Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #1  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Any suggestions for quick, FILLING breakfasts?

Hi -

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick, filling breakfasts...preferably portable (to work) or microwaveable (at the office)? And preferably something that includes both proteins and carbs?

I start work at 6 am and usually eat breakfast at my desk at work. By 8:30 or 9, I'm hungry again, so I usually eat some string cheese, cottage cheese or yogurt. I just am having a hard time finding foods to keep me full during the day at work...fresh fruit usually makes me hungrier though I don't know why.

On the weekends, I make scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1 egg white) and have that with 2 slices whole wheat reduced calorie bread, and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge. That does a great job of filling me up.

We have a cafeteria at work, and they'll make yummy Egg Beater and veggie omelettes...but at $3/day for an omelette (and then lunch later), it's getting expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

My go to breakfast of late is greek yogurt, with a little honey (like a 1/4 of a teaspoon), some sort of fruit in it (the fruit packed in juice packs work great, as does frozen or fresh berries), and a little fiber one cereal stirred in. this keeps me full, and tastes great.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #3  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

A "second" for Greek yogurt - I do the Fage with fruit or honey included on the side of the pkg to add in. I also do some orange juice on ice and coffee with a dash of 1/2 and 1/2. And just this week I added in a boiled egg at 10am-ish. Very filling - but I start work at 8am - I have a feeling that if I started/ate breakfast at 6am, I'd be starving by lunch (almost 6 hrs in between eating). Have you considered waiting until 7am to eat breakfast?
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

You can microwave eggs, it's really fast and easy.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #5  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Also, I have a friend who does two eggs with a little cheese each morning - she brings the eggs to work raw in a microwaveable container and microwaves it each morning - I think she nukes it for 30 seconds and then stops and stirs and then nukes it again. That would be similar to your weekend routine.

(jinx, Gale)

Last edited by ilbnej; 03-18-2011 at 09:17 PM.
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

These are my breakfasts:

Greek Yogurt- sometimes I add fiber one or grapenuts to it.

Banana with Peanut Butter

Think Thin Protein Bar

Power Crunch Protein Bar

Protein Shake
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #7  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

I do the yogurt thing too sometimes with fruit and fiber one in it. I'm not working now, but when I was I had a fav go to portable breakfast: I have a one egg pan in which I cook 1 serving of egg beaters in such a way as to make a round of egg, I would put this egg round on a multigrain sandwich thin with a slice of kraft fat free cheddar. Sometimes I would add some canadian bacon. I would make my breakfast sandwich the night before, wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a ziploc and leave it in the fridge with my lunch. When I got to work I'd take it out of the ziploc, but leave it in the paper towel and microwave it for about 30 seconds. I kept cans of V8 at work and had one of those with it. Yummy and very filling.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233/200/145

Height: 5'6

You could make your oatmeal the night before, but make it a little loose. put the oatmeal in a container and heat it in the morning we you get to work. Once you put in the microwave the water will release itself and it will be tighter. You can also take a fruit with you and put it over the top. I do this all the time. ppl really under estimate oatmeal, honestly it does the trick with a half a cup and fruit!
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

I'm with oatmeal!

I would take it dry in a microwavable bowl. 1/4 cup oats + 1/2 cup water, nuked for 2 minutes is wonderful, cheap and filling.
When I'm feeling really adventurous (haha), I add about 4 oz set yogurt on top, and sprinkle a generous tsp of a ground flaxseed and crushed nuts mix plus a skinny tsp of real sugar. It tastes like an oatmeal sundae!!!!!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #10  
Pauline

S/C/G: 222/220/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Burritos

Make some breakfast burritos the night before.

Whole wheat with eggbeaters, salsa, diced microwaved potato yummy! You can microwave in paper towel at work, eat in car, heat up at home and eat on way out door...do recommend using tinfoil or something once you heat it up to make sure it STAYS.

OTW super for those of us who hate oatmeal with fiery passion.
One year from now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #11  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Thank you! Thank you!

Your suggestions, especially the egg/egg beaters ones are GREAT! I didn't know you could microwave eggs from raw. I just knew you could microwave the frozen WW egg breakfasts.

The one time I tried Greek yogurt, I wasn't impressed. But I will try it again. Thanks for the sundae/parfait ideas.

I'm going to the grocery store later...armed with your great, yummy sounding ideas!

I welcome any additional suggestions y'all might have!!

Last edited by diyana; 03-19-2011 at 08:56 AM.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 226/215/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyana View Post
Hi -

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick, filling breakfasts...preferably portable (to work) or microwaveable (at the office)? And preferably something that includes both proteins and carbs?

... I just am having a hard time finding foods to keep me full during the day at work...fresh fruit usually makes me hungrier though I don't know why.
You've answered your own question! Fruit is carbs and without the addition of protein, it won't hold off your hunger! Try apple slices with peanut butter. Or cut up fruit with string cheese. Or berries and almonds in yogurt.
jessy 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/243.2/175

Height: 5'2

One of my favorite breakfast is no sugar maple and brown sugar oatmeal---microwave per directions on package. Add one tablespoon peanut butter.

I also add one package of splenda. To me it taste like a no bake cookie--just without the chocolate.

VERY VERY filling.
myhaloisintheshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 260/180/145

personally I find a cup of rice cereal or cheerios and 3/4 cup of skim milk with some sliced strawberries thrown in really fills me up. No idea why but any other kind of cereal minus the fruit and Im hungry the rest of the morning. but adding the friut really helps.
hilariousness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #15  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

There's a thread somewhere with a recipe for making frozen breakfast burritos. You make a huge batch and then just microwave them in the morning.
Search for "frozen breakfast burritos" to find it.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote