Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Default Skin Issues

Hi Everyone!

Having some issues with loose skin and it's only getting worse as I lose more and more weight. This is making me feel insecure and when I look at myself I am disgusted because my body looks ugly right now. I know I've come a long way and I should look at my accomplishments so far but I just don't feel great about the way I look right. Does anyone who has lost a lot of weight have the same issues I'm experiencing?

I really don't want to have surgery and I'm hoping my skin starts to tighten up after a few months..
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

I don't have any advice but this is also one of my fears...the excess skin. From your pictures on facebook, you look tight and toned. I would hope that this can be corrected with targeted work out methods and I'm sure it can be. Hope you find the answers you are looking for and continue to love yourself through the journey!
TransformingToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

About 10 years ago, i went from 245 to 170"ish and my lower stomach had quite a bit of loose skin. Over time i have gone up and down 20-30 lbs but i still have a loose area in my lower stomach. I've done years of abs and it's gotten a little better but i'm not sure it is too fixable from what i've asked at the gym as far as exercise. Do you have a trainer at the gym you could ask if they had experience with members? Just a thought, or i'm the Google queen for questions like this lol!!!! Now you have me wondering!!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #4  

It can take up to a year for skin to finishing tightening up. Incorporating weight training 3 days a week can help because it builds a little muscle that helps to fill it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I read some of the threads in the body issue/images category and pretty much most of them said their skin got better within a year. If you aren't already, add weight/resistance training and I also read that moisturizing with lotion daily or often is also supposed to help.

Hang in there! Your body just needs some time to catch up with your awesome weight loss.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

There are some very good threads and FAQs on this in the body image section under maintenance. My understanding is that it does take a year to know what will happen and there is no way to really predict if yours will tighten up or not. But go read all that stuff since it is really good and detailed.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #7  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I can relate.

There are parts of me that now look like a deflated balloon. I have batwings. It's not pretty.

Sometimes I get down on myself and scowl at the offending body parts in the mirror. Sometimes I consider the possibility of surgery one day to tuck and tighten certain things. Sometimes I wish I was younger and had more resilient skin.

But while I may wish that I'd never put myself and my body in the position where it had to look like this, I never wish that I hadn't lost the weight. Having skin issues pales in comparison to the negatives of being morbidly obese. Most days I'm able to focus on the positives - how good I look now in clothes versus before, and how my body is stronger and better now that it has ever been.

Something else that helps me is looking at this as the price I have to pay for abusing my body for so many years. I can't expect to have lived a lifetime overweight and not expect there to be a consequence. If some loose skin is the worst that happens to me from being fat all those years, then that is a small price to pay.

And yes, like others have mentioned, I've read up on it, have incorporating weight training and calisthenics, and hope that things do tighten up a bit as time goes on. But realistically, I know my body won't ever look like it would had I never been fat. But to not be fat anymore is priceless.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I lost 100 lbs. in my early 50s so I had age against me, too. Happily, the skin tightened up pretty well. I did weight training during the entire weight loss journey and continue to do so.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

I can totally relate. The first time I got down to about 150, I was so freaked out by how my body looked, I ended up gaining back about 30-40 lbs (pretty much where I am now). Although I want to weigh less, I actually think my body looks a bit better now than it does at 160-150, because I fill up my skin a bit better with those 30-40lbs. It seems so counter-intuitive, but I was just really freaked out by how I looked when I was quite thin. That is an issues I'm still not sure how to deal with---I guess I feel comfortable at the weight I am now, whereas I got really self-conscious the closer I got to my goal weight. I think part of it was the way I looked and part of it was that I didn't have the 'blanket/security' of the weight at 150-160 like I feel like I do at 180-190. Weird! I'm still trying to figure it out!

Anyway, the unfortunate part is that by being overweight, we have stretched our skin out---depending on your age and genetics will determine how your skin responds. If you are pretty young, then I think you should be fairly happy with the long term results, but many many people who lose weight either have a bit of excess skin or resort to surgery. I know I will get breast implants (and perhaps a tummy tuck) after I have kids, because I literally have no boobs anymore, even at 185. At one time, I had a 38DD, and I'm probably a small B now, talk about deflated balloons (TMI), there is no shame in surgery if you will feel better about yourself!

Good luck

p.s. weight training won't change your skin---but muscle does help skin to look better. It isn't fair for people to say weight training firms up skin, what it does is create lean muscle so your skin hangs nicer over the muscle than it does fat

Last edited by sfree13; 03-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #10  
~*Regina*~

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

This is one of my biggest fears when I loose 100+ pounds. I am loosing the weight for my health and also because of my image, I can't have "bat-wings" for arms!!
When you all say strength training, what kind of exercises does that in-tale? I normally just walk for my exercise.
BlueEyes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #11  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

BlueEyes- Lifting with weights, using resistance bands, balance balls and/or your own body weight (push ups, etc.) There's many other different ways to do it but walking is cardio, I believe.

Personally, I do it because I want to keep whatever muscle I have so that when I lose weight, I'm losing more fat rather than muscle. JMO
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Hey Everyone!

Sorry it took me so long to respond back, thanks so much for all of your replies. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather deal with loose skin then be back where I was last year at 267lbs. I'm healthier, I have so much fun shopping for clothes I can actually fit into now, and my kiddos love that I'm more active with them.

Last night I asked my husband if the skin bothered him and he said not one bit. He married me when I was larger and if he loved me then, he is going to love me the way I am now. I was really hoping I would be able to wear a 2 piece bathing suit this summer but I don't see that happening. Maybe next year when I'm a little more toned and my skin has shrunk..

For now I'm going to enjoy my success and not worry about the skin!
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyP View Post
Hey Everyone!

Sorry it took me so long to respond back, thanks so much for all of your replies. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather deal with loose skin then be back where I was last year at 267lbs. I'm healthier, I have so much fun shopping for clothes I can actually fit into now, and my kiddos love that I'm more active with them.

Last night I asked my husband if the skin bothered him and he said not one bit. He married me when I was larger and if he loved me then, he is going to love me the way I am now. I was really hoping I would be able to wear a 2 piece bathing suit this summer but I don't see that happening. Maybe next year when I'm a little more toned and my skin has shrunk..

For now I'm going to enjoy my success and not worry about the skin!
Yay for your supportive husband and for you accepting yourself for how far you've come! Its always inspirational to see people like you be so successful!
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote