Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #1  
Miss Melissa

S/C/G: 284/269/165

Height: 5'9

Talking Help with Ideal Protein

I have recently started the ideal protein diet. Does anyone have any easy but yummy receipes that your family will eat too? I am having a hard time making 2 dinners everynight. One for me and one for my family.
And does anyone else have a hard time not cheating? Do you have any tips to help with that?
Thank you!
MelissaMartiinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

When I Googled this diet to see what is was about (kind of curious) , I came across recipes here at 3fc:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...t-recipes.html

Google Ideal Protein Diet Recipes and you will find more.

There's a sub forum on this diet here at 3fc:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-14-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #3  
Miss Melissa

S/C/G: 284/269/165

Height: 5'9

Thank you Beverlyjoy! I am new to the site and I am still learning how to navigate it.
MelissaMartiinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/178/150

Height: 5'10"

Hi there and Congrats on Starting IP. I am just starting my third week and am amazed by how good I feel and the results.

I have triplet nine year olds and a husband so meals are interesting. I am doing our usual stuff - roast chicken with veggies, hamburgers, roasts with minor adjustments for me.

I love to roast my veggies. Roast cauliflower is delicious. So is cauliflower puree. Yum! I have made turnip fries, and love to use turnips as my potatoes. Also I pulled together a cabbage soup that is really good.

I figured out that the Walden Dressings are pretty essential. They are pretty good considering...

Hamburgers are good with lettuce buns and WF dressings.

Also look for stevia flavorings. Someone on this site recommended netrition.com for WF products and other sugar free things.

So far my family and I are eating the same things with minor adjustments. I add carbs for them, more lettuce for me. On the days I give them pasta or beans, I have frozen salmon patties or cod to eat.

Have fun!
2Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #5  

Default Suppers

I go shopping right after my weigh ins for my weeks worth of food. Foods I fix for myself and my family at the same time are: hamburgers, chix breast, venison tenderloins, shrimp or seafood of any kind.

When I get home I weigh out my portions to 5-8 ounces. Freeze them so when it comes time I just pull them out.

I get my veggies. I use a lot of fresh mushrooms and green peppers. I chop them up very fine and I put them in my IP soups so I can get my veggies in. I eat my cucumbes, radishes, turnips, kohlarabi raw. I've also cut my turnips thin, season them and bake them in the oven when I have hamburgers.

It hard to get four cups of veggies in but I try. Let me know if you would like any more info.

My first week weigh in I was down 6 lb and 11 inches. Have my next weigh in Tue. after Labor day. Little nervous as I did have two pops this week.
kostless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #6  

Why don't you try getting your family on board to eat similar meals to yours that way you don't have to cook 2 different menus. Of course your plate will probably have lots more greens that the others, but at least it's not a complete different meal.

If this is not achievable, try making a big pot of food over the weekend and save in containers in the freezer to reheat later for the rest of the family.
useruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by useruser View Post
Why don't you try getting your family on board to eat similar meals to yours that way you don't have to cook 2 different menus. Of course your plate will probably have lots more greens that the others, but at least it's not a complete different meal.
ITA. You can easily fix the protein and veggies for the whole family and just add a carb (rice, pasta, potato) for the family members not doing IP. From the perspective of Phase 4/maintenance, you'll likely continue to do a protein and veggie for dinners, so why not start the family out eating that way now? You could incorporate some family favorites into the week by making large batches and freezing as useruser said. Don't make IP harder on yourself my catering to your family's old eating habits!
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

We eat the same thing - We almost always just grill a protein and a veggie - I just don't have the rice/pasta carb! The thing is that I have to fix more vegetables so that I get my 2 cups. It's been pretty easy for just two of us.

Good luck!
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #9  
Melting Mama

S/C/G: 336/274.5/175

Height: 5'6"

My family loved the Big Mac in a Bowl recipe that is posted here. I haven't made any of the other recipes yet but we have been doing lots of roasted or sauteed veggies with our meals which all but 1 of the kids likes. (oddly enough I have a vegetarian daughter and a son that passed carnivore up-meals with those two are interesting)
JodiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #10  

Red face First day on IP so excited

Well today is my first day on the diet. I am so excited and reading everyone's posts make me more excited. I an reading a lot that people get headaches. CAn any one tell me what I can put in my water since we can't have aspartam? I was checking out the recipes and love them. ALso stupid question is how do u measure vegetables? NOt a cook but I am sure its very easy lol. Any suggestions on things would be great..
Swtdee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

When I started, I knew I would face the same problem you described. In the daily thread and the stickies are 3 different links to many recipes which have helped me.

I have been documenting and photographing things I have been making and eating at a pagebook page I created. Pix and recipes and hints:

http://www.facebook.com/idealproteinlohja

When cooking my dinner (meat protein + veggies + salad), for my wife, I just add some cheese, tomatoes, croutons, and normal salad dressing to the salad and she usually enjoys what I eat. Most family members may not enjoy the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" as much as the real thing, but for the most part, my wife has enjoyed our meals more since I have been on the diet. :-)

My kids are slower to learn to eat so many veggies, but some of the recipes have become favourites.
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 312/274/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtdee32 View Post
Well today is my first day on the diet. I am so excited and reading everyone's posts make me more excited. I an reading a lot that people get headaches. CAn any one tell me what I can put in my water since we can't have aspartam? I was checking out the recipes and love them. ALso stupid question is how do u measure vegetables? NOt a cook but I am sure its very easy lol. Any suggestions on things would be great..
I got headaches the first two days, but then they went away.

Instead of flavoring my water, I started to make iced herbal teas and loved them (no sweetener needed.) For example Peppermint is refreshing and goes great with super spicy foods (shredded zucchini with hot thai curry paste, chili infused eggplant, jalepeno mashed cauliflower etc)

Here is a link to some of the iced herbal teas I have used:
Iced Herbal Teas
FinnSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/172/140

Height: 5'4

Lots of good, motivating advice.
yma311 is offline   Reply With Quote