Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Have you lost your taste for any foods?

As in junk or foods that no longer fit in your plan? I seem to see people all over the boards saying that they are literally grossed out by foods that they used to eat. Like the thought of eating fast food or candy or excessively processed food or whatever is nasty after they started dieting.

I'm jealous, because I certainly haven't lost my taste for hardly anything. Yes, I feel ashamed and disgusted at my own gluttony over the foods that I used to eat (or have eaten during a binge). But quite frankly, that food still sounds delicious to me. I have a hard time reading threads about people's binges or the junk that they used to eat, because it all sounds so yummy to me. I'll see a thread about somebody being upset that they ate a whole pizza, and I completely sympathize with them for how they're feeling, but at the same time, I think "mmm...I want pizza." I've completely lost desire to eat some things because I know how many calories are in them. Like I was fairly neutral towards saltine crackers, but once I realized how many calories are in each cracker, I can't imagine ever it being worth it to eat one again. But calories aside, I still want fast food, I still want sweets, I still want junky processed delicious-but-not-nutritious pseudo-food.

The one and only thing I've found that is just gross to me now is full fat milk. I was making fried chicken for hubs (sigh...I want fried chicken) and used whole milk to dredge it. Just out of curiosity, I took a sip of it and nearly gagged. I don't think I've ever had to spit out food, but I tasted nothing but fatty grossness that coated my entire mouth...blech! I used to drink it all the time. No reason, really, that's just what I was raised on.

I wish I could have that same repulsed feeling towards, well...practically all other junk, lol. So have you lost your taste for anything? As in COMPLETELY grossed out by it, not just shocked by the amount of calories? For those of you who say you're grossed out by fast food (or whatever), in an imaginary world where calories and weight gain didn't exist, would you want that food just because it's tasty? Or is the taste/thought of eating it so vile that you'll avoid it forever?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Nope. Everything is still just as appealing and tastes just as good as it always did. I do think some healthier alternatives are yummier than the fattier versions. Like tonight, I made myself a small, thin crust whole wheat pizza with 1 oz of fresh mozzarella, 1/2 oz of goat cheese, sauce, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and it tasted like heaven. Still, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Jet's BBQ chicken thick-crusted pizza.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: varied over 130/122/110

Height: 5'2

uh hum, I WISH. i am in the same boat as you! the only reason why i completely dismiss fast food and such is because i know the cal counts are not worth it! but i cannot deny that a Mcdouble cheeseburger is delish! and it's not that i don't like healthy foods. because i find a huge Caesar salad just as appetizing. so i don't know, i think some people pull jedi mind tricks on themselves :P
inteventionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #4  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Exactly! I should have mentioned that I *LOOOOOOVE* my healthy food as well! And I've discovered new foods, recipes, etc that I love. I've developed a passion for cooking and fresh quality ingredients and wholesome healthy food and beautifully plated meals. I legitimately crave a big carrot for dessert, and I kid you not. I love my "on plan" foods, but...

...I also love a greasy fast food cheeseburger. And grocery store bakery cookies. And Kraft mac n' cheese. And all that other junk from before.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

I love all the same foods I always have...and then some. Not turned off by anything. The only thing I don't actually crave is pop though I still think it tastes great. I basically stopped drinking it when I changed my lifestyle and have had it maybe only 5 times since save for when I use it in a cake recipe. Mostly because I love Dr. Pepper and most restaurants don't carry Diet Dr. Pepper. So I would have had to drink those calories. I am a person that much prefers to eat her calories than drink them.
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

OH yes it is still so desirable to me. I love my plan and what I eat now, but I could easily eat all the old stuff too. Sigh. It'd be nice if I just magically didn't like it anymore though!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Well, hmmm, yes and no. I can't think of anything at the moment that I am simply disgusted by the thought of. And, yeah, sometimes I really desire those foods, but (like you) knowing the calorie count puts a stop that quick. (Side note: Some days I wish SO BAD that I could forget the calorie count of a big bakery chocolate/PB cookie that I love. ). But, more often, I find that I desire those foods, work them into my plan (or occasionally eat them off plan) and then realize the idea of those foods was better than the reality.

An example - in January, I started fantasizing about a hamburger and fries from 5 Guys. I don't know why, but once I got it into my head, I couldn't let it go. That became fantasizing about a hamburger, fries, and chocolate cake with ice cream (I do a lot of chocolate already, but can't keep cake/cupcakes in the house). I set a day, planned it out -my very high calorie day for the month, but still on plan - and ate the food.

It was . . . tasty. Good. Delicious, even. But for whatever reason, it wasn't really satisfying to me in the way I wanted to be satisfied, and I ended that 1100 calorie meal feeling disappointed and let down.

Honestly, that craving was probably more emotional than anything physical, and I'm an emotional overeater who is constantly trying to remember that true, physical hunger is the only problem food can actually solve for me.

