Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #1  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

Default Variety in daily calorie intake?

Hello ladies (& gentlemen) -

So I eat 1200 calories every day - every single day my calorie totals are the same. Is this bad for my metabolism? Would it be better to add a little variety in terms of the amount of calories? I don't feel comfortable eating less than 1,200 as I think that's just not healthy... but should I switch it up, and once or twice a week have 1,400 or 1,600? I've gotten the point where I feel guilty if I go above 1,200 calories in a day (which has happened all of three times in two months). And I feel like that's a really unhealthy mindset to have. So I guess this is kind of a two-parter. Would it be good for me to add a little variety, a.) for my metabolism and b.) so I can shake this guilty feeling? I don't like that I feel guilty for having more than 1,200 calories.

In all honesty, I know the answer to my question - yes, I should add variety for both my metabolism and my sanity - but I think I'd just like to hear what you all have experienced when it comes to varying calorie counts and suffering from the "I can't go over x amount of calories a day - no matter how hungry I may be" syndrome.
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Yes, you should eat more.
Do you exercise? Eating only 1200 calories daily is low for your height and weight. (As a comparison, I am 2" taller than you and only dropped to 1200 to shed the Last Five Pounds.) If it's working for you, great, but it seems like you might hit a snag in dropping the remaining weight you'd like to on that low of an intake.
1500 calories per day might be more appropriate for you. Good luck!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

First, ya, calories are too low. You have no room to go down in calories if you need to later. Try calorie cycling to kinda trick your metabolism. It can definitely get used to a certain number & then make the scale stay put. I've had the best luck with calorie cycling - my base is 1600 calories, so I do 1400, 1600 & 1800 days. Seems to be working great. I lost my first 40 that way, & that's what's been working best to lose the 22 I've lost so far.

HTH & Good luck!
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #4  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

^^^Ditto
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #5  

Madison (or anyone else who has calorie cycled )-
I've been stuck for a while, and get stuck every few weeks. Do you mind explaining your calorie cycling a little further? What kind of foods did you eat to get to those calories, and were there any foods you avoided. Also, on the days with higher calories, what did you eat to get your calories that high. Lastly, (Madison) how long did it take you to lose that much weight on your calorie cycling plan. Sorry for the insane number of questions.. I really appreciate it Thank you soo much!!
Merissa2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merissa2011 View Post
Madison (or anyone else who has calorie cycled )-
I've been stuck for a while, and get stuck every few weeks. Do you mind explaining your calorie cycling a little further? What kind of foods did you eat to get to those calories, and were there any foods you avoided. Also, on the days with higher calories, what did you eat to get your calories that high. Lastly, (Madison) how long did it take you to lose that much weight on your calorie cycling plan. Sorry for the insane number of questions.. I really appreciate it Thank you soo much!!
Calorie cycling is great! It kind of gives you a day every few days to eat a little more if you're dying. I just add more snacks into my day - I tend to eat more yogurt & maybe some pretzels...I'll eat both together rather than just one or the other. You could also put an extra slice of cheese on a sandwich or something...that will help boost your calories. I don't add anything that I don't eat on a regular day, I just eat a little more.

It took me 3 months to lose the first 40 a couple years ago. This time, I've lost 22lbs since Christmas calorie cycling on & off. I'm working out everyday & drinking 4-6 liters of water a day. If you aren't already, DEFINITELY incorporate some strength training into your routine - it will seriously be the boost you need.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #7  

Thanks Madison! That was really helpful! & congrats on your weight loss!!
Merissa2011 is offline   Reply With Quote