Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Stuff you never expected

What are things you never expected about your new body?

For me:

-I never expected to look at a pair of size 8 pants and think they look too big, let alone to have that thought be correct.
-I never expected, or really more anticipated, what loose skin would actually be like. it's going away, but it's weird how it is.
-Discomfort sitting on hard chairs because my butt is bony now.
-Being able to feel and see bones I had forgotten existed.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I remember telling a friend I bought a pair of size 10 jeans , I said I had never worn size 10 jeans and she said well, they are too big. She was right I exchanged them for size 8 and now I wear size 6. I would never have believed that to be possible.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I never expected my pair of size 10 goal pants that looked like little girl's jeans to my 235 pound eyes to eventually end up in the too-big pile.

I didn't expect my feet to shrink back down to AAAA narrow! Stupid $100+ shoes.

I didn't expect my high school class ring to be too big.

I didn't expect my breasts to feel like they were filled with air. Did they before when I was thin?

I didn't expect to have a really hard time shaving under my arms, missing patches, even though I was warned here!

I didn't expect to love caressing my bones. LOL! I love to sit and caress my shoulder bones, my collar bones and my biceps. It's like I have to memorize them because I'm afraid they'll be gone again tomorrow.

I didn't expect to love shopping again.

I didn't expect my libido to return.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #4  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
-I never expected, or really more anticipated, what loose skin would actually be like. it's going away, but it's weird how it is.
Can I ask you about the part "it's going away"? Does that mean surgery or can you work on it (exercise etc)? That is the only thing I am terribly afraid of! I don't think I can deal with it and surgery won't be an option I'd consider. Thanks!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #5  
K16
Still Learning

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

*I now hurt myself more-- my hip bones are quite prominent as well as my butt being bonier. I'm always bumping into something or sitting for too long and realize I don't have the same cushion anymore.

*My jean size is so much smaller

*I look so much older/mature (i'm 20 and always looked like I was a young teen because of my chubby baby face)
K16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #6  

Exercise some, but also my skin is catching up with the loss slowly but surely. I would keep it and stay thin over gaining back any day, though.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Yes definitely the jeans thing...I am still in denial that I need a size 6...my 8's are baggy and I have a few pair of 10's I still wear, despite being able to pull them off done up.

I didn't really know what loose skin meant, now I do. argh. Hoping with time to have your experience though Rachael!

Eliana - definitely with you on the shaving the armpits thing, it is such a challenge!!

I do love feeling my bones too.

I am always trying to catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror or a window...the old me would have avoided that at all costs!

I didn't expect that I would want to be so active as I lost weight, exercise has always been a grumpy affair...now when I walk the dog, I can't seemt o walk fast enough so I want to run! And I do!

Last edited by sept15lija; 03-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #8  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

I never expected to be called "little" or "tiny"...especially at 5'8" haha

I didnt expect to have strangers compliment my figure or ask for fitness and health advice.

I definitely didnt expect to get hit on at work.

I didnt expect to have trouble finding clothes...size small seems to be popular and always sold out.

I didnt expect to have to keep pulling my size 4 pants up...not to conceal a fat roll but because they keep falling down.

I didnt expect to look in the mirror and not recognize the person looking back at me.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I thought of a good one. I never thought I'd sit on my tub in front of my mirror putting on socks with my belly exposed, glance up at the mirror and not find rolls on the belly. I sat staring for a while truly not at all disgusted with my folded over belly. Yeah, there was a roll, but it was more of "supposed to be there" roll.

I never thought I'd look in the mirror and be satisfied, especially not 10 pounds before I even hit goal.

Last edited by Eliana; 03-18-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #10  

Oh, I am jealous of that one. I still have a pouchy bottom belly roll that is heinous.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #11  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I didn't expect to not have any idea what my style is??

I could go on for an hour on this thread....every single day there are things that I never expected. It has been an odd and joyous experience for sure.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #12  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

LOL, I am SO glad I am not the only one that loves to feel my bones. I am almost obsessed with them now, actually. A few more ---

I never expected that I'd love to sweat when working out. I love the way it feels when it drips down my neck and back and when I am done I'll go into the bathroom to see if my shirt looks wet. I have NO idea why I like this. LOL

I never expected that I'd be able to stick to my weight loss journey. My resolve has NEVER been this strong before and it's not even close to waning.

I never expected to crave salads.

I never expected I could go more than 2 months without having fast food.

Most of all, I never expected to feel like THIS again -- happy, confident and self assured.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
Oh, I am jealous of that one. I still have a pouchy bottom belly roll that is heinous.
Remember that we all hold our fat in different places (i.e. why magazines recommend clothing for pear shape vs apple shape). Forgive yourself if you never lose the belly roll. At 125 lbs, 5'10", I have a muffin top. Yes, I had 4 kids (9 years ago) but I know I can't possibly do anything more about it. I have 15% body fat and do 600 reps of ab work 3-5 times a week. What the heck, it's just how God made me, so I look at it as something directly from God, and I can get over it. Love yourself the way you're made.

Also, I never expected to read your types of posts here! I have a client who lost 200 lbs in 14 months who is dealing with his excess skin issue, so I was reading here to be able to help him. Crack me up that all those times I bumped my elbow on my hip (ouch!!!), or had to stand instead of sit in the stands because my butt hurt, or that my butt kills the day after biking was a special privelege (yeah right) of being fit.

I am thrilled to say to you all, welcome to my world. LOVE love LOVE every minute of it.

Continue to caress your own muscles and bones. Every morning. And use that to gage your caloric intake. You will immediately be able to feel an extra gained pound or so and you can "get on it" before relapsing. Plus, it just helps to love yourself and keep you motivated.

Congrats again on your lifestyle change. You are inspiring beyond words.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I never expected ...
to enjoy working out and sweating profusely.
to love shopping for clothes.
to look in the mirror and like what I see
to have men actually checking me out! Lol
to feel sexy again.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I never expected to see my hipbones again! Got such a shock a couple weeks ago when they appeared out of... nowhere!

I never expected to become so vain (I guess that's how I discovered my hipbones had come back... too much time scrutineering in front of the mirror)

I never expected to have so much more energy... sometimes I feel like I'm just buzzing with loads of zing.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote