Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/210/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Doctor visit today. :(

Hey everyone! I'm finally back, and want to stick with this forum, there is always the best advice and encouragement. Anyway, I went to the dr. today after not being able to breathe well for a few days, and was diagnosed with asthma. I used to be a (full figured) marathon runner in central California where the air quality, and most people have asthma, but I never had it I now live up in Seattle. Anyway, the doctor thinks it is either cold induced, mold induced, or bleech induced. Does anyone else here have asthma? If I lose weight will it reduce?
briters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #2  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Brittany....nice to see you.

I have asthma. I wasn't diagnosed until in my middle 30s. I used to have severe coughing and wheezing spells. I currently use a ProAir inhaler and also Advair. My spells have been reduced considerably since losing a large amount of weight. I'm not exactly sure why, but in my case, it has definitely been beneficial for me to lose weight as it has made my asthma SO much better.

Good luck to you!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #3  

Thank you so much! I am about 50 pounds overweight. I have not gained or lost any weight in about a year, so I'm not sure why it's happening now. But I am more motivated than ever before, now.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I have had asthma since I was a kid that became severe asthma as an adult (sometimes it progresses that way, unfortunately.) Losing weight helped some (I weighed about 195 in 2007), but not a lot for me. What does help me incredibly is daily medication taken very faithfully. I take Pulmicort (a non-steroid daily inhaler. Non-steroid because I've been either pregnant or nursing since Feb 2008 - the steroid ones are way better ) and Singulair, for my allergy induced asthma. I have a rescue inhaler that I'll use sometimes before I exercise , but otherwise I don't use it much.

Before I went on my daily medications in Dec of 2009 I was in the ER every 2-3 months with an asthma attack. When I went into the hospital in Dec 2009 I was admitted for 3 days, put on massive doses of steroids and told by 2 doctors that it was the kind of asthma attack that they can't always bring people back from. That set me straight on my "I don't need to take my daily meds" attitude, for sure! Since I've started taking my daily meds I have not had a single asthma attack. After 10 years of severe attacks I've not had a single one in more than a year. So, all that to say... it is absolutely a manageable condition, even if it's severe. I can still run and play volleyball and whatnot. It's good to figure out your triggers (my big ones are cats, dust, and pollen, and exercise to a lesser degree) so that you can avoid them or manage them as necessary.

Good luck! I hope you get it managed well.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #5  

Wow, thanks Gale! This is very new to me. I assumed it was bronchitis again, since I had it about 6 days ago. So I went 3 days not being able to breathe well. Since it come on so fast from us moving, I have a feeling we may need to move away.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Hey I've had severe asthma since I was a kid. I think losing weight- and being fitter- has helped A LOT. I think the fitness is just as important, if not more important, than the weight loss. But they kinda go hand in hand So I would say, if you lose weight it will probably reduce. And if you lose weight, gain in fitness, take your preventative (if you have one) then there's no reason that I can see (without knowing ANY of your medical history or details lol) that it shouldnt improve and be very manageable

Last edited by Iconised Ghost; 03-08-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 AM   #7  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I had my first asthma attack when I was 12. I fought with it every winter until I was 18-19, when I seemed to outgrow it. It came back hardcore in my late 20's though when I moved out of state and had gained about 100 pounds. It went away when I dropped most of the weight off, but seems to flare up for a season or so every time I move, whether it's across town or across the country. I'm not sure if it's the new enviournment or the stress that triggers it, maybe both.

Losing weight has definitely helped a lot though, I can actually feel a huge difference between now and 100+ pounds ago; my attacks are no longer bad enough to take me to the ER and usually only flare up when I'm already sick with something else, like the flu. Something I think most people fail to realize is that fat can literally shrink your lung capacity, as extra fat in the abdomen can press up against your diaphram and hinder your breathing.

So you'll want to lose weight, there will be so many benefits in addition to easier breathing. Something that can help strengthen your lungs (and overall health) is exercise, particularly swimming. Be sure to listen to your doctor of course, and take any prescribed meds as directed in order to prevent and treat attacks. Good luck to you.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/133.4/135

Height: 5'4"

I've had severe asthma and severe allergies since I was a little girl (I had a medicine "drawer" my whole life). It got a little better with weight loss as I fluctuated weight throughout life but not much for me. Like Gale, I need to medicate regularly or else I end up in the hospital. Unfortunately, running for me isn't possible (even when I was super fit in college I couldn't run without having an attack).

That said, you can still lose weight with asthma, even severe asthma. I walk fast at high inclines, do workout videos, hike in nice weather, do some weight training, etc. It might take a little longer because the workout isn't as "high impact" but it is worth it in the end to get healthy.
asweetchicagogirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

sweet- why does having an attack every time you run mean you cannot run? Is it a severe attack each time? I only ask because I have an attack every time i run too, and I've been running regularly, taking part in running events and doing quarter marathons- just always have my inhaler at the ready (and spares with supporters!)
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by briters89 View Post
Anyway, the doctor thinks it is either cold induced, mold induced, or bleech induced. Does anyone else here have asthma? If I lose weight will it reduce?
I have situational asthma I am very allergic to molds and it does induce asthma in me. Believe it or not but exercise used to do it to me too but since I have lost some weight I don't find that to be the case. I don't know if weight loss alone will make it disappear but I hope it will help it. The last time I used my inhaler was during the summer, so I am a little nervous as the summer nears. I wish you the best.

Last edited by Dusti; 03-09-2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: word usage
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/133.4/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
sweet- why does having an attack every time you run mean you cannot run? Is it a severe attack each time? I only ask because I have an attack every time i run too, and I've been running regularly, taking part in running events and doing quarter marathons- just always have my inhaler at the ready (and spares with supporters!)
Really? Good for you, that is awesome.

For me, it is a severe attack every time after running more than 5 minutes continuously, even when I was in tip-top shape. It has been that way for as long as I can remeber and I was by no means an inactive or unhealthy child (well, other than asthma sending me to the hospital ever few weeks). Inhalers can't help at that point...I just have to slow down or, worse, stop. I've tried building endurance over time but continuous running is pretty much a "no-go" for me. What I can do (and do, do sometimes) is run 1-2 minute, slow down for 2 minutes walking fast, run 1-2 minutes, etc. Its not much, and I look silly, but it gets my heart rate up without my airways significantly swelling.
asweetchicagogirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote