Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'-1"

Question Treadmill Challenge...

Okay I just wanted to share my experience and maybe gain some information...

I just purchased a Golds Gym treadmill. I started on it yesterday. I did the first level weightloss setting and within 10 minutes... I thought I would die. LOL I got very lightheaded and dizzy. I turned it off the program and just hit the 2 mph setting and did that for another 10 minutes. I finished off and sat on the couch for a moment. I really felt like I was going to pass out. I'm disgusted with myself for that. I guess it just makes me realize just how out of shape I am, as if the fat tummy didn't give that away. LOL I woke up this morning at 5:30 and worked again. This time I inclined the machine as high as it would go. Set the dial at 2 mph and began. I did this successfully for 10 minutes. This was feeling good, so I stepped it up to 3mph, I took the incline off of course, and did another 10 minutes. I slowed the machine to 2mph again and cooled off for 5 minutes. I guess I'm looking for some validation that this was the proper thing to do... any treadmill tips?

Thanks....
DanielleLynnMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

If this is the first few times you've been on a treadmill, start out slowly. No need to jump into more than your body can do. Just build up your stamina and walk until you can move at a good pace. DOn't go so hard that you feel like you're going to pass out or think you're going to die. That's not beneficial, no matter what you see on a made-for-ratings tv show. Don't incline it as high as it'll go when you're just starting out, unless it only goes to 3 or 4% ... but if you're putting it to 10%, that's higher than you need to go and you'll get benefits and able to build endurance better at lower incline for longer and then when you're able to boost the speed up there, raise the incline a bit. Don't start "all out" because you'll get sick of it within a few weeks and not feel like you're seeing much progress. '

Start with your warmup going slowly - whatever that is for you to get your heart going a bit more, 2.5 or so and increase it to 3, then up by decimals until you're at a speed that you can maintain for a decent time - if you want to do intervals, go up a bit for 60 secs, then back down almost to where you were, then up, etc. ... that's not something you have to do - but an option for some workouts. Add incline now and then, not something for all the time, but for some. Then when your body is more able to handle the stress of the harder challenges, work those in.

Congrats on getting started!! But don't abide by the "no pain no gain" theory, it just burns folks out much quicker.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I agree with nationalparker. You need to start slowly and keep challenging yourself, but don't rush it.
Also, you should understand that each treadmill brand is probably different. For example, my treadmill has 10 incline levels but I don't know to what % the highest incline level equals to. Some treadmill have half settings, e.g. the incline can go from 2 to 2.5 to 3 to 3.5 etc.

When I start my treadmill, I immediately switch it to 3 mph (because I have a 3 mph button, so it's easier than just increasing by 0.1 mph) just to get started. I consider 3 mph a snail speed so I keep increasing. I usually start my routine by going to about 3.6 mph and at that speed, I start increasing the incline. I am on each incline level for 60 seconds, and then I go back in the same order (e.g from 10 to 9, then to 8 etc.).
I don't go to lower incline setting than 3, I keep that for jogging, too, but it took me a while to get used to it.
I am capable of keeping up at the speed of 4.6 mph, so I do fast walk at that speed for a level and then I hit a higher speed and I speed jogging.
Again, this takes time. Also, I am taller than you so I guess I have longer legs.

Also, the programs probably vary from one treadmill to another , so I don't really know what your "weighloss program 1". (You don't have to explain, I am just saying this FYI).

Good luck and enjoy your treadmill. I would have been able to lose weight without it. I love mine. :-)
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'-1"

Thanks for the advice girls. I'll just slow down a little. I guess I am just super excited to have the means to get healthy now. So, I worked out yesterday on it for 20 minutes. I started at 2mph until I felt warmed up.. then I inclined (not sure about the percentages either) and went to 3mph. That is definitely not a snails pace for me. LOL I went for 20 minutes. I quit at that time because I didn't want to push it too hard. I am getting ready to go back and hit it again now. Also did the 30 day shred after work yesterday. Oh god... personally? It kicked my butt. I finished though but just barely. I know all of it will get easier as time goes by. Thanks again for all the advice!!
DanielleLynnMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote