General Diet Plans and Questions - Anyone else doing IF? (Intermittent Fasting)

Pages : [1] 2

Katydid77
03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I am doing Intermittent Fasting, and I'm wondering if there are any others on here that are doing that??

For years I held the diet mantra that you need to eat 5-6 times a day in order to lose weight, and it always made me so miserable, because I'm the person where I'm not hungry until I eat, then once I eat I stay hungry.

I know it can be argued that once your hungry is when your metabolism 'kicks' in, but for me, I have learned that is not the truth. It is simply when my hunger signals kick in.

I lose weight sooooo much easier with IF, although I know it's not for everyone.

Right now my eating window is typically between 4pm and 10pm, although I will adjust that if life gets in the way.

So, anyone else out there??

SCraver
03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Kinda! A bazzilion mini-meals a day is just not for me. I need to feel satiated on occasion. I have been trying to get in touch with my hunger. Trying to learn that it is not an emergancy. That it is nothing to panic over or fear. If I am that hungry - it is either nearly time for a meal or I just have a healthful snack.

Saturdays, I get up usually about 7ish (depends on my 2 yr old) and I have a cup of coffee. I often don't get to breakfast until 10 or 11 or sometimes 12. So - that is really lunch. Then I usually don't eat again until dinner!

Sundays I get to sleep in, but the pattern is the same.

Weekdays are a little more structured b/c I am at work. But if I am not hungry for a snack, then I don't eat it! If if I want my lunch at 3pm instead of 12... then I wait until 3 to eat. I don't eat breakfast until I get to work and get settled into my work for the day - about 9am give or take.

It is also helping me to try to move away from emotional eating. I am trying to eat in response to hunger rather than: "Oh! It's 'lunchtime'" or as a response to stress or emotion.

JohnP
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I am and have been for over a year. I love it! I normally eat 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM but it varys here and there.

I'm surprised at how slowly the concept has spread. It's a game changer as far as I'm concerned. It's 12 noon right now. I'm not the slightest bit hungry and I've been successfully taking tests all morning.

berryblondeboys
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I think everyone's metabolic pattern is different. I am more of a morning person. I am hungriest in the morning too. I eat for hunger, so it's not unusual for me to get up at 7:30 and to have eaten 900 calories by noon with breakfast, a snack and lunch. Then I eat a snack around 3 - very small and then eat a light dinner around 6pm and nothing for the rest of the day and I don't usually go to bed until between 11 pm and midnight. i'm just not hungry at night and at night is usually when I work out too.

My husband on the other hand eats a good breakfast, a very light lunch, a late afternoon snack, a big dinner and then a decent sized snack around 9 or 10 pm. He's a night owl and is hungry later in the day. It used to be a problem when we would go do things on weekends. I would be starving for lunch and he wouldn't want to stop because he wasn't hungry yet.

I think people need to figure out their hunger patterns and eat appropriately. We shouldn't be eating by the clock but by our body's rhythms.

JohnP
03-12-2011, 12:21 AM
I think people need to figure out their hunger patterns and eat appropriately. We shouldn't be eating by the clock but by our body's rhythms.

I'm of the belief that for most people the body will adapt to whatever eating cycle you want it to. I used to be RAVENOUS by 10:30 AM if I hadn't eaten anything before then and I rarely missed breakfast.

After a week of doing IFing my body had adjusted. Back then I ate from noon till 8:00PM and around 10:30 AM I would start getting hungry. After a month of this feeding schedule I didn't get hungry at all until around 11:30.

Due my personal schedule I decided to move my feeding window back 2 hours. Only took about a week and I was golden.

From what I have read most people have had similar experiences to mine.

However, I recognize everyone is different and some people cannot adjust to fasting every morning.

indiblue
03-12-2011, 02:04 AM
JohnP can you sell me on why IF may be good for weight loss? I have acid reflux when I wake up and I often snack/graze unnecessarily between 2-5 PM; for these reasons I try to eat like berryblondeboys, with a medium-sized breakfast, big lunch, and small dinner. However, I'm intrigued with the idea of fasting until later afternoon, if it would both curb my tendency to snack unnecessarily in the afternoon as well as kick-start my metabolism. Would be interested in your thoughts.

JohnP
03-12-2011, 02:30 AM
JohnP can you sell me on why IF may be good for weight loss? I have acid reflux when I wake up and I often snack/graze unnecessarily between 2-5 PM; for these reasons I try to eat like berryblondeboys, with a medium-sized breakfast, big lunch, and small dinner. However, I'm intrigued with the idea of fasting until later afternoon, if it would both curb my tendency to snack unnecessarily in the afternoon as well as kick-start my metabolism. Would be interested in your thoughts.

Weightloss is dependant on calories so if you have a smaller window of opportunity to eat you can eat larger more satisfying meals. There are some other potential health benefits such as more stable blood sugar and better insulin sensativity but the main benefit for me in regards to weight loss is simply beging able to eat larger meals. Some people do great grazing, I don't. I like the feeling of being full. A small meal just makes me ready to start looking for some snacks.

For example lets say you want to eat 1500 calories a day. The average person spreads those calories out over 10-12 hours and probably 3 meals and 2 snacks. Each time you eat is going to be a fairly small amount of calories. If you're following IF you would eat 2-3 more substantial meals and you won't be hungry for snacks.

Based on your specific eating pattern in place you'll probably like it a lot. You eat a big lunch now but doing IF you'll eat a really big lunch :D You'll be full till dinner and feel no need to snack. You might decide 2 meals is good but you might do two meals and a bedtime snack.

Another thing is that most people report after the adjustment period of feeling really good during the fasting period and full of energy.

[Edit] - I just realized you're very close to your goal weight. This is yet another reason you'll like IF. The thinner you get the more difficult it can be to lose weight because fat can be stubborn and difficult to mobilize out of the fat cell. Fasting solves this problem as the body makes minor adapations to free the fat from your body. You can read about this in detail here. (http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html)

indiblue
03-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Many thanks- your post and the article was quite helpful. The latter also happened to reinforce the relationship between insulin levels and fat loss... and reminded me I really need to cut down on my sugar.

Anyway thanks for the info- I'll certainly try out IF and see what happens. Thanks as well to the OP for bringing attention to this subject :)

supergir111
03-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I have been eating between 2pm and 8pm for several weeks now, I want to say 8 maybe. I find it fits my lifestyle, helps to manage my appetite and is just perfect for me at this time in my life :)
Now I only find myself hungry slightly before it's time to eat, maybe half an hour where as before I was hungry from the moment I woke up, then shortly after every meal. I can also function fine before 2pm and regurly walk a few miles before I eat and feel fine. I'm not sure if this is something I will do forever because i'm always open to change if it benefits me but for now and the forseeable future I IF.

Katydid77
03-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Just a comment to add. I have a lot of stomach problems too, and a lot of my eating over the years has been just trying to 'eat a little something to calm my stomach'

So many times, I have eaten when I'm not really hungry, just to try and make my tummy hurting go away.

I am on prevacid and now I've learned just to let it do it's job. I get up and take the prevacid and my allergy pill and just go on. I do drink hot tea throughout the day, but my stomach does not get progressively worse if I don't eat.

Also, when do you take your stomach medication? I assume it's a once a day pill. A LOT of times, it really helps if you switch to taking your stomach pill at night, before bed, as opposed to taking it when you get up.

Obviously a lot of your reflux is coming from laying down at night, and not from the actual food you are eating. The doctor told me that trick a long time ago, and it really does help if my tummy is being more uncooperative than usual. What I do, is I go two days taking it twice a day (once in the morning and once at night), then I go down to just the once at night. It really does help.

Just throwing out some more ideas to try. I've been on a ton of stomach medication, and I've got war stories from them all. :)

indiblue
03-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks katy! I am not on medicine right now. I had 3 consecutive nights of extreme pain/nausea/symptoms mimicking a heart attack a few years ago in college which by sheer deduction (ruling out gallbladder, etc) problems my doctor wrote off to acid reflux, but that was the only bad isolated incident. Now, I have a sudden onset of acidity when I go long periods without eating anything, especially in the morning. Lately it's been bad as soon as I wake up- I have to quickly drink water to calm things down. I don't think I've ever had a problem on a full or semi-full stomach.

My doctor several years ago recommended omeprazol, but I never went on it. I usually eat frequently enough to not have any symptoms so I'm trying to avoid going on medication. I don't think it's bad enough... yet. It does make me wonder if I can train my body for IF. We'll see. Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences- I definitely may use them if things get worse.

JohnP
03-12-2011, 03:00 PM
If your acid reflux is activated by not eating I don't see how IF will help.

Personally I would go see another doctor for a second opinion.

Rosinante
03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
What is the health benefit of IF (weightloss aside)?
and
How do you shift your mentality from wanting to cram a 'normal' day's worth of food into the window?

I ask not as an accusation but because I know my lack of willpower.
Thanks.

TooManyDimples
03-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Interesting idea. I do notice that when I'm not eating on plan I tend to not even get hungry until the middle of the afternoon. When I am on plan I try to eat every 2-3 hours and I tend to actually feel hungry a lot more often and usually I'm still not really hungry until late morning or so. I might have to consider trying this.

Few questions. How does exercise fit into this schedule? For those that do this, do you only exercise after you've started eating? Is this only about food, or can you drink things during the time you're not eating?

timkerbelle
03-12-2011, 03:56 PM
I do IF and I think it's really good for both health and weight. I personally don't like to eat more than my "three square" every day, I don't like snacking between meals. Twice a week I have only dinner. I firmly believe it's better for your teeth and your digestion system to have quiet time now and again.

There is a post about this in the "does it work" forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/120937-eat-stop-eat-intermittent-fasting.html

I'm also trying out the clean program, which is a little bit like IF in that you eat only one solid meal per day, but it's a limited time frame on that as opposed to IF.

JohnP
03-12-2011, 06:57 PM
and
How do you shift your mentality from wanting to cram a 'normal' day's worth of food into the window?

Thanks.

IF does not cause weightloss. Calories in vs calories out as always. Health benefits are not exactly known at this point because the research is primarily in rats but better blood sugar regulation and better insulin sensativity are the two ideas out there currently.

I don't really understand your question though. After the initial adjustment period you're just not feeling that massive hunger that might cause one to binge during your normal fasting period. As always you need to make good food choices there is nothing magic about IF. You can easily gain weight while doing IF I just find it easier to lose weight because I'm eating larger more satisfying meals this way.

JohnP
03-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Few questions. How does exercise fit into this schedule? For those that do this, do you only exercise after you've started eating? Is this only about food, or can you drink things during the time you're not eating?

The only thing I would not suggest is doing heavy lifting or HIIT during your fasting period unless you're going to be able to eat soon after. Cardio is fine though.

The difference between a fed and a fasted state is insulin. You eat calories, your insulin levels go up and you're no longer fasting. Drink anything you want as long as it doesn't have calories. Coffee and tea are fine. Cofee and tea with lots of cream and sugar are not (of course if you're dieting I doubt you would waste calories on that stuff anyways.)

timkerbelle
03-12-2011, 07:30 PM
John, I'm curious how often you fast? From your posts I read it as you having made this your normal eating pattern, is that correct? I haven't read all that much about IF, but the impression I have got is that people usually fast 1-2 days per week.
Interesting topic!

TooManyDimples
03-12-2011, 10:16 PM
timkerbelle, I've been reading up on IF and it seems like there are two approaches. Fasting 1-2 days per week for 24 hours each, or doing it daily for 15-19 hours. The daily approach really appeals to me so that's what I'm going to try.

Thanks for the advice John.

JohnP
03-13-2011, 12:17 AM
John, I'm curious how often you fast? From your posts I read it as you having made this your normal eating pattern, is that correct? I haven't read all that much about IF, but the impression I have got is that people usually fast 1-2 days per week.
Interesting topic!

Yes - it is my normal eating pattern. It is rare for me to eat anything before 2:00 PM although occasionally I'll get dragged to a late brunch on the weekends by my family ... I'll try to delay them past noon but I'm not always successful. :D I follow leangains.com

Others who fast 1-2 days a week are doing it more of the Eat Stop Eat style which is a book I'd like to read but I'm too cheap.

Katydid77
03-13-2011, 01:16 AM
and

Thanks.

From studies, insulin levels and such seem to really benefit from IF. If you think about it, all through history mankind has 'fasted' between times of eating. The concept of snacking and grazing is a very new concept, like within the past few decades.

Humanity has done Intermittent Fasting (unwittingly) for thousands of years.

I'm not an IF 'pusher' or anything, and I don't think diet in general is a one-size-fits-all proposition, but for certain people (like me) it's a real godsend.

As far as shifting my mentality, that actually was the greatest benefit for me. Instead of worrying about how much to eat now, how many calories to save till later, what if I forget about something I ate, I can just congeal every thing down to a much smaller window that I have to worry about.

For me, it is easily 4 or 5 hours after I get up that I am actually hungry. At that point, I will drink one or two cups of hot tea to satisfy me until it's time to eat.

If you think about your diet right now, I bet you could pinpoint about a 4 or 5 hour window in the day where you are actually hungry. It's rare that people are hungry from the time they get up until the time they go to bed. It's really just a matter of taking that window of time and giving yourself that, and not eating outside of it.

For me, it simplifies matters, rather than complicating them.

I exercise whenever I want to. I know that it's best to do heavy lifting some time around when I eat, but honestly I don't sweat it either way. Most of the time, I do a 60 minute walk and then about 3 days a week I do lifting as well.

I just do it when I want to and don't worry about how close it comes to my eating. It's not like I'm a bodybuilder or anything, so it's not really that exact of a science. I have never had any problems with it.

I also take stomach medication without eating and without issue. And I take allergy pills and shots (I get four allergy shots a week), without eating around it, and it doesn't cause any problem.

I also drink hot tea throughout the day. It's black tea with splenda and fat free half and half. Occasionally I'll drink something else (like a diet green tea) but I am something of a hot tea addict. I drink about 4 ~ 16 oz hot teas per day. :^: LOL.

Most people that do IF are not that strict with drinks, although if they have calories, it can obviously add up.

Rosinante
03-13-2011, 04:42 AM
I don't really understand your question though. After the initial adjustment period you're just not feeling that massive hunger that might cause one to binge during your normal fasting period.

Because I can't think of a single time when I binged due to hunger.
Sounds like I'm not mentally equipped for IF but I always like to read about others' experiences.

indiblue
03-13-2011, 05:26 AM
Additional questions for katy, John, and anyone else who IFs--

1. How strict is the term "fast"? Does it take just one calorie to break the fast, or is intaking a very small number of calories (25? 50?) in the morning still low enough to reap the benefits of lower insulin levels and all the other chemical reactions which occur during a fasting state?

2. The article JohnP posted differentiated between truly sedentary fasting (lying completely still, which requires I think something like 16-18 hours between eating) and real life fasting (14-16ish hours) due to the individual moving around, expending calories, etc. By this logic if I were to exercise moderately for 1 hour in the mornings, could I decrease my fasting time? Or did I misinterpret the relationship between calories expended and the length of the fast?

Thanks in advance, all!

timkerbelle
03-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Because I can't think of a single time when I binged due to hunger.
Sounds like I'm not mentally equipped for IF but I always like to read about others' experiences.

I personally find that this is the greatest benefit of IF in my limited experience. IF seems to calm me down significantly so I think less about food, and apparently it also helps with insulin which at least in my case can lead to massive carb binges.

supergir111
03-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey indiblue,
I will just speak from my limited experience but the most I will have during fasting times is coffee/tea with 50ml of skim milk over the course of a few coffees. I know this is 17.5 calories but I still don't consider it to have broken my fast (perhaps it has)
I regularly partake in exercise before I have broken my fast, I still don't eat before 2pm. If anything exercise decreases my appetite. It's not like I intentionally exercise while fasting it's just that I sometimes have to do a lot of physical activity before 2pm. If I were experincing negative effect from doing this such as dizziness or extreme fatigue I would probably eat sooner even if it were before 2pm

mkendrick
03-13-2011, 11:46 AM
I have done both the daily IF (only eating during a certain time window of the day) and weekly IF (not consuming any calories for 24 hours). Even when I'm doing the weekly IF, I follow daily IF out of habit and preference.

A few undeniable truths about yours truly are 1) As much as I love food and eating, I abhor the thought of eating in the morning. It's just the last thing I want to do, but I LOVE eating at night. And 2) I like freaking HUGE meals. Finally 3) The more frequently I eat, the more I think about food. Considering these facts, try to imagine me forcing myself into the 5-6 mini meals per day routine. I did it for about two months and I was miserable. I choked down breakfast and a morning snack, and then I watched the clock obsessively for the time for my next mini meal. I could think about nothing else other than the next time I'd get to eat. When I did eat, that small little meal or planned snack juuust barely took the edge off my hunger enough for me to obsessively wait for the next mini meal. B the afternoon and evening I was wishing I had the calories left that I had stuffed down my throat in the morning. And, mind you, these were whole healthy food choices. Lean protein, high fiber, complex carbs, etc. Sure, I was losing weight, but I was becoming an anxious starving food-obsessed nutcase.

So I threw that garbage out the window. I started eating my first meal no earlier than noon, and I absolutely prefer to eat later than that. I'm thrilled if I'm just starting to eat around 2-3pm. I can honestly say I do not get hungry before that. Sometimes I'll eat at noon just because I'm bored and it's "lunch time" and I think I need to eat. And I do, but that's not because I'm truly hungry. Generally, I eat either two HUGE meals and a few substantial snacks or three HUGE meals. I feel like I'm eating sooo much food which truly pleases my gluttonous brain, haha. But really, it's a normal amount of food just packed into a smaller time frame. And it did not affect the rate of my weight loss at all, it just made the process easier.

So I find daily IF fasting easy. It's just how my brain and stomach prefer it, and it didn't require much discipline. Weekly IF took a bit more focus. It was hard the first few weeks, I won't lie, but it was definitely more mental than true hunger. I didn't eat anything between my dinner of Saturday until the dinner of Sunday. 7pm to 7pm. It was more of a mental struggle because I set myself up with dreading the thought "oh nooo, I can't eat anything today, I'm going to starve!" But after practicing it for a few weeks, I realized that that was all in my head. In reality, I felt bright, alert, and perfectly fine. Weekly IF helped me break out of my plateau during the last phase of weight loss and helped me lose those last stubborn pounds.

TooManyDimples
03-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Our eating preferences are very similiar mkendrick. I've been doing the six meals a day and just keeping my early day meals smaller so that I can enjoy more food in the evening. I don't actually feel hungry very often, but I hardly ever feel completely satisfied and I am always thinking about the next meal. It's exhausting spending the whole day thinking about food food food.

I'm really psyched about trying IF. I've decided I'm going to do daily and my eating window is going to be between 2pm and 8pm. I can see this working out for me very well. I might adjust the hours a bit up and down depending on how my body responds to it, but I'm thinking this might be perfect for me.

Glad the OP started this thread. =)

mkendrick
03-13-2011, 01:08 PM
TooManyDimples, I think a lot of people are like us. People who prefer to eat a lot at one time and who are hungrier later in the day. Unfortunately, the "mini meal" and "planned snacks" concepts are the most widely endorsed models these days. So many of us are trying to stuff ourselves into molds that we simply don't fit in.

I'd highly suggest trying daily fasting. Who knows, it may not work for you, but you may discover that it's fanfreakingtastic like I did. I think eating between 2-8pm is perfectly legitimate...that's generally my window. I don't really have a defined time period (except no food before noon), but I don't usually get legitimate hunger feelings until 2. Don't be discouraged if you feel hungry earlier than that. Like I said, I'm NOT a morning eater, but after months of forcing myself to eat at 7am, 9am, and noon...my body was angry that I hadn't fed it at 7am and 9am for a few days. But I got used to it quick and I'm back to feeling disgusted at the thought of eating before noon, lol. And I'm ALWAYS thrilled that I get to eat so much food in the afternoon and evening, hehe.

junebug41
03-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I found a lot of benefits to it. I follow a daily IF pattern. I'm still consuming a normal amount of calories, but I give my body some time to digest the food. I've noticed a few things:

-I don't feel ravenous when I break the "fast" (a term I use rather loosely because it doesn't typically exceed 12-15 hours).
-It's so much easier for me to keep track of what I've eaten.
-I'm able to pay attention to hunger cues. In turn, I'm able to recognize feeling full more effortlessly than I when I was eating mini-meals.
-I don't experience sugar rushes/crashes like I used to, which is also related to cutting sugar.

I do not like eating several times a day (mini-meals) and I had to accept that that was ok. It had been drilled into my head that in order to lose weight you have to keep your metabolism "up" by constantly feeding yourself. This is simply not true for me. This could be related to my pcos/IR. It really has curbed my grazing behavior and has made my meal planning easier to manage as well.

jendiet
03-13-2011, 02:19 PM
since, i am pretty sure my problem is insulin resistance, that explains WHY this WOE worked for me in the past, not only would i see the weight go, my body would be restructured due to the resensitizing of my insulin receptors. The ONE TIME i was successful with weight loss and kept it off for 2 years was due to IF, i used the fasting for 24 hours approach, on one day and off the other, i also fasted for prayer and getting closer to God, so that made it more motivating to me.

Before i got pregnant, i learned of the fast 5 approach, i saw great results from that as well. I do agree you need to get used to the WOE. Right now my hunger is so scattered, but usually my hunger doesn't really hit until 1 pm or so like johnP said.

if you have any type of insulin resistance, this WOE is good for you. If you do have it your body is in a CONSTANT fed state anyways. Sugar is available in your bloodstream and all you have to do is burn it off, but if you are constantly feeding you are constantly spiking your blood sugar and insulin levels which only aggravates the problem.

A GREAT BOOK , WHERE I ACTUALLY first learned about insulin resistance is the "Carbohydrate Addict's Diet". Folloiwng that WOE I found i could actually go 5-6 hours in between meals not hungry.

TooManyDimples
03-13-2011, 02:19 PM
TooManyDimples, I think a lot of people are like us. People who prefer to eat a lot at one time and who are hungrier later in the day. Unfortunately, the "mini meal" and "planned snacks" concepts are the most widely endorsed models these days. So many of us are trying to stuff ourselves into molds that we simply don't fit in.

I'd highly suggest trying daily fasting. Who knows, it may not work for you, but you may discover that it's fanfreakingtastic like I did. I think eating between 2-8pm is perfectly legitimate...that's generally my window. I don't really have a defined time period (except no food before noon), but I don't usually get legitimate hunger feelings until 2. Don't be discouraged if you feel hungry earlier than that. Like I said, I'm NOT a morning eater, but after months of forcing myself to eat at 7am, 9am, and noon...my body was angry that I hadn't fed it at 7am and 9am for a few days. But I got used to it quick and I'm back to feeling disgusted at the thought of eating before noon, lol. And I'm ALWAYS thrilled that I get to eat so much food in the afternoon and evening, hehe.

Thanks! =) It's kind of funny because I did get some hunger signals around my usual eating times. I guess my body did adapt to the 6 meals a day even if my mind never did. I'm sure I'm going to have an adjustment period and I'm cool with that. I just drink some hot tea and I'm good. =)

JohnP
03-13-2011, 02:39 PM
1. How strict is the term "fast"? Does it take just one calorie to break the fast, or is intaking a very small number of calories (25? 50?) in the morning still low enough to reap the benefits of lower insulin levels and all the other chemical reactions which occur during a fasting state?

2. By this logic if I were to exercise moderately for 1 hour in the mornings, could I decrease my fasting time? Or did I misinterpret the relationship between calories expended and the length of the fast?

The guy I "follow" is Martin Berkhan. He says under 50 calories will not raise insulin enough to screw up the benefits of the fast. To keep it safe I keep things under 25.

He normally has his male clients follow a 16 hour fast and his female clients a 14 hour fast having found many female don't do as well on a longer fast. From what I have read many people do longer than 16 hours so you'll have to experiment and find what works for you. I do 16-17 hours every day.

pinkflower
03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I too am so pleased to read this thread. I have found that I tend to eat the majority of my calories between 2p-7p, although I never thought of it as fasting. I do have a light meal/snack at about 10 am plus coffee--typically under 250 cals total, so I'm not truly fasting, but that' just when my hunger kicks in. I'm hardly ever in the mood for more. On days that I lift heavy weights, I have to force myself to eat a little heavier, otherwise I'm not able to lift as much. Sometimes/rarely I feel hungrier in the morning, and I just listen to my body and eat more on those days.

On days that I know I will splurge because of an event, I have recently found that fasting is much much more effective at reducing my calories than going to the event not hungry, because I tend to eat a similar amount whether I've eaten before or not. Going in and refusing to eat, or vowing to eat less doesn't work very well because either I cave, or I get all sorts of odd questions about why I'm "starving" myself etc. that I don't feel like dealing with. Not that fasting before doesn't mean I don't make good choices, but I can eat more than I would on a typical day without worrying. If I am ravenous, I can just eat an apple to calm down the beast before going in and still be confident I will make healthy choices even when faced with tempting foods :D

This daily 14 hr fast is intriguing to me. I will have to read up more on it and may try it instead of having that small "meal/snack" about 10 except for lifting days. It sounds like my body will adapt. My main goal is to maintain/gain muscle mass and be healthy, and it does sound like that has many benefits without sacrificing those goals (which is what many people probably think of when they think of fasts: ie fasting=starving oneself)

serendipity907
03-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I really like this approach, and I wish it was more recognized as much as the small meals every few hours.

Sometimes I have definitely abused this kind of thing purely as an excuse for dysfunctional eating patterns, but when done properly I think it's great.

The thought of eating 5-6 smalls meals every day fills me with dread. I think about food nonstop anyway, I can't do eating every few hours! Definitely around 2pm-7pm for me, but with plenty of water early morning :) Also definitely prefer eating larger quantities of food instead of small meals.

mkendrick
03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
I really like this approach, and I wish it was more recognized as much as the small meals every few hours.

Sometimes I have definitely abused this kind of thing purely as an excuse for dysfunctional eating patterns, but when done properly I think it's great.

The thought of eating 5-6 smalls meals every day fills me with dread. I think about food nonstop anyway, I can't do eating every few hours! Definitely around 2pm-7pm for me, but with plenty of water early morning :) Also definitely prefer eating larger quantities of food instead of small meals.

I've found that I have the LEAST amount of problems with the desire to overeat, binge, excessively restrict, or plain old obsess over food when I'm doing intermittent fasting. Even when I'm doing weekly 24-hour fasts. I have had brief periods of time where I was excessively restricting (I ate about 500 calories/day for a week), and there is a distinct difference in my mindset and behavior between restricting and fasting. I'm happy and content and calmly in control when I'm doing a 24 hour fast. I'm desperately grasping for something resembling control when I'm restricting.

If anything IF, especially the 24 hr fasts, taught me how to manage my hunger. It helps me understand the difference between brain munchies and true physical hunger. It also shows me that a little bit of hunger isn't going to kill me, and it's not something to fear. When I'm doing a full day fast, I embrace the hunger. I make myself consciously aware of the signals that my body is sending me and how they're different from that nagging "I wanna eat" false hunger feelings. I recognize the fact that yes, I feel some hunger, but it's nothing to be afraid of. And then when I have that meal to break the fast, I savor and appreciate the food. All in all, it's a very positive experience for me.

krampus
03-13-2011, 10:16 PM
I am interested in trying this out. I think perhaps part of what has caused me to binge/graze constantly/never stop thinking about eating is the idea of snacks and planned meals and stressing over making sure I eat X at X time. A good indicator for me is how on weekends I am perfectly content to wait until late to eat. Also, in the past I lost weight just fine eating one or two big meals a day and waiting until the afternoon.

We'll see. For now, it's been very educational and encouraging reading about people's experiences with IF. It's an approach I am strongly considering to regulate my ferocious graze urges.

Monique
03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Interesting indeed. Thank you all for sharing your information and experiences. This could be something that may work very well for me. As some of you have mentioned of yourselves, I'm not a morning eater either and I realized that after reading this thread and I remembered all the times I skipped breakfast over the years and it wasn't a big deal to me.

Lately, I've been doing the five meal a day thing which definitely has been helping with maintaining weight but since I haven't been really giving it my ALL....I haven't really seen weight loss because of it yet. I remember years back when I really TRIED...yes, the weight seemed to melt off of me but still, it's always nice to research and try something new and deep down, I'm not really into forcing myself to eat :).

Me likey. LOL....I'm gonna go do a little research :)

Monique

jendiet
03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
i agree with mkendrick about the fasting resetting your hunger clock. When i first did this in 2001, i noticed the hunger on my 24 hr fasts, but it didn't really bother me, because i knew i could eat the next day.

i also hate eating small meals...and would feel obsessive about food if i had to...Fast 5 reintroduced me to it with daily fasts. I learned about alternate day fasting through the Bragg books. I also mixed a little bit of honey with acv and water and sipped on it throughout a 24 hr fast. I never felt a lack of energy, like i said i did feel hunger though.

i would also rather sleep than eat breakfast, but if i am eating on a schedule, i am constantly hungry.

i think the hardest part is finding your window. if i let my window go too late, i wouldn't see as good results. With fast 5, you can alternate your eating window too.

i am not sure if it will be ok for my milk supply to do the fast 5 after the baby is born. oh so you know with fast 5, you only eat 5 hours a day.

JohnP
03-14-2011, 12:22 AM
If anything IF, especially the 24 hr fasts, taught me how to manage my hunger. It helps me understand the difference between brain munchies and true physical hunger.

THIS

indiblue
03-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks OP and everyone else for your input. You are pretty convincing spokespersons for the IF model. mkendrick you make such a great point about how the concept of eating multiple small meals only induces constant thinking about hunger. As a total foodie I would definitely fall into this category.

It's interesting because the diet world says OVER AND OVER AGAIN that you never want to feel full, you want to just eat until satiated, because the stomach is 20 minutes behind the brain, etc. What it does is leaves us - or at least me- constantly roving and grazing for a little bit of food here and there. I never feel full but I'm definitely eating way more than I should.

In this way, it seems like IF has two major benefits:
1. Extending the length of time for reduced insulin levels, higher percentage of fat burned during the fasting state
2. Reducing the number of calories one intakes by configuring the body's desire to graze/binge.

The second benefit may vary from person to person depending on eating habits, but I may be one of those people for whom it benefits.

Anyway will definitely be playing around with this model. Thanks all, and to katydid for starting this thread.

JohnP
03-14-2011, 01:06 AM
It's interesting because the diet world says OVER AND OVER AGAIN that you never want to feel full, you want to just eat until satiated, because the stomach is 20 minutes behind the brain, etc. What it does is leaves us - or at least me- constantly roving and grazing for a little bit of food here and there. I never feel full but I'm definitely eating way more than I should.

Martin does a nice review of a recent study that showed fewer larger meals were more satisfying than many small ones. (http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/three-meals-superior-for-appetite.html)

Katydid77
03-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Additional questions for katy, John, and anyone else who IFs--

My rule is under 50ish calories, and really nothing 'solid'. Honestly, all I do is drink the hot tea (that has 25 calories) or some zero calorie drink like water, unsweetened tea, etc.

Fluids I don't try to limit at all, but I do watch that the calories don't get really out of whack.

2. The article JohnP posted differentiated between truly sedentary fasting (lying completely still, which requires I think something like 16-18 hours between eating) and real life fasting (14-16ish hours) due to the individual moving around, expending calories, etc. By this logic if I were to exercise moderately for 1 hour in the mornings, could I decrease my fasting time? Or did I misinterpret the relationship between calories expended and the length of the fast?

Thanks in advance, all!

I'll be honest and say that I really don't overthink it. I eat between 4pm and 10pm. Period. Before then, I drink zero calorie fluids and hot tea.

I don't complicate it past that. With my job, several days a week I have to be at work at 5am and work till 3pm. Doesn't change anything. I still eat during the same hours.

Also, because of my work schedule some days I workout early, say 10am, and other days I work out sorta late, say 6pm. Still, doesn't change anything.

I eat when I eat, simple as that.

If, for whatever reason, my eating somehow gets moved around (I had to go out to eat with family the other day at 2pm, for example), I start my 'window' then and end it 6/8 hours later. I still don't overthink it, I just take that and go with it.

I can't tell you the science and be impressive, but I can tell you that it works for me better than anything else ever has.

If it sounds 'do-able' at all for you (you know your own personality) then I would highly recommend that you try it. What do you have to lose??

indiblue
03-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the article John. Look forward to perusing more on why the six-meal-a-day model became so popular. It definitely caters to my weaknesses.

Katydid, thanks for your experiencing on spacing of meals and how you arrange your window. And yes, I'm already playing around with what works for me. I appreciate your bringing this topic to everyone's awareness!

Monique
03-14-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm gonna give it a go starting tomarrow and do it for a week straight and let you all know how it goes. I have a feeling this is going to be a really good thing for me. It'll be like weight has been lifted off my shoulders. No preasure....I eat between 3 and 7 and that's it! That's something I can easily follow.

Monique

indiblue
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Reporting in after Day One. Well, yesterday I didn't have anything until about 11:30/12 to test the waters, but today I intentionally delayed lunch. Ate nothing, drank nothing except for water until about 1:30 PM. Exercise for 1 hour from 9:45-10:45. I felt FINE, a bit of hunger pains at the end of my workout, but nothing gulps of water couldn't manage.

It was nice to have a larger lunch and dinner. I wasted some of my calories (I'm on a 1200 diet right now) on needless snacking (a handful of cereal and a banana, not that that's bad, I just wasn't hungry enough to need a snack), but I snacked WAY less than I usually do in the afternoon, and on healthier stuff. Look forward to keeping this up.

mkendrick
03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm glad this thread is helping people :) Even though I had already lost about 30lbs doing the 5-6 meals/day, I think I owe my weight loss success and absolutely my maintenance success so far to IF. Mini meals were NOT sustainable to me, IF is just a no brainer lifestyle that I can easily maintain. I discovered IF kind of on accident, just because I was frustrated and decided I'd do it MY way. As in save all my calories for the afternoon and evening instead of force myself to follow the mini meal schedule. It was like a weight off my shoulders, and I literally was losing weight still, so I stuck with it. And later found out about daily IF and then tried weekly IF. It's unfortunate that IF is still such an "underground" concept in the dieting world because I think sooo many personalities mesh with it. It's certainly against the grain of most 95% of all dieting advice that is mostly thrown at us. Even on 3FC, any time somebody mentions "fasting," it's considered taboo. (And understandably so, I absolutely understand that 3FC doesn't endorse unhealthy crash diets or starvation diets which "fasting" could easily be confused with). Anyways, my point is, I'm glad that this thread has spread the word a little bit :)

For those of you who are just starting, I'll say again to not get discouraged if you still feel hungry at early times. I certainly did when I was transitioning. But I'm a save-the-best-for-last kinda person, and I would think to myself "Do I really want to use those calories now or would they be better later after all my studying is done?" This is when you're feeling out your hunger feelings and learning that a little twinge of hunger isn't gonna kill you. Just keep asking yourself "can I wait another hour for lunch?" I STILL ask myself those questions. Before you know it, it'll be 3pm and you'll get to eat a huge meal, a snack, and another huge meal, and maybe another snack (or however you choose to distribute your food) within a few hours and go to bed full and happy. For those of you who are grazers, you CAN graze in IF. Imagine those 6 mini meals spread between 3-8pm. That's more than a meal per hour! Pretty much constant nonstop ON PLAN eating, lol.

Katydid77
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I totally agree MKendrick!

That is what I do. I usually drink my first cup of hot tea with my first real 'hunger' pain of the day. I drink a big ol' 16oz cup and that easily sets me for an hour or so. It's not really hard for me to wait until 4pm.

A couple of points to add to the convo here:

Yesterday I read an interesting piece of an article on how, with IF, the 'window' of time tends to be fall into being smaller for women and larger for men. In other words, women tend to like to keep the window between 6 and 8 hours (some actually preferring 4), while men like to spread it a bit and give themselves an 8 or even 10 hour window. Probably has something to do with the fact that men get more calories to start with. LOL

Secondly, I firmly believe that the 5-6 mini meals thing was deliberately predicated by the food and diet industry. Think about all the 'big' guys out there WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc . . what is all their product based around? It's about buying those mini things (like meal bars) and eating them several times a day. All of them make their real money on the person stocking up on these small items.

In the food industry, it's the same way. Do you know how much money is being made by the 100 calorie snack things right now? Think about how much self space they are allotting them in the grocery store. That doesn't even take into account the lean cuisines, the fiber bars, the protein bars, etc. The food industry does not make money off of people NOT eating, they make the most money off of selling these wayyyyy overpriced prepacked mini prep things.

I was looking the other day at some 100 cal snack chocolate pretzels. In walmart, they were $2.50 a box. There were 6 bags with .75 oz in each. That means they are getting $2.50 out of 4.5 ounces of pretzels! Yet if I went straight to the other isle I could get a 16 oz bag for around $5. That is an unbelievable markup, just for packaging. I won't even go into the prepacked oatmeal and such . .

I'm not saying the weight loss or food industry is evil. They are just doing what they do, promoting their products and trying to make money. The concept of 5-6 mini meals is a cash cow to them, and they aren't exactly lying. You can lose weight eating 5-6 mini meals a day, so long as at the end of the day you are consuming less calories than your body is expending, and you do that routinely enough to create a genuine deficit.

When I was a little girl, we had these little birdies that hopped around our yard. Daddy told us kids that if you could sprinkle salt on their tails that we could catch them. We spent a whole summer running around the yard with salt shakers in our hands, trying to put salt on their little tails, no doubt providing the adults with a full summer of entertainment. After several weeks, Dad called us all to the side and told us that the salt was inconsequential, if we could get close enough to sprinkle the salt, then we could catch the birds no matter what. It was a classic example of misdirection.

That's the same way it is with the 5-6 mini meal myth. That is classic misdirection. The mini meals have nothing to do with losing weight, its all about calories in vs. calories out. However is best for you to accomplish that, is what you need to discover in your own personal dietary habits.

As reasonable human beings its up to us to make sure we continue to view the diet and food industries for what they are,and not view them as philanthropic industries. Recognize that they have an agenda the same as we do.

Their agenda is to make money and my agenda is to lose weight. I am going to do that in the way that is best for me. And, for me, IF works the best.

JohnP
03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
As much as I love conspiracy theory the 5-6 small meals vs 3 bigger meals came from really poorly designed studies like this one ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14067443?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg

As well as other studies which showed an inverse correlation between meal frequency and obesity.

In a way it reminds me of breakfast. While there is a lot of correlation between eating breakfast and health what it really boils down to is the true correlation is between having regular eating habits vs irregular habits.

Even though those of us following IF don't eat breakfast we are still following regular healthy eating habits.

Linsy
03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I've heard about this and might officially try it. This is actually the way I naturally like to eat anyway because I hate breakfast and usually don't get hungry until around 1-2PM. I like to skip breakfast, eat lunch, maybe have a small snack and then have dinner. I actually don't like snacking much, I prefer big filling meals.

Katydid77
03-14-2011, 01:49 PM
As much as I love conspiracy theory the 5-6 small meals vs 3 bigger meals came from really poorly designed studies like this one ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14067443?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg

As well as other studies which showed an inverse correlation between meal frequency and obesity.

In a way it reminds me of breakfast. While there is a lot of correlation between eating breakfast and health what it really boils down to is the true correlation is between having regular eating habits vs irregular habits.

Even though those of us following IF don't eat breakfast we are still following regular healthy eating habits.

It's not a conspiracy theory.

I am aware of those studies. My point is that it only makes sense for the diet/food industry to promote the studies that make them money.

There are all kinds of studies out there, it's the studies that are picked up and promoted as being relevant to dietary weight loss that are given the most credence.

One main reason that IF is taking so long to get in the mainstream, is that there are no direct beneficiaries to its predication. A few book authors perhaps, a few online 'gurus', but that's about it.

It's not conspiracy to say that industries will promote the studies that tend to benefit them the most.

There is no evil plot, it's capitalism at work. I don't blame anyone, or any company, I just realize that dietary concerns are an industry, not a philanthropic endeavor.

timkerbelle
03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
It's not a conspiracy theory.

I am aware of those studies. My point is that it only makes sense for the diet/food industry to promote the studies that make them money.

There are all kinds of studies out there, it's the studies that are picked up and promoted as being relevant to dietary weight loss that are given the most credence.

One main reason that IF is taking so long to get in the mainstream, is that there are no direct beneficiaries to its predication. A few book authors perhaps, a few online 'gurus', but that's about it.

It's not conspiracy to say that industries will promote the studies that tend to benefit them the most.

There is no evil plot, it's capitalism at work. I don't blame anyone, or any company, I just realize that dietary concerns are an industry, not a philanthropic endeavor.

What you are saying makes complete absolute sense to me. I don't watch tv much, but every time I do there is at least two adverts for snack foods, be it little yoghurt pots, packs of chocolate crispy things (?!) and other pre packaged calorie counted mini meals aimed at women (always women) trying to lose weight.

When I tried the mini meal approach I was profoundly unhappy. I was constantly thinking about food, obsessing about food, and being dissatisfied that I could never ever eat until I was full.

The diet industry is fracking huge. Of course companies will highlight the studies that will help them make money. And the "small frequent meal" thing is one of them.

carter
03-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for this thread, folks, I have really enjoyed it even though I don't have a dog in the hunt, so to speak. I don't think IF is for me, though it's been quite fascinating to read everyone's experiences with it, and I'm delighted to hear that it's working well as a tactic for so many of you.

I just want to point out that the dichotomy between mini-meals and IF is a bit of a straw man - there are ways of eating that fall in between the two. My own current way of eating (always subject to revision, of course, which is part of why I read this thread with such interest) generally includes a very light breakfast, a large lunch, a large dinner, and a snack or two at other times in the day when I need or want one. There might be 5 or 6 eating events spread throughout the day but it's not 6 uniform mini-meals - I definitely eat two very voluminous meals each day and enjoy the feeling of being full after them.

Kasey87
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm glad this thread is active.

I'm on my 4th week doing IF and I'm definitely converted lol

I'd been doing the ESE version but I thought I'd be more suited to daily IF so I downloaded the fast-5 ebook (the couple live in my hometown! :D how cool!) and it's just so easy and much more satisfying to me. I'm relieved to not be a "slave" so to speak, to breakfast. Because for so many years, that is what every magazine, article, or anything else about weight loss promoted. I feel a million times better and have much more "natural-feeling" energy with this lifestyle. I really couldn't be happier with it. And, I'm actually still losing weight which is the cherry on top of how good I feel.

Katydid- I'm like you and don't make it more complicated then it has to be, which is most of the beauty of IF for me. I just have my window of 4 to 9 and enjoy 2 nice sized meals and a snack or two. I'm also a big hot tea drinker and have the occasional decaf coffee, lots of water.

If IF can get me down to my goal and maintain, I will be so ecstatic.

krampus
03-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Trying it out today. It's about 11 am and I haven't eaten anything solid yet, just drunk lots of coffee and water. I am hungry and lunch will be a welcome break to the fast, but I feel much calmer than if I had eaten breakfast. I find that chewing anything, even gum, keeps me in "obsessed" mode.

This could be the start of an absolutely fantastic new way of life...!!! Maybe it's all that coffee talking, but I feel so hopeful.

Katydid77
03-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Trying it out today. It's about 11 am and I haven't eaten anything solid yet, just drunk lots of coffee and water. I am hungry and lunch will be a welcome break to the fast, but I feel much calmer than if I had eaten breakfast. I find that chewing anything, even gum, keeps me in "obsessed" mode.

This could be the start of an absolutely fantastic new way of life...!!! Maybe it's all that coffee talking, but I feel so hopeful.

Let us know how it goes! The first couple of days you might want to kind of ease into it. Set your 'window' slightly later each day, until you get to where you want to be.

I hope it turns out to be good for you.

Monique
03-15-2011, 02:35 AM
Day one was a success! I love. I set my window for 3:00p.m. to 7 p.m. mainly because I go to lunch around 3 every day at work and also, I can't lie, I'm not in the mood to have people questioning me about "starving myself" so at least they'll see me eating and stay off my case (not everyone understands that fasting can be good for you). LOL.

As I expected would happen, my stomach let me know what it was hungry about after 10 this morning and growled here and there until I ate at 3 p.m. I ignored it! I stayed strong and pulled through :). What I love so far about IF is that I'm so focused on fasting until my eating window is open that I have NO urges to snack throughout the day and let me tell you guys: I'm a line cook at a casino! we're around food all day! we're allowed to taste the food, sneak bites here and there so it's soooo hard! But I'm proud of myself for getting through the first day.

One part I was bad in today: at three, when it was time to eat, I ordered a cheese burger with onion rings on the side with an ice coffee (sweet). Later on, around 4:30 I bought a blackberry gelato. Around 6 p.m., I ate a bean and cheese burrito with sour cream on the side when I was technically still full from the other stuff. At least I'm being honest. Haha. But hey, it's my first try and I'm still proud of myself for eating within the hours I planned to :). I'm totally fine with not eating TOTALLY healthy every day :).

Geez, I think we're gonna need our own IF section soon. :)

Monique

lauralyn
03-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Ok, so I gave it a shot yesterday and will continue and see how it goes. I drank coffee and water until 1 pm and set my time for 1-7 but I actually was done eating by 6 pm. I felt totally full all afternoon and at night. My stomach did growl LOUDLY for a few hours in the morning but by 11:30 that had passed and I actually was not very hungry at 1.

I did not count calories yesterday which I should do because after entering my info into My Daily Plate I was over my caloric allowance by almost 200 calories but it was all healthy food such as veggies and tuna so I am not too worried and I am really hoping this will work for me!

mkendrick
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Props to everyone who is trying it out!!!

I don't have much else to add except to repeat the advice that has already been stated when starting IF. Expect some hunger when you're not eating at regular times. Gradually push your eating times later and later. Eat smaller and smaller "meals" at your regular earlier times. If you have had a big breakfast everyday, reduce that down to one apple or something. You'll be thrilled that you have the calories to play with later in the day, and eventually, you may be willing to give the apple up also for a true fast.

Also, just as regular spread out meals are not for everyone, IF isn't for everyone either. If you try it and hate it, no harm done :)

krampus
03-15-2011, 10:29 AM
This was possibly the best day ever. Consider me a convert. I feel like prehistoric man who has just discovered fire or something. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and convincing me to try it out!

TooManyDimples
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
It's going well for me too. The first day I ate at 2, then at 4, then at 6 and had some small snacks from 7:30 to 8. Yesterday I ate at 2, 5 and then had my snacks from 7:30 to 8. I think I liked eating 3 times more then 4 times so that's what I'm going to stick with. Hunger pangs were less of a problem on day 2 then 1 so hopefully they'll continue to decrease today and disappear by the end of the week. =) Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Really glad I found out about IF.

Katydid77
03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Awesome that folks are trying it out!

Yesterday was a 'hungry day' for me (PMS) and so I actually had real hunger pains earlier in the day, which is unusual for me. I still stuck to me window, but I had a big salad ready to eat at exactly 4pm. :D

That is always dangerous territory for me, because if I don't have an eating window, I do too many BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) and my calories wind up being way over no matter what. Since that window is there, I feel more in control of all of it, and I tend not to do that as badly.

Doesn't stop me from craving Five Guys right now though. LOL

I agree we need an IF thread. Should we just use this one since it is established? Or is there somewhere else where it should go? I am fairly new to 3FC and I'm not sure of the etiquette.

Monique
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, actually, I was thinking more like a section of the board dedicated to IF or fasting in general. That way we have a place to discuss it and those who are interested can join in and those who aren't comfortable with it yet can go else where. Just a thought though. For now, this is where we're posting :-).

Anyway, today I plan on doing a much better job then I did yesturday with the eating. My window opens at three this afternoon.

Monique

indiblue
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Checking in at Day 2: didn't eat anything, except a small nibble of muffin that I made just to see how it tasted, until about 4 PM. Had a big bowl of lentils and a muffin (homemade, bran), super full. Forced myself to eat dinner, ended up around 1100 calories. No urge to snack.

A bit worried about the weigh in tomorrow- I was 130.2 last night before going to bed/127.8 in the morning and today right before bed I'm 131. I don't usually lose more than 1-2 lbs overnight so I'm worried what I'll weigh in at tomorrow AM. Sorry for the needless fretting... I'm a chronic weigher :-/ bad habit.

Kasey87
03-15-2011, 03:29 PM
But hey, it's my first try and I'm still proud of myself for eating within the hours I planned to :). I'm totally fine with not eating TOTALLY healthy every day :).

The Dr. who wrote the fast-5 said it's very common for people to overcompensate their eating when they first start out and to not feel bad about it. Like you said, you should be proud that you were able to accomplish eating within your window.. and it will get easier to eat healthier once you are more accustomed to eating this way.

When I started, I was eating a mix of unhealthy foods and healthier foods, but now I find a lot of the processed foods just makes me feel worse later and the next day, doesn't mean I don't still have treats, but I'm aware of what their effect is... it's also nice to know that I can splurge on a restaurant dinner during my window and not feel bad about it.

My friend is like "Man, I don't see how you stay slim eating like you do!" I've told her what I'm doing but I guess she just ignores that part and is only seeing me enjoying the meal at the time.

I also didn't do any exercise besides walking a lot.. I've started some strength training last week and I'm going to be doing that 3x a week. :carrot:

berryblondeboys
03-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I accidentally didn't eat until 2 pm today. First, i have to take a thyroid medicine, so i never eat right away. Second, my son didn't wake up until 10:30 so i didn
T think to eat while he was still sleeping. and then I was in a rush to get him to school. Got him there, had a drink, sat at the computer a bit, decided to work out and then afterwards I would eat.

So now it's 3:30 pm and i've just now eaten what would normally be my breakfast and I,m full. Dinner will be around 6 pm and I never eat after 6 pm. I still have over 1000 calories for the day. Do you find that you actually feel you need to eat less with IF? And why is that? Old wisdom saidnit was becaus the metabolism never got a quick start in the day. New wisdom refuted that? Or, more likely, no one really knows for sure? You can find studies to back up everything.

Not sure i'm going to head down this route, but maybe I will if it agrees with me like today. I simply wasn't hungry even when going to work out. (aerobically).

Monique
03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Kaseyy :). Yes, good point.

Today I was "good" and for lunch I had fruit, a snack bar and some yogurt. When I got home from work, I ate three small pieces of grilled chicken :). My stomach is already getting used to the new routine. My stomach didn't growl like crazy like it did yesturday while fasting :)

Monique

lauralyn
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Day 2 and I also had less stomach growling and hunger than on the first day. I think I stayed within my allowed calories too!

I will admit that both days I had my lunch made and ready to eat for exactly 1 pm. I had it made and sitting in the fridge and as soon as the clock hit 1 pm I was opening the door and grabbing food. I think with each passing day it will get easier since even on day 2 it was not as bad as on day 1.

I am looking forward to everyones updates!

TooManyDimples
03-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Day three went great. I had to run errands this afternoon and it took longer then I thought so I didn't eat my first meal till 3 and I wasn't hungry at all. =)

jendiet
03-15-2011, 10:50 PM
i think it is cool more and more people are trying this out. I remember when i told my group i was doing fast 5, i got all kinds of "be carefuls"....but i don't see anything wrong with this WOE. i'm not going to dare try it pregnant though.

i honestly think the reason why your body gets over being "hungry" during your not eating window is because it takes a little while to get the insulin receptor sites sensitized to insulin again. But once they do, your body learns how to usher insulin into the cell, and begin to burn off glucose, and then it learns how to find the stored fat and burn it off.

Like I said, i saw major restructuring of my legs and abdomen during my fast 5as the fat was burned for energy during the fasting state.

another AWESOME benefit of any type of fasting is the body's ability to repair itself. Digestive energy is tremendous and when you shut down that system for a period of time, your body heals, and replaces cells. Which in turn causes you to look younger and be healthier. I also fast for spiritual reasons because Jesus said "when" you fast, not "if" you fast.

I have some recommendations if you are thinking of trying the weekly fasts. Start eating completely clean, and stop eating meat, then start replacing some meals with healthy liquids--i liked low sodium v8. Then switch to only liquids...next...is your weekly fasting time.

you CAN just jump right in, but there will be repercussions...headaches shakiness, it is MUCH harder that way, if you decide to do it that way, your fast needs to be on a day you can rest and get relief from those symptoms...i've successfully fasted for 3 days at at time with this method, with very little problems.

a longer fast really resets your internal cravings, especially helpful if carbs and sweets make you want to binge. i found after the 3 day fasts, oranges and apples and veggies were so much better tasting and satisfied me like no donut or pastry could.

Monique
03-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Great job, everyone!

Thanks, jendiet (congrats on the baby on the way!). It's really nice to hear any informaton at all from people who are more experienced :). Yeah, I agree, I don't see anything wrong with this WOE either....in fact, I think it's genius! For the first time, I'm not even really thinking about food much at all! It's amazing. All I focus on is drinking my water, working out when I can and what I will eat when my eating window is open :). Not so sure I when I'll be able to do a FULL weekly fast but that's very good advice :). For now, I'm doing a 20 hour fast every day (that's my plan) which is close enough for now :).

Monique

Coondocks
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Im glad I had the time to read through all 5 pages, it makes perfect sense to me. Durring the week Im at my desk all morning with my water and coffee and I don't feel the need to eat until my lunch at 1, I've always been the type to loathe eating in the morning, not for lack of hunger every day just the thought of eating is blah.

I have tried the mini meals, tried eating breakfast consistently and it feels completely forced for me to do that - i didn't realize there was a 'way' that I was naturally eating that was, what seems, widely accepted as normal for more than just myself.

It gives me renewed hope, it's very exciting.

edit: How much of a window on average do you alot for? 6-8 hours seems like a big enough window to eat lunch at 1 and still leaves me open for dinner with my little guy for 7.

indiblue
03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Day 3. Worked out for an hour from 9:30-10:30. Was only hungry/had hunger pains from 8:30-9:15ish. Was fine after that. Ate at around 3:30ish. I had a decent-sized well-balanced lunch, but not enormous, then a dinner of pizza at 6:30. It was a splurge meal and I had a ton of calories to "spend" so I thought I would eat a lot of pizza. I only ended up eating three small pieces, totaling around 600-800 calories I'm estimating (haven't looked them up to log yet). I also had a bit more of a brownie, which totals not the best nutritionally or calorie-wise, but it's pretty good for a splurge meal. Plus I had the feeling that I got to eat whatever I want (which today meant a very appropriate amount number of slices, as opposed to the entire pizza :D) so that was nice.

Yay IF!

Katydid77
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM
edit: How much of a window on average do you alot for? 6-8 hours seems like a big enough window to eat lunch at 1 and still leaves me open for dinner with my little guy for 7.

Your 'window' is entirely up to you, but they range from 4 hours to 10 hours. I'm with some others, that it wouldn't be hard to do a four hour window, but it's not as practical, because you want to give yourself time to eat with family and such.

I think for women, the average is 6 to 8 hours. I have never met a woman that chose a 10 hour window, that is usually a guy thing. I suppose it's just because men have a lot more calories to work with anyway.

Personally, I usually go from 4pm to 10pm at night.

You can mark me down as one of the women that simply finds it easier to manage my dietary habits when food isn't really an 'option' for 18 hours a day. It seems to take the pressure off of me making decisions. Also, I am sick and tired of forcing myself to eat something that I don't want, when I don't want it, just because some diet outline says that I need to eat at certain times.

For whatever reason, I find this very empowering. :smug:

Rosinante
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
May I ask 2 practical and TMIish questions?

1. What do you do about hunger sounds? I don't have any problem with being/feeling/sounding hungry - except when I'm in a quiet meeting or prayer group. What do you hit the growlies with? And do the hunger sounds get less the more you do this?

2. What about The Bathroom? At present, my routine is breakfast then bathroom. Without the breakfast, I don't get the bathroom, at least not early in the day. And that can lead to food lying around there too long and making bowelly noises. Does the Bathroom pattern settle down too?

