Old 03-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

Question Men and protein-im very confused

Hi, another woman here intruding into the mens forum, but i have a question for you guys.
My fiance is about to join the military, so he's trying to get into better shape for basic. He's not fat but hes kinda chunky for his height (hes 5'10 and about 190 pounds). He's not overweight for the military but he's very close to the mark (i think he can only be like 198 or something like that). We've started going running and i've been trying to get him to eat a little bit healthier because hes a video game nerd and has never had a lot of physical activity in his life. His legs are having trouble adjusting to going running and he frequently talks about his legs being too tired and that they feel like they are going to give out while running. It's like his leg muscles just can't keep up with his sudden exercise.
I realize that he still eats a lot of carb and calorie filled foods when im not around to cook but even with running and him picking slightly healthier options he's not losing weight.
The other day i suggested that he get some protein shakes, because i know that my brother has always used protein shakes when he works out a lot to get into shape but my boyfriend just responded with "no, protein will just make me gain weight and im already too close to the max weight limit"
I know that protein will help him build muscle, which essentially weighs more than fat, but shouldnt protein help him get into better shape (and help build his muscles to help him run), which will in turn help him be a healthier weight?
im confused lol
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Protein shakes won't make him gain weight IMO. Carbs will- he should reduce carbs and increase protein/veggies.

Sounds like what he needs to do is some weight exercises for his legs to strengthen his muscles. So maybe one day do a run, one day leg exercises, then the next day rest. I figure since he's military he has access to a gym.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #3  

Muscle weighs exactly the same as fat. How could it weigh more when a pound is a pound? It takes up less volume so you will looked toned. Eating protein does not produce muscle - exercise does. If he was a couch potato, running might be too much to start with. To gain muscle, you need weights, not cardio so much.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Just a reminder that 3FC is a weight loss community seeking advice from other users who are also on a weight loss journey. We cherish different points of view, but seek to avoid arguments and statements that could be interpreted as personal attacks.

The OP questions whether protein shakes will help her fiance get in shape.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
The OP questions whether protein shakes will help her fiance get in shape.
It depends on whether protein intake is currently sufficient. Since the protein needs of sedentary people who occasionally jog is very low the answer is probably no.

Utilizing the current USRDA guidelines the finance needs aproximately 70g of protein intake per day.

If the finance already meets these requirements adding additional protein calories would likely have the net effect of additional fat gain since protein shakes are not very satiating and unlikely to affect the rest of the dietary habits already in place.

Best of luck to your finance in boot camp.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #6  

I have just started trying to lose weight and I was a couch potato too. I am doing Wii Fit right now for 30-45 mins a day and doing a low carb diet. Lost 5 lbs in 6 days now.
Chris
csrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #7  
Fit Jeff

S/C/G: 301/195

Height: 5'11"

It's very difficult for the body to convert protein to fat(it is possible but it would take alot of protein.) and if he is working out it will actually help with muscle gain. I know when I was in the military they did not allow protein supplementation though.
shakespearestoe is offline   Reply With Quote