Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #1  

Default When?

I have been doing some reading but haven't found an actual answer yet to my question. When is the best time to exercise as far as before or after eating? Some say do it before eating to give your metabolism a jump start. Others say do it after so that your body has something to burn when you exercise. Does anyone have any additional light to shed on this?
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

it really doesnt matter
eat within a one hour window, either direction
whichever makes you feel more comfy

if you eat before, it might give you the energy you need, or maybe make you naseaus
The nutrients your body needs for recovery (which is the main reason for nutrient timing) will be made available as long as you eat *around* the time you exercise.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

What I have read is that when you exercise when your insulin is low - meaning you haven't eaten in a while, your body starts to burn stored fat. If you exercise after eating, your body burns the food that was just eaten - therefore less fat burned.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #4  

The truth is, it's all about calories in vs. calories out. I always suggest eating something before working out, even something small because you've already been fasting for 6-8 hours while you were sleeping. Whether you feel hungry or not, your body is craving fuel. Even an apple, for example, may help get you going. It contains some simple carbs which will be broken down quickly to provide a little boost of energy plus some fiber and other nutrients. Some people may even need more fuel than what is stored in order to get through an intense workout properly. The ratios of what you've been eating in the previous days along with physical activity and other factors may play a part in that.

The logic behind not eating prior to a workout usually refers to first thing in the morning. The idea, as already mentioned, is that you will burn primarily from your fuel stores (stored carbs and fat for example). The intensity of your exercise may also play a role, however, in which is predominately used. Lower intensity exercises tend to utilize more energy from fat, although the total number of calories may not be very high. Higher intensity exercises tend to utilize carbohydrates more, but usually result in a higher total number of calories burned.

At the end of the day, end of the week it all comes down to the questions, "Does a calorie deficit exist (meaning did you burn more calories than you consumed)?" As long as you have a daily/weekly caloric deficit you will be burning fat and losing weight.

In the end, the choice is yours, but personally I always recommend at least a little something prior to exercise in the morning. Remember to wait a bit after eating though before you exercise.
EliteTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I split my morning meal up - 1/2 of it one hour before my workout and the other 1/2 immediately after. Works for me.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote