Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Default Cymbalta has greatly reduced my apetite, but, the scale isn't budging :(

I am happy that I no longer seem to have those ravenous feelings of hunger that have often caused me to overeat, even in public situations where I felt people were being judgmental of what was on my plate. Sigh.

I recently went to a buffet where I have, in the not so distant past, eaten at least 2 plates full of food, promptly got too full and nauseous, and threw up---mainly because of the extreme feeling of being too full.

But now that my appetite has decreased immensely (sometimes I can subsist on just my coffee-drink and a toasted bagel from 8am-5pm) my weight does not seem to be wanting to do the same. Granted, I have been tracking my calories, and even though the volume of food is down, the calories are still easily over 1800 per day. Sigh.

Is anyone else dealing with what they thought would be a great side-effect of the meds---loss of appetite? Only to find that being not hungry isn't making their weight decrease as much as they would have thought previously?

And how do you overcompensate for it? I am thinking that not being hungry is a good thing, and to instead use it to have just protein and veggies and fruit, and see if I still feel non-hungry at around 1500 calories or so.

Please wish me luck as I am feeling pretty sad about my weight gain, and I just feel sort of out of control in my life in general. Getting my weight below 300lbs would be a great boost to my damaged self-esteem for sure.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #2  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I got a CPAP last year for my sleep apnea, so I started sleeping really well and saw a noticeable difference in my appetite/desire to eat too much. I found it very interesting, and definitely was eating less for about a month with no weight loss. Still eating my usual stuff (pizza, takeout), just less of it. I would feel very stuffed on 2 pieces of pizza, as opposed to the 4 I would have eaten previously.

I may have been able to maintain a little better, and not be constantly gaining a lot of weight if I just left it at that. But I decided about a month later to see what would happen if I really got started on a healthy way of eating, using my new smaller appetite as a tool in the game. I've done nothing but lose weight since, started in late May of last year, and well on my way to 100lb loss in that year.

Having a smaller appetite is a great side effect of your med, see if you can use that to your advantage! But unfortunately, I have found that just that alone does not get you out of the work involved with a healthy lifestyle.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmb View Post
. I may have been able to maintain a little better, and not be constantly gaining a lot of weight if I just left it at that. But I decided about a month later to see what would happen if I really got started on a healthy way of eating, using my new smaller appetite as a tool in the game. I've done nothing but lose weight since, started in late May of last year, and well on my way to 100lb loss in that year.

Having a smaller appetite is a great side effect of your med, see if you can use that to your advantage! But unfortunately, I have found that just that alone does not get you out of the work involved with a healthy lifestyle.
Thank you! I will definitely take your advice and use the lower appetite and incorporate it with eating more fruit and veggies, and upping my protein considerably. I am also going to have to cut out the sugar drinks, which is my problem. And, I need to start back to doing yoga at home. Even just 10 minutes at a time to build up my stamina again.

Hugs to everyone----you all are so supportive!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #4  

I have to fight against the urge to NOT eat, because that is why my brain tells me is the right thing to do....especially since I have had such a problem with pigging out when stressed. NOT pigging out seems like a great thing for me, but it seems as if it is not helping with the weightloss.

I am definitely incorporating more fruits and veggies into my food plan and I am also increasing my protein intake.

Last edited by milliondollarbbw; 03-22-2011 at 10:39 PM.