General Diet Plans and Questions - Help! I need to lose 50lbs in 4 months for my wedding!

Beka30
03-17-2011, 03:53 AM
hi I am getting married in september, I weight 225lbs and im 5'6, and i need to lose at least 50 pounds in four months, i did the whole BMR calculator and stuff and calculated that i need to burn 845.35 calories just exercising! and the other rest with healthy eating. How the heck do i burn that much in 1 day!? and how much do i burn every mile i run? im not a big runner so can anyone tell me how to do this and maybe suggest something other then running?

Rosinante
03-17-2011, 04:33 AM
Congratulations on your marriage!

1. I should aim for 'as much as I can' rather than '50lbs'. It's a big ask, 50lbs, and if you make 40, you'd feel you'd failed, rather than be able to be happy at the huge 40.
2. You need to address you eating, your calorie intake. I've no idea how to burn 845.35 calories through exercise - maybe it also includes calories just to exist?
3. It's 6 months to September, you have loner than you thought!
4. If you put your start weight into a programme like Sparkpeople or dailyplate or Dietpower, it will give you a suggested calorie budget to work to.
5. Write down everything you eat - if you use one of these programmes, it's very easy to keep track.

Exercise is important in weightloss but what you eat is the key.
Good luck!

fatferretfanatic
03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Rosinante is correct and has some great advice. The advice I would add is invest in a heartrate monitor. Those really help me keep track of my calories burned as well as my heartrate.

bargoo
03-17-2011, 09:43 AM
You can start right now ! Get on a low calorie diet and couple that with exercize. And as Rosinante has said don't get hung up on numbers , just do the best you can.Good luck !

Joy2MeNu
03-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Yes, you can lose that amount of weight in that time with minimal exercise. Feel free to private message me if you want more info. I have lost 10 lbs in the past 10 days.

fitbyforty
03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Spinning will burn 800 calories an hour.

Eliana
03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
You don't list any stats, so it's tough to say and I hesitate to suggest this, but hands down, HIIT is a fantastic fat burning exercise. Whereas steady state cardio burns calories while you're doing it, HIIT ignites your body's furnace and keeps the calorie burn elevated for up to 48 hours after you're done. I highly recommend doing some research on it.

You'll see lots of people saying they are doing HIIT, but they're actually doing intervals. Intervals are awesome too! These also elevate the calorie burn even when finished. True HIIT is going ALL OUT so far that you can not sustain the activity for more than about 20 seconds. So you might sprint 20 seconds and jog 80 seconds repeating 6-12 times.

This is by far the most intense workout I've ever done and you're finished in a very short period of time. You should only do this 2-3 times per week though and it's not for everyone.

Beka30
03-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the replys...i just feel soo fat..and i especially dont want to feel that way on my wedding day..i was never this big until i got pregnant..**** i was never over 200lbs and now its killing me and i will do anything to get it off...can anyone else suggest something that can take it off in 4 months..and i know my wedding is 6 months away but i still need to shop for my dress and i refuse to until i lose at least 50lbs...

indiblue
03-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Congrats on the wedding!!! So exciting.

One of the mantras that frequently surfaces on this site and is worth repeating is "losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise." What will make you lose weight is eating less and moving more.... in other words burning more calories throughout the day than you consume. I don't think the 845.35 calories you referenced is how much you need to burn each exercise session, I think it's the calorie deficit they recommend you have each day (in other words, consume 845.35 fewer calorie each day than you exert). This means reducing your calories, portion sizes, amount of sweets and fats you consume, increasing lean proteins and veggies, etc. Then you can also introduce some sort of exercise to help generate that deficit- the general rule of thumb is 30 minutes 5 times a week.

Good luck!!

Beka30
03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
indiblue,
i know this may be a dumb question but what are lean proteins? And do i need to count calories or something? im kinda confused and i want to start asap so i can really lose this weight...thanks:)

Congrats on the wedding!!! So exciting.

One of the mantras that frequently surfaces on this site and is worth repeating is "losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise." What will make you lose weight is eating less and moving more.... in other words burning more calories throughout the day than you consume. I don't think the 845.35 calories you referenced is how much you need to burn each exercise session, I think it's the calorie deficit they recommend you have each day (in other words, consume 845.35 fewer calorie each day than you exert). This means reducing your calories, portion sizes, amount of sweets and fats you consume, increasing lean proteins and veggies, etc. Then you can also introduce some sort of exercise to help generate that deficit- the general rule of thumb is 30 minutes 5 times a week.

