid of clothes little by little, clothes that are either too big or too small.

I realized that with the smaller clothes by the time I do manage to fit into them they're no longer in style. I do keep some classic pieces that I just love.

I also wear business casual to work so that helps. I was never one to like getting dressed up.

I'm not a fashion guru, I just like comfortable clothes. I don't buy designer items, too much money for me.

It does feel good to get rid of things. I donate clothes all the time. It makes me feel good to help someone else out and gives me a feeling of accomplishment to declutter.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Don't throw out clothes. Consign them or donate them and if you donate, get a tax receipt and deduct from your taxes next year. Every year we get a deduction of about $300-$500 for all we donate year to year.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #8  
Melissa

And yes, I have a lot, but I am weeding it all out. From my dressers as I go, but I still need to go through my closet. For what fits, I have 2 jeans, 2 slacks, about 5 shirts, 2 sweaters and several pajamas for winter to summer. All my shorts and t-shirts are too big, but I'll hold onto the shirts for workouts for now. I have several too small things waiting for me, but that's about it. I hope to wear those this summer.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/130/110

Height: 5'2"

I'm not sure on an exact number, but I have enough to last two weeks without doing laundry in both everyday clothes and work clothes. So..10 pairs of work pants and 5 or 6 pairs of jeans? I don't mind wearing my clothes more than once as long as they're not dirty or stinky. As for shirts - 15 or so work shirts, and maybe 10 at most casual shirts.

As a general rule, if I buy something new because the old item doesn't fit, is stained, out of style or whatever, I donate it and replace it with the new item. I also freecycle my old clothes, and get tons of new stuff all the time from there. I'm not really changing sizes too much, but if you are, its a great way to get items in your size for cheap and then pass them on to the next person when you outgrow(undergrow?) them.
caitlin0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #10  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

I have a ton right now but nothing seems to fit (so not complaining!) but at the same time, I'm kind of hesitant to get rid of my old 36W pants & 56DD bras because my brain is like "OMG, what if you forget how fat you were? What if you get fat again? You know that bra cost $45, you can't throw it out even if it doesn't fit anymore..." etc... etc... I probably have at LEAST 15-20 items in my wardrobe that are size 3X/24W or bigger and I'm in size 16/18 (depends on the brand) bottoms and XL tops now.

In regard to things that actually fit? 4 (I have about 9 total but only 4 really fit properly) pairs of jeans (my job has a uber-casual dress code so I live in them), 2 pairs of cargos, 1 pair of khaki capris, 1 pair of black slacks, 3 bras (2 regular underwire, 1 sports), 3 cardigans, 2 button up 3/4 length sleeve tops, 2 sweaters, 5 cami tops, 2 dressy tops, 1 sweater coat, 3 hoodies, 1 insulated vest, 1 trench coat, 1 puffy North Face coat, about 10 tops including t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts.

I do hope to eventually move up the ranks at my job and I know that means I'll have to get a dressier wardrobe (the higher-ups don't have the same dress code that we peons do) so maybe once I reach goal or something, I'll look into it. Too bad I hate wearing heels and dressy clothes, huh?
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #11  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesLosingIt View Post
... I'm kind of hesitant to get rid of my old 36W pants & 56DD bras because my brain is like "OMG, what if you forget how fat you were? What if you get fat again? You know that bra cost $45, you can't throw it out even if it doesn't fit anymore..." etc... etc...
Get rid of everything except your biggest pants and your biggest bra. You don't need a wardrobe of it to remind you. One or two pieces will do. I have kept one pair of jeans (the ones that were getting worn out any way and donated the nicer pair). If ever I feel huge in the future because of a 5 lbs weight gain or something, I will pull out those size 20Ws and remind myself of where I've been and will keep myself from ever being there again. My new motto is, once I get to my set goal, is to never buy up a size again. If pants get too tight, I have to lose the weight to fit into them again.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-26-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #12  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

I will admit to being a total fashionista - my handbags alone are insured, lol.

But regardless of whether you are or arent into caring about fashion...this is my suggested guideline for closet sanity: anything you havent worn in 6mo, separate and store. If you still havent worn it an additional 6mo later, donate or sell or ebay.

The reason for the additional 6 month rule is 1) people with seasons 2) weight fluctuations.

And regardless of when I last wore something, I discard anything damaged (dirty/holes/etc). Some people keep those for working out or whatever, but it makes me feel like a slob (personally) to wear stuff like that.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #13  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Too much to count but...I did get rid of LOTS when I moved recently! And...I only have the size I wear now. I am seriously trying to declutter but hate getting rid of things. Finally coming to the realization that if I haven't worn it in over a year I'm not going to so what is the point in having it.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #14  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

Height: 5'3"

I seem to always be the one who ends up with clothes that other people don't want anymore. I must have at least 15 pairs of dress pants, 5 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of khakis for work, and at least 8 pairs of pajama/workout pants. I have at least 20 t-shirts, and 15 dressy-ish office appropriate shirts, 2 polos for work and 3 button ups for work. I also have 4 sweatshirts, 2 peacoats, 1 parka/anorak/poofy winter coat, 1 spring weather type jacket, and 7 sweaters.

I need textile reduction. And the thing is, I HATE getting rid of stuff. I just feel bad. I really need to go through everything and throw stuff out that isn't in good enough shape to give to Goodwill, and then donate everything else.
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote