Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

I came across this topic while googling meal replacement diet plans (http://www.3fatchicks.com/a-protein-...cement-basics/) (googling because i did a shake diet in Australia, lost 40lbs, and maintained it until i moved to the states and gained it back - DAMN YOU DR PEPPER & OREOS!!!) (and i know it works for me) (and it was brought up int he first place because someone on my facebook (in Aus) is doing one)...

but has anyone tried it this way? just replacing meals with protein shakes? I already drink some protein shakes after i weight lift - but is it a viable meal replacement? danke for replies in advance

to add*** i drink soy protein. I've been using it since i was pregnant with my daughter. It was suggested i drank soy for the estrogen and the OBGYN wanted me to eat more protein to stop gaining so much weight... (and after about a week, bacon and eggs (their suggestion) was making me ill
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post

but has anyone tried it this way? just replacing meals with protein shakes? I already drink some protein shakes after i weight lift - but is it a viable meal replacement? danke for replies in advance

Did this years ago and put on more weight as AFTER I drank the shakes, I had my regular dinner. Somehow, fruits, salads and liquid meals do not satiate my hunger. I now lose weight the old fashioned way; eating less, counting calories. However, I do have friends who lost lots of weight by replacing meals with sakes. The problem is, if your are not disciplined or if you are a picky eater (like me..lol), then you might not stay on the shakes as a meal replacement for long. You can try herbal life shakes, they were very tasty when I use to visit a local shake shop!
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #3  

i was just thinking of regular protein shakes. I have 2 in my cupboard right now... one is low in sugar (and tastes like poo to me ^_^) and the other is higher. But reading further, while i watied a for a response, seems id be missing major vitamins and minerals - which may be more dangerous than helpful. So thank you for the suggestion, im also looking this up now
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

well.. I never liked those ordinary protein shakes..wouldn't say they tasted like poo (lol), but they tasted too chalky at times! Why not make your own shakes with fresh fruits, or low fat/low sugar yoghurt and quality protein powder?
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #5  

only one tastes like poo ^_^ ... the other i REALLY like but its got 17g of sugar in one serving... seems awfully high to me. While the poo tasting one has 1g. lol

right now, we dont own a blender, and im not prepared to put money into a good quality one that i may or may not use, ya know?

was looking at AmazeRx but i've yet to find anything about it
Old 03-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

I am not being the best to myself right now, but I lost a lot of weight drinking protein shakes. It wasn't all I had, but I'd start the day with one and have one as a snack. I am going to go back to it in a few days as a sort of "cleanse" to junmpstart health again.
I almost had gastric bypass and I learned a lot about protein shakes so I use the ones that a post op would drink, low in sugar and calories and high in protein. There are literally a gazillion brands and types of shakes out there. I'm no expert, but I have learned that whey isolate protein is the best absorbed. Since I am not bypassed I can probably absorb most anything but I have also found they taste good. I tried some soy ones and gosh they were terrible. I have found for ready made ones I really like the "Oh Yeah" brand. A big 16 (18??) ounce shake has just over 200 calories, 32 grams of protein and I swear its filling. I also like the Believe brand, they have a good chai one (thats the only flavor I like) but you can only get them one place and the shipping is ridiculous. I don't like the "juicy" ones like Nectar I think it tastes awful - but it is pretty popular. For a powder I love Lean Dessert. For the products I mentioned - I can't detect a protein taste. I tried a lot of different ones and some i couldn't even take a sip of becuase the smell was so bad. I think "Oh Yeah" is called that because oh yeah it tastes good. Kind of like a Shake Up - remember those back in school? Brands I have tried and hated are Isopure, Matrix, Nectar, Unjury - but everyone is different. These brands sell because people do like them.
So anyway - thats just my experience. I really like the shakes that I get and they really helped me - and I really need to start drinking them again lol!!!
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

When I was under the mistaken belief that one needed to eat every 2-3 hours I kept protein powder at my office so if work kept me from eating one of my small meals I could drink a protein shake.

Now that I know I don't have to eat every 2-3 hours I supplement very little with protein powder.

I personally believe that while you can lose weight consuming a lot of liquid protein it doesn't teach you how to eat. After all the key to losing weight and keeping it off is learning a new life style.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post
right now, we dont own a blender, and im not prepared to put money into a good quality one that i may or may not use, ya know?

There is a magic bullet knockoff at JC Penny called Cooks 5-in-1 Power Blender for $30. I got it as a gift for my wedding almost 2 years ago, and I used it everyday for smoothies, sauces etc.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #9  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

I don't replace any of my meals w/shakes, but everyday I have a Muscle Milk Light shake after my strength training sessions so my muscles can have something to feed on. 2 scoops of powder mixed with 12oz of water is 195 cals and I just factor that in to my daily calorie intake.

I would go crazy if I just replaced meals with shakes because I love food too much. I tried Slim Fast many years ago and I was completely ravenous 20 mins after I "drank" my lunch. It's just not for me.
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #10  

hopeful.. well done at all your weightloss! can i have your secret? lol

still looking at a few meal replacement shakes (thought protein would be a cheaper alternative (that post put that thought there)); cant seem to find anything good within a decent budget. Keep coming back to slimfast, but the sugar in them is atrocious. And i've yet to find information where people have lost more than 6lbs on it. I kinda want to find one, because i know they DO work for me. I count calories now and dont budget. My weight drops when i dont count ~ but then goes back up (water, right?). And Before i had my daughter i had lost 40lbs... i dont remember how i did it.
I hate feeling like im struggling against the tide
Old 03-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #11  
<a href="http://photobuck

S/C/G: 260/240/229

Height: 5 4"

i have, but only when i dont have time to eat anything.. u gotta give your body something... it didn't hold me for long but it did until i was able to get a healthy meal in...
bliss3244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #12  
~Kim~

I drink a protein smoothie almost everyday. I use designer whey and blend it with frozen strawberries. I think it's a lot more filling then something like slimfast. (which I've had) I think overall it's definitely cheaper too.

You don't have to put a lot of money in a high quality blender. I have a small single serve one that i got from walmart for like $12. It pops right off and the lid is a snap on with a drink slide so it's a cup as well.

It's usually a preworkout thing for me but sometimes I actually have it for breakfast.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/197/150

Height: 5' 2

A coworker of mine drank Protein shakes for 4 months and lost 50 lbs but also became anemic and had a lot of health problems after that. But she looked really good sitting in the Dr's office.
newnana91950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #14  

lol new

yeah im looking at weight watchers ~ my husband is considering letting me try it out (as long as i dont b*tch at him for wanting to spend $40 a month ><) lol. Im going tomorrow morning to talk to someone about what they offer specifically, and to see if its for me. This seems like a healthier alternative.

Thanks for all the responses