Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 01:56 AM   #1  

Default Kidney Disease

After losing 60 pounds I developed kidney failure. I, fortunately, do not have to be on dialysis but I am on a very restrictive renal diet. It is very low protein (4 oz. per day) and low potassium. I am having trouble coming up with meal plans. I live alone and have only myself to consider. Anyone with any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:50 PM   #2  

http://www.kidney.org/general/atoz/c...otrecipes.html

This link may help you. Sorry I have no direct info to help you with.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:52 PM   #3  

http://www.lowprotein.com/recipes.htm
Old 12-19-2002, 03:48 AM   #4  

Trixiepup

Thanks a lot. I checked out the first site and it looks like it will be very helpful.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:13 AM   #5  

I'm pleased to see those sites as well. Will check them out. I don't have kidney problems but dh does. He went on renal diet in Sept (but with 6 oz protein). Just spent two plus weeks in hospital after aneurysms ruptured in kidney. Is weak now and malnourished with little appetite (and lots of foods he never would eat), so I'm looking for things to "perk" him up.

He is on dialysis since that happened but we still have a small spot of hope that enough function will return to get him back to "diet only". He's scheduled for hours today. I found he lost a lot of weight on the renal diet alone because the portions allowed are so small. it's a toughie though because it's the opposite in many ways of the way we're all told to eat to be healthy. It sure is simple enough, just frustrating and boring. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:21 AM   #6  

Wink renal diet meal options

Hi Snoozie,

I have been having to do the low protien diets for several years now as a result of ongoing kidney problems as a result of Lupus,

this is going to sound kinda funny but the diet that seemed to work the best for me in keeping the protiene levels down and keeping me feeling the best was in a book i found on Prednisone.
if you would like the info on the book drop me a line and i will get you everything you need to find it with.

I was in your shoes with the idea of having to figure out how to do the low protien meals and it just be me!

I found that I would do better if i cooked only once or twice a week and packaged for each day that way i didnt have any waste!!

Good luck on your journeys..

Trish
Closed Thread