100 lb. Club - How often do you weigh yourself and why?

Joszac
03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Just wondering how often you all weigh yourselves. I was weighing everyday (I just started 2 weeks ago this wed.) and I found it was frustrating me so I've decided to try just weighing once a week. Same day each week and same time in the morning. I can't say if it's good or bad for me yet because I just decided to do it. I weighed in originally and wrote it down last wed., 3/9, so I will weigh again on 3/16. What do you all do and if you don't mind can you tell me why you do it that way (how it helps you to do it that way)?

btw...I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I have got to not only lose weight but learn to change my thinking.

ShesLosingIt
03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I weigh everyday - it's a PITA sometimes, especially during stalls but I just feel like I need to know plus it's a good way to gauge what's working and what isn't.

JustSharing83
03-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I only count my Sunday weigh-ins because I like to know my progress and monitor it consistently. I can't weigh just once a month because I am too impatient, so weekly seems to be a good balance for me.

I occasionally take a peek at the scales during the week just to see what they say and help keep me in check, but I don't change my ticker or anything until Sunday.

eclipse
03-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Every single day. I record it and keep a moving average. It has been hugely helpful for me in terms of keeping on track and monitoring how my body reacts to different things - like salty meals, my period, new medications, etc. I don't see a lower number every time I get on the scale, but over time I see a consistent downward trajectory of weight.

Rosinante
03-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Yup, every single day.
Get up. Pee. Feed the dogs. Feed me. Go bathroom. Take my clothes off. Weigh.
It helps me see patterns, and by persisting I've learnt not to get too spooked by sudden, unexplained blips.

wr3n
03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I weigh myself every single day. It helps keep me on track and mindful of what my goals are. But my 'official' weigh ins are on Saturday and that is what I track. :)

khole
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
i weigh myself every morning!!! but never through unless i go to ww!!! i say the morning is the best time before u eat,but my ww lady says u should once a week!!

bellastarr
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
i'm bipolar when it comes to the scale, sometimes it's everyday 4 or 5 times a day and sometimes it's once a month or sometimes i just don't get on it because i know no matter what it is i 'm never going to be happy.

i'm trying to stay off of it til i go on vacation april 16th!

Eliana
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Daily and it stopped my obsessions! Heck, most of the time I weigh evening and morning and sometimes in the middle of the afternoon!

Daily weighing will keep me in maintenance, I have very little doubt because I will be unable to bury my head in the sand.

JMfan
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Once a week. Too much fluctuation with water retention and sodium and such

all4JC
03-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Where do you find the weight loss ticker meter things, they are awesome!

I have only been back on the wagon for two weeks and finding it hard not to weigh myself everyday, I try for once a week so I am more likely to see a drop, however when I don't it's discouraging.

lottie63
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I weigh everyday because it keeps me accountable. I know once I stop weighing daily I'm starting down a slippery slope because I most likely am scared of the numbers.

Also, it's frustrating at first but you get numb to the fluctuations. instead of seeing a fluctuation ONE day a week when it "counts" I see them all week long and I don't stress cuz I know that's what it is and it's not that important if I"m on plan if I"m bloated, etc, it doesn't matter. seeing it every day for about two months numbed me out to it.

MonicaM
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
I rarely weigh because the mini gains are so discouraging. Once a month, every 3-5 weeks or so has always shown a LOSS, which is what I want to see.

Example. FOUR WEEKS: weight week one- down three pounds; week two - up 1.5 pounds, week three, down two pounds, week four, up a half pound.............OH, HOW DISCOURAGING!!

But,if you only weighed yourself once a month, you would be down the same three pounds without the frustration of up/down/up/down!!!

BUT, if you weighed once a month,

03-15-2011, 02:41 AM
I weigh any time I walk past the scale. Typically, I weigh in the morning when I wake up, then after my morning exercise, once more after lunch, then sometime before bed. I am comforted by seeing how activity, salt, digestion and the passing of the hours affects the scale. It chills me out so on the days I have a bigger appetite, I know what to expect whenever the caloric effects have worn off. :)

Dusti
03-15-2011, 04:50 AM
I weigh myself every morning after using the bathroom and taking all my clothes off. I had tried to weigh in once a week but I find that to be too frustrating. I know weight can fluctuate from day to day and I wouldn't want my weekly weigh in to be on an off day. I record my daily weight in an excel program so I can judge how much I have lost each month. Another reason I don't weigh in once a week is because I feel I would lose focus only weighing myself every seven days. Daily weigh-ins keep me motivated. I have a digtal scale that shows pounds and kilograms. When I feel I am focusing too much on the pounds I switch it to the KG's since I don't know off hand the conversion. I just watch for the numbers to go down. This week I have been on the KG's since I have been obsessing lately. :)

Bac0s
03-15-2011, 07:41 AM
I weigh everyday because it keeps me accountable. I know once I stop weighing daily I'm starting down a slippery slope because I most likely am scared of the numbers.

This.

Trazey34
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
When I was actively losing, I'd weigh in every Monday morning. Weighing every day drove me insane LOL But now that I'm pretty much where I want to be, I weigh in daily after my shower. If I notice an upward swing continuing more than 2 days, i'm ON IT. Never gain back more than .4 this way, so I'm hoping to do it the rest of my life. I ain't taking that 160 lbs back (holy F*&# 160?!)

MadameZombie
03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I weigh everyday and record it and then look at the trend over a period of two weeks. It can be a little frustrating when you see little spikes but it's almost ALWAYS water retention from salty meals or crazy workouts. You get less concerned with the day to day and more concerned with the week to week. I find this method is good because when people try to lose weight, they are often SO focused on every passing minute that they get discouraged when they don't see results immediately. Filling your life with other things to keep you busy in the interim makes getting to goal less stressful. Fat loss can take a while, so I try not to make it the sole reason for getting up in the morning. That's not to say I haven't wanted to scream at some points!

Emme
03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I weigh everyday and I like monitoring what my weight looks like on a daily basis. I know that if I weigh 2 pounds heavier one day, it's not because I gained 2 pounds of fat ~ it's probably water retention and all that good stuff, so I pay attention to my body.

My official weigh-in day is Friday, so it's nice to weigh daily because let's say I weigh 186 on Friday, then get down to 184 on Wednesday, but weigh in the next Friday at 185...I will at least have seen the 184 and know that it is on the way!

Tai
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I weigh every day. When I first entered maintenance I tried switching to only once or twice per week but found I missed seeing the daily number.

seashell
03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I used to weigh every day, but no loss or even a slight gain (especially the 5 pounds Auntie Flo brings) depressed me. So now I weigh on the 1st and the 15th. The HOPEFULLY big loss it shows is a great reward and Im not obsessing

reptogirl
03-15-2011, 11:20 AM
i weigh daily also, a lot of times several times throughout the day, and i love how for me there is no consistency i can weigh, then use the restroom, weigh again and have gained..also i can lose weight after a meal..lol.so i just take the lowest one for my daily weight. i think it helps me remember to eat the right foods, if i have a gain it is usually because i didn't eat veggies (or not enough) the day before, i know that seems silly but its been a trend on the scale for me.
and i actually enjoy weighing..when i wake up and just lay in bed thinking that i want to go back to sleep i will remember oh lets go weigh...so i will actually get up for it...which is huge!!!! im not a pop out of bed and do anything girl!

Laneyy
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I weigh daily, so I can track fluctuations and see what helps my body and what hinders. Not that you can see anything like that in the span of a day (except maybe that massive influx of sodium I had last week... up 2lbs the next day).

That, and I'm neurotic and impatient and want instant gratification. I'm also afraid that if I don't weigh everyday I'll end up gaining. Kinda the opposite of what I want to happen.

josey
03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I only count my Sunday weigh-ins because I like to know my progress and monitor it consistently. I can't weigh just once a month because I am too impatient, so weekly seems to be a good balance for me.

I occasionally take a peek at the scales during the week just to see what they say and help keep me in check, but I don't change my ticker or anything until Sunday.

Same here. Once a week, Sundays :-) However, I too peek during the week!

Pacifica Bee
03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
At first, I weighed every day, but Sunday has always been my official day and the only day I actually recorded. Then for a while I only even looked once a week because I thought I was being too obsessive. The last 6 weeks I have looked and recorded every day for a couple of reasons. Mainly, I wanted to track how my menstrual cycle effected weight loss and gain (10 pound difference - CRAZY).

I have really slowed down now (I went from 2-4 pounds a week to about 4 pounds a month now) and it is interesting to see when the ounces come off - and STAY off. I plan on making a chart of 2 months worth to see the fun bounces all over the place. As long as the end weight is lower then the first weight, whatever happens in the middle is just fluff!

Sandi
03-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I also weigh every day, but only write down my weight on Monday. I need that daily accountability. In the past, if I am not weighing, I am not trying. It's way too easy for me to bury my head in the sand.

Gale02
03-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Another daily weigher here. I weigh in the morning after peeing and nursing the baby. I chart it on a graph, that way I can see the ups and downs of a daily weigh, but the general downward trend of my weight.

mandiana
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I weigh several times a day. The fluctuations throughout the day don't bother me. I'm used to them and can even guess what my weight will be the next morning based on what I weigh at night. It helps keep me focused. :-)

laueliz
03-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I weigh once daily (although I have weighed twice a day in the past).

I get frustrated weighing every day but I'm so worried about gaining/maintaining without knowing it for an entire week. I really would like to be confident enough to weigh just once a week. I want to try and do that.

Once, I agreed to have my husband hide my scale from me for a week! I ended up losing more weight that time because I wasn't sabotaging myself when I saw a gain or stall that upset me. Logically, I know it's normal to see fluctuations from day-to-day but I really struggle with it anyway.

I need to find a way to get myself to weigh just once a week! Time to hide the scale again :lol:

yossarianlives
03-15-2011, 03:57 PM
When I first started I was weighing every day, but I found myself making lots of excuses for any variant--not good. Last year I managed a month without weighing, but just now I'm weighing once a week.

Joszac
03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Seems the majority that posted weigh daily. Like I said I was doing that but when I didn't see any change or even a 1/2 pound diff. on a day my mind started the negative talk. You know the kind..."might as well eat what I want today cause one day doesn't matter".

Anyway, trying weekly now and tomorrow is the day. I'm actually afraid to get on the scale. I've eaten approx. 1200 calories a day for this past week and I'm afraid I won't see a difference.

Arctic Mama
03-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I weigh every day, it keeps me accountable for every eating choice. I count Monday or Tuesday as my official weigh in day, but every day is recorded (except days like today where I was busy and forgot!).

Tamlynne31
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Right now I weigh daily and I want to stop it. Its like an obsession that I HAVE to see what I lost and I am terrified of what it will do to me to see a gain and not a loss. So far its been a loss of some kind daily but I am afraid when I see a gain it will set me back. I would like to just check on my official weigh day of Monday but I am horribly obsessed with the scale right now

LindseyLou
03-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I weigh in the morning and in the evening each day. I do it because I feel it keeps me focused, but I'll admit it can be frustrating because of the fluctuations!

shannonmb
03-17-2011, 06:30 AM
For the first 7 months or so I only weighed monthly. I was starting off at way too high a weight for me to mentally deal with 0.4 oz losses, or heaven forbid, gains. I spent that time really focusing on eating well, moving more, and then checking in with the scale just to make sure it was working. I was getting a decent loss (~10 lbs) each time I got on the scale, and that was really what I needed to see at that time.

At the beginning of the year, I decided to start with weekly weighing, because I want to be able to start keeping a closer eye on what's working and what may need to be tweaked as I get lower. And it's been an adventure. I am a whoosher, so sometimes I stay the same for a good couple or 3 weeks, then have a 3-5 lb loss. At first that really bothered me, those weigh-ins with no losses, but now I'm getting the hang of it.

I think it's going to be almost maintenance for me before I start being able to weigh daily.

Riesz
03-17-2011, 11:22 AM
When I started losing weight I didn't own a working scale so the first couple months I had no way to measure progress aside from clothes getting looser. I had a doctor appointment in January and actually liked the number on their scale so finally braved up and bought one for my house. :D

I weigh daily now and think it's interesting, not necessarily discouraging, to see fluctuations in my weight. I feel like I'm learning more about how my body works and sometimes the fluctuations come with tiredness or moodiness so now I have a better handle on how what I do and eat affects me day to day!

Drugz
03-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Generally i weigh just about every day. Or every other day.

Now that i have a reliable scale it's nice to consistently know where i am..fluctuations and all.

2legit
03-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I weigh myself daily but for me I think it's too much. If my weight goes up I feel down so I'm going to try to weigh myself weekly or every other day.

dancinginpaint
03-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I weigh myself almost everyday, usually first thing after peeing. I have on occasion stepped on the scale extra during the day just to see what eating, drinking or exercising has done. I also feel a bit like I want the scale everyday. Not so much that I need it but I want it. I gained over a period of years, and even though it took years I felt like it snook up on me, like I just woke up one day and was like "wow, I got really fat". It felt like it happened over night even though I know that it didn't. I can hardly remember weighing myself over those years. I never started keeping formal track until recently. I do believe at some point I was about 265ish, but I didn't write it down or document it so I went by my latest dr's appt where he said I needed to lose 100lbs to have a healthy pregnancy. So that is how I picked my goal weight, which I now may change. I know this was long but that is essentially my relationship with me scale. Weird huh?

Beverlyjoy
03-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I used to weigh weekly because I can obsess on that number. I was told by a doctor to do so years ago. However, more recently I weigh every 2 or 3 days. Once in a while I will weigh daily.

I guess you could say I don't have any hard and fast rules about when I weigh.

starfish27
03-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I have been weighing every day. It's hard for me not to. But I really think it would be better for me to weigh just once per week. I do get discouraged if I see a little gain. Right now I am trying to only weigh on Friday mornings. I picked fridays because I think that is the day of the week I am most likely to weigh less. I tend to eat more on the weekends, so Monday's weight usually looks bad. If I wait until friday I have had mon-thur to make up for the weekend. I don't know if I will have the will power to only weigh once per week. Maybe I will allow twice? LOL! I also like the idea of only weighing on the 1st and 15th. Maybe I will work toward that. :-)

Stacy

245/227/160?

GirlyGirlSebas
03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I weigh daily. This allows me to see the trends that my body follows and, therefore, I'm not as discouraged when the scales went up. I like to weigh daily so that I know what to expect on my official weigh-in day which is Friday. If I wait for a whole week and have nothing or have gained, I don't want to crash and burn. Know what I mean? But, this doesn't work for everyone. Do what feels right to you.

LandonsBaby
03-27-2011, 11:50 AM
every few days.

walking2lose
03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I tend to weigh once a week or so, usually on the weekend. I like to weigh in the morning, naked. My scale is in my husband's drum room (we have a TINY bathroom), and I just don't generally go in there in the morning on work days.

It works for me.

konfyoozed
03-27-2011, 01:17 PM
i step on the scale every day just to assure myself that i'm not still where i started (even though it's only 9-10 lbs, it's still nice to see a number starting with 2, and not 3) but i only use fridays as my weekly weigh in (just in case i decide to play over the weekend... the daily gives me the bad news, but the week gives me a chance to overcome!) and that's when i update my 'current weight' on my sidebar and my ticker (when i get one - too new for a sig yet)

Pandora123a
03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Every day, morning and bedtime. Only the Monday morning weight is my "official" weight, the other times I try to focus on enjoying the number and connecting it to my eating/activity of the day. (oh, salty dinner...scales up this am.)

I'm on of those that stops weighing when I start to gain weight, so my pledge is to stay on that scale!

runningfromfat
03-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I weigh myself every day first thing in the morning after peeing and without clothes on. It keeps me honest and on track for eating well. ;) It's a lot harder facing the scale in the morning that day after an off-plan eating day so I try to avoid being off-plan as much as possible!

Kiyoshima
03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I weigh myself every morning before I go and work out. I know that it's probably not the best thing to do (it can drive your crazy). But I now know all the things that make me put on weight. I also have learned when my period is about to come on (I usually gain about 5 lbs during that time). I say weigh yourself everyday as long as you don't get to hung up on the fluctuations !

graycyn
03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Daily, first thing AM after peeing. I plug it into Hacker's Diet online.

Daily keeps me more honest, keeps me from letting things slip away. I always do better when I weigh daily. I don't obsess on it, it's just information. And because I've weighed daily for so long, I know about the fluctuations and while they might sometimes bug me, they don't depress me.

For my blog, I count only my Monday weigh-in for posting, good or bad.