100 lb. Club - Any suggestions for quick, FILLING breakfasts?

diyana
03-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Hi -

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick, filling breakfasts...preferably portable (to work) or microwaveable (at the office)? And preferably something that includes both proteins and carbs?

I start work at 6 am and usually eat breakfast at my desk at work. By 8:30 or 9, I'm hungry again, so I usually eat some string cheese, cottage cheese or yogurt. I just am having a hard time finding foods to keep me full during the day at work...fresh fruit usually makes me hungrier though I don't know why.

On the weekends, I make scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1 egg white) and have that with 2 slices whole wheat reduced calorie bread, and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge. That does a great job of filling me up.

We have a cafeteria at work, and they'll make yummy Egg Beater and veggie omelettes...but at $3/day for an omelette (and then lunch later), it's getting expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

CanadianCutie
03-18-2011, 10:09 PM
My go to breakfast of late is greek yogurt, with a little honey (like a 1/4 of a teaspoon), some sort of fruit in it (the fruit packed in juice packs work great, as does frozen or fresh berries), and a little fiber one cereal stirred in. this keeps me full, and tastes great.

ilbnej
03-18-2011, 10:14 PM
A "second" for Greek yogurt - I do the Fage with fruit or honey included on the side of the pkg to add in. I also do some orange juice on ice and coffee with a dash of 1/2 and 1/2. And just this week I added in a boiled egg at 10am-ish. Very filling - but I start work at 8am - I have a feeling that if I started/ate breakfast at 6am, I'd be starving by lunch (almost 6 hrs in between eating). Have you considered waiting until 7am to eat breakfast?

Gale02
03-18-2011, 10:15 PM
You can microwave eggs, it's really fast and easy.

ilbnej
03-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Also, I have a friend who does two eggs with a little cheese each morning - she brings the eggs to work raw in a microwaveable container and microwaves it each morning - I think she nukes it for 30 seconds and then stops and stirs and then nukes it again. That would be similar to your weekend routine.

(jinx, Gale)

stacygee
03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
These are my breakfasts:

Greek Yogurt- sometimes I add fiber one or grapenuts to it.

Banana with Peanut Butter

Think Thin Protein Bar

Power Crunch Protein Bar

Protein Shake

FitGirlyGirl
03-18-2011, 10:59 PM
I do the yogurt thing too sometimes with fruit and fiber one in it. I'm not working now, but when I was I had a fav go to portable breakfast: I have a one egg pan in which I cook 1 serving of egg beaters in such a way as to make a round of egg, I would put this egg round on a multigrain sandwich thin with a slice of kraft fat free cheddar. Sometimes I would add some canadian bacon. I would make my breakfast sandwich the night before, wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a ziploc and leave it in the fridge with my lunch. When I got to work I'd take it out of the ziploc, but leave it in the paper towel and microwave it for about 30 seconds. I kept cans of V8 at work and had one of those with it. Yummy and very filling.

PrimeTime
03-18-2011, 11:05 PM
You could make your oatmeal the night before, but make it a little loose. put the oatmeal in a container and heat it in the morning we you get to work. Once you put in the microwave the water will release itself and it will be tighter. You can also take a fruit with you and put it over the top. I do this all the time. ppl really under estimate oatmeal, honestly it does the trick with a half a cup and fruit!

Rosinante
03-19-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm with oatmeal!

I would take it dry in a microwavable bowl. 1/4 cup oats + 1/2 cup water, nuked for 2 minutes is wonderful, cheap and filling.
When I'm feeling really adventurous (haha), I add about 4 oz set yogurt on top, and sprinkle a generous tsp of a ground flaxseed and crushed nuts mix plus a skinny tsp of real sugar. It tastes like an oatmeal sundae!!!!!

One year from now
03-19-2011, 05:22 AM
Make some breakfast burritos the night before.

Whole wheat with eggbeaters, salsa, diced microwaved potato yummy! You can microwave in paper towel at work, eat in car, heat up at home and eat on way out door...do recommend using tinfoil or something once you heat it up to make sure it STAYS.

OTW super for those of us who hate oatmeal with fiery passion. :^:

diyana
03-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Thank you! Thank you!

Your suggestions, especially the egg/egg beaters ones are GREAT! I didn't know you could microwave eggs from raw. I just knew you could microwave the frozen WW egg breakfasts.

The one time I tried Greek yogurt, I wasn't impressed. But I will try it again. Thanks for the sundae/parfait ideas.

I'm going to the grocery store later...armed with your great, yummy sounding ideas!

I welcome any additional suggestions y'all might have!!

jessy 49
03-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi -

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick, filling breakfasts...preferably portable (to work) or microwaveable (at the office)? And preferably something that includes both proteins and carbs?

... I just am having a hard time finding foods to keep me full during the day at work...fresh fruit usually makes me hungrier though I don't know why.

