PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

Default Stevia

Hi all

I was given a bottle of Stevia by mum who is a huge fan of Sandra Cabbot's Syndrome-X diet. Anyway has anyone here used it? I was looking it up on Wiki and they mention how it actually improves insulin resistance which is great as I have a fairly severe borderline diabetic insulin resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

But what I need ot know is how much to use? Ie if a recipe calls for a cupe of sugar, what would that be in stevia equivilant? Also, if anyone has used it, did they notice an improvement in their insulin restisance and weightloss?

Thanks
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #2  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

Height: 5'3"

I've had it in beverages before, it comes in a crystal form as well, one packet of Stevia = 1 packet of sugar. It seems to me to have the same nasty aftertaste/weird diet taste of other fake sugars like Splenda and Aspartame (both of which give me migraines), so I've stayed away from it since.

The bottle should have a table saying what it's sugar equivalent should be, no?
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I've heard stevia like other sweeteners is sweeter in the same proportion as sugar, so I would use less. But I think if you google it, you'll probably find someone who has figured it out.

I've used stevia once or twice but to be honest, I'd rather just do without the sweetener in my drink or use raw sugar. But really, I just avoid whatever may have it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #4  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I absolutely hate the liquid extract, if that is what you have. I have some that I wanted to try years ago long before stevia became "all the rage". It was so bitter & strong I couldn't stand it, and the aftertaste was horrid!

But now, I use powdered versions. The taste is so much better and I prefer it over any art. sweetener any day. There are some really good ones out there. I prefer the ones that say they're not bitter on the package. The latest one I bought is "In The Raw" brand, it comes in packets or a bag that's equivalent to 5 lbs of sugar, you measure cup for cup like sugar. So far it's pretty good.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I thought In The Raw was raw sugar. What is the calorie count on the packaging for it? I am currently using Truvia but am not completely happy with the taste..PLUS it has MSG in it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #6  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Yeah, I don't like truvia either.

In the raw does have raw sugar but this is stevia made by the "In the raw" company.
The calorie count is 0 but I suppose it has some calories because it has maltodextrin in in to bulk it for cup for cup measuring. It comes in a green package. Here's the link to the site.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #7  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

I cant remember if I can quote other sites or not, please remove it if this is against the rules.

Quote:
"How many calories and carbohydrates are in a packet of Stevia Extract In The Raw?

In our Packet Product, one packet (1 gram) of Stevia Extract In The Raw has less than 1 gram (0% DV) of carbohydrate and zero‑calories.

In our Cup For Cup “Baker’s Bag” Product, each serving (1 teaspoon by volume — 0.5 grams by weight) of Stevia Extract In The Raw contains less than two calories, which the FDA considers dietetically zero calories per serving. "
Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

thx for the info! sounds like a good option..I also like xylitol but have to be careful of getting too much of it...
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #9  

Lightbulb

Thanks so much for this info. I am an ex-equal "addict" who misses it badly. It will be good to learn about something new uto try and that there r different versions.
bridgetteciaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #10  

I use Stevia and Xylitol, the Stevia drops and the powdered containers.

Stevia is a nice alternative to sugar, it's sweeter than sugar and it's derived from a plant in Paraguay.

I admit when i first tried it, the after-taste was not great, but you kinda get used to it after a while. I use it in lemonades and teas. Yum! Haven't baked with it though :|
Orange Cat is offline   Reply With Quote