Weight Loss Surgery - Doctor Consultation

View Full Version : Doctor Consultation

jburress
12-18-2002, 06:28 PM
I have an appointment for a consultation with the doctor 12/31. Maybe things will start happening after that. I'm ready to lose some weight so my back will start feeling better

jiffypop
12-18-2002, 09:44 PM
so, start dishing!!! where did you find this doc? do you know other people who've had the surgery? what pushed you over the edge to make the call??

how long did you have to wait from the time you called to when your appt?

come on jburress... start talking!!!!! inquiring minds want to know.

ok ok ok. i'm just nosy.

newchickontheblock
12-18-2002, 11:22 PM
I want to hear too!!!

peach pit
12-20-2002, 06:29 AM
me three!

peach

jburress
12-28-2002, 07:18 PM
My husband was researching the surgery on the internet and found a doctor in Louisville that specializes in gastric bypass. He had an information forum for people interested in the surgery. We went and my husband (who was not too sure about me having a bypass) was very impressed. I called his office the next day and got an appointment for the 31st. I'll soon hopefully be on my way to a new body!

jiffypop
12-28-2002, 09:53 PM
sounds hopeful!!! is this doc a member of the american society for bariatric surgery? and is there a support group for afterwards? and does he have nutritional guidance and how much protein do you have to eat???

i'm sure there are many more questions that you have.. but you'll get the answers in a few days, if you don't have them already.

just a few more days!!!!!!

jburress
01-11-2003, 10:24 PM
I went to my consultation on 12/31/02. The doctor explained everything very throughly. He kept asking if anyone had any questions. When someone would ask a question, he would go into great detail to explain the answer. I turned in all my informaiton and medical packet and the office gave me a copy of what my PCP's letter needed to cover. They also needed me to get a blood test. I got all that done and turned into the surgeon's office. I got a call from the surgeon's office today and I need to get a psychological exam. What does that involve?

jiffypop
01-11-2003, 10:42 PM
hey jb... glad to see you're back. the psych exam isn't a big deal. they want to know that you're a reasonably stable person with a fair amount of support for this journey, and that you understand and are willing to follow the post surgery diet and care.

it's ok. you're doing fine..

jburress
01-12-2003, 01:35 AM
I haven't replied because 1) I had to go to the emergency room with serious back pain and have been trying to recover from that 2) I had the virus with both ends expelling at the same time 3) Christmas and all that involves 4) getting ready to start back to school with all new classes and 5) helping 1 of my 2 favorite nieces get ready for her wedding.
I'm not too nervous about the psy evaluation, but we live in a very small town and its hard to find someone local to go to so I don't have to travel for 1 and 1/2 hours.
I wish this whole process was over and I had a date for my surgery and looking forward to a new life.

jburress
01-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I had my psychological exam tonight. The doctor said she would have the report to my doctor by the first of the week. As far as I know, this is all the doctor needs before submitting to my insurance. Wish me luck!

1 of our fat people
01-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Hello!

Good luck with your insurance. How did it go at the psych office? I will have to do that at some point myself. I don't have my first appt until Feb 11 with the surgeon.

What all did they do to you or ask you? Should I try to appear to be sane or insane?

Patty

csbutton
01-15-2003, 10:23 PM
You have my wishes for luck! ! ! ! Sounds like you are off to a good start in getting your journey on it's way! ! !

Looking forward to more updates from you! !

jburress
01-18-2003, 11:27 PM
The psychologist had an information letter from my doctor's office that told her what the insurance was looking for. The whole session took 30 minutes including the time she talked to my husband and myself together. According to the doctor's office this was the last thing they needed before submitting to the insurance company.

jiffypop
01-19-2003, 06:15 PM
wow!!!! only 30 minutes?????? mine was 2 hours and VERY detailed...

but congratulations! sounds like the last little piece is done.. what's next? the waiting game? or do you have to submit something yourself?

newchickontheblock
01-19-2003, 09:31 PM
My psych eval was about 20 minutes. Nothing too detailed.

1 of our fat people
01-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Do you have to go to a psychologist that is recommended by your surgeon or will any one do?

Patty

debkay
01-20-2003, 07:09 AM
Patty, usually your surgeon will have one that he/she uses. Mine did, but my insurance company said no, we want you to use this person. Okay, they were paying.

The reason to use the one the surgeon recommends is, they will know exactly what the doc wants to know for insurance approval.

My psych-eval was useless. I never saw a doctor, only the doc's nurse. At the time I thought, "oh, who cares." Well now I care, I'm still dealing with food demons.

Patty, on another note, everytime I see your user name, I smile...........it just tickles me so much.

Debbie

jburress
01-20-2003, 07:48 PM
I asked the nurse at the Doctor's office when she called if they had anyone special they recommened for me to go to, but she told me to ask my PCP for a recommendation. I live 80 miles from the doctor and his office is very accomadating to me.

1 of our fat people
01-20-2003, 08:30 PM
well, it looks like I'm going to be starting over by switching doctors anyway... so thanks for the answers!

Patty... who is forever one of your fat people

jburress
01-28-2003, 09:58 PM
I found out yesterday that the doctor's office submitted all my paperwork to the insurance company 1/17. Hopefully I'll have surgery approval soon!

jiffypop
01-29-2003, 12:40 AM
fingers. toes. other body parts crossed hoping for a quick approval!!!

debkay
01-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Gee Fiona, every post you have (all four of them) on 3fc's, you have linked to the web site selling pills. Could you be a sales person? Just so you know, the kind ladies that run this web site, for those of us who wish to receive and give support, do not allow any selling of any kind on THEIR web site.

jiffypop
01-30-2003, 05:30 PM
oooh!!! i'll report her debk!!! why should we put up with this? this is the second time on this wls board that someone has tried to sell us crap. do they think we're STUPID??? ill informed??? how could they!!! we are such experienced dieters, which is how we got this way to begin with!!!

Suzanne 3FC
01-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks for reporting the post :)

debkay
01-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Jiff LOL, I reported her, before I made the post. Great minds think alike. :lol:

jburress
01-30-2003, 06:35 PM
I reported her also. When we're trying to help and encourage each other we don't need this crap!

jiffypop
01-30-2003, 07:51 PM
we're so good!!!!

csbutton
01-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Gee whiz, why does all the good fun happen when I'm not online.. *SIGH*...
*LOL* Way to get the trolls off the boards there girls! ! ! :)

Jennifer 3FC
01-30-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm too slow! Suzanne must have cut them all out before I got online. Hi Jiffy, Deb, Peach! I miss you!

debkay
01-31-2003, 06:52 AM
Hi Jennifer :wave: Hope your doing well, check in with us every so often and say hey.

Debbie

peach pit
01-31-2003, 07:34 AM
Gosh Darn it!!!!

I hate when I miss all the fun!!!!!! Bet Ruth hates it too!!!

Jennifer!!!!! :wave: Remember we need our estrogen posse...check in when you can, ok?

peach

Ruthxxx
01-31-2003, 08:34 AM
Yup! LindaT PM'd me but Fiona was gone before I could get there. *******s abound! (Did I say that?)

justprazn2
01-31-2003, 05:29 PM
sane vs. insane - I think you should decide by the look of the person doing the eval.

Mine was twenty something, blonde, cute, perky, and all of about 100 lbs. I thought it was a perfect opportunity for me to have a little bit of fun!!!