Good luck!!

jmko
03-17-2011, 11:14 PM
lean proteins are like chicken breast, turkey breast, ground beef that's 97% lean, fish, tofu, etc.

Beka30
03-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Joy2MeNu,

Im unsure of how to private message someone but can you tell me over this message board or show me how to private message someone? Im very interested in how to lose the weight like you are..im pretty desperate at this point..thanks:D

Yes, you can lose that amount of weight in that time with minimal exercise. Feel free to private message me if you want more info. I have lost 10 lbs in the past 10 days.

Beka30
03-17-2011, 11:22 PM
jmko,

do they need to be cooked a certain way?

lean proteins are like chicken breast, turkey breast, ground beef that's 97% lean, fish, tofu, etc.

indiblue
03-17-2011, 11:54 PM
And do i need to count calories or something? im kinda confused and i want to start asap so i can really lose this weight...thanks:)

Here is something I posted on another forum for someone who had a similar question:

Basically weight loss boils down to calories/energy consumed < calories/energy expended. You have to eat less than you burn off. I know this may sound wayyy dumbed down but when you hear a swirl of atkins-lowcarb-highprotein-medifast-fatsmashers- intuitive eating, etc etc that very simple equation gets lost.

Weight loss is your GOAL and how you do it is your TOOL. The tool you chose is up to you and depends on your own health factors, personality, schedule, etc etc. The bottom line is you need to pick a tool that will get you to calories consumed < calories expended.

For me, I do calorie count. It's the simplest, most flexible way for me to monitor the number of calories going into my body. I also have taken other steps, such as reducing fat intake, reducing salt/sugar intake, eating whole (aka unprocessed foods) almost exclusively, etc.

For others, it may be going on Atkins to reduce their carb intake, going on weight watchers and using a point system, etc. These are all just tools to get to calories/energy eaten < calories/energy expended. Perhaps learn more about these different tools and pick one that you think fits you personally best. You can always change tools (switch from calorie counting to South Beach to intuitive eating, etc) if one isn't working for you. Bottom line should always be the same though: Move more, eat less :D

indiblue
03-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Also, it's awesome that a previous poster has already lost 10 lbs. Just so you set reasonable expectations, it's very typical to lose the first few pounds very quickly and then for the weight loss to slow. 10 lbs in the first 10 days of a diet is very rapid and from what I've seen on this board the rate of loss slows after the first few weeks or month. To lose 1 lb of fat you have to burn 3500 more calories than you consume. Most people aim for consuming 500 calories per day LESS than what they burn. For example, if based on their activity level, size, age, etc they burn 2000 calories a day, if they want to create a 500 calorie deficit they will only eat 1500 calories a day. (This is why some people use calorie counting to ensure they are only consuming that and no more). Over the course of the week 500 each day adds up to 3500 (500/day x 7 days a week), which equals 1 lb of weight lost. I think when you used your BMR calculator and it gave you the 840 number this is the deficit it recommended you try to create each day. Those with more to lose lose the first few pounds even quicker because they are creating a bigger deficit. Most people lose at a rate of 1-2 lbs a week.

Beka30
03-18-2011, 12:09 AM
indiblue,

how do i know how many calories i am burning a day with exercise?

Also, it's awesome that a previous poster has already lost 10 lbs. Just so you set reasonable expectations, it's very typical to lose the first few pounds very quickly and then for the weight loss to slow. 10 lbs in the first 10 days of a diet is very rapid and from what I've seen on this board the rate of loss slows after the first few weeks or month. To lose 1 lb of fat you have to burn 3500 more calories than you consume. Most people aim for consuming 500 calories per day LESS than what they burn. For example, if based on their activity level, size, age, etc they burn 2000 calories a day, if they want to create a 500 calorie deficit they will only eat 1500 calories a day. (This is why some people use calorie counting to ensure they are only consuming that and no more). Over the course of the week 500 each day adds up to 3500 (500/day x 7 days a week), which equals 1 lb of weight lost. I think when you used your BMR calculator and it gave you the 840 number this is the deficit it recommended you try to create each day. Those with more to lose lose the first few pounds even quicker because they are creating a bigger deficit. Most people lose at a rate of 1-2 lbs a week.

indiblue
03-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Haha burning calories from exercise is one of the hardest things to figure out in dieting! It's pretty much impossible to get an accurate number without a heart monitor. Everyone burns calories at different rates so generic formulas are only rough guides.

I think what most calorie counters on this site do is:
1. use a free calorie counter website (Daily Plate, Lose It, My Fitness Pal) to calculate roughly what their BMR is based on gender, size, age, etc
2. use that same application to figure out how much of a calorie deficit they need to create each day to reach their goal (usually it's between 500-1000, so your 840 would make sense)
3. aiming to eat at the calories per day that will get them to that deficit (i.e. their BMR is 2000, they want to burn at about 1 lb a week, which means 500 calorie deficit a day (3500 calories to burn 1 lb/7 days=500 day), which means eating 1500 a day).
4. Some people (myself included) *roughly* calculate how much we burn exercising by searching online for average calories burned based on our weight, gender, age, etc. Never trust what the machines tell you- they are often wildly inaccurate! Some people try to "eat back" the calories burned from exercise (i.e. if you did a bike ride for 30 minutes and burned 150 calories, then you eat 150 calories more that day), but some don't. Personally I round down how much those charts say I burned (i.e. 300 calories I may log as 250) and only eat them back if I'm hungry.

It sounds really complicated but an online calorie counter will do everything for you. You just input what you ate and what exercise you did and it calculates everything easily.

Remember though that some people don't like calorie counting and opt for other ways to reduce caloric intake/create a deficit. 'Intuitive eating'- eating whole foods and nothing processed, reducing portion size, not eating dessert every day, cutting back on fatty foods, all the common sense stuff- is another method a lot of people use. Some do South Beach, Ideal Protein, Medifast, etc.

At this point you are likely to lose a bit of weight just by eating smart (eating mostly lean proteins, fruits, veggies, whole grains, cutting out white sugar and other processed grains), starting to take walks/do some sort of exercise, and drink water- and not worrying too closely about every calorie. It just depends on whatever you are most comfortable with.

I'd also recommend looking around this board at the different forums so you can get an idea of what others are doing and what has worked for them. There is a TON of information on this board and I've learned a great deal from everyone here.

Beka30
03-18-2011, 12:45 AM
indiblue,

thanks very much, but i just have one more question lol, say i want to lose more then one pound a week like maybe 4-5 pounds instead what do i need to do in numbers to achieve that? i know you are gonna probably say its not safe but i really need to do this fast and i know i can stick with it..i dont want to be the "fat bride" i want to actually take pictures at my wedding...i havent had my picture taken since before i got pregnant and my son is 9 months already..im totally disgusted with myself...:(

Haha burning calories from exercise is one of the hardest things to figure out in dieting! It's pretty much impossible to get an accurate number without a heart monitor. Everyone burns calories at different rates so generic formulas are only rough guides.

I think what most calorie counters on this site do is:
1. use a free calorie counter website (Daily Plate, Lose It, My Fitness Pal) to calculate roughly what their BMR is based on gender, size, age, etc
2. use that same application to figure out how much of a calorie deficit they need to create each day to reach their goal (usually it's between 500-1000, so your 840 would make sense)
3. aiming to eat at the calories per day that will get them to that deficit (i.e. their BMR is 2000, they want to burn at about 1 lb a week, which means 500 calorie deficit a day (3500 calories to burn 1 lb/7 days=500 day), which means eating 1500 a day).
4. Some people (myself included) *roughly* calculate how much we burn exercising by searching online for average calories burned based on our weight, gender, age, etc. Never trust what the machines tell you- they are often wildly inaccurate! Some people try to "eat back" the calories burned from exercise (i.e. if you did a bike ride for 30 minutes and burned 150 calories, then you eat 150 calories more that day), but some don't. Personally I round down how much those charts say I burned (i.e. 300 calories I may log as 250) and only eat them back if I'm hungry.

It sounds really complicated but an online calorie counter will do everything for you. You just input what you ate and what exercise you did and it calculates everything easily.

Remember though that some people don't like calorie counting and opt for other ways to reduce caloric intake/create a deficit. 'Intuitive eating'- eating whole foods and nothing processed, reducing portion size, not eating dessert every day, cutting back on fatty foods, all the common sense stuff- is another method a lot of people use. Some do South Beach, Ideal Protein, Medifast, etc.

At this point you are likely to lose a bit of weight just by eating smart (eating mostly lean proteins, fruits, veggies, whole grains, cutting out white sugar and other processed grains), starting to take walks/do some sort of exercise, and drink water- and not worrying too closely about every calorie. It just depends on whatever you are most comfortable with.

I'd also recommend looking around this board at the different forums so you can get an idea of what others are doing and what has worked for them. There is a TON of information on this board and I've learned a great deal from everyone here.

jmko
03-18-2011, 05:55 PM
jmko,

do they need to be cooked a certain way?

you can cook them anyway you really like. of course, since you're eating lean meats, make sure to stay with the healthy theme and limit your salt, butter, fatty dairy (like cream cheese, heavy cream, etc.) I normally use olive oil or pam on the stove and brown the ground turkey or beef. With chicken sometimes I marinate and bake, same with tofu. If I add cheese I'll use 1% milkfat cottage cheese, or 2% or 1% shredded cheeses. I count carbs too. Once I cut the carbs, the pounds came off faster for me. Just remember everyone is different and different things work for different people. Also, the faster you lose weight, the greater chance you have of gaining it back again. Just remember after you lose it, maintaining is really important. Watch your portioning and drink tons of water.

indiblue
03-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Beka, just apply the same math problem. 4 lbs a week means you need a deficit (3500 calories per pound * 4) of 14,000 a week. 14,000/7 days a week = deficit of 2,000 calories a day. 2,000 calories a day is about what many people's BMRs are. To create a 2,000 cal/day deficit one would need either a) eat literally nothing every day for 3 months or b) eat a tiny bit and exercise it completely off. If your BMR is less than 2,000 it could mean eating nothing and exercising and exercising 1-2 hours every day.

My recommendation is to read more on the weight loss process, basic weight loss principles (eating fruits/veggies, more water, getting adequate sleep, introducing cardio/strength training, decrease fatty foods, etc) and figure out what is healthy and most appropriate for you.

I would spend some time on these boards seeing what other people are doing and the rate at which they lost weight. Go to the Maintainers' forum to see people who have already lost the weight and learn what they did. I don't think you'll find anyone who lost 50 lbs in 4 months, but you'll likely find people who found a healthy, sustainable plan that works and makes sense.

Pegsi
03-19-2011, 06:58 PM
If you can be strict with yourself and follow the plan/protocal Exactly you need to do Ideal Protien!You will lose the weight! Trust me I know. I did it! So have many others.

Freedom One
03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
indiblue,
i know this may be a dumb question but what are lean proteins? And do i need to count calories or something? im kinda confused and i want to start asap so i can really lose this weight...thanks:)

Hi there...here is a non exhaustive list of lean protein
beans of all kind; beef tenderloin; canned salmon (packed in water), canned tuna (packed in water); chicken breast; chickpeas; eggs; fat-free plain yogurt; fresh fish (cod, salmon, tilapia, orange roughy); kefir; lentils; low-fat cottage cheese; tofu; pork tenderloin; unsalted raw nuts and seeds.

As for a quick fix of losing 40 lbs - I don't believe that such a thing exists (if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle). I don't calorie count at all - what I do instead is follow a eat clean lifestyle consisting of 6 meals per day - combination of lean protein and carb. You will notice immediately results with the way you feel, look, etc. So how much potein, carbs should you eat each day? Try to consume 55% complex carbs, 27% lean protein and 18% healthy fats. Make sure you drink alot of water - aim for 2 to 3 litres a day. The other thing is you need to stick to proper portion sizes - you don't need a scale to any measurement tools to figure this out - use your hands to guide you.

For protein - your six serving sizes is measured by what can fit in the palm of one hand

For carbs from fruits and veggies - four to six serving sizes should be measured by what can fit into two cupped hands

For starchy complex carbs - you should two to four servings of complex carbs from whole grains measured by what can fit in one cupped hands.

Remember healthy weight occurs at a rate of two to three pounds per week - some weeks you lose more, some weeks you lose less - and some weeks you don't lose anything at all - but this should not discourage you.

I hope this has helped. If you need clarification - let me know. Good luck!

greekgirl73
03-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Even if you don't end up losing 50 pounds (which I'm sure you can do! :) ), if you exercise, you will still be toning up a lot and you'll look and feel a lot slimmer! My advice would be to cut back on calories, but make sure you are only eating healthy foods! Nothing fried, no fast food - fruits, vegetables, beans, tofu, skim milk, etc. I'm not sure how much you exercise; if it's none, start by walking 30-60 minutes a day, or using the elliptical. Any exercise you can get will help! Good luck!