WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:40 PM   #1  
BirdBrain

Default Problem with points in a recipe

The 11 points per burrito for this recipe just don't seem right. I can't figure out what in the world is the culprit! I've blanked out every ingredient and recalculated and can't get the fat grams or calories down. Is it my MasterCook, me, or is this really an 11 point meal?

Thanks,
Kelly

6 Each Flour Tortillas
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Small Onion -- peeled and chopped
1 Clove Garlic -- peeled and minced
12 Ounces Canned Chicken Breast
7 Ounces Canned Black Beans -- (half 14 oz. can)
1 Cup Cooked Long-grained rice
14 Ounces Diced Tomato
4 Ounces Monterey Jack Cheese -- shredded
1 bunch fresh cilantro or green onions -- chopped for garnish

Wrap tortillas in foil, place in oven and heat to 400° F.

Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, breaking up meat slightly. Stir in beans, rice and tomatoes.

Unwrap warm tortillas. Spoon about 3/4 cup filling in the center of a tortilla, leaving an inch at either end. Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded cheese on top, fold in 1-inch ends then roll tortilla around filling. Place in a large shallow baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of burritos. Cover with foil and heat in oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and filling is hot. For a garnish, sprinkle with cilantro or scallion.

Per serving: 523 Calories (kcal); 18g Total Fat; (31% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 52mg Cholesterol; 738mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
Old 12-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Depends on a few things...

1) size and points per tortilla and if they are fat-free, reduced fat or regular
2) fat-free, low-fat or regular cheese (cheese is 3-4 points per ounce depending....)
3) if the 12 ounces of chicken is before or after cooking.....

It is quite possible that the 11 points is correct. Here is my favorite burrito recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *
Beef, Bean and Cheese Burritos - 5 Points

Recipe By : Kelly Shields
Serving Size : 7 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Mexican

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
7 sheets 12 x 18-inch foil
7 98% fat free flour tortillas, large
16 ounces 96% lean ground round
16 ounces fat free refried beans, Old El Paso
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup 2% cheddar cheese, Kraft

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

2. Center one tortilla on each sheet of foil.

3. Combine beef, beans, cheese, onions and salsa.

4. Evenly spoon 1/2 cup of filling onto tortilla. Wrap burrito style and place seam side down on foil.

5. Bring up sides of foil and double fold. Double fold ends to form packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside packet.

6. Bake 20 minutes on cookie sheet in oven.

Calories: 298.1
Fat grams: 4.3
Fiber grams: 6.6

W/W Points: 5

Serve with fat-free sour cream, 2% cheddar cheese and additional salsa if desired (remember the points).
Old 12-17-2002, 11:08 PM   #3  
BirdBrain

Thanks Kelly,

It seems like the only two culprits COULD be the tortillas and cheese.

As a general rule, I don't use lowfat cheese --I can't find it anywhere here. (Except American cheese slices.) And that hasn't seemed to be a diet bust.

The canned chicken is 1/2 gram of fat for the 12.5 ounce can by the way. I was so thrilled with that I've been looking for chicken recipes to use it. I get it at Costco --Kirkland brand. Can't beat that.

I look forward to trying your recipe! Thanks!

Kelly
Closed Thread