You've answered your own question! ;) Fruit is carbs and without the addition of protein, it won't hold off your hunger! Try apple slices with peanut butter. Or cut up fruit with string cheese. Or berries and almonds in yogurt.

myhaloisintheshop
03-19-2011, 12:04 PM
One of my favorite breakfast is no sugar maple and brown sugar oatmeal---microwave per directions on package. Add one tablespoon peanut butter.

I also add one package of splenda. To me it taste like a no bake cookie--just without the chocolate.

VERY VERY filling.

hilariousness
03-19-2011, 04:18 PM
personally I find a cup of rice cereal or cheerios and 3/4 cup of skim milk with some sliced strawberries thrown in really fills me up. No idea why but any other kind of cereal minus the fruit and Im hungry the rest of the morning. but adding the friut really helps.

Goddess Jessica
03-19-2011, 08:09 PM
There's a thread somewhere with a recipe for making frozen breakfast burritos. You make a huge batch and then just microwave them in the morning.
Search for "frozen breakfast burritos" to find it.

twinmommaplusone
03-20-2011, 02:20 AM
CHOBANI .....THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST BRAND FOR GREEK YOGURT, OMG-SO FREAKING GOOD!

Love all the ideas, oatmeat, yogurt, dry cereal (fiber filling!!!!) and by God Woman- if you are hungry EAT...but just make it healthy stuff, apples, veggies etc!

diyana
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. I actually had a fabulous and very filling breakfast this morning. 1/2 c. Southwestern Egg Beaters that I microwaved for 45 seconds, then stirred, then cooked for another 30 seconds or so. I added 1 Tbsp. of reduced fat shredded mexican blend cheese (cheddar and monterey jack), and served that on a corn tortilla that I heated for 20 seconds in the microwave. Very easy and very filling. I was satisfifed for over 4 hours!

GirlyGirlSebas
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Try making a crockpot of steelcut oatmeal one night. You can refrigerate it and only take a portion in a microwave bowl to work with you each morning. A dash of splenda, some cinnamon and you're golden. This filled me up until noon.

kallismom
03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I also do the yogurt, and second Chobani.

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup frozen bluberries - they thaw in like 20 seconds under running water and are so juicy.
1/2 medium banana
1/4 cup dry cereal
1 T almonds

DELICIOUS!

ChrissyBean
03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I've brought oatmeal before. 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup milk, some cinnamon, a tsp. brown sugar, some raisins...just nuke for about 90 seconds.

raebeaR
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
You've gotten some great suggestions, but I have to say that oatmeal just doesn't do it for me at all -- I'm hungry for something else within an hour.

Here's a favorite recipe I stumbled upon when I accidentally left some ingredients out of another recipe on here. I have these for breakfast nearly every day, high protein, very filling and they last a long time! Plus you can make a dozen at a time, refrigerate and just grab them when you want them on your way out the door.

Muffin Quiches

3 slices lean ham, diced
1 cup diced green, orange or red peppers
chopped mushrooms, to taste (I use about a cup)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (use low fat if you wish)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/3 cups low fat cottage cheese
8 eggs, beaten (use Eggbeaters if you prefer)

Preheat oven to 375F.

Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or olive oil. Microwave chopped mushrooms for a couple of minutes to cook down and remove moisture. Divide ham, peppers, mushrooms and onions evenly between 12 muffin cups. Divide grated cheddar and Parmesan cheeses between 12 muffin cups.

Beat eggs and cottage cheese together. Divide egg mixture evenly between 12 muffin cups. Salt and pepper to taste.

Place muffin tin on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the quiches are puffed and golden. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before removing.

To reheat after refrigerating, microwave on high for approximately 1 1/2 minutes.

Voila -- instant hearty breakfast for 6 days! I usually have 2 of these with a whole grain English muffin and I'm good to go for hours and hours.

Calories: 159 per quiche.

Pandora123a
03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I like to cut a fresh cucumber and eat the slices. The crunch is satisfying, they have great "chew" and I feel very full afterwards. Perhaps not so much as a breakfast, but certainly as an office break. (You can slice them and put them in a baggie.) I eat them with the skin which is the only part with nutrition!

Tinky
03-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Chobani does indeed ROCK.

I've been taking just a peanut butter sammich on wheat for breakfast on the way to work, but looking for something different. Tomorrow morning I'm trying something different. I made 1 serving of oatmeal w/ 1 TBS of maple syrup 1 TBS of ground flax. I might add a few nuts to it when I warm it up in the AM.

MusicalJess
03-23-2011, 05:36 AM
I eat on the train every morning. So I have a similar problem. I generally have some fruit and a cereal bar. One day I took a little tub with muesli in and added one of those little bottles of yogurt to it. That was really nice. The only problem I had was that I had to carry the tup around with me all day, which is a pain. But if you're in an office that would work ok.