(Just realized, clearly I have Noise Issues !!!!! ;D )

mkendrick
03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Rosinante, I have similar issues.

For the hunger growlies, I find that a nice big glass of water or Crystal Light takes up enough space in my tummy to quiet the noise. Ever since I got used to IF, I almost LIKE the sensation of being hungry. I can't explain why, maybe it's just a light clean feeling and I know I'm about to get a big meal. Anways...onto issue "#2" hehehe...I normally have about a 45-minute window of time right after I wake up to <ahem> relieve myself. It's either going to happen or it's not. And for it to happen at all, I need to get something in my stomach to wake up my system and get it moving. Food worked when I was forcing myself to eat breakfast, but I've found that a 16oz mug of coffee or hot tea work just as well. This may be something that you need to gradually train yourself into. And also maybe try different things to see what works. Eat less and less food over the days while drinking more liquids. Hopefully it'll have the same effect.

TooManyDimples
03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I second what mkendricks said. I drink hot tea not only to take care of the hungry feeling, but I also have a cup first thing in the morning and it gets my bladder area moving. =) And the hungry feelings and sounds are going away. I'm on day 4 and I just had my first grumble of the day (it's a little past 1) and I have my first meal at 2. It's definitely going away.

Coondocks ~ My window is 6 hours. 2pm to 8pm. It's working well for me.

Coondocks
03-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Also, I am sick and tired of forcing myself to eat something that I don't want, when I don't want it, just because some diet outline says that I need to eat at certain times.

For whatever reason, I find this very empowering. :smug:

That's exactly how I feel and why this seems like a logical choice for me. I don't like the feeling 'forced' to eat when I'm not hungry and that's how it feels a lot of the time.

mkendrick
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Yep, choking down breakfast (and morning snacks) stinks when you don't want it. Other than coffee or tea, I simply have no desire to consume anything in the morning. I also forced myself to do it because it seems like that's what practically all how-to-diet advice says to do.

I'm so much happier now that I'm not shoving unwanted food down my throat, and I can enjoy those calories in bigger meals and snacks later in the day when I actually want them.

Caleighsmommy
03-16-2011, 03:32 PM
I've been reading all your posts and I think it's great that there's somewhere for IFers to chat. What are your guys thoughts on the up day down day diet?

LLBoldAsLove87
03-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Hey guys! I decided to give this a shot ... I like the idea because my friends like to get together to cook dinner a lot, but often the calorie count is over what I can normally allow for dinner (not crazy, but like 500 calories or so). But if I do IF, then I can have normal portions and not feel like the party pooper :-)

Its almost 2 and I've just had tea and water, I was a bit hungry before I had the tea, but then I was fine. I even just worked out (20 minutes eliptical, 20 minutes bike) and I didn't feel lightheaded or anything.

I love breakfast food though, so I still think I'm going to do eggs and some kashi cereal, even if its lunch time!

indiblue
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Another chime in on the bathroom thing- I also always was one of those people who went #2 after the first few bites of breakfast, so I was really curious to see how things would go without eating in the morning. I still go in the morning about the regular time, and I think it's because I'm eating such a bigger dinner. By the time I wake up I have two meals I've recently digested so that has kept me on a very regular schedule over the past couple of days.

Rosinante
03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Thankyou, that helps.

Missjessica
03-16-2011, 09:33 PM
This is so interesting! It's exactly what I think my body would do if I didn't make myself eat all these darn small meals, which seem to only make me hungrier for more and obsessive all day about what/when I'll eat next. It also seems to me that I'm always being told since I like to eat at night, that needs to change. This could be a revelation :) I'll try it out tomorrow. I do have a question about exercise. I take classes at the gym in the evening. Anyone have experience with working out during your window instead of mid-day?

krampus
03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Quick question - I am giving blood today around noon, is it advisable to go on an empty stomach? I ate late last night, my last calories were probably at 12:30 am :/

Missjessica
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't advise it, you're more likely to pass out if you donate on an empty stomach.

indiblue
03-17-2011, 12:24 AM
krampus also they will test various levels of your blood before you donate- iron, etc. If these are too low they won't let you give. That happened to me once and they told me to go eat a hamburger and come back. (I'm vegetarian but the point was well taken :D)

Katydid77
03-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Today was a pretty typical day for me, so I thought I would post my food for the heck of it.

Throughout the day: hot tea (50 cals)

4pm ~ grilled chicken sand from Chic-fil-a and kiddie icedream cone (500 cals)
6pm ~ chicken alfredo LC (280)
8pm~ cucumber salad (150)
8:30 pm ~ 4 pita chips and 1 tblsp dip (80)

Total: 1060

That is a lot to eat in 4 hours and I ended the day quite content. :smug:

Monique
03-17-2011, 02:39 AM
I made it through day three just fine. On to day four :)

Monique

indiblue
03-17-2011, 02:53 AM
So... I'm using 1 tsp of sugar in each of my 3-4 cups of tea during my fast time. I just realized- I know, I'm a quick one- that keeping blood sugar low during fasting is part of the whole purpose of IF. Am I undermining my fast? Should I switch to sugar substitute? Or is the amount of sugar I'm intaking so low that it's not worth worrying over?

krampus
03-17-2011, 03:56 AM
I ate before donating, figured the last thing I needed was to hold up my coworkers by being too woozy to get out of the bed. This was my 7th or 8th time giving blood. AB is apparently rare in Japan and there was a sign asking for AB donors. Happy I could help. Also cool was seeing my blood pressure and resting heart rate so much lower than the last time I had it taken (before I quit smoking).

lauralyn
03-17-2011, 06:39 AM
~Indiblue~I was wondering about the sugar in my coffee also. I am trying to add less and cut my consumption of coffee down to 2 cups in the morning but it will take time but I doubt I will ever drink black coffee or stop drinking it all together.

So yesterday was my third day and it was even easier than days 1 and 2. I had a can of tuna on a piece of toast and a dill pickle and two hard boiled eggs.

Then I has yogurt and blueberries for a snack and a little while later a couple more hard boiled eggs.

I had planned on a regular supper but we got tied up delivering a treadmill we were selling and running errands so I had a big bowl of raisin bran at the end of my window. I just need to plan things out a bit better in the future.

Oh and the scale said 146 this am and for the past couple of weeks it has been 147-149 because I have not been very active since I broke my tailbone a little over a month ago. I would really love to see it read 140-142!

JohnP
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Personally I would use artificial sweetener but a teaspoon of sugar doesn't have many calories so I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Missjessica
03-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Day one and it went pretty well! Stayed within my calories and everything. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Might need to break out the hot tea.

Monique
03-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Good morning ladies and gents. I'm starting day five of IF and I'm down 3.6 pounds this morning. To be honest, I wasn't expecting that at all. I could have possibly lost even more than that since I'm on that very annoying time of the month us ladies have that makes us gain about 5 pounds.

Anyway, I'm very happy and so glad this thread was created because I never really knew anything about IF before coming here. I know now that the five or six meal a day thing doesn't work for me as well as IF. Eating five meals a day helped me to maintain. IF is helping me to lose. THAT is what I want.

Monique

mkendrick
03-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Monique, congrats on the fantastic weigh in!

I'm wondering if there is any physiological difference in the way different people metabolize food throughout the day which results in better results in weight loss or maintenance. Meaning, it seems like people are very polar in their preference of how/when they eat throughout the day. Most of us on here find that we ABSOLUTELY prefer eating within a small window and simply don't do as well eating smaller more frequent meals. And on the other hand, there are people who couldn't fathom being comfortable or content eating within a window and HAVE to eat small meals all day. I wonder if that's a purely mental preference or if there's a difference in the way the different types metabolize food. I struggled with weight loss before IF, but once I started doing it, pounds melted off me. Was this simply because it was an easier plan for me to follow, or did my body just function better that way? Is the fact that I'm so comfortable eating within a small window my body's way of telling my brain what works best, or is it purely a mental preference?

JohnP
03-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I wonder if that's a purely mental preference or if there's a difference in the way the different types metabolize food. I struggled with weight loss before IF, but once I started doing it, pounds melted off me. Was this simply because it was an easier plan for me to follow, or did my body just function better that way? Is the fact that I'm so comfortable eating within a small window my body's way of telling my brain what works best, or is it purely a mental preference?

Having read quite a bit on the subject of IF I would tell you that calories matter. There may be a little bit of magic in how calories are partitioned but that is subject to debate.

One thing that for sure helps is that fat can be stubborn and when you're in a fasted state your body makes adaptations to help mobilize fat. You may notice that your extremities are cold when in a fasted state. The benefit of this is that with IF fat loss is most likely going to be more linear than eating 5-6 times a day and this is very helpful psychologically. The closer you get to your goal weight the more important this aspect of IF becomes.

At the end of the day though ... it simply comes does to compliance. IF makes dieting easier. Calories matter.

Monique
03-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Thank you, mkendrick. You bring up a good question/point. I really think it's both factors that come into play. For me, this is definitely easier to follow then anything else I've ever tried so it's going to help with my continued success for sure. Also, like John said, calories matter and with the fasting, these pounds are gonna melt off in no time. I'll be at a healthy 150 before I know it.

Monique

Missjessica
03-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I used to think that there were definitely preferences in eating patterns and grazing was just one of them. Then more and more it seemed eating 6 times/day was the way to go for everyone, so I've been trying to make it work for me as well. I do agree, calories count, but it does seem like bodies handle timing differently. Interesting!

Day 2 = Still going well! Monday is when I weigh in, we shall see... Can I just say that I love that I have 500 calories left right now and it's 8:30pm?? Sigh...that makes me much more happy than it probably should :rolleyes: Haha!

I'm loving your attitude, Monique! Keep up the good work, 150 will be here before you know it!

TooManyDimples
03-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Well I guess I'm offically a convert. =) I'm on day 6 of IF and I'm so much happier eating this way. I'm never going to force myself to eat smaller meals throughout the day again.

Monique, I'm going to try my best to catch up and then race you to 150 girl. =)

Katydid77
03-18-2011, 07:16 PM
I just gotta say, you girls are amazing!

I am so glad that IF is working for you, and it encourages me to keep on going myself.

I am having kind of a down day (not b/c of IF, just one of those days) and it made me feel so good to come in here and see these positive reports!

Gosh, ya'll are right, we are going to need a dedicated IF spot!! Please cheer me on to the 130's. I have been trying for months to get there, and I feel like it's within reach finally . . .

Missjessica
03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Katydid77: :cheer2:130, 130, 130! Go, Katy, Go! :cheer2: Just 4 more pounds and you're 13-something, you're doing great! And look at how many happy ladies you've brought into IF-world. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you! :hug:

TooManyDimples: Cute name! Growing up I always wanted dimples, but only two :)

Monique
03-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Thanks, Missjessica. Great job on your day two! Keep it up :)

Kim, the race is on! Haha, let's go. So glad it's working for you too :)

Katy, yeah, we do need our own section. LOL....but I guess since there's an IF post or two in the diet section we can continue our support system there after we use up this thread :). I imagine the moderators would eventually move us there anyway since it's a type of "diet".

Great work, everyone :)

Monique

Becky RN
03-19-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm also an IF convert. I'm finishing up day 3 and love it so far. I don't think I'll ever go back to 5 small meals a day. I'm soooo glad I read this post and you are very inspirational. My window is from 1pm-8pm and I'm feeling great. I also started the Insanity program 2 days ago so I'm hoping to be in the 140's soon.

gagalu
03-19-2011, 04:22 AM
IF is great.

Missjessica
03-19-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm in the middle of reading Fast-5, and it all just makes so much sense... I have a BS in Exercise Science, so I've studied a bit of nutrition, but even courses focus on studies done with mini meals and the dangers of going too long in between meals.
Day 3 going is well and the sun is out today :carrot: Makes me think of summer clothes and popsicles and going on holiday... Haha, can you tell what kind of weather I have most of the year?? Liquid sunshine ;) Enjoy your Saturday!

gagalu: Is this what you've been doing? Your loss is impressive!

Becky RN: Welcome weight loss twin! Day 3 for me, same height, same goal weight, and same mini goal of being in the 140's soon :D

Monique: Just curious, how many posts does it take to up a thread?

berryblondeboys
03-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Ok, I did the IF for three days and it was easy to do, but then yesterday I woke up famished, so I think it's important to listen to the body. I ate. Came in the same calorie-wise as I always do.

See, for me, eating 5 meals a day or doing IF are both doable for me. I will just go by how I feel. If I really feel the hunger in the first part of the day, I will eat. If not, I will not. I will also keep IF in mind on days I know a big dinner is planned. Like, in a couple weeks we are going out on a dinner date with friends. Instead of picking at my dinner, I will enjoy it by using my calories of the day then. I will still try to make it a good choice meal, but I won't fret as much about it taking me over for the day.

I also think low carb eating just makes IF so much easier. Low carbers (and I'm not even a grossly low carb eater - I still average about 100 carbs a day - mostly from veggies and an apple) have more balanced blood sugars, so spreading meals out like that is easier as their sugars don't spike.

Anyway, just my thoughts on it.

mkendrick
03-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Berry, I'm similar to an extent. I have never *wanted* to eat breakfast, so I don't wake up wanting to eat before noon. Just doesn't happen. So although I agree that one should listen to their body, and eat when they truly need to eat. For me, that means my official window is between noon-bedtime since that's the only time I ever want to eat. Sometimes I truly am hungry at noon, and so I eat. But I do prefer to not eat until 3-4pm, but I always ask myself if I'm hungry at noon. And if I am "hungry," I try to determine if I'm truly hungry or if I'm just bored and wanting to eat.

Coondocks
03-19-2011, 01:03 PM
3 days I've been IF and I have to say it's the first thing I've done that feels normal, natural and life long sustainable.
I am so glad a checked out this thread and all the help that has been offered.

I have been able to loose the water weight packed on by TOM and am now back to my ticker weight and feeling wonderful. It's nice not feeling sluggish in the mornings because i've forced myself to eat something.

It really is good for teaching yourself how to recognize true hunger vs boredom or other reasons to eat . . . I think i've finally found something sustainable.

And just a question, has anyone noticed that their energy levels are more consistent and high when eating this way? Im starting to notice that myself, as much as I can in 3 days :p

JohnP
03-19-2011, 02:38 PM
And just a question, has anyone noticed that their energy levels are more consistent and high when eating this way? Im starting to notice that myself, as much as I can in 3 days :p

A lot of people report this as well as a sense of peace and clear thinking during the fasting period.

mariarose
03-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi,
I hope I can join this thread-- I'm working on starting IF now. I'm so glad I read about it! A few years ago I lost 35 (150-115) pounds and maintained it fairly easily for over a year.

Then I started taking Zoloft for frequent panic attacks and my hunger became really... different and frequently unmanageable. I gained up to about 135 and have been unable to lose the weight while remaining on Zoloft. I don't want to give up the medication because being chubby is preferable to being panicked, and my quality of life is really great on the meds.
But still... I'd like to lose some weight!

I think IF might work because my hunger is definitely messed up, which it hadn't been before.
I've been gradually shrinking my eating window over the past few days -- yesterday was 6 hours, today I'm hoping for 5.

Reading your stories has been so great. Does anyone else have experiences with IF and antidepressants?

Kasey87
03-19-2011, 04:55 PM
mariarose, I would definitely recommend IF for your situation.. My weight gain was caused by meds too. I've been off all meds for a few years now, but I remember how I was hungry ALL the time (I've always had a big appetite anyway) so I know where you're coming from.

I would make sure you get lots of protein and nutrient rich foods so they will last you the 19 hours between your windows. This will help a lot.. coffee and tea helps too when you get hungry and of course lots of water.

Lately, I've been getting in all my healthy foods in at the beginning of my window and having less healthy stuff later, if I want any of at all. Good luck with it, let us know how you manage.

Is everyone on here doing daily IF? I discovered eat-stop-eat but then switched to daily IF (fast-5) and eat from 4 to 9 daily. What is everyone's fasting regimen?

Missjessica
03-19-2011, 05:04 PM
mariarose - Welcome! No advice to offer, but will say it's great that you've found an Rx that is working for you and hope IF does also.

Coondocks- Glad you found the thread and glad you're doing so well! Only on day two, so I think the energy that I have is more out of relief of finding something that just might work for me and is waaaay less work and stress than what I've been trying to do :) Hope it continues for both of us!

mkendrick
03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Kaseyy, I have done daily fasts AND eat-stop-eat in conjunction with daily fasting. Like I have mentioned several times, my brain and body don't like eating in the morning, so daily IF is just so naturally easy for me that eating within a small time window a non-issue to follow. When I read about E-S-E, I thought it was an interesting concept. I had reached a plateau and was willing to try it. I always had my 24-hour fasts from Saturday dinner to Sunday dinner. So eating nothing after dinner on Saturday and nothing all day until dinner on Sunday. It was fairly easy to adjust to, really. Once I got used to it, I absolutely got that clear energized feeling that JohnP mentioned. It shook me out of my plateau and my weight loss was linear practically all the way down to goal weight doing E-S-E.

mariarose
03-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Kaseyy and MissJessica thanks for the welcome! I broke my fast at 3 today and probably ate a bit too much, but less than I would have eaten by this time of day usually. Plus I feel really stuffed, and will probably not eat that much for the rest of my window.

Violet73
03-19-2011, 05:59 PM
I've been reading about intermittent fasting for insulin resistance and I'm interested in starting this. When I was at my best weight and maintained, I only ate one meal a day with occasional snacking. I didn't do it on purpose, it's just that I was busy in life and was active and eating too often made me feel heavy. I listened to my body. Something I haven't done in a while. I've been doing low carb for IR and I just feel heavy and lethargic. I believe IF will work for me.

My question is for those of you with IR, what do you eat during your window? Do you just count your calories for this time or do some of you do low carb? I am gluten-free and limit dairy and sugar so I may just stick with protein and salad and maybe some fruit. Is fruit going to be ok though? I just need some help getting started lol

Monique
03-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Jessica, I'm not sure how many pages can be posted in a thread before it's done to be honest :).

Hope you're all well today :). It's 2:40p.m. California time and it's almost time for my eating window to open up! It's cool to look forward to eating and actually know that you're HUNGRY instead of forcing yourself to eat or eating out of boredom :)

Monique

Missjessica
03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Megan - I was looking at Before/After pictures and saw your post. Amazing!! Your success and your story, truly inspiring. This is a plug guys and gals, go check her post out! :)

LeslieLou - I'm PCOS, wheat-free, limited dairy, so similar to you I think. From what I've read so far and my knowing own eating preferences, IF seems like a good choice. I do count calories, but at an amount I'm comfortable with. I stick with the usual healthy stuff: lean mean, fish, lots of veg, a little fruit, a little carbs (usually potatoes, rice, or rye crackers). Now, it's the same food but the difference with IF is instead of always being hungry and thinking my next mini meal all day, I can chill until it's time to eat a meal substantial enough to be pleasantly satisfied. All bodies are different though, so try it out and see how it goes for you.

Violet73
03-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Megan - I was looking at Before/After pictures and saw your post. Amazing!! Your success and your story, truly inspiring. This is a plug guys and gals, go check her post out! :)

LeslieLou - I'm PCOS, wheat-free, limited dairy, so similar to you I think. From what I've read so far and my knowing own eating preferences, IF seems like a good choice. I do count calories, but at an amount I'm comfortable with. I stick with the usual healthy stuff: lean mean, fish, lots of veg, a little fruit, a little carbs (usually potatoes, rice, or rye crackers). Now, it's the same food but the difference with IF is instead of always being hungry and thinking my next mini meal all day, I can chill until it's time to eat a meal substantial enough to be pleasantly satisfied. All bodies are different though, so try it out and see how it goes for you.

Thanks SO much for your reply! I'm the type that likes to feel full when I eat so I think this would work for me. I'm not big on eating breakfast and it seems if I do eat breakfast then I feel like I'm hungry all day If I don't eat breakfast then I'm really not hungry until early afternoon, so I think this would work for me! I'm going to join in and see how things go. I think I would feel more in control this way. :) I love it that I found this thread and there are so many doing this!

indiblue
03-19-2011, 10:36 PM
My question is for those of you with IR, what do you eat during your window? Do you just count your calories for this time or do some of you do low carb? I am gluten-free and limit dairy and sugar so I may just stick with protein and salad and maybe some fruit. Is fruit going to be ok though? I just need some help getting started lol

I have to calorie count. Even though IF curbs my appetite to snack needlessly, I love food terribly and would eat everything in my fridge if I could. While it's nice to have larger dinners, I shouldn't overdo it, and calorie counting keeps me from overeating.

I think most people would tell you to eat how you normally would, just in a smaller time frame. Get in your fruits, veggies, protein, and whole grains. Though it has the word "fast" in the title there's no reason to cut nutrients- just limit the time frame in which you intake them.

mkendrick
03-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes, I still calorie count. While I have zero problem restricting eating to only my window, I could eat junk food for the whole 6-8 hours if I allowed myself. Which would be counterproductive, to say the least. Even if I was trying to "be good," I still think I'd overeat even healthy foods if I wasn't tracking calories. Calorie counting has just become so routine and easy for me that it's no big deal. I count calories and stick to my window. Easy peas.

That said, I do not track carbs, fats, or anything of the sort. I do make sure I have enough fiber and protein, but I usually do just based on the foods that I prefer to eat (lean proteins and veggies). I probably eat too many carbs (complex carbs and whole grains though) than I should, but it hasn't negatively impacted me. Basically, as long as I am eating a satisfactorily balanced diet and getting my protein and fiber, I just consider a calorie a calorie and eat what I want. I have no health issues such as IR or PCOS or anything.

Katydid77
03-19-2011, 10:49 PM
I have to calorie count. Even though IF curbs my appetite to snack needlessly, I love food terribly and would eat everything in my fridge if I could. While it's nice to have larger dinners, I shouldn't overdo it, and calorie counting keeps me from overeating.

I think most people would tell you to eat how you normally would, just in a smaller time frame. Get in your fruits, veggies, protein, and whole grains. Though it has the word "fast" in the title there's no reason to cut nutrients- just limit the time frame in which you intake them.

I agree, the only negative thing about IF is that the word 'fast' has such negative connotations. It makes it sound like it's some extreme program where you are neglecting basic needs, like an off shoot of anorexia or something.

Actually I look at it as setting myself up with a set of guidelines that I can realistically follow in order to achieve results. IF does NOT make me lose weight. Consuming fewer calories than I am using, and doing that consistently is what makes me lose weight.

IF provides me with a way that I can realistically obtain that goal. Truth is, the 5-6 mini meal thing simply makes my eating window so 'big' that it's harder for me to reign those calories in, and be consistent enough to see a true deficit. It's easier to underestimate (or forget) bites, licks, tastes when there is no clear cut rules about 'not eating that now' Throughout the day, I lose track and keep my mind on food too much.

If I were to name it, I would have probably went with something like 'regulated nutrient window' or something along those lines. But I didn't and truth to say the term IF is accurate, it simply follows a more archaic meaning of the term. Back when breakfast, actually meant to 'break your fast'. :smug:

We are on a roll ladies, there is nothing that can stop us now!!

Violet73
03-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I guess I should have worded my questions better :o With doing IF I wonder if one should limit their carbs if you have IR or if just counting calories would work since you are only eating in a certain time frame? I know that you shouldn't binge during this time or eat a lot of junk and eat tons of calories :p I think I will just keep limiting carbs but not as strict as before and see how I do. Eating six times a day is not easy for me. I have more energy when I don't eat as often. I think this will work for me :)

xty
03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and info in this thread, I just read all 9 pages of it over my Sunday am coffee :)

krampus (hi! *waves*) pointed me towards IF in another thread about binges and I am fascinated.

I never considered it before, but I am thinking after reading this that one of my binge triggers is the constant snacking I had been trained to do. Just having to think so much about it!

Ive been inadvertently doing what I guess is IF for the past 3 days without realizing it...by not eating at all between 9pm and noon. May adjust that window some, but Im liking it. My other big binge trigger is just consuming too many carb, so I am playing around with the % of my diet they comprise to see where the sweet spot is.

Thanks again!

Katydid77
03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I guess I should have worded my questions better :o With doing IF I wonder if one should limit their carbs if you have IR or if just counting calories would work since you are only eating in a certain time frame? I know that you shouldn't binge during this time or eat a lot of junk and eat tons of calories :p I think I will just keep limiting carbs but not as strict as before and see how I do. Eating six times a day is not easy for me. I have more energy when I don't eat as often. I think this will work for me :)

Yeah, it will go back to what works for you here. I am in the group that tries to limit my carbs, but ultimately my focus is on overall calorie count than anything. Carbs can work as triggers and you have to watch for that, but at the same time, sometimes you need those nice 'feel good' signals that consuming carbs brings.

Yesterday my SIL wanted to try this Italian restaurant that I had bought a groupon for a couple of months ago. I put off eating and didn't consume a bite until 6:30pm. For dinner we had fresh bread/oil as the app, then I ordered baked penne. It was soooo rich, with real ricotta, that I ate about 8 bites and couldn't eat anymore.

I felt like I totally cheated on my diet, but truth is, I was under calories for the day, and the scale is down this morning to 142.5!!! :carrot:

That is the lowest number I have seen in ages!! It must be on the girls sending me good vibes that is working!! :D

Violet73
03-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it will go back to what works for you here. I am in the group that tries to limit my carbs, but ultimately my focus is on overall calorie count than anything. Carbs can work as triggers and you have to watch for that, but at the same time, sometimes you need those nice 'feel good' signals that consuming carbs brings.

Yesterday my SIL wanted to try this Italian restaurant that I had bought a groupon for a couple of months ago. I put off eating and didn't consume a bite until 6:30pm. For dinner we had fresh bread/oil as the app, then I ordered baked penne. It was soooo rich, with real ricotta, that I ate about 8 bites and couldn't eat anymore.

I felt like I totally cheated on my diet, but truth is, I was under calories for the day, and the scale is down this morning to 142.5!!! :carrot:

That is the lowest number I have seen in ages!! It must be on the girls sending me good vibes that is working!! :D

Awesome!!!!! :carrot: well, I am starting today. I'm going to keep my window from 3:00 to 8:00 and see how that goes. I think this is going to work for me :)

Violet73
03-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and info in this thread, I just read all 9 pages of it over my Sunday am coffee :)

krampus (hi! *waves*) pointed me towards IF in another thread about binges and I am fascinated.

I never considered it before, but I am thinking after reading this that one of my binge triggers is the constant snacking I had been trained to do. Just having to think so much about it!

Ive been inadvertently doing what I guess is IF for the past 3 days without realizing it...by not eating at all between 9pm and noon. May adjust that window some, but Im liking it. My other big binge trigger is just consuming too many carb, so I am playing around with the % of my diet they comprise to see where the sweet spot is.

Thanks again!

Looks like we are starting this together :)

Missjessica
03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Day three and all is well. I'm under calories so far, even with a bring and share after church with amazing food :) I also had time for a proper Sunday afternoon nap - what a luxury those are! Tomorrow is weigh-in day... :crossed: Almost too content to really mind what the scale says this week... Almost ;)

Katydid77 - Yay for the loss! :cp: You'll be in the 130's in no time. And I just discovered Groupon a few weeks ago. LOVE it.

xty - Welcome! Interesting stuff, huh? Sounds like IF is close to what your body wants naturally. Feels good, yeah?

LeslieLou - You're welcome! Hope your first day or so has gone well :)

Kaseyy - I'm reading Fast-5 right now, but am doing a 6-8hr window so far. I did 5 yesterday because it's how my schedule worked out, but if I'm losing on 6-8 hours, I'd gladly settle with that. The E-S-E might be a little too much for me, but maybe if I need to shake things up at some point, I'll give it a try.

mkendrick
03-20-2011, 05:47 PM
A note on the weekly 24hr fast (Eat-Stop-Eat)...

I have mentioned that I did this to break me out of a weight loss plateau and used it for the remainder of my loss phase. When I reached maintenance, in addition to having my schedule change so my fasting was no longer convenient, I no longer felt the need to do the 24-hr fasts. I have maintained for several months without it (still doing daily IF). January and the beginning of February was a hard month for me. Lots of life changes and stress, and that unfortunately led to binges. I gained about 5lbs back. Went from hovering between 124-126 to 129-132. Absolutely not a significant gain-back, I know. But the fact that I have to look at those higher numbers on the scale every morning and remind myself that I screwed up just ticks me off. So I've been on a mission to get back down to my comfort zone, but progress has been sloooooow. Right now I'm bouncing around between 127-129, mostly around 128.5. So I've decided to jump back in a very mini weight-loss mode and do weekly 24hr fasts until I get back down to 124-126. Shouldn't take but a month or so if I stay on plan. BUT, here's the kicker, I think once I get back down to my comfort zone, I'm going to continue with weekly 24-hr fasts and raise my daily calories throughout the rest of the week up by a bit.

I'm on my second weekly fast...I fasted last Sunday also. I had a normal dinner last night at around 7pm, and I will eat my dinner tonight at about the same time. A normal dinner, I already have it planned and logged. A small sliced cucumber, a chicken breast, some roasted bell peppers, and a bit of mashed sweet potato. For a snack/dessert, I'll have a small bowl of air-popped popcorn. The total for the day is 535 cal. Tomorrow I'll have a normal on plan eating day within my window.

I have forgotten how easy and wonderful these 24-hr fasts are. I have energy, I went for a long walk, I'm not thinking "is it time to eat yet!?" As I'm typing this, I'm actually asking myself if I'm at all hungry, and I'm just not. I don't even have tummy grumblies. I have some ice tea waiting for me in the fridge, but I'm not in any hurry to drink it just to consume something. I feel completely wonderfully calm. I'll break the fast by eating my sliced cucumber first at 7pm-ish, wait 20 minutes for my stomach to recognize that it has been filled with something, and then eat the rest of my meal. In the morning, I'll wake up refreshed, as I always do after one of these 24-hr fasts.

Anyways, just thought I'd share since I know some of you are considering the eat-stop-eat thing. It does take some getting used to, it's absolutely NOT for everyone, but it can be a surprisingly positive experience and helpful weight loss tool.

LAKERSKB24
03-20-2011, 11:39 PM
hi guys! I just have a few questions if someone would help me out :)

I'm in maintenance right now(5'0 - 110pds) and have been doing IF(didn't know it had this name though) for a couple of months. My "window" is usually late, 4-9pm because I LOVE to save calories for later at night and I'm not hungry usually during the day.
First of all, I just wanted to ask how many calories people were eating during their window? Is it a full days calorie in those hours?

Also, before I read this thread and saw that other people were doing it, I've always thought of eating this way as being very unhealthy and I've been trying to break the habit and trying to eat more "normally", as in 3 meals spread out. I just really wondered, is IF really a healthy thing and OK for our bodies? I guess I just wanted a little convincing because I was convinced this can't be good for us.
Thing is, I AM happy eating this way and it works great , especially with not binging anymore...I just wanted to make sure it's OK to really continue on this way..

Thanks a lot for reading :)

Katydid77
03-20-2011, 11:49 PM
On the 24 hour fast . . .

One time when my grandfather was in the hospital and expected to die, my aunt made a vow to God, that if he survived she would fast two days a week.

Well, he recovered, and my aunt started doing two 24 hour fasts a week. Well, as an unexpected side effect she started losing weight hand over fist. It shocked her because she had always had to diet like crazy to lose weight.

She is short (about 4 foot 10 inches) and she got down to like 110 lbs without much effort at all, just the fasting and eating 'okay' the rest of the week.

Naturally, she didn't consider it a 'diet' specifically, but she was always amazed that that was the only time in her life when she lost weight easily.

Now that I am familiar with IF and it's various counterparts, I always think of her kinda coming up with the diet on her own without realizing it. :)

JohnP
03-20-2011, 11:54 PM
First of all, I just wanted to ask how many calories people were eating during their window? Is it a full days calorie in those hours?

I just really wondered, is IF really a healthy thing and OK for our bodies? I guess I just wanted a little convincing because I was convinced this can't be good for us.

Yes, you eat your full days calories in your eating window.

There is no research to indicate that eating this way is unhealthy. There is research that indicates it may be more healthy to eat this way. Most of this research has been done in rats but I suspect we'll see more data in the coming years to support intermittent fasting.

It is possible that only eating a single meal a day may not be a great idea but 2-3 meals spread out over 4-8 hours is certainly not going to have any negative impact on your health so long as you're getting get your macro and micronutrient needs met. The timing of when you get these things doesn't matter.

Serbrider
03-20-2011, 11:59 PM
I have a question concerning this... I would love to do this... but mom wouldn't be so keen on it (she's more of the 5-6 meals a day... which doesn't seem to work so well with me... because then I become dependent on eating that... and then overeating).

Would eating from 6-8 in the morning and 6-8 at night and none inbetween produce the same general results?

LAKERSKB24
03-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Thank you JohnP for the reply. I am very very comfortable eating this way, I guess I just feel that it LOOKS unhealthy to eat this way. For example, I could never tell someone that I don't eat until 4pm. They would look at me like I'm crazy. And I've always felt that if it's something I can't tell people happily and openly, then maybe I need to re-evaluate it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply!

Katydid77
03-21-2011, 12:19 AM
I have a question concerning this... I would love to do this... but mom wouldn't be so keen on it (she's more of the 5-6 meals a day... which doesn't seem to work so well with me... because then I become dependent on eating that... and then overeating).

Would eating from 6-8 in the morning and 6-8 at night and none inbetween produce the same general results?

You are still creating a fasted state, so I think you are good to go.

Don't over worry about it, just create a plan and stick with it. For me, at least, the most important aspect of IF is creating times when I don't eat. That keeps me from mindlessly or mistakingly going over calories.

You just work with the rules you can have and go with it. Whatever slight variance that eating twice a day brings into the equation will MORE that be balanced by your youth, and your bodies ability to kick of the fat at this early point in your life.

You are going to rock this!!!!

indiblue
03-21-2011, 12:21 AM
LAKERSKB24 it's regrettable that IF has the word "Fast" in the name. My boyfriend freaked out when I told him I was starting it. It helps to remember that IF does not help you lose weight, it helps the body burn a greater percentage of fat than other stuff in the body. I did a bit of research on the studies JohnP referenced, and none of them indicated there were any negative side effects of IF. All demonstrated within just a few weeks that health indicators had improved... resting heart rate, blood pressure, etc.

For you and Serbrider try to share with those who are concerned that IF does not help you lose weight, that you are utilizing it as a tool to get healthier. Once they start seeing you eat HUGE meals for dinner they may be a bit more comfortable :)

Serbrider I've read the aim of the fast is that the body is supposed to go 14-16 (or more) hours without food. With your two windows you would only go 10 hours at a time. I don't think I've come across information that suggests this achieves the same goals as the longer window. Not eating for 10 hours at a time is what most of us do anyways from when we go to bed and then wake up in the morning and eat breakfast. However, I'm pretty new to IF so perhaps some of the veterans have additional information.

EDIT: Just saw Katy's response that you're ok so perhaps it will work :)

Serbrider
03-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll do ten hour fast... And increase it this summer when I have more control over what I eat and when. :p starting tomorrow morning... Already have breakfast period foods planned.

Katydid77
03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
indiblue~ how is your stomach issues responding to IF? I know coming into this you had experienced 3 days of severe problems.

Has that been effected positively or negatively? Or not changed at all?

Serbrider
03-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Shoot! I just remembered that the only time I'm able to go to the gym Monday through thursday (through Friday this week) is at 7-8 pm.. If I have a huge meal before that... Doesn't that negatively effect me? Maybe I could do 6-10 am I have all but 200 to 300 calories, have a small dinner at 6 to appease my mom... And then go to the gym at 7:30? Just trying to figure this out... I'm busy from 7 am to 6 pm... And am NOT a morning person... So yeah. Thoughts?

indiblue
03-21-2011, 01:13 AM
katy thanks for the inquiry! The back-to-back incidents of waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I was having a heart attack happened several years ago, and it's what led to the diagnosis of AR. Fortunately, I haven't had an episode like that since. The only symptoms I experience regularly now is burning in my chest when I wake up in the morning. Since starting IF it hasn't intensified, thankfully, as long as I drink a lot of water quickly upon waking up.

JohnP
03-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Shoot! I just remembered that the only time I'm able to go to the gym Monday through thursday (through Friday this week) is at 7-8 pm.. If I have a huge meal before that... Doesn't that negatively effect me? Maybe I could do 6-10 am I have all but 200 to 300 calories, have a small dinner at 6 to appease my mom... And then go to the gym at 7:30? Just trying to figure this out... I'm busy from 7 am to 6 pm... And am NOT a morning person... So yeah. Thoughts?

Everyone has a different tollerence for exercise after eating. The general guideline is to wait 30 minutes after a small meal and an hour after a regular sized meal. After a large meal? Depends.

I think your small meal before and large meal after is probably your best bet. Some people find their sleep affected by eating a large meal before bed. I don't but you'll have to discover that for yourself.

Serbrider
03-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Everyone has a different tollerence for exercise after eating. The general guideline is to wait 30 minutes after a small meal and an hour after a regular sized meal. After a large meal? Depends.

I think your small meal before and large meal after is probably your best bet. Some people find their sleep affected by eating a large meal before bed. I don't but you'll have to discover that for yourself.

Ok... Bit confused.. Sorry. So... You're saying a small meal before exercise and a large meal after?

JohnP
03-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Ok... Bit confused.. Sorry. So... You're saying a small meal before exercise and a large meal after?

Yes.

Missjessica
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Just started my window on day 4. I can't really say I've been hungry, which is a nice change. Today is also weigh-in day and... I'm down a pound this week! But, when I moved my scale and weighed again, I was up 4! Turns out I weigh less by the bath tub than by the door :) I'm suspicious of the lumpy linoleum. I'll have to check the nice, stable scale at the gym so for now... no ticker changes. Dang it...

LAKERSKB24 - Just what John said. The same amount for a full day, just in less time. I eat 1200-1400, which has been relatively easy as that equals quite a lot of healthy food to consume in 6 hours time.

Laura G
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Morning all.

Today is my first day IF. I've been lurking and learning, and now I'm jumping into it. As a teeneager I used to only eat one meal a day and I wasn't hungry the rest of the time. I'm planning my window from 3 pm to 8pm, lots of h2o until then. Crossing my fingers that I see some positive results!

Thank you for this thread.

Serbrider
03-21-2011, 11:58 AM
I think that, for the next week or two, I'm going to have a window from 7-9 am, have something small (200-300 calories) at around 6-7 pm, and have a small thing after exercising like a protein shake, Greek yogurt, chocolate milk, etc. Not quite a long fast, and I might switch later to something more like what y'all have, with a 2-8 pm window or something. Starting day 1 today... I'll let y'all know how it goes!

lauralyn
03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
This is day 7 for me and I weighed in at 145 this morning which I have not seen in a few weeks.

Each day it gets a bit easier to make it to 1pm before I eat. I still have tummy growling issues but it is not nearly as bad as the first couple of days.

I am LOVING this!

Monique
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Morning, everyone. Day 8 and feeling great. I got on the scale this morning and I'm still at a three pound loss for this passed week. With my other way of eating, I couldn't lose that in a month and I was sick of it. I'll never go back. IF is much better for me. I don't even have to workout so much anymore either because so long as my diet is right, the pounds are gonna come off anyway.

Monique

Laura G
03-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Argh! I'm STARVING!!!!!!!
You say this gets easier?
Come on 3 pm.......
I'm floating - my bladder is touching my eyeballs with all the h20 i've had to stave off hunger pangs

enough whining.
sigh.

JohnP
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Come on 3 pm.......
I'm floating - my bladder is touching my eyeballs with all the h20 i've had to stave off hunger pangs

enough whining.
sigh.

You don't have to do 3-8 straight away. You could start with 11:00 AM to 8PM and gradually increase your fasting period.

Regardless, it does get easier as your body adjusts to the new feeding pattern.

lauralyn
03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
LauraG~ Don't give up yet, it really does get easier. Today as a matter of fact I was on the phone and looked up at the clock at 1:15 ( my window is 1-7pm) and realized I could eat. I totally would have been making my lunch and ready to eat at exactly 1pm the first few days.

Serbrider
03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm hungry... I have from now (2:30) till 6 pm. Water IS helping though.

reptogirl
03-21-2011, 05:12 PM
i am so glad i randomly clicked on this thread..this sounds like something that totally fits my life, i hate eating in the morning, and i like to be really hungry when i eat..im really excited to start this tomorrow, i always feel like i am failing on my diet because i don't want to eat breakfast, actually i am pretty queasy when i wake up and it takes me quite a few hours before i am willing to eat and if i had my way i would eat one huge meal a day, just because food is the best when you haven't ate all day. im so glad for this thread...it made me feel very happy!!!!

gagalu
03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
okay, it's honestly unbelievable how well IF seems to be working for me right now. my weight loss over the past three months had slowed down considerably, but i've been trying this seriously for around a week and i've already dropped four pounds while still maintaining a minimum of 1200 calories per day. perhaps this was what was needed to speed me up a bit.

thank you so much for this thread!

Laura G
03-21-2011, 05:56 PM
My window opens in 8 minutes, or 480 seconds!
Super proud to have made it.
I only brought 2 sandwiches to work today, so I'll eat (devour/gobble/scarf) them in (ohh, yeah now only 7 minutes) and then I won't eat until I get home around 5:30. I just need to be sure I'm not eating everything in the cupboard while supper is cooking - calories do still count.
Thanks John and lauralyn for your encouragement.
Posting is eating up the time I need to wait...! only 5 min left!

lauralyn
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
:carrot: See, you did it!

Katydid77
03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Way to go! Sometimes it's a matter of crossing that mental hurdle of proving to yourself that you can do it.

Often, we fail to realize that it's quite seldom that any of us experiences true hunger pains, myself included. For years I was so dreading being hungry that I didn't stop to realize that the mild twinges of discomfort that I feel was not true hunger anyway.

Honestly, I would really like to know the psychological reason behind that. Even those of us from very poor backgrounds (myself included in that group btw) have rarely had long spells where we didn't have any food at all. Sure, we might have lived off beans and rice more than we wanted, but we rarely lacked basic nutrients.

What is it that makes us so reluctant to be without food for even relatively small windows of time? I have given it a lot of thought, as you might guess.

I don't have the answers, but, for myself, I am closer to realizing that the answer has little to do with minor twinges we all feel from time to time.

Congrats on being willing to face this, and to teach your body who is boss!

mariarose
03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
I am loving reading everyone's experiences. I've managed a window of 5-6 hours for the past 4 days without tooooo much difficulty yet. However, I haven't been counting calories. I'm hoping that with IF I won't have to. I'm not eating past the point of hunger and generally making healthy choices. Generally I've had a small meal and a larger meal during my window, and maybe a small snack.
I'm not going to weigh myself for a bit, especially because TOM is coming up and I don't want to be misled by that!
How long before you all saw weight loss? My stomach feels smaller, but that might be in my head :P

JohnP
03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
A new study is out that suggests intermittent fasting may help to preserve muscle while dieting. It is a review of current studies and essentially says that while weight loss is similar fasting protocols may produce superior results by causing greater retention of muscle which also means greater loss of fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410865?dopt=Abstract

More research is needed but intermittent fasting so far is all positive news.

Tomorrow I give a speech in my toastmasters group questioning the importance of eating breakfast.

Larry H
03-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Many years ago I did several 10 day water only fasts and then followed it up with a 40 day water only fast. I don't recommend that as I ended up hospitalised with liver failure. I must say I did lose a lot of weight, was never hungry and was very physically active the entire duration of my fasts.

I did this because I had read about the benefits of fasting and gave it a try.

Now I frequently skip meals but I have never thought of it as intermittent fasting before. It was simply skipping meals to me.

Larry,

indiblue
03-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Hot tea with a tsp of sugar does a lot for me when I'm getting hungry. The hunger also seems to come in waves- if you're hungry now chances are it will subside soon.

reptogirl
03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
well so i went ahead and did this yesterday, window was 1-9 which was a little longer than i wanted but i had already ate at 1 before i read this thread!!!! i also started reducing my carbs, so i lost 2.2 pounds this morning...that is all i lost last month total!!!! i will check back in and let you know how the weight is going.

Missjessica
03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
So far, I've noticed: Smaller windows work better for me because my meals seem more quality, I have been drinking way more than usual (good!). I usually struggle to get in 8 glasses of water a day, but now between water (plain, lemon, mint), tea, some coffee - easy easy. For now, I'm going with 5:30p-10:30p as it's easiest. I still haven't felt hungry. In fact, the opposite. I've seen foods I usually crave (scones at mid-morning tea break at work...), they haven't been as tempting as usual. Maybe because I know if I want one in the evening, I could have one? I guess for me, taking away the restriction and rather postponing eating something is helpful. I really am starting to believe hunger is just a feeling, and feelings pass. I've also noticed that if I didn't count calories, I would probably go under my target for the day. That n-e-v-e-r happens with 6-meal days... :)

Maria - I'm in the same boat! I think I'll start looking at the scale next week as TOM is almost here. Isn't is dumb how much seeing the scale affects how you feel about how you've been doing? It's so mental sometimes. I also feel like my stomach is smaller, but am not quite sure it's actually true yet :)

Missjessica
03-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh! and :welcome2: to all the new folks! :)

Laura G
03-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Well, as you all could see in my earlier postings, it was hard but I successfully completed day 1. I stepped on the scale this morning and was down 1.5 - I'm not counting my lbs until next monday's official wi. But it sure was encouraging! Today I brought a sandwich at 320 cal and some trail mix at 440 cal. I'm not planning on eating all the trail mix today, half is for tomorrow, but yesterday I found that some almonds really stopped me from being hungry from 3:30 until supper at 6:00.
Water was so easy - I'm a big h20 fan anyways, but I got away from the pop - I used to drink 2-4 liters a day of diet pop, and yesterday I only had 1/2 liter (2 glasses)
I did some squats yesterday on my non-eating lunch period, they felt good so I'll do them again today.
Thank you all for your support - i'm sure you'll see another posting later whining about how hungry I am, but I'm counting on this being easier as it goes.
Love the thread, love the plan, love you guys for the help!

Laura G
03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but...

Come on 3 pm.......

enough whining.
sigh.

Well, I looked at my post yesterday, and it seems like the hunger pangs aren't quite as bad today, and I got them about an hour later than yesterday. I think I'm gonna be able to do this!

I got in my squats on lunch - I did 5 more today than yesterday.

Where is everyone today? I hope you are all doing well and OP!

lauralyn
03-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I am so glad to hear it is a bit easier today Laura. I was pretty hungry from noon to 1 pm today but I kept myself busy and waited until 1 pm.

It is my TOM right now so any weight see on the scale this week is probably not going to be very accurate so I will wait until next Monday for an official weigh in but I am hoping for some encouraging numbers!

TooManyDimples
03-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone. I haven't updated lately. I've been doing IF for 10 days now and I can definitely say it's now just a part of my life. I'm completely happy eating from 2pm/3pm till 8pm. Hope everyone else has a great experience as well. =)

JohnP
03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Good job Laura!

You can be the poster child for IF because I am telling you after a month you won't even get hungry till 2:00 PM.

MedChick87
03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, it's official. Add me to the list of IF converts! I, like many of you, have never been a big "eat in the morning" person. I just like to do all my eating in the afternoon/evening. Always have. And I've always been taught that that's bad....that it's so horrible for my metabolism to not eat from 8am to 8pm every 2 hours. Well, thanks to this thread I'm done listening to that mentality! I've been doing IF for the past 5 days and I absolutely love it! It's so much easier to stay within my calorie range doing this. I've been eating between 2 and 10pm, just b/c I'm in college and generally stay up late. There have been days where I've had to stop myself from eating before 2, but mostly it's been smooth sailing! Haven't weighed yet, but I just have so much more energy and feel so much lighter. Can't wait to see what the numbers show!

Thanks for all the info you guys have provided. I feel like a new person with a new outlook!

Missjessica
03-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Shortened up a bit today and was able to keep from 5pm-11pm. Can't wait until I'm a few weeks in to see how the scale responds...

MedChick87 - Glad IF is working so well for you! Isn't the energy great?

TooManyDimples - Woo woo!

Lauralyn - Good luck this week :crossed: Hope Monday shows great numbers for you!

Laura G - It does get better, don't worry :)

Laura G
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Well day 3, so far so good. I had a moment there yesterday, but I managed. I am 3 days into eating during my window, but not quite so hot on calories... (definitely less calories, just not where I want to end up - slow and steady, one new habit at a time!):p

lauralyn - thank you for your support pm - how uplifting to know the buddy system works! :hug:

JohnP - thanks for your comment - I never figured i'd be anybody's poster child - unless it was the before picture! I have something else to aim for now! If this works, I'll write a book..... Thanky ou also for all your research in supporting this way of life

reptogirl and maria rose: check in here often - let these fabulous people help you - hoping you are well and OP!

MedChick - isn't it great! I love this way of eating too - food is much more pleasant when it fits your lifestyle

Katydid - :D

Today is MUCH better than yesterday. I can eat in 15 minutes, and I haven't really even thought about it until now. I had some close calls at noon - but I managed to talk myself into NOT cheating - this is the first time I actually exercised mindful behaviours. It was tough, but it'll get easier with practice. My mantra was "Commit to it!" I read on a thread here somewhere that it doesn't take motivation, it takes committment - no matter what. Who cares if you aren't motivated to diet? Be committed and you will anyways. Seems like it works for
me. I may have it engraved on my forehead! Commit to it!
Cheating - this word has a new meaning - it's not about the food any more, it's about the window. So it's not like I can't ever eat this or that again, I just need to budget it into my window of time and window of calories.

I love it! Committed to it!

sarahmac
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi, joining this thread and new to 3FC forum. I've read the ebook and read some of the leangains site. I come from a back ground of somewhat disordered eating and I'm actually really looking forward to gaining a better sense of what real hunger feels like (though apparently most don't struggle with intense hunger during fasting periods) while at the same time nourishing myself during my eating windows. I'm talkin' quality protein, real butter, sour cream, eggs, broth, whole grains/oats, veggies, fruits. . and My eating style is pretty clean...emphasis on quality balanced meals (schwarzbein style) on non fasting days. Not exercising yet, but my days are active with 5 kids at home.
But my biggest focus at this time in my life is to NOT SWEAT THE MINUTIAE. Know what I mean? I'm not going to obsess about macro nutrient ratios, or stress about eating convenience foods when needed or any of the other things I've driven my family nuts over in the past. I want freedom from over thinking food

sarahmac
03-23-2011, 07:32 PM
forgot to subscribe...ok, *subscribed* :D

JohnP
03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
I've read the ebook

Eat Stop Eat? Was it good? I was turned off by the goofy marketing. (Plus leangains is free:D)

Missjessica
03-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Another good day. Well, actually it was a terrible day personally, but IF wise it was excellent. I was under calories by a significant amount, but I just wasn't hungry. Maybe I'll be extra hungry tomorrow. I weighed in today, a pound down! Woo woo!

Laura - Excellent attitude! Commitment really is the idea, isn't it? Motivation is so dependent on how we're feeling, but once you make a commitment it doesn't matter how you feel - you just do it! :)

Sarah - Welcome!

Katydid77
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone! I am just checking in.

Wanted to say, I am not here as much because I am on a vacation in NYC :D

I will say that I came with the idea not to follow any IF patterns at all, but its actually hard NOT to. Today I wanted to try a lox and bagel, and so I did around 1pm, and I haven't been able to eat since. LOL

We are staying in NJ and tomorrow we are headed into the city.

Much shopping to be done!:)

sarahmac
03-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes, EatStopEat had super goofy marketing

my opinion:
leangain website = good for people who have more time to spend searching for information, and especially for those who want to take their fitness to the next level or are very interested in nutrition. Can't wait for Martin's book to come out...should be great. He is a pleasure to read and has a unique attitude toward fitness and life.

EatStopEat Ebook = I don't think the ebook is anything amazing but it is easy to understand, all of the concepts in one place, good to have if there is a worry wart in the family wanting to understand your "crazy fasts". Some people who don't understand the principles may take their fasting too far so it may be good to have the book. People doing IF wrong or with misinformation give it a bad rep. leangains provides this info too...so if you are comfortable with searching blogs, go to leangains instead of the ebook.

Kattt
03-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I've been doing intermittent fasting since May of 2010. Combined with low-carb, it's the only thing that has worked for me and my stubborn body.

I eat between around approx 3pm to 9pm every night, that's my 'time window'. It puts me back in ketosis every morning, almost regardless if I had a higher-carb day the previous day.

SomethingBeautiful
03-24-2011, 03:55 AM
I have read pretty much all these posts, and I have really decided to try this out. I dont HATE breakfast, but I sleep relatively late (10-11am) and when Im NOT on a diet, I dont eat until around 2 or so, but when I am, I eat at like 11:30, then obsess over my next mini meal at 2. I LOVE large meals, and unless I am full, I never feel satisfied. It just totally makes sense. I am gonna try tomorrow 1-9, and gradually decrease from 2-8. I will certainly keep y'all posted :-)

Question: Do you eat the normal amount of cals? I eat 1800 right now according to my weight. Should I stick to that amount?

lauralyn
03-24-2011, 06:57 AM
I woke up this morning still feeling a bit full and all I had for supper last night was one piece of chicken (small) and a big bowl of Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts that I baked in the oven.

I have lots to do this morning so I can tell that waiting until 1 pm today will be a breeze!

I could not wait to step on the scale until Monday so I jumped on it this am and I weigh 145.5 which is down about 1.5 lbs since I started this. I am in the middle of my TOM so I am thrilled to see any loss!

I can't believe I have stuck with this so easily. :D I feel full after I eat now and I am not eating more than before I started, I am actually eating quite a bit less.

Missjessica
03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
lauralyn - Sounds like you're doing great!

SomethingBeautiful - Welcome! Sounds like IF will fit you well. I (and I think everyone else) eat the same number of calories, it's just the time frame you consume them in is smaller. If 1800 is what you would eat to lose, then it's also what you'll eat on IF.

Kattt - Welcome, great to hear how well IF has been working for you! I'm curious, how low carb do you combine it with?

sarahmac - Have you read Fast-5 ebook? Just curious how it compares to E-S-E information-wise. I do like the leangain website, but find the ebook style easier to follow and more relevant to myself.

Katydid77 - Jealous! Have a LOT of fun shopping in the city :)

SomethingBeautiful
03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Starting day 1 today..go figure for once I woke up hungry haha. But I only have until 1, so Its okay :-) Wish me luck today! I'll be reporting later :-)

Coondocks
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
5.6 lost in a week of IF lifestyle . . . . I know some of that was a bit of water weight left from TOM, but does that seem high to anyone else?
Not that I'm not thrilled, don't get me wrong but I should expect to slow down right?

Thanks for any insight . . . . still have to say it feels like the most natural way of eating for me, not at all struggling :) :)

sarahmac
03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Missjessica-

I have not read the ebook for fast-5. From browsing the website it looks like another variation on the theme. I know that Martin from leangains recommends a larger window of time for women to eat because of physiological reasons and diet compliance, but this is probably variable between persons.

I'll have to check out the fast 5 site some more to get a better idea of the differing components. I think people need to find what feels most satisfying to them because then it will work for them over the long haul : fast 5, larger eating windows, 24 hour fasts, your own version? I know that EatStopEat recommends eating around the same time for hormonal cues for hunger...so it seems it's best to just be consistent but not obsessed.

to all - what made IF attractive to you? What style of IF do you feel most satisfied doing? How do you incorporate exercise?

JohnP
03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Looking into Fast Five the other day it seems like it would be a waste of money. Granted it is only $10 but there is nothing in the book from what I can tell that would be useful to know.

JohnP
03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
5.6 lost in a week of IF lifestyle . . . . I know some of that was a bit of water weight left from TOM, but does that seem high to anyone else?
Not that I'm not thrilled, don't get me wrong but I should expect to slow down right?

As someone who has done IF for over a year I assure you that calories matter. I wish there was a lot of magic to IF but if there is any magic it is minor and in health benefits unrelated to weight loss aside from the possibility that it helps retain LBM.

Getting to the point ... yes you should expect weight loss to slow. You were most likely retaining water for whatever reason and your body finally let it go probably because you were more relaxed in your new eating schedule or larger meals brought cortisol levels down or make up something and insert it here. The point is that calories matter.

Persicae
03-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I am on Day 4 of IF.

I feel energetic in the morning, but after I eat lunch (which is normally 400-600 calories since I eat a big dinner and a decent-sized dessert), I feel fatigued.

Is this normal?

SomethingBeautiful
03-24-2011, 05:29 PM
So far the day has been awesome. I Noticed I drink more water now to calm the hunger, which is good, because increasing my water is always an issue. I was in class when my window opened, so I just had a few bites of a fiber one bar, but I really think this is gonna be good. I just ate a burrito bowl from chipotle, and it was healthy, suuuper filling, and I still have 900 cals left until 8 :-)

@Coondocks- CONGRATS on that nice loss!! I hope to have a good loss too!!

Thanks to everyone on this thread, you're all awesome :-)

LAKERSKB24
03-24-2011, 05:47 PM
A little question to all you Ifer's. I do IF off and on(didn't really realize it had a name).

My question is, do people around you - coworkers/family/friends, know the way you eat? and If so, what do they think about it?

I would never tell someone that some days I don't eat a thing until 5/6/7pm. It just SEEMS very unhealthy and just not something I could vocally say outloud to someone if that makes sense? Even though I do like eating that way sometimes and it does help keep me in check.
I'm just wondering if people around you, who don't IF , have a negative view of it, or what they think about you doing it?

Laura G
03-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Just checking in - today is day 4 for me too!

Doing really good - making it to my window now is hardly a problem - thanks everyone for encouraging me to hang in there!
I'm going to go until day 10 with my focus on making my window. Day 11 I will focus on making my calorie goals. I know it doesn't seem very ambitious, but I want to be cautious and not get discouraged or I'll give up - I know myself well enough to know I need to pace myself.

I've been doing a bad thing these last 3 days, and today it bit me in the butt. I'm an obsessive weigher - I check every day....sometimes 4 times a day. I was doing really well, down 1.5, down .5,, maintained, and now today, up 1.5. So I was very discouraged. I almost went off plan, but I recommitted myself. I told myself I wasn't being fair to me or the plan. I need to give this an HONEST try. So today, I am committing myself to weighing only 1x a week - Monday am. It will be difficult - I hate suspense, but it is the only way I am going to stick to this. Weighing everyday is not healthy and not accurate. Ionly need to look in the mirror to see that my body has changed already - my top fat roll doesn't stick out nearly as much as it did! :D Every time I stand up I'm hiking up my pants! And I know that whatever weight I do lose will be flesh, not water because I am drinking more water then ever!

Thank you everyone. I'm so grateful to you all and to this thread. I can't wait to be posting here in a year and being closer to goal than ever. I can't wait until I can change my siggy for a new mini goal!

I apologize to all for being selfish and self-absorbed, but personals are really hard for me. Just know that I read everyone's comments and am thinking about all of you.

I'm wishing everyone the best OP day so far!

Laura G
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
A little question to all you Ifer's. I do IF off and on(didn't really realize it had a name).

My question is, do people around you - coworkers/family/friends, know the way you eat? and If so, what do they think about it?

I would never tell someone that some days I don't eat a thing until 5/6/7pm. It just SEEMS very unhealthy and just not something I could vocally say outloud to someone if that makes sense? Even though I do like eating that way sometimes and it does help keep me in check.
I'm just wondering if people around you, who don't IF , have a negative view of it, or what they think about you doing it?

So far I've told no one, but that is for my own sanity - I don't have a great support system here at home. JohnP has posted some great links to articles that support IF and can be used to defend IF if necessary for you.
All the best.

JohnP
03-24-2011, 06:23 PM
If anyone is concerned about IF affecting your health tell them JohnP says it is perfectly safe unless you're hypoglycemic.

J/K send them this link. (http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html)

If that doesn't settle it nothing will.

njdx1205
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi,everybody

I think I'll be hanging out here for a while. I have been in to fasting fasting for years, all kinds ( juice, water, interim,) my longest fast was 14 days long

On the 30th I will start my own interim. Fast as follows- 5 days fasting, 2 days eating , for the next 2 months (until June 1st) I need to loss 32 lbs. And detox because I've been feeling so sluggish

I have not decided what maintenance I will follow after that fasting 5 or eat stop eat. But, fasting 5 worked for me for years, before I even knew it had a name.

supergir111
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
LAKERSKB24: I haven't told anyone yet and I don't really plan to. I don't want to unneccesaily worry them as many think that my counting calories is borderline eating disorder as it is. I do have a bunch of acquaintances that keep pushing me to eat lunch at 12.15, perfectly normal I guess but I am running out of excuses, even before IF I have always hated eating too early.

njdx1205
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I know what u mean . I usually keep my fast to my self also. Most people think that it is unhealthily, but it is catching on.

JohnP
03-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I have not decided what maintenance I will follow after that fasting 5 or eat stop eat. But, fasting 5 worked for me for years, before I even knew it had a name.

Fasting is not the same as intermittent fasting in the context that we are discussing although technically by definition it would be intermittent fasting.

Fast 5 refers to eating during only five hours of the day. Example - fast until 3:00 PM and eat until 8:00 PM. It does not refer to five days of fasting.

Eat stop Eat is a 24 hour fast. Stop eating at 8:00 PM on Monday and don't eat again until 8:00 PM on Tuesday.

Monique
03-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Hey everyone. I've declared this "vacation week" since I'm going on a cruise this Sunday. So pretty much all week, I've been 70% doing IF. LOL. I've still been maintaining my weight loss since I started which is great. When I get back from my cruise, I'll get right back into IF because I do love it.

Hope you're all well.

Monique

JohnP
03-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I am on Day 4 of IF.

I feel energetic in the morning, but after I eat lunch (which is normally 400-600 calories since I eat a big dinner and a decent-sized dessert), I feel fatigued.

Is this normal?

Assuming your meal has a decent number of carbs than yes - this is referred to as a carb coma. The more insulin sensative you are the less you will be put into a carb coma and the more carbs will energize you and the opposite is true.

You can enjoy the carb coma or reduce carbs. As you get leaner you'll become more insulin sensative.

xty
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Not much to report on my IF journey, but I did want to say a special thank you to JohnP. I am *really* enjoying the leangains site. One of the best resources anyone has referred me to! :)

Missjessica
03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Interesting, I'll have to compare the two. The Fast-5 ebook is free, so that's the one I'm reading first. So far I've found that I like 6-8 hours more, but not starting until later so that I go to sleep before I get hungry again. I exercise most days of the week, usually in the evening for an hour, hour 1/2. It works out perfect to eat a decent sized lunch, mid sized dinner post workout, and snack in the later evening. I need to start tightening up on my food choices though. My calorie numbers are good, but their quality is only so-so... Not awful, just getting a bit high on the carbs for me.

Persicae
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
The "carb coma"?

What is an example meal for lunch that would lower the carbs?

I currently eat for lunch:
-100% wheat bread sandwich with deli-sliced chicken (4 slices) and sharp cheddar cheese w/ spicy brown mustard
-Low-fat flavored yogurt (the 100 calorie ones)
-Navel orange
-Side salad (with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, no dressing)

JohnP
03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
The "carb coma"?

What is an example meal for lunch that would lower the carbs?

I currently eat for lunch:
-100% wheat bread sandwich with deli-sliced chicken (4 slices) and sharp cheddar cheese w/ spicy brown mustard
-Low-fat flavored yogurt (the 100 calorie ones)
-Navel orange
-Side salad (with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, no dressing)

That looks like about 55-65 grams of carbs. Not many by my standards but you'll have to experiment. For one day I would just try a very low carb lunch. Increase the chicken and throw it + cheese in the salad. Add some dressing so you don't gag due to lack of taste. Match calories.

If it is the carbs messing with you I'd suggest going to the low carb section of this site for meal ideas. I have no clue.

Persicae
03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't usually use dressing; I am a fan of using salt and pepper now. :)

Thank you for your help, JohnP!

SomethingBeautiful
03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Day 2 of IF and I am ROLLING by..I LOVE this!! :-) Down 2.5 since yesterday!

jendiet
03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
omg, i am surprised but so glad you guys are still going strong. There have been lots of questions about whether or not this is good for your body. I know John P has talked about the insulin issue. Whether you know it or not this could have been your problem all along.

If you are normal and eat 10 mg of glucose it might take say 1 g of insulin to clear that glucose from your bloodstream, if you are resistant, your body compensates and says send 10 g of insulin to clear that 10 mg of glucose. Once it hits your blood stream you are rapidly hypoglycemic, so the hunger hits you hard!

I noticed when I was a teenager and I would eat breakfast before school. A bowl of cereal, whole wheat toast, and an orange...by 10 o'clock, i was ABSOLUTELY starving. I would get the shakiness, and crankiness, and would buy candy to make it go away. The candy made it go away, but again my body would be flooded with insulin making the problem worse.

There were days, i didn't have a chance to eat breakfast, because I was running late...and I could go all the way to lunch time, without that very uncomfortable feeling.

it wasn't until i was in my 20s and very FRUSTRATED with my weight not budging despite my healthier lifestyle...and I found a book called the carbohydrates addict's diet, that i learned of insulin resistance. Because the insulin load for your next meal is actually programmed by your last meal, it made sense. i tried it, started to lose weight and found I could go 5-6 hours between meals.

Then, because of special circumstances in my life, i thought about fasting and prayer...i found the book by DR. Bragg about apple cider vinegar, and i was intrigued. my mom had a couple of books by Bragg and one of them was about fasting. Although, this was listed in Bragg's ACV book. I had a full load, i had to work alot, and i had alot of stress, but i tried it anyways...and began the 24 hr. fasts...i was amazed how easily i lost weight! i didn't count calories because i ate all healthy food for the most part, and i just kept dropping the weight from a size 10 to a size 6.

the amazing thing, is Bragg never mentioned about ascetic acid, the main ingredient in vinegar and insulin resistance, but since his day many studies have been done about how ascetic acid improves insulin sensitivity.

During my 24 hr fasts, i would make a bottle of water, with 2 tbsp of ACV and 1 tbsp of raw honey, i would sip on it all day...especially when i felt a little weak..and instantly would be energized. the next day i would eat a normal healthy day for me...weight loss was automatic.

back in 2008 when i posted my pics from just a 2 week fast 5 course, people were amazed about how restructured my body looked, BUT there was still a lot of negative comments on that woe.

i am so glad a thread has been created. And all of you are finding something that works for you.

For the christians that are reading this. Jesus said not "IF you fast" but "WHEN you fast" . this might be the thing you need for weight loss to get your breakthrough.

mariarose
03-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm done with my first week, though I had a house guest from out of the country for a few days, so I took him to some touristy restaurants where I wouldn't have eaten otherwise. Though I was pretty successful with an eating window of 2-7ish (some days 1-6, some 3-8), I now need to work on actually eating healthier food.
This should be easier this week. I'm hoping to see that I've lost at least a teeny bit in a week or two.
Let's keep this thread busy!

JohnP
03-26-2011, 11:05 PM
...the amazing thing, is Bragg never mentioned about ascetic acid, the main ingredient in vinegar and insulin resistance, but since his day many studies have been done about how ascetic acid improves insulin sensitivity.

That is interesting although it only appears to increase insulin sensativity in insulin resistant individuals.

For everyone having a drink or two a day also increases insulin sensativity. :D

jendiet
03-26-2011, 11:54 PM
lol, John are you suggesting a glass a day? the studies show that insulin resistant subjects have the most benefit, but there does seem to be some benefit for others...and still some help for diabetics as well.

JohnP
03-27-2011, 12:30 AM
lol, John are you suggesting a glass a day? the studies show that insulin resistant subjects have the most benefit, but there does seem to be some benefit for others...and still some help for diabetics as well.

No it was more of just a joke. I don't drink very often. I'd rather use my calories elsewhere.

I'd simply reccomend insulin resistant folks go low carb.

Missjessica
03-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Shhh, John. I was going to tell my flatmate that's the reason for the wine tonight. "I'm not drinking, I'm increasing my insulin resistance!" ;)

Mariarose - Glad you're doing well! I'm in the same spot, I have the window down, now it's just what I put into the window... :) Hope the scale tells you good things.

Katydid77
03-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, I am back from NYC and finally able to crawl back on the IF wagon fully!

Whew! What a relief. After not normally having to worry about eating that often, it's annoying when people are asking "what about breakfast?, What about lunch? What about dinner?" UGH! It made me feel like we were spending all of our time planning our next meal!

Today is not going to be particularly clean eating, but it won't be bad. Have dinner with family and just doing hot tea and such till then.

Still have to decide whether I am actually going to accomplish anything, or take this first day back to recover.

I will say this, I ate a LOT more sugar on this trip than I am used to, and I have that uncomfortable feeling where my heart feels like it's beating so hard that it hurts.

Does that happen to anyone else? Maybe it's racing or something, but it seems like when I overdo it on sugar (or salt maybe?), that my heart will just beat so hard that it makes me chest hurt. I also get those kind of annoying shakes and feel jittery.

Think I might try my first 24 hour fast tomorrow and just kinda let my body recover. I've been wanting to try one anyway.

reptogirl
03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
so from 3/21-3/26 321.6 to 317.2 5.4 pounds
and some of those days were bad days eating out etc bc i had a friend from thursday night til today

i love this, last month i only lost 2.2 total...i have started IF and i have been keeping my carbs under 100

anyways i wanted to share my first 5 days with everyone :)

sarahmac
03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
On the racing/pounding heart-

I get that too, but I haven't been able to pinpoint what it is that causes the racing/pounding heart. For me, it can be paired with anxiety. I have had that feeling when I was in labor when I was exhausted and a little dehydrated also, it's kind of scary to feel your heart beating that hard! I also notice that it gets worse when I eat too many processed/restaurant foods. Inflammation maybe?

jendiet
03-27-2011, 02:25 PM
lol, missjessica...i agree with you there. i like that excuse better.

indiblue
03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Katy welcome back! Hope it was a wonderful trip. Re. sugar, I eat too much sugar so I don't really have the heart-racing effects... but I don't think that's a good sign :-/ Let us know how the 24 hour fast goes!

mkendrick
03-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm not caught up on this thread, but...

I used to eat so much sugar (and salt, for that matter), that I never knew what it felt like to be without it. I didn't understand what people were referring to when they talked about "sugar rush" or "bloat" after eating something salty. For me, I was on a permanant sugar buzz and salt bloat, I didn't know it though.

Since I've cut waaaaay way back on white sugar since November 2009, my body has absolutely gotten used to going without it. I've had a few planned indulgences and a few oopsy indulgences where I consumed a significant amount of sugar all at once. I feel the effects practically immediately, it seems like.

Now when I eat a candy bar or something, it just feels like my body is on speed. Like blood is zooming through my veins and my heart is pumping too fast. I just feel a tingly buzz...it's odd. Needless to say, I finally understand "sugar rush."

jendiet
03-27-2011, 07:11 PM
heh. coffee does that to me, since i've had to watch my sugar for GD, i know when my sugar is out of it's limits, it makes me feel like that and also nauseated.

JohnP
03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Now when I eat a candy bar or something, it just feels like my body is on speed. Like blood is zooming through my veins and my heart is pumping too fast. I just feel a tingly buzz...it's odd. Needless to say, I finally understand "sugar rush."

This means you're very insulin sensative and I now officially hate you. :D

StellaMichelle
03-28-2011, 12:41 AM
I started IF on Tuesday, after stumbling upon this thread. I haven't gotten a chance to read all 15 pages yet, but I read some other sites as well, including Fast-5 and leangains. IF, where have you been all my life?! I feel amazing this week!

I'm doing a 4-5 hour window - right away the first day, I was fine waiting until 2 for food. Just lots of water. I know that wouldn't work for everyone, but I think this is WOE exactly what my body needs.

I had been attempting 1200 calories in 6 mini meals, and it turned into 1800 calories most days because I was so hungry/couldn't stop eating. Plus then, we'd have "fun" days once a week where we wouldn't count calories and we'd eat doughnuts and I'm sure I was consuming around 3500. No wonder I wasn't losing weight!

This week, it was easy to stick to my 1200 calories, and keep them clean because I wasn't obsessing about food all day, or thinking, "well, I'll just eat a healthier dinner if I make this bad choice for lunch". We decided to have a mini "fun" day yesterday, where we made pizza and blueberry muffins at home, and I think the carbs/sugar from that meal almost knocked me out - I actually had to lay down. Back to my new normal today, and I feel so much better!

Sorry for the long post. I'm just SO excited to have discovered this!

JohnP
03-28-2011, 01:08 AM
I had been attempting 1200 calories in 6 mini meals, and it turned into 1800 calories most days because I was so hungry/couldn't stop eating. Plus then, we'd have "fun" days once a week where we wouldn't count calories and we'd eat doughnuts and I'm sure I was consuming around 3500. No wonder I wasn't losing weight!

This week, it was easy to stick to my 1200 calories, and keep them clean because I wasn't obsessing about food all day, or thinking, "well, I'll just eat a healthier dinner if I make this bad choice for lunch".

Perfectly describes why IF is going to be big, real big in the future.

indiblue
03-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Glad to see everyone else is enjoying this method as much as I am :)

I've been having a bit of trouble getting in good workouts during my fasting windows. I'm not sure if it's an actual physical problem of working out after 14 hours of fasting, or a mental one, but I'm getting tired more easily and cutting workouts short. Besides the obvious answer of "well duh, move your workouts to your feeding window" which I could do but would prefer not to if I can get good workouts in during my fasting window, does anyone have any recommendations? Is this all in my head?

Katydid77
03-28-2011, 01:41 AM
I've been having a bit of trouble getting in good workouts during my fasting windows. I'm not sure if it's an actual physical problem of working out after 14 hours of fasting, or a mental one, but I'm getting tired more easily and cutting workouts short. Besides the obvious answer of "well duh, move your workouts to your feeding window" which I could do but would prefer not to if I can get good workouts in during my fasting window, does anyone have any recommendations? Is this all in my head?

What type of workouts are you talking about?

For me, I do better with exercising while in a fasted state b/c I tend to get queasy easily if I've eaten, or eat directly thereafter.

It does sound more mental in nature to me though. My Grandmother would say, 'your get up and go, got up and went'. :D Do you feel like you are detoxing at all? Getting carb lows? Sugar lows?

I do have a tendency to have some caffeine before I workout, so I suppose that is something of a stimulant. Are there any type of mild stimulants like this that you might consider trying? Have you tried an EC stack? (they are too strong for me, but some live by them)

Anyway, don't overdo, but it might help to get you over the hump and let your body acclimate to the change up.

JohnP
03-28-2011, 02:03 AM
It definately depends on the kind of workouto you're doing. To maintain intensity the body needs carbs. So if you're doing some kind of circuit training with weights or HIIT than what you're feeling is real. If you're doing low to moderate intensity cardio or weight lifting with rest periods than it's just a matter of adjusting.

I do train fasted with weights and moderate cardio and have no problems but I've been IFing for over a year and I also take an EC stack before weights. Nothing for cardio but I do have coffee when I wake up.

indiblue
03-28-2011, 02:19 AM
A typical workout for me is 20-45 minutes of cardio and somewhere between 5-20 minutes weights and/or abs. Almost always moderate, rarely high intensity. Definitely don't have a problem with carbs and sugar- I generally have 30-60 g of sugar and around 150-200 g carbs a day. It sounds like coffee + time to adjust + a bit of katydid's grandmother's motivational speech will do the trick :D

sarahmac
03-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Just checking in today. My eating window is between 9am and 4pm right now. I like this time frame because I'm making food for my children at this time anyway and nights are typically my binge/emotional eating time. I was having a stressful conversation with my husband about relatives last night, and I was so aware how much I wanted to eat to make myself feel better...not because I was hungry. It is nice to just not have to think about eating or food in the evenings, since I will generally not be able to stop myself or make good decisions about my food. I'm able to associate food as fuel better during the mornings also. The other thing I love is the anticipation of breaking my fast. Eating is so much more enjoyable and special. Maybe someday I will switch my eating window...probably when my kids are older. Right now this is workin for me.

I use the livestrong food tracker to get a good idea of my calorie consumption. Do you guys use any trackers? I don't count before or while I'm eating, usually near the end of my day to get an idea of my food patterns and choices. Do you guys count or just wing it?

Missjessica
03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I use My Fitness Pal on my phone. I track after I eat and after I workout. I mostly just look at the calories and types of food (it's easier to catch when I start slacking), but sometimes I look at the macro breakdown. I'm trying to cut carbs down a little to see if that will speed things up, and it's nice to be able to just glance at the numbers.

I hit a total of 5lb loss today!! Slow and steady, I guess....

Katydid77
03-28-2011, 06:19 PM
I just keep track as I go. Usually just a running total in my mind, though I sometimes write it down if I am eating several things. With a shortened eating window, I'm really only consuming two small meals and one snack. Then I have an automatic 100 calories per day in hot tea.

Right now, in order to lose weight, I keep my calories between 800 and 1000, so you aren't really talking about that much to keep track of anyway.

I just track calories, not the actual nutrient ratios and stuff. I eat lower fat naturally because heavier foods make me sick to my stomach. Main thing I have to watch is carbs. It's easy for me to overdo them and not get in enough protein because of that.

So, while I'm nowhere near perfect with it, those are the things I try to keep track of throughout the day.

xty
03-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I use LoseIt on my iphone and it keeps track of weight, exercise and food (with nutrient breakdown). The food db is decent and you can add your own. Was free!

indiblue
03-29-2011, 02:50 AM
I use My Fitness Pal but I don't like it for a few reason. First, it tells me I should never go below 1200 because doing so puts me in starvation mode (which is absurd because on sedentary days at my height/weight 1000-1100 is necessary to lose), which just annoys me.

Second, I don't really think a lot of the calorie or weight counts are accurate. They are all member-submitted, and even on the ones that have several "confirmations" I've noticed some really incorrect counts on some things. The calculations it gives for the exercises you burn do not factor in height or weight and I mainly just ignore it.

Third, it doesn't count strength training towards your weekly "minutes" of exercise or more importantly towards calories burned. This has on a few occasions led me to skip strength training in exchange for cardio, which is dumb on my part. Of course it is my responsibility to ensure proper health, not my calorie counter, I do wish it gave more proper health support/information by putting more weight on strength training (no pun intended :D).

Lastly, I do not like that it keeps macronutrients like protein in the green or "good to go" zone if you don't meet them that day, and red or "warning" zone if you do or go over. Sends the wrong message that eating more protein and fewer grams of fat/carbs one day is a bad thing. Again, my responsibility not my counter's to ensure I'm eating right, but I want my counter to at help in that process, not send the wrong message.

lauralyn
03-29-2011, 06:33 AM
This seems to be working for me, I got on the scale this morning and saw 142! I am sure I will bounce up and down again but to see those numbers felt SO awesome!! I am one of those people who thinks about food the second I wake up so I can't believe how easy it is to eat this way.

I did have one day this week where I snuck in half a banana around 11 am because I felt a bit off, I can't explain what I was feeling but I felt better as soon as I ate it.

So, so far so good!

thenewkim
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
hi im new around here and came across your post kinda by accident and have decided to start the fast-5 plan. everything about this way of eating just clicks for me. i hate breakfast!i always have but was always told i HAD to eat it. when i was in high school and at my lowest weight this is exactly how i ate just because i was never hungry til later in the day. we since trying to loose weight everything tells you to eat more smaller meals well i felt like all i thought about was food and after i ate i never felt satisfied or full!i have been binging on weekends because i was desperately wanting that FULL feeling again!i really think this will work for me and feels so natural im still not hungry yet and it almost 12. my only questions is working out im so confused about the cardio vs weight lifting thing!i really enjoy weights but dont feel like its enough since im not sweating like i am when i do cardio. so what and when should i do??i dont really know where to ask this but hoping yall can help?

indiblue
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Another interesting thing I've noticed on IF: on days when I exercise I don't get nearly as hungry and end up eating back my burned calories. I don't trust calculators telling me how much I've burned, so I don't like eating back burned calories unless I'm starving. On IF I've noticed I can still stay at around 1200 a day even with moderate or intensive exercise. Today I had a higher-intensity workout (25 min hard run and 20 min hard elliptical) and felt no more hungry than I do usually. I don't know if this is directly related to IF but it has happened consistently since I've been doing IF so I'm likely to believe there is some correlation, and a good one at that :)

thenewkim Welcome to 3FC! If you don't feel like you're getting enough workout from weights then lift heavier weights and really check on your form. The body tries inherently to find the 'easy' way to do an exercise, so make sure you aren't hyperextending your back during deadlifts, etc. You should be exhausted after a good strength training session. Check out the exercise forum for more info- it will be much more helpful for providing links to lifting techniques and guidelines as well as FAQs than the IF thread :D best of luck and welcome again!

crainjo
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Started IF yesterday. My last meal was around 7 pm Sunday night. I made it all the way until Monday at 3:30 pm. My plan was to have my window from 2 pm to 8 pm, but got side tracked around 2:00 pm. I kept my calories to 800 yesterday, and ran week 4 day 2 of my C25k program. Lost 1.5 pounds since yesterday morning. Making it fine today, but looking forward to protein/fiber bar at 2pm.

sarahmac
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I typed out a big post and lost it somehow!

On weight training vs. cardio...

Before I ever knew about HIIT or PACE I experienced the benefits of weight training and sprints while training with the boys high school football coach. He had trained this way forever and I just happened to get placed in his PE class. I did low reps maximum effort on basically 4 types of lifts. I gained dramatic strength within 3 months of lifting 3 times a week and for very short periods of time. Then I did sprints for softball practice and was generally an active person. My own experience with training this way for years gives confidence in weight training being a big piece of the fat loss puzzle, or at least maintaining a lean physique. When I used to play basketball and run non stop I never had as easy a time maintaining a lean body, even if I ate junk all the time, than when I was lifting weights and doing exercise I enjoy...which is NOT a lot of steady state cardio. If you LOVE running, do it! But if you hate steady state cardio and think you HAVE to do it to lose weight...ditch it!

I can't post links but go to stumptuous dot com for weight training info for women

and google : Dr. Sears PACE twins interview youtube. it will show you a good video on two twins who did different types of exercise and the different results that they got.

Many people advocate doing body weight exercises over lifting weights....both can be very effective!

Missjessica
03-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I've been reading Leangains for a good part of the afternoon (day off work, woo woo!), there is so much information! Good, good stuff here. I definitely fit into the set up for folks with 9-5 jobs and evening workouts. The articles on IF and endurance training are also really interesting. I'm just starting to train up for a race and was curious how IF would affect my longer runs. Looks like if anything, it could potentially help them.

Looks like people are doing well! Keep up the good work :)

Katydid77
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I did a 24 hour fast yesterday. I quit eating at 8pm one evening and then didn't eat again until 8pm the next evening.

Actually it was much easier than I anticipated. I think I had it built up in my mind to being a 'real' fast when it was really just postponing my eating window for a few hours. Nothing really major at all.

One thing I haven't done is gone a full 'day' without eating. That is fasting in a more Biblical sense, and something that I want to try. It wouldn't be hard, except for the small mental hurdle of thinking 'I will consume no food today'.

I will say that even after my crazy week in NYC AND being smack in the middle of that *certain* time of the month, the scale was only up a 1/2 pound this morning when I weighed in again!! :carrot:

That really shocked me and helped get my day off right!

Hoping to use that as momentum to see some positive movement soon. I wanna see the 130's soooooo bad. :D

bellona
03-30-2011, 10:09 PM
I lost most of my weight doing something similar to this. I didn't know it had a name, though!

I'd eat two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter or spray butter for breakfast.

Lunch was usually a balance bar. Sometimes it would be turkey breast or a small salad or sandwich.

Did an intense interval training workout for 45-60 minutes when I got home from work at 5 or 6.

I ate a "normal" supper, usually between 5 and 8. I lived with my parents at the time, so whatever we made, I ate until I was full. It was usually healthy 5/6 days a week (chicken, veggies, rice, whole wheat pasta, fish, etc.) but I didn't limit myself and ate as much as i needed. Which actually didn't take too much because I was eating so little throughout the day, so I'd feel full really quickly.

I know it wasn't technically IF since I did still eat breakfast, but my total calories before 6 pm were usually less than 300.

I am trying to find something else that works for me, after falling off of the band wagon and gaining a few pounds back over the winter/holidays. I have continued my workouts, but added a lot of snacks and other food I wasn't eating before. I am trying the whole snacking/calorie counting method, but I always end up starving at night and in the morning and quite irritable and sluggish. It might be time to go to a IF method again. I found that I would look forward to being "full" during my evening meal, and it made resisting unhealthy snacks a lot easier.

JohnP
03-30-2011, 10:23 PM
I know it wasn't technically IF since I did still eat breakfast, but my total calories before 6 pm were usually less than 300.

I am trying to find something else that works for me, after falling off of the band wagon and gaining a few pounds back over the winter/holidays. I have continued my workouts, but added a lot of snacks and other food I wasn't eating before. I am trying the whole snacking/calorie counting method, but I always end up starving at night and in the morning and quite irritable and sluggish. It might be time to go to a IF method again. I found that I would look forward to being "full" during my evening meal, and it made resisting unhealthy snacks a lot easier.

There is no technical aspect to it. What you were doing was not fasting. No big deal but if there are health benefits to intermittent fasting you would not reap them.

I'd say give it a try. You might find that you are grouchy and irritable without food in the morning. Some people are like that.

indiblue
03-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Can I be that annoying person who reposts a question I asked earlier? Maybe no one else shares this experience, so if I don't get any responses again I'll stop bugging you all. Since I've been on an IF schedule I've found I am no more hungry on exercise days than non-exercise days. Regardless of the physical exertion, I am still satisfied with my usual caloric intake. Is this all mental or does this have some sort of explanation rooted in the chemistry behind IF?

JohnP
03-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Since I've been on an IF schedule I've found I am no more hungry on exercise days than non-exercise days. Regardless of the physical exertion, I am still satisfied with my usual caloric intake. Is this all mental or does this have some sort of explanation rooted in the chemistry behind IF?

I've not read about this specifically related to exercise but I have read many accounts of people who before IF would struggle on their low calorie diets and when they IF they struggle to get the same number of calories ingested.

thenewkim
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
this is my thrid day, i was stuck fluctuating between 174 and 175 for 2 weeks, today the scale said 170.6!!hoping it stays going downward!yesterday i didnt eat until 2:30 (my goal was to make it til 1:30) and i ate a pretty heavy lunch about 450 cals. i was so full still at dinner all i could eat was a salad with chicken and forced myself to eat a protein bar to get as close to my daily cals as i could. i think im gonna try to not eat as much at lunch tho and balance my meals more although it is so nice to get that FULL feeling.

in regards to PACE and HITT i would love to start doing some but is it ok to do during ur fasting time?

JohnP
03-31-2011, 01:57 PM
...forced myself to eat a protein bar to get as close to my daily cals as i could.

Unless you're on an extremely low calorie diet there is never a reason to force yourself to eat. Example - you're shooting for 800 calories a day - probably a good idea to force yourself to eat. On the other hand if you're shooting for 1500 and only at 1200 there is no reason to force down food.

The idea that your body is going to go into starvation mode is nonsense.

thenewkim
03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
see thats where i guess my brain is still stuck in the eat eat mode. my goal is 1300-1400 i was doing 1200 but i think it was too low(well told its too low) so i have been adding a little more. but then i get confused because im full at 1100-1200 but everyone says u need to eat more than 1200 because when i plateau i will have to eat less!lol im confused

Katydid77
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Can I be that annoying person who reposts a question I asked earlier? Maybe no one else shares this experience, so if I don't get any responses again I'll stop bugging you all. Since I've been on an IF schedule I've found I am no more hungry on exercise days than non-exercise days. Regardless of the physical exertion, I am still satisfied with my usual caloric intake. Is this all mental or does this have some sort of explanation rooted in the chemistry behind IF?

Honestly, IF is the only time when I do feel more hunger when I'm working out.

I think it's because I'm actually able to stay true to my calorie counts and not over indulge here and there. Right now, I am very low cal (between 800 and 1000 calories per day) and I have a very active job in the first place, so when I add exercise to the mix, it does make a big difference in my appetite levels.

I will say that when I am on IF and just taking in a normal calorie range (say 1200 and above) then it really doesn't affect my appetite either.

Missjessica
03-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Indiblue - I don't have the answer, but have been experiencing the same thing. I'm usually struggling to stay near my calorie level, especially when I workout, but now on IF, I have to work to get in the same allotment. I work out in the evenings, so I get to eat before and after my workout. Whatever the reason, it's a great benefit :)

JohnP
03-31-2011, 08:55 PM
see thats where i guess my brain is still stuck in the eat eat mode. my goal is 1300-1400 i was doing 1200 but i think it was too low(well told its too low) so i have been adding a little more. but then i get confused because im full at 1100-1200 but everyone says u need to eat more than 1200 because when i plateau i will have to eat less!lol im confused

The 1200 calorie thing seems to be a mantra of sorts around here. What is important is that your body is getting all of it's nutritional needs met which can be done on far less than 1200 calories. What is also important is having a plan you can stick with which for most people means 1200 calories or above. [EDIT] I'm not suggesting calories to anyone I'm merely saying if you're not hungry there is no need to force yourself to eat.

You will eventually plateau but it will probably take longer while IF. When you do it is not time to lower calories ... it is time to take a diet break. Slowly ratchet your calories up over the course of a week to maintinence calories and eat at maintience for a couple weeks. Then resume dieting.

Great article here.http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

indiblue
04-01-2011, 12:24 AM
The 1200 calorie thing seems to be a mantra of sorts around here.

It's also a mantra throughout the dieting world... it shows up as an error message on my calorie counter (My Fitness Pal) whenever I consume fewer than 1200 calories. It literally says I will go into starvation mode. Absurd that there is a generic cut-off for ALL people regardless of height, weight, and activity level. Unlike katydid I'm very sedentary right now (not walking to work, in front of a computer for work) except for my 30 mins-1 hr workout and my BMR is 1350 or something like that. On some days 1200 is pretty much maintenance for me right now.

--

Thanks all who indulged me on my exercise- appetite question! Not sure why it is the way it is for me, but like a previous poster said, I'll take it! katydid it makes sense if you are at 800-1000 with an active job all day you'd get hungry on exercise days. Did you say a while back you manage a Panera? I don't remember why but that sticks out in my mind for some reason. If so I could understand how that would be exhausting.... I worked part-time at Starbucks when I was just out of college as an intern and it was exhausting. Anyone who has ever worked 8-10 hours a day in front of a computer should try doing what you do- it's incredible.

TooManyDimples
04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't checked in with you guys lately. I just wanted to tell you all that I finally got on the scale again today. March 1st I weighed in at 250. Today I'm down 14.4 to 235.6! I started IF on March 13th. I don't know if it had any effect on my weightloss amount but I can say that this is the best weight loss month I've ever had. =) Still loving IF!

Missjessica
04-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Great job Kim!

mkendrick
04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I hate the 1200 calorie rule, quite frankly. I DO like that the trend in the "dieting community" is to adequately feed and nourish the body. I'd much rather have people obsessed/paranoid with not going lower than 1200 than obsessed/paranoid with eating as little as possible. But this magical number of 1200 calories is silly, in my opinion.

An animal's body and eating instincts (all animals, humans included) are designed to eat to meet energy needs, but not necessarily specific nutrient needs. The genetic control that would be required for the animal's brain to instinctually crave specific macro/micronutrients would be too much genetic baggage to evolve and pass on. (The exception to this seems to be salt, but the instinctual desire to consume salt is separate from the instinctual desire to eat). This bit of animal behavior has an economic importance, in fact. When you're trying to feed cattle (or any producing livestock) the perfect amount of food that exactly meets but does not exceed their protein and energy requirements for the maximum daily gain, you canNOT feed too much energy because they will stop eating once they've satisfied their energy needs and won't meet their protein needs. Energy feed (grains) are cheap, protein feeds are not. The cow's brain is not designed to think "well I've eaten to satisfy my energy needs, I'm full, but I need to keep eating to satisfy my protein needs." It is up to the animal nutritionists to blend the perfect feed with no more or no less protein than the cow needs and an excess of energy.

Anyways, I say all that to illustrate a point...(I'm an animal scientist with a nutrition focus...I get overly excited about feeding cows, lol)...even though those of us with weight issues sometimes have a hard time identifying true hunger, our brains still work largely like the cows on this front. Once we have met our energy needs, our bodies stop being hungry. Again, our minds might still be hungry, we might have evening munchies or the desire to eat socially or emotionally or whatever else, but our bodies will no longer send true hunger signals.

That said, if I meet my energy needs at 800 calories by eating nothing but carbs, my body will no longer feel true hunger. That number may be lower or higher than that for each individual. That doesn't mean that I've even come close to meeting my nutritional needs for the day.

So for those of you that are finding you feel full at 800 calories (or whatever number you're at), you have probably met your energy needs to survive for the day. And I can assure you, your body will not go into starvation mode. Whether or not you got a balanced diet and met your macro/micronutrient needs depends on what you ate for that day.