General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #1  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

Default Quitting smoking

im a smoker (i know, yuck) and im a bit worried as im desperate to quit, but don't want it to affect my weight loss.
i've ordered myself a nicotine inhalator and im going to stock up on sugar free gum. for me its not so much the nicotine, its the habit thats hard to let go of, hand to mouth if that makes sense, and the last thing i want going from my hand to my mouth is extra food lol
i hate smoking, i get embarrased lighting up in front of non smokers, try not to sit too close to people because i know it stinks, and im not exactly well off so the expense is ridiculous.
are there any others here that have quit smoking and maybe have some advice for me? by the way i smoke about 15 a day, and have done for 10 years (that is a scary fact!)
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #2  
On a mission

S/C/G: 14/14/7 (sizes)

Height: 5'2

I quit on October 1st of this year after nearly 24 years of smoking.
I didn't gain any weight from quitting smoking. I replaced cigarettes with gum (Trident Vitality is AWESOME) and exercise.
Whenever I wanted to smoke I would take a walk or I would do a few minutes of yoga with my wii fit.
For the hand to mouth munchies thing I'd keep a jar of pickles or some cut up celery and carrots.
If anything quitting smoking made it easier to lose weight because it made it easier and more comfortable to exercise.
I also set a quit date and told God and everybody that I was quitting so I had a TON of social pressure to follow through.
Are you in typically smoke free environments? Does anyone else in your home smoke? at your office?
Mindless Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #3  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I quit smoking a year ago (well, really gave them up, I'd been on and off smoking for almost a year before that trying to finally stop), and I also didn't gain weight. You won't gain weight if you don't let yourself.

I listened to the audio version of Allen Carr's book, and it helped TREMENDOUSLY. I had so much trouble quitting because of the way I was looking at it. I'd listen to it while I ran, so hearing that coupled with the fact that I knew I couldn't smoke AND run helped me quit.

You absolutely can do it. It's only hard at first. For the first 2 months or so, I'd advice avoiding other smokers, especially if you're drinking. I almost caved one time, but I'm glad I didn't. Sometimes I see people smoking and miss it, but I only miss the minor psychological boost I'd get from ending the withdrawal.

In the end, you will be SO GLAD you quit. I never get sick in the winter anymore (or hack of nasty stuff...), I can run until the cows come home and have really high cardio endurance, I don't smell anymore, FOOD TASTES BETTER!!, I have so much more money. So much more in fact that I actually started dressing nicer and buying department store makeup because I could afford it. You can do it and not gain weight! Trust me!

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 03-10-2011 at 11:37 AM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #4  
On a mission

S/C/G: 14/14/7 (sizes)

Height: 5'2

Congratulations on being a quitter Oodles
Oh yeah and after about the first month of not smoking check out the difference in your teeth, skin and nails.
Mindless Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #5  
Amazing Revelations

hey thanks, the cut up veggies idea is great! better than biscuits lol. no one else around me smokes, my dad and sister do but they dont live with me. i tried to quit last year but my ex was still living with me and he's a smoker so i failed miserably. i like your exercise thing too, i guess that made a good distraction from the cravings? the job i want is as a care assistant so most definately a smoke free environment. im also thinking of saving all the money i'd otherwise be spending on cigarettes in a jar then using it for something good at the end of the year or sometime.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to say good luck. Quitting is SO difficult.

I did it when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. So, quitting smoking, plus leaving my old job (standing/walking/cleaning all day) for a desk job and pregnancy weight caused me to really pack on the pounds.

But, as others have said, you don't HAVE to gain weight when quitting. Be aware of why you're eating and stay busy.

Good luck!!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #7  
ShrinkingHottie

S/C/G: 250.6/See success slider!!/137

Height: 5'2"

Second hand smoke is crazy.
JDTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I smoked 10-15 a day for a few years. I got to the point you seem to be at where I just wasn't enjoying it and didn't feel like I was "into" cigarettes anymore. I cut back to just a couple a day out of habit rather than desire and then decided to stop. I didn't use any programs or gum or anything, and I just stopped buying packs. They're cheap in Japan, about $3/pack at the time (raised to $4/pack now!), so money wasn't a factor in my decision.

I was just getting really into jogging around the time I quit, and while I did notice a spike in sugar cravings I didn't gain a noticeable amount of weight (I was also actively losing at the time of quitting). That annoying residual phlegmy cough you get after eating goes away, and so does the tight feeling in your throat and the need to cough in the morning. Everything smells and tastes amazing and you just feel better in general. There is also a satisfaction in knowing you didn't let it go "too far" and that you quit while you were still young. I recommend it!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I smoked 10-15 a day for a few years. I got to the point you seem to be at where I just wasn't enjoying it and didn't feel like I was "into" cigarettes anymore. I cut back to just a couple a day out of habit rather than desire and then decided to stop. I didn't use any programs or gum or anything, and I just stopped buying packs. They're cheap in Japan, about $3/pack at the time (raised to $4/pack now!), so money wasn't a factor in my decision.

I was just getting really into jogging around the time I quit, and while I did notice a spike in sugar cravings I didn't gain a noticeable amount of weight (I was also actively losing at the time of quitting). That annoying residual phlegmy cough you get after eating goes away, and so does the tight feeling in your throat and the need to cough in the morning. Everything smells and tastes amazing and you just feel better in general. There is also a satisfaction in knowing you didn't let it go "too far" and that you quit while you were still young. I recommend it!
Interesting how the same thing happened to me. After a year or so I just stopped enjoying it. It made me feel ill and I didn't enjoy the rush of nicotine. I cut back and then stopped buying cigarettes about 1-2 months ago. Haven't gained any weight - in fact I've lost 7-8 pounds since - and I feel FANTASTIC!!!
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I still smoke when I drink (which is rare) and occasionally on vacation. I can't break the association of "vacationing in Europe = smoking Gauloises" so I guess I am still a smoker about two weeks per year.

One thing that has been frustrating is that I have had chronic constipation ever since I quit. It probably also has to do with my diet, which if I am being "good" is fairly low-fat and high fiber which I know can cause constipation.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #11  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

I have told my smoking story many times . . . here's the short version
1. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
2. I smoked for 18 years - more than a pack a day
3. Started at 12 years old
4. It was the right time to quit
5. I had to do aerobics until I was absolutley exhausted to exorcise the smoking demon
6. I think I just really wanted to take some nice, deep breaths (just like I did when I lit up . . . )
7. YOU CAN DO IT! I know I already said that! You'll feel so much better - it's hard to say this strongly enough. Smell and look better, too.
8. Gum helps. I have always loved fruity gum - sour is good too.

MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/210/165

Height: 5'11

I suggest reading "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking" by Allan Carr. This book is amazing! It makes you look at quitting smoking in a whole new direction. I quit smoking right after reading and haven't touched them since, 1 year now!!! It's based on the idea of removing all the brain washing that cigerettes has had on our lives like the sex appeal, the habit etc. It's very interesting. He has clinics all over the world and the book has sold millions of copies. My father, sister and 4 friends all quit the same way, I suggest it to everyone!!
Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

I quit by using the patch after realizing I could not stand the smell on my hair or the increasingf cost. And, I would NOT smoke in my home, so it meant standing outside regardless of the weather. I am amazed at the difference it made; no more gross hacking in the morning, no more smell, etc. I did not gain any weight, but I did chew a lot of gum and crunch sugarfree hard candies.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #14  
Amazing Revelations

thanks everyone!
i looked the book up on amazon, and its even available for kindle.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #15  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

I have answered this question many times and keep a word document to just copy from. So here's my answer, and good luck!

The most effective method for quitting smoking long term is to quit cold turkey. Do not believe sites that say otherwise, they are using the statistics after 12 months, that is not truly long term. The sites that say cold turkey is less successful are almost always trying to sell something. Wiki - There's some info for you. I tried many times to quit and the time it finally worked was when I just stopped.

Some tips:

-cranberry juice - other acidic juices will help too, but cranberry is the best. It helps your system clear away the nicotine faster and as soon as the nicotine is gone (about 3 days) and true physical cravings should be gone.

- Remember that after about 3 days any cravings you have are not actually physical, even if it feels like they are. You CAN talk yourself out of it, you ARE strong enough to do this. The craving will probably only be a few minutes at a time. Keep in mind that you can make it through a few minutes. As time goes by the cravings will happen less often.

-pictures - look up some pictures of smokers lungs, just keep looking at them, print them and put them where you would normally be to have a smoke

-journal - write down all the reasons you want to quit, copy them over and over and over. This keeps them fresh in your mind and also gives your hand something to do other than smoke. (I filled up an entire 5 subject notebook)

-Sleep - if you can force yourself to sleep through the worst of it things will be much easier.

-Tell people - they can help keep you accountable and give you someone to talk to when you are craving - if you are home alone call someone and stay on the phone until the craving is over

- Find something to do to distract yourself - exercise is a good choice

- Give yourself permission to gain weight while you quit smoking. You can work on getting the weight off afterward and it will be much easier to do as a non-smoker, trust me. It makes working out and eating healthy a lot easier because my lungs are better and my taste buds are intact. Giving yourself permission does not mean it WILL happen. You still try to keep it from happening, of course, but you don't not stop smoking just because you might gain a couple pounds.

- Get the cigarettes out of your house and try to stay away from smokers as much as possible in the very beginning.

- If you do slip up that does not mean you have to be a smoker again. Just stop as soon as you realize what you've done, go brush your teeth and get back on track. It's not any different than when we have a slip up on our diets.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote