Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers weekly chat March 14-March 20

Monday again.

But there are signs that Spring approaches: most of our snow is gone; the kids are wearing shorts outside; water outside doesn't freeze; some crocuses about.

I got work to do today and my DW's computer is on the fritz. I hate Windows. Used to be that you could deal with a computer; now that seems impossible without the G e e k S q u a d with their special CD's.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good Morning!

Bill Windows - BLEAGH! I have live-in tech help (DH) but frequently the air is "blue" by the time he figures out what's going on. Good to know the Geek Squad is helpful.

We have birds singing outside the window but there's still snow on the ground - typical Canadian promise of spring. Daylight savings has put me back in step with more of the world. I "spring forward" gladly as I am now getting up at 5 a.m. instead of 4 a.m. .

The cats have adapted to the new schedule remarkably quickly. They were a bit confused at dinner time yesterday but were behind my door at precisely 5 a.m. the new time this morning.

I had another birthday celebration and went waaay off plan afterwards. Not with birthday cake (had my two pieces and was quite proud of that) but with continuing to eat after my guests had gone home. I think I was reacting to the fact that I hadn't entertained anyone in my house since my last birthday.

Back on schedule this morning and will come in at under 1400 cals for a few days until the binge stuff is gone.

Great Monday all!

Dagmar (I wish)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning all,

Mondays are easier when you don't need to go to work! My parents are here but don't want to do a lot besides relax, so I've been exercising Emma, continuing my cleaning of the house (now it's clean ), and working on play "business". Yesterday I did my taxes! Huge relief to have those done. I'm about to take Emma for her long wog of the day and then go to the gym for some weights. This afternoon I'll see if they want to venture to one of the state parks. If not, I'll call my costumer and poster designer for the play and touch base with them, and round up some props. I'm so relaxed now that my taxes are done!

Dagmar, eat a normal diet and drink lots of water and overindulgence will just flush itself out!

Bill, it's so nice to see those signs of spring, isn't it? GL w DW's computer. I've got to make a service call today to the phone company - my "wireless router" isn't wireless.

Have a great Monday all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My animals have not yet embraced the time change. Ringo the cat was utterly confused when I got up at dark o'clock and fed him.

At golf yesterday I managed to strain my back. I think it was due to adding all the even irons to my club set and lugging the whole load all 18 holes. Last night I used my massage mouse all evening and although I slept well, it still hurts this morning. At first it was just stiff but the more I sit the worse it feels. It's not going to be nice at work if I'm still in pain. I hope the Aleve kick in soon.

So I spoke to my Dad last night...I still have not talked to my Mom as they moved her and I don't have the room # or phone #. Anyway, Dad didn't get to go see her because my brother and SIL were ski patrolling and couldn't drive him. He was good not to drive to go see her BUT he did decide he needed a chocolate shake and DROVE to Baskin Robbins and found out that they closed the store (probably years ago). Apparently when driving back into the garage, he was too close to one side and scratched mom's car...I was so mad at him for this, I said it's not safe for him to drive...and to top it off, my SIL said there are two half gallons of ice cream in his freezer. UGH. Help me survive the trip up there!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning everyone! Hoping all goes well for my first week back in the office every day. Carter is 6 weeks post-op tomorrow and he has been back on his normal schedule for about a week now, so it seems safe to do. We fenced off the sofa so he can't jump on it and put baby gates up around the "bedroom" (dining room we put our bed in until Carter can go upstairs again) so he can't jump on the bed and across the stairs so he can't go upstairs. He shouldn't be able to do much damage to himself in the rest of the house.

In other doggie news he is getting better at his obstacle course and better without the boot (in the house and on the grass at least, haven't tried him on concrete yet). With the boot he's going for 20 minute walks and doing very well. In terms of other functionality he can scratch himself with his left foot again and can sort of scratch himself with his right foot but not that well. He's tried to stretch a couple times but can't do it very well yet. He tries to lift his leg to pee, but usually can only manage it for half a second before he has to put it down so he doesn't fall. He's at a state right now where if he gets cleared to go up and down the two steps to the backyard (which he has done when we haven't stopped him in time and seems to be okay with), then even if he never gets any better than he is now we would be okay with that. He can walk and do his business and he seems pretty happy (except for when we tell him he can't go on the couch!). They say that dogs keep getting better for at least 3 months following this surgery though so that means he's only halfway through his recovery period and should continue to improve. When we get to six months (August) that is when they say he will not improve any more past whatever state he's at then.

The real question is, could I have put any more parentheses in that paragraph?

Bill, do you have Windows 7? Or are you still on an older version?

Dagmar, happy belated birthday!

Megan, I'm glad you're getting Emma on a good schedule in the morning.

Allison, when you get to your parents' place, I suggest you take your dad's keys. If he won't give them up voluntarily just take them when he's not looking. Driving when it's not safe isn't just dangerous for him, but for everyone else on the road as well! Good luck dealing with all the family drama.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Take care of that back, Allison, because it's bearing an awful lot of weight lately. I mean, of course, having to act like the adult & the caregiver with elderly parents & handle the role reversal & all the discomfort & anger & uncertainty about one's authority that this entails.

My advice is to be loving but not to revert to being deferential -- at least not in the old, daughterly way -- and to assume the new authoritative role with as much of a show of confidence as you can muster. Fake it till you make it. You know that what you're doing will make them safer & more comfortable. You are in the right. Really. There is a way to be firm but also show that it comes from a place of caring & that there is a sound reason behind your actions. I agree with Jessica about simply taking the keys, though I would also explain my actions.

What are you most afraid of in your dealings with them? That they will yell at you? That they will be angry with you?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Just a hello from me today. I'll likely be very scarce this week as it is my book fair crazy week plus dh is out of town as usual.

Trying to stay focused with food and exercise.... am starving now but it is after 9:30 pm and I refuse to eat now. Hoping my body is eating away at the extra pounds and I'll see a drop on the scale soon.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #8  

Allison Dealing with elderly parents is sooo frustrating! My dad believes that the "white man" is king and all women are subservient to all men. He refuses to listen to anything I tell him so I've had to resort to asking my (male) cousin to talk to him whenever it's something important. I also hang up in his ear when my dad starts screaming abuse at me over the phone. Usually the next phone call is very civil and he pretends the first didn't happen.

I'm sure your parents are nowhere near that bad. Just keep breathing and occasionally excuse yourself to go and make "screamy" faces in the bathroom .

Michele Sounds like a week for you

I will stay OP this week and wear my skinny jeans to DH's show on Saturday. Got my food for the week all figured out and written down. So much easier with a plan!

Dagmar
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
What are you most afraid of in your dealings with them? That they will yell at you? That they will be angry with you?
I don't want them to get mad at me, I don't want to make them feel pressured in any way. Things are looking up. According to my SIL, Mom is doing well with PT and although she can't walk the 100 feet the therapist wants (with walker), she did manage 60 yesterday. Also, she said that my Dad seems to be more open to the assisted living idea, and that's really a huge hurdle. I guess I'll be touring several facilities while I'm there.

My best friend (for 44 years!) was in town for the BNP Paribas tennis tournament and she and her boyfriend came for dinner last night. We had a very nice time.

And then I slept like a rock last night. Well, not like a rock, but for the first time in months, I was actually awakened by my alarm clock (usually I hear the coffee maker beep that it is ready). My back still hurts, but it's getting better each day. Today I'm just a little stiff.

Tonight is my birthday celebration (since I can't be here on my actual birthday). DD drove in last night (she has optometrist and dentist appointments this afternoon). Tonight we'll all go out to dinner and then go see One Night of Queen at our local theater (Queen cover band--should be fun as we all love their music). DH gave me my present last night (so I could show my GF). I got him a watch and he got me one, too. They don't match, but they're both Rado watches which should last us a lifetime. My last watch is about 14 years old and although it still works, it's taken quite a beating.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #10  

Happy early birthday Allison!!

One day down of my book fair and four to go.... gotta stay strong....
No drop on the scale yet but I'm holding out. Today is the day I work my second job in the evening so exercise is always a challenge for me on Tuesdays. I haven't decided yet if I'll still make the gym or not--- I'll see how the day goes.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #11  
Workin' It

Happy early birthday Allison! I hope your trip goes well and your parents don't give you too much of a hard time. It does sound like your dad doesn't need to be driving.

Bill - I often hate Windows, too. It makes me crazy.

Michele - enjoy your book fair! I know that it is busy.

Dagmar - high five for skinny jeans!

Jessica - glad Carter is doing well.

Megan - enjoy your parents visit!

I'm in my taper week for my half marathon on Saturday. I feel less prepared than last year, but I know that I'll survive at least. May have a slower time than last year, but I'm going to finish.

I started taking Singulair back before Christmas and started to wonder if it was making me retain water and gain weight. Came off of it in February and my weight went down and I felt less bloated, but I also worked really hard on diet and exercise. Went back on it about two weeks ago, and almost immediately started feeling bloated and gross again. I did have a bad food weekend the weekend before last, but it wasn't terrible. I would normally have dropped a lot of the water ick by now and I haven't, even though my diet has been a lot better the last week. I'm can't help but wonder if the Singulair is having some side effects. I'm thinking I won't refill it.

Good day everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-15-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #12  

Big, big headache all afternoon. I normally never get those - wonder what's up? And I could barely finish the last dog walk - felt sooo tired. Maybe dinner will help.

Still going to go get my hair trimmed.

Have a good evening all!

Dagmar
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've been grumpy and pessimistic all day. After a week of freedom, having left my laptop at home while traveling, I forgot how bad my job really is. I'm compensated decently for it, but sometimes, I really chafe at how this is using up my life. Once again, after just one day, I'm perpetually harnessed to e-mail & instant messaging & have just received six big long-term projects with three small projects that are due immediately.

I need to go to bed now rather than malingering online & rest up for tomorrow's crush.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #14  

Saef-- what type of work do you do?

Shannon-- I've taken Singulair for years. I don't know anything about weight gain as a possible side effect but I find it interesting that you see a tie-in. Hmmm...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #15  

Thumbs up The bullying ends today

Last night I bought cookies and candy from the grocery store. I slumped down in front of the TV and ate them mindlessly. All the anxiety created by my dad just descended and overwhelmed me.

He will not respect me or treat me like an adult. Every phone call from him is a demand for servitude. He accosts me in my client's driveway while I'm at work and demands that I stop my workday and help him.

I'm sick of being bullied but, when I verbally tell him to stop, he ignores me.

So this morning I wrote up a set of rules, boundaries, and limitations for our relationship. Whenever he comes over to accost me during the workday I will hand him yet another copy of these.

I will have all his phone calls go directly to voice mail and I will delete most of them.

I will not make any phone calls, type any letters, do any sort of stuff on his schedule. The more he pushes the more I will say no.

I will be calm and assertive while saying no but I will say no and mean it.

The bullying ends today.

Dagmar