South Beach Diet - Where does Shiritake noodles fit into phase 2?

Porthardygurl
03-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Just found the "miracle noodles" aka. Shiratake noodles and wondering where it fits into phase 2? Its a starch?? or veggie? or?? And how much can you have in a serving?

zeffryn
03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
they are made of tofu, so I use them as a protein. i stick to one serving, as listed on the package.

CyndiM
03-12-2011, 09:13 PM
At 40 calories for the whole package I don't count them at all. I don't think they actually have enough of anything to be meaningful nutritionally.

Just looked at the info - there's only 2grams of protein in the whole package:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 113g / 4.0oz
Servings per Container: 2
Per Serving
Calories 20
Fat Calories 5
Per Serving %DV
Total Fat - 0.5g 1%
Sat. Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol - 0mg 0%
Sodium - 15mg 1%
Total Carb. - 3g 1%
Fiber Less Than 2g 9%
Sugars 0g
Protein - 1g

Porthardygurl
03-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Hmm this is odd..because on my package of "miracle noodles"..There is no calories , no fat and less that 1 gram of carb per serving..and it says its not tofu..but its made of vegetable fibre..

See for yourself and tell me what you think : www.miraclenoodle.com

* made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.
* contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan.
* wheat & gluten free and kosher.
* Easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce.
* are instant and come in a variety of styles
* have shown beneficial effects backed by medical studies for Type II Diabetes, Constipation, Obesity, and Cholesterol!

cheryl126
03-13-2011, 01:27 AM
The ones you see in the stores around here usually have tofu in them and are the 40 calories/bag kind mentioned above. However, the "miracle noodle" brand and the shiritaki imported from Japan consist of water and some sort of special yam flour (no tofu) and are 0-5 calories per serving. I just wandered into this thread and am not on SB, but I don't count the non-tofu ones when I'm tracking calories since they're mostly water.

CyndiM
03-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Cool, we don't get those here. I wouldn't count those at all. They have a GI of 0, no calories and no nutrients. Just put lots of healthy stuff with them (like veggies ;))

WaistingTime
03-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I bought them once and the package had 80 calories. I was curious to try them after seeing them on Dr. Oz and Hungry Girl. I washed them, as instructed, but thought they smelled fishy. Ugh. I tried rinsing them more and accidentally dumped them down the drain! Maybe it was a Freudian "slip."

Anyhoo... do they taste like they smell?!

Porthardygurl
03-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I dont know..i havent tried it yet..but i heard your supposed to rinse them really well after draining them..and then your supposed to boil them for like 2 minutes..apparently that gets the stink out of them..and then you add sauce and veggies or put them in a soup and then its all good..so ive heard..but i will let ya know when i try them..im thinking of adding them to a veggie chicken soup

cheryl126
03-13-2011, 01:53 PM
I dont know..i havent tried it yet..but i heard your supposed to rinse them really well after draining them..and then your supposed to boil them for like 2 minutes..apparently that gets the stink out of them..and then you add sauce and veggies or put them in a soup and then its all good..so ive heard..but i will let ya know when i try them..im thinking of adding them to a veggie chicken soup

This is exactly how I prepare them! The fishy smell goes away after you rinse and boil them. Be warned though that the texture is not like normal pasta - it's more rubbery, sort of like glass/rice noodles that you get in asian cuisine sometimes. I often put them in stirfrys with soy or peanut sauce and sometimes add them to broth with some veggies to make a sort of ramen type of soup.

zeffryn
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
DEFINITELY rinse and parboil them. They don't taste as they smell, thank heavens. I remember the first package I bought, I thought they had gone bad so I googled to find out. Parboiling them takes all of the flavor out of them. I usually use them in asian recipes, but they are decent with veggie packed marinara too.

srego909
03-15-2011, 07:55 AM
hi, I only buy House Foods brand now. I use fettucini style in ckn soup & great for mock alfredo recipes. I've also made cold noodle salads too. Can't. Live w/out them now.

iluvgreentea
03-16-2011, 03:34 PM
I've always loved Shirataki noodles and ate them quite a bit when I was on an Atkins type diet.

I read that a 2004 Daily Dish from South Beach official site said they are mostly fiber and can be had in any phase of South Beach. I plan on having them on Phase 1.

If prepared correctly they rock. If not, ugh.