That's all me, of course, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even if my tastes and desires haven't really changed, my reactions to them has.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Sort of, yeah. My sugar addiction is definitely broken. It's not that I'm grossed out by sugary foods - they simply don't hold any appeal for me. And it's not willpower talking because I've been there before and this is different. I'm finding that if I don't eat anything evocative of or simulating those "bad" or "forbidden" foods I just don't think about them too much and have no problem turning them down when they're presented.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I'm not a fan of fried food anymore. Had my first deep fried chicken strips in nearly 3 years this past weekend...just gross. Coated my mouth in grease and made me feel bad.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #10  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Nope, lol. I still want all the "bad" stuff I always did. It's only the calories and/or lack of much real nutrition that keeps me from eating it. I really do enjoy what I'm eating most of the time, and feel like I can fit most things that are reasonable into my plan, but I still want the unreasonable things I know I can't have (NY-style cheese pizza from Mamma Lucia's, I am thinking specifically of you here!).

JenMusic, my experience has been somewhat like yours. Every time I have something that is pretty off-plan it never quite lives up to what I've made it into in my mind.

The one thing that does seem to have changed is that I no longer enjoy diet coke as much as I used to. I have been a diet coke addict for the last 10+ years, and used to drink 2 cans/day (my one improvement was switching to caffeine-free in the evenings). I didn't specifically set out to cut back on the diet coke over the last 6 weeks, but it just happened naturally as I started drinking much more water... and I find that when I have one now (maybe twice per week) it just doesn't taste as good as it used to. I think maybe I was just really dehydrated all those years
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Yeah I'm with a lot of you - I still crave the fast foods, the non-foods, stuff I didn't even really like before...and I still make room for a lot of it in my plan - probably too much in the past few weeks, which is why I think I've seen a stall (that and my exercise got a bit too relaxed).
I can't stop counting now, so everything HAS to fit into my allowance somehow...but I've had days on my fitday where I've looked back and been shocked by the lack of nutrition and actually volume of food in the day! I'm specifically thinking of Wednesday this week right now to be honest, though I know it's happened before.
Wednesday = Coffee with 50ml milk, wholewheat bagel with light cream cheese, canned tuna and lemon juice, Big Bacon Double Classic burger and small fries from Wendy's. And that was it. All day. What a waste! The burger definitely was delicious but since I ate it so early (before 6pm) by 9pm I was HUNGRYYYYYY.
Sorry, I kind of missed the point at the end there...but basically, I agree. And I do find it a little hard to believe those people that say they don't want to eat it at all because of the taste....but then again, maybe their tastebuds have truly changed?
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #12  
Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 280/162/160

Height: 5'8

My loss of appetite is sort of what kicked off the weight loss for me in the beginning. I don't have a sweet tooth anymore - or rather it has refined itself. I gag on most candy - give me 80% cacao bars and plain shortbread with unsweetened fruits in the center instead. I dropped my long standing 2 liter a day Coke habit overnight and haven't touched a drop since - it started tasting like an ashtray to me.

The lack of eating absolute junk for the last 3 1/2 months has fine tuned my tastebuds - things are just fine without added salt and sugar. If anything, the appetite reversal has opened me up to a lot of things I'd never considered good before - and I crave these things more than I ever craved the overly fatty, sugary, cheesy, carb-laden diet of previous consumption.

One thing I have grown incredibly fond of is the texture and taste of plain soy milk. I tried to have some homemade eggnog at Christmas and spit it right back out as it was far too sweet. Plain soy milk tastes exactly how I wanted the eggnog to taste: light, subtly sweet and refreshing.
586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #13  
!

S/C/G: 225/tick tock tick tock/130

Height: 5'4"

I can't even imagine trying to do this w/o having beaten my cravings for processed foods first. Maybe it's b/c I live in a country where not a lot of fake foods are available? I went back to the States a few months ago and was SHOCKED at how much EVERYTHING is processed and packaged. It was passing the test I went home to take that re-jump started me to get healthy.

I could not do this if I were still craving processed crackers, cookies, white flour, and the like. My body CRAVES natural, whole foods. And that's making losing weight a **** of a lot easier this time around. :-D
theresac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #14  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

i was craving spring rolls for about 2 weeks, so on tuesday i had 2 duck ones dipped in chilli sauce, they were nice but afterwards i felt really sick and my stomach was so bloated! i dont know why that is, but im thinking it was something to do with the oil since i've kept away from anything deep fried for about 3 months now. so i still crave unhealthy things, but i know i feel so much better when i dont have them. like you i hope the cravings will go away though!
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

I want fried chicken & pizza hut & CANDY!! LoL >> I fantasize about food I used to eat when I'm hungry. When I'm not, I don't crave it as much. Sometime I have to hurry up & get something in my belly just to keep from going to get Chinese take out, or anything else full of calories & carbs. Like for example, I've stopped drinking soda completely. I used to drink a 2liter a day of Mountain Dew and/or Pepsi. Well, I still want them! Just yesterday I was sooo thirsty & this 20oz bottle of Pepsi looked soooo cold & frosty .. I almost buckled .. I started justifying .."i deserve it". LOL thankfully, I didn't Instead I just grinned & grabbed a 20oz bottle of water .. Once I quinched my thirst, I no longer wanted that Pepsi ............. I think once you train yourself to eat the RIGHT foods, then it will get less difficult to say NO to the "bad" foods .. But I also don't think you should torment yourself either..
P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote