Carb Counters - Primal/Paleo in March 2011!

View Full Version : Primal/Paleo in March 2011!

Ilene
03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Wow, March already, we forgot to start a thread :shrug: Oh, well...

I was doing well at the start of March but this morning I woke up and gained 5lbs over the weekend, I know it's carb bloat but just the same it's discouraging...

Two days of snow storms there is lotsa snow here at the moment!

Natalia
03-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Ilene, thanks for starting the march thread.

Don't worry about those carb pounds, they will be off before you know it. When I used to have treat meals I wouldn't weigh for a day or two because as I figure... That number is extremely misleading ( we know it's not 5lbs fat)

I think I decided I will just go back to lowcarb today and get some extra fluids.. I have stuff to do outside the home and I hate feeling sick. Dh needs pants for the funeral which is tomorrow; I can't sew and he usually needs everything tapered and hemmed. Ugh.. And he worst part is he couldn't care less so I am stuck doing all the worrying. If it were up to him he'd wear jeans and a tshirt. I found a pair of pants but I think they're too small for him ..

I don't know whether to try someplace like marks or someplace dressier like moore's. And my mom is sick so I have no one to watch the kids... So have to drag them everywhere with me. Lovely.

I wish I enjoyed drinking liquids but it has always been a struggle . I'm the type of person who can nurse a can of coke zero all day and still have some left over at bedtime.. So it's a lot of effort to make myself drink more. I almost never feel thirsty.

I picked up some caffeine free pop yesterday so I have something to drink besides water, and made a pitcher of sf Koolaid which I am drinking now.

I sure hope i can find pants!!

wildviolets
03-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Hey ladies, I think Gary Taubes is on Dr. Oz today!!!! I can't even watch it because I can't stomach Dr. Oz anymore. I know they are going to slant everything in Dr. Oz's favor which will just upset and anger me........

Let me know if any of you watch it.......

Natalia
03-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Hm, that should be interesting.. Isn't dr oz anti low carb?? And Gary taubes is not one to back down from a heated debate.. I love gt! Lol

I should see what time he airs today :)

Thank you for the heads up!

Edit to add: I tweaked a bit and feeling much much better and more energetic!

I am having more protein and still low carbs..for lunch I made "pancakes" with flax and egg and a bit of baking powder and splenda. Topped with butter and sf syrup, they went down awesomely! Having a diet dr pepper now.. Wonder if I'll be up tomorrow?!

CJZee
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Link to Gary Taubes and Dr. Oz
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/man-w...ays-wrong-pt-1 (http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/man-who-thinks-everything-dr-oz-says-wrong-pt-1)

Natalia
03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I love GT! LOL
Saw the segment and it went as I expected, though it was nice to see even Dr Oz admit at the end that some people do better with very low carb diets, but he still has the fear of fat ..

walking2lose
03-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I just watched all three segments of Oz v. Taubes. Very interesting -- thanks for sharing! I have some thoughts, but I'll have to post them later.

I canceled my walk because I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I know why -- too much stress and not enough sleep.

Hoping to fight it off by going to bed early.

Happy belated March to all ;)

Sskar
03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I hit onderland today!

Plus, Dr. Oz is fatphobic...

CJZee
03-08-2011, 07:44 AM
I hit onderland today!

WOW!!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot::bravo::cp::cp::cp: :cheer:Sskar, my super congratulations on hitting Onderland!!! What a milestone, you must be so happy and proud. You may just be my motivation to start shrinking again. CJ

Ilene
03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I hit onderland today!

Plus, Dr. Oz is fatphobic...:bravo: Sskar on your hitting onederland... You lost 105 lbs :fr: awesome!! I agree with your comment about Oz... I just wish Gary Taubes would have defended the food plan more, like we don't have to eat eggs and sausages or bacon every morning, if we eat grass fed beef and eggs we're ok... And Oz made it look that all he ate was three veggies, kale, spinach and brocoli, NOT!! Fruits are excellent but you have to chose the Lo GI ones... Also he could have had that salmon for supper instead of othat prime rib... Oz always makes himself look so perfect...

Back on track now, took me a while yesterday to get rid of the carb cravings, my best meal was supper :D and I'm feeling good today now...

Ilene
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Oh and another thing that bugged me when Oz was eating his steak and green bean meal, he said he was tired! BS, I am never ever tired or bloated after eating a lo to no carb meal... He was sooo playing it! I like certain segments of his show, they are informative, but he bugs me just the same...

Natalia
03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Sskar- wow!!!!! Welcome to onederland!!!
Look at how far you've come; what an inspiration!

Day 2 update of my fat fast turned fat/light protein fast-
Down a pound! So down 2.8 in two days.. This is a faster loss than I even saw week one of low carbing. I'll finish my experiment and evaluate from there. Maybe my body does best on a super low carb level? Hopefully once I get into maintenance, I will have bigger numbers to work with. Low induction numbers for a lifetime is doable but monotonous! In the book, it gives parameters and even highly metabolically resistant people usually maintain fine on 50 grams or more..

Natalia
03-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Oh and another thing that bugged me when Oz was eating his steak and green bean meal, he said he was tired! BS, I am never ever tired or bloated after eating a lo to no carb meal... He was sooo playing it! I like certain segments of his show, they are informative, but he bugs me just the same...

Yeah but did you notice the size of the steak? He was probably tired of chewing! With like a 20oz steak on the plate... I have never eaten that kind of portion in my life. Plus at the beginning he let's slip that sometimes I really enjoy eating this way.. :) I thought the same thing about the salmon, those plates could have been interchanges. At the very least they should have put a huge scoop of brown rice on oz's plate.

wildviolets
03-08-2011, 01:10 PM
This is why I wouldn't watch Dr. Oz.....he just FRUSTRATES the heck out of me. I'm not a very good communicater and it's hard for me to stand up to my beliefs and this wol has become a strong belief in me. GRRRR he drives me nuts!

Oh well....congrats on all the weightloss everyone!

walking2lose
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I hit onderland today!

Plus, Dr. Oz is fatphobic...

Woohoo!!! Congrats! :carrot:

I totally agree with all the comments on the Taubes/Oz match up. First of all, can you say CARB FLU?? Oz kept griping about he felt, but he did this for ONE day with no transition whatsoever. Robb Wolf describes the process very well... your body must transition to running off fats, and for some people that means feeling tired for a period of time. He didn't even mention that, and I wanted to cry foul.

I agree too about the meals. Oz's meals didn't mimic how I eat at all. For one thing, the dinner thing was weird -- he could have easily and healthfully eaten the salmon and veg instead of the steak. It was meant to demonstrate the extremes, but still it annoyed me.

Also, I have never had a pork rind in my life! Primal/paleo is full of fresh vegetables, some fruits, etc, but the show made it look like Taubes just wants people to eat 100% pure meat/cheese/pork rinds, which I have to agree kind of sounds unsustainable. I've been eating delicious primal/paleo foods for 10 months, so I know it's very sustainable and makes ya feel GREAT.

I sure wish he had some of our meals on there! Or some of the lovely creations from this website (http://nomnompaleo.com/) (scroll down...nom, nom!!!). Or this one... (http://www.primal-palate.com/) (their recipes are absolutely divine!).

Ah... that got me going.

I got a full 8 hours of sleep last night and feel SO much better. I plan to do the same tonight because I do not have time to be sick right now.

I'm going to do a walk and then fix dinner and try to get to bed early. We are having sauteed kale with lemon juice and garlic and spiced burger patties with mushroom and onions for dinner... maybe frozen raspberries and coconut for dessert...nom nom nom...

Arkansas Kel
03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
SSKAR: OMGOMGOMGOMG - that's AWESOME!!! You've lost 1/3 of you! You've lost a whole skinny B!tch! You are my HERO! I am SO jealous. You grok!

Today, primal, not primal, WAY NOT PRIMAL. Actually made no effort after breakfast. My fault. It should be a guilty day, as most days I'm not perfect, but today was so far from perfect I need my head checked. Is there "diet amnesia" as in I forgot my WOE and went nuts? Temporary insanity? I ended my workday with a DANISH for gosh sakes. A DANISH. I would say it "fell into my mouth" but I intentionally walked to the snack machine for it. I wasn't stressed out. I wasn't tired. I just WANTED stuff all day. CRUD, it's probably PMS. Dang. yeah, it probly is. :( I was on my way back on track so good since I was sick. Dang it. BAD GIRL. Go sit in the corner and give me 40 squats! WAAAAAAAAAAA! (Charlie Brown style please.)

Anyway, hang in there grok troopers! I'll find my way back. Hopefully with a vengeance.

Sskar
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all of the congratulations! Laughing at the thought from Kel of losing 1/3 of me :)

Seriously, I am on a mission to no longer see myself as dieting but as just eating for my health - forever.

I'm svelting!
03-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Don't know if any of you follow GT's blog. He posted a bit about his experience on the Oz show.
The Dose of Intervention and the Land of Dr. Oz. (http://www.garytaubes.com/2011/03/dose-of-intervention-land-of-dr-oz/) Wasn't the Wizard of Oz a fraud? heh.

Ilene
03-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Don't know if any of you follow GT's blog. He posted a bit about his experience on the Oz show.
The Dose of Intervention and the Land of Dr. Oz. (http://www.garytaubes.com/2011/03/dose-of-intervention-land-of-dr-oz/) Wasn't the Wizard of Oz a fraud? heh.Great Blog!! and the responses were awesome! I'll certainly add it to my favs...

Natalia
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks so much for the link to gt's blog..lots of great responses too!
Someone there made a great point about oz allegedly feeling crappy on the 24 hour experiment....take crack away from an addict and they feel crappy too :)

Maintained my weight today, i thought I'd be up for sure. I had too many carbs yesterday... But it was also my first day of exercise- 30 minutes on the bike. Very low carb planned for today

Have a great day ladies!!!!

walking2lose
03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
I agree-- I love the responses to Taubes' post!!

Have you ever cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot? Oh my! I did today, and it is divine! This might become a very regular meal in my house :)

Happy, happy primal Wednesday to all!

Natalia
03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Well I had the funeral today and after the service there was a reception I had to navigate.. Tons of sandwiches, squares, brownies and cookies. I had a coffee with cream.. That's it.. It was even easier to stay away when I heard sobeys catered it.. Not my jam ;) after the reception I had a coconut indulge bar (3 net carbs) yay me!

Tomorrow I am taking the kids to the movies alone.. Aged 7 and 3 .. I'm freaking out at not having a backup adult for potty breaks.. But it's march break and toonie days this week bc of the break. So there'll be a million kids. Carter wants concession goodies but I'm going to fix my flax pancakes right before we leave And pack a protein bar and diet pop.. I am fine anyway nots
Snacking when I'm at the movies..

Does anyone watch survivor?
Russell is so right.. He went out in a bogus way. Who throws a challenge at the beginning of the game only two men up ??' what a bunch of dumb bunnies

Sskar
03-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Never tried a whole chicken in a slow cooker, but it sounds really good.

We did do a slow-cooker pork tenderloin (so easy I can do it): for each 2# pork add 1 packet Knorr onion soup mix, 1 cup hot water, 1 tbsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp caraway seeds. Put in slow cooker on medium for 6 hours or until tender. I was in a hurry so cooked it in 4 hours on high. For some variety, I threw my favorite sauerkraut (Bubbies) in for the last hour. This dish even pleased my cantankerous mother-in-law, which is not an easy task. Then the witch dared to pull some ICE CREAM out of my freezer. WHAT THE HECK!? We do not allow ice cream in the house and she knows it. Grrrrr....

Sandman79
03-10-2011, 12:11 AM
The Dose of Intervention and the Land of Dr. Oz. (http://www.garytaubes.com/2011/03/dose-of-intervention-land-of-dr-oz/) Wasn't the Wizard of Oz a fraud? heh.

I watched the Dr. Oz show with GT and was very disappointed of the way that he experimented with diet. Eating one day on a Paleo/Primal diet and making it very exaggerated is just for Tv's sake and trying to prove his own point. His one day research made him look like a fool to me. Also I'm svelting, did you do IP bc I have seen you post on their a lot? Do you do strictly Paleo to maintain now?

Arkansas Kel
03-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Sandman! Welcome! Glad you came to visit us.

walking2lose: I also crockpot all the leftover bits of whatever I cooked for broth - just pitch in, add water, and wait forever, then strain and keep cooking. Wait for it.... keep waiting.... cook it down.... Freeze if not needed. YUMMO! Practically it's own sauce if you cook it long enough. I started saving leftover bits in a freezer bag just to do this with at a later date.

sskar: Glad u liked it - hey, you lost more than a supermodel weighs! THere's another one for you. OH, that's without the platform pumps on BTW.

Natalia
03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey girls and guys!!

I am so stoked today! Though the scale shows the same number, I feel lighter and my rings are starting to flip around my finger. Can you believe 11 short lbs ago my wedding rings were tight due to the bloaties and I actually had to wear a different ring??

I didn't have any water or many liquids at all yesterday :(
Its a constant effort as I seem never to be thirsty. And I cannot chug, I always start coughing and feel like I'm drowning- lol

Anyways the reason for my excitement is that the ONLY thing I've missed doing lowcarb is something from Tim hortons called iced Capp. It's way better than Starbucks version and I like it with Cream. The combo of sweet, coffee, and heavy cream is sooooooo good!!!!!
I have tried to replicate them in the past with no success... Well last night I tried again and it was a total success! The mistake I had been making was using the coffee in a too diluted state and not using enough cream.
Last night I made a coffee concentrate, then added the cream and ice and it had the EXACT same flavor and mouth feel!!!!
Yay!!!! I am really looking forward to having one today ... It was very rich though. Last night I didn't blend ice in as the kids were asleep so it was like drinking an undiluted melted iced Capp with full flavor..

I'll stick to one a day and it should not hinder anything.

Had a crisis yesterday.. Went to the movies with the kids way early and it was still sold out!! The Internet had incorrectly advd that the toonie movies weren't purchasable in advance but this was
not true. So at the kiosk I bought today's tickets.
Well, as some of you know, my oldest has aspergers so it was like a scene from last weeks episode of parenthood! He starting shaking and crying and saying that I promised , which I did- eek
Thank goodness he composed himself quickly- I just hugged him and whispered to him in front of the sold out sign. For the first time I was able to just focus on him instead of worrying what other people think..I think I helped as they really feed off your anxiety..

Lol he just came up to me and asked when it's going to be 350 (the movie time) so yeah we did okay. He really wanted to go to eb and tru to see the mii channel on the demos and add his own mii so I took him to do that instead .. Just swapped days really :)
Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Ilene
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Natalia -- Poor little fella :( , but congrats on dealing with it and a :hug: or :hug: :hug: always works - in my books anyway ... Speaking of Tim's I had 5 TimBits yesterday :faint: I could just :frypan: myself when I do that... Maybe you could try doing your Ice Capp with coconut milk :yes: that would be delish I think...

I haven't used my crockpot in a while but I used to put a whole frozen chicken in it in the morning and it was ready when I got home at night, great gadget... I should take it out again...

Other than my meltdown with the TimBits yesterday I've had a good week...

Arkansas Kel
03-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Yesterday I sunk. Emotionally. It was a bad day at work, with multiple levels of problems. And just so you know, I'm in medical, so probs mean lives or catastrophic losses to people. In the end, I worked all day doing my usual job, plus another person's job to help out (ya, I had agreed in advance to this to help them out), and then ended up staying late to do yet another part of a 3rd person's job. I worked 18 hrs total. Part of it in direct pt care - and I just ate. I know, that's called "I deserve it syndrome." Today, I feel like I have a hangover. I think it's the long hrs yesterday plus I'm still half sick with my sinusitus. Today's gonna be a lazy day. Planning to watch that Dr. Oz and Gary stuff and be a veg today.

Natalie: So many people say they put their children first, but really mean it as a way to "get out of something." Because they'll turn right around and do something else that leaves their children wanting or needing. (I see a lot around my job.) I think you're one of the few I've heard I feel are getting it right. If your children are first - forget those nasty judgy people. Let 'em stew in their vinegar juices. Good job.

Natalia
03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Kel- so nice of you to say that :) yes I do put kiddies' needs first; not just a facade. Sometimes though with the crohns pain and the extreme fatigue, I just feel guilty that I'm not " out and about" with them more.
Things that other people do without a second thought- sliding in snow for example. Totally out of the question :( I try to make up for it by doing less physical things but I still do feel bad.

Sounds like you had a CRAZY day!! I would just try to do what you can until you get better and then go low on carbs for a week to get cravings in check :))
Ilene- funny you mention that. I took the kids to timmys at the mall yesterday and they each got a donut. I got a coffee w cream and half a sPlenda. That sour cream glazed looked good!!!! But I stayed away :) I hate the blood sugar symptoms afterward.

One time I ate 5 in a sitting! And I could demolish a family pack of timbits
When it comes to fatty carbs I could eat like a family of 12 :(
When I used to drive Carter in the morning to school I would stop at Timmys and get iced Capp or mocha with 2 donuts!!!! Such a sugar addict, imagine all that glucose hitting my bloodstream at once! Sometimes it makes we mad bc I "should" be losing weight faster given my old diet.. But then I shake it off. Life isn't fair; get over it!

I'm svelting!
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Kel: I find it's much harder to stay on track when I haven't had a good night's sleep and a nice fatty breakfast. In the fall, I posted a link to an NY Times article on my blog that talked about the cycle between two hormones: ghrelin and leptin that made some sense to me. You should be able to find it with a search on "lack of sleep, ghrelin, leptin," Also, when my vit. Bs are up as well as magnesium, I have fewer pre-menstrual symptoms, including cravings and eating for entertainment.

Seriously, I am on a mission to no longer see myself as dieting but as just eating for my health - forever.
Sskar love this thought ... it's all about eating for health, isn't it? That's one part I loved about the Taubes blog post -- eating to correct and maintain health

Thanks too for the slow-cooker pork tenderloin idea -- it sounds delicious.

I watched the Dr. Oz show with GT and was very disappointed of the way that he experimented with diet. Eating one day on a Paleo/Primal diet and making it very exaggerated is just for Tv's sake and trying to prove his own point. His one day research made him look like a fool to me. Also I'm svelting, did you do IP bc I have seen you post on their a lot? Do you do strictly Paleo to maintain now?
Sandman I'm so glad I only read on the internet about television shows. I'd get really riled watching something like this. Yeah, I lost most of the weight using IP, and now I'm eating à la primal/paleo/perfect health diet to maintain. It was such an easy transition.

When I used to drive Carter in the morning to school I would stop at Timmys and get iced Capp or mocha with 2 donuts!!!! Such a sugar addict, imagine all that glucose hitting my bloodstream at once! Sometimes it makes we mad bc I "should" be losing weight faster given my old diet.. But then I shake it off. Life isn't fair; get over it!
I read something today that donuts are total CW inflammation-bombs: white flour, HFCS, industrial seed oils, and some trans-fats for good measure! I used to get a coffee and 2 donuts, then drive to another one for the same thing so I didn't look like a total pig at one store! :o

Natalia
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM
svelting- LOL on the donuts! I would just get a 6pack ans then people would assume you were bringing them to work ! Though that tip is of little use to you now ;)

So I did good at the movies. Got the kids a kids pack to split (popcorn, iced tea and kitkat) which I HELD so there would be no fighting/spillage and still OP!
I rock! :D I had a nestea zero, and a delicious Atkins bar, both of which I packed (the atkins bar is a new vriety and it tastes just like ferrero rocher chocolates ..Mmm..

so all went well there.. then got the fam McD's for supper, as we were running late. I had 2 mcdoubles, no ketchup, no bun, and a coke zero :carrot: wasn't tempted in the least to have the crappy old grin and starch :) I think the longer I lowcarb, the easier it gets!

Hope everyone had a great day!!!!

Ilene
03-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Natalia -- you're right the longer we lo carb the easier it gets

I did so-so yesterday, I skipped supper, sort of, drank wine and ate almonds all night :cheers: ... It's either the almonds or the wine but I sure emptied myself this morning to the tune of being down a pound :goodscale: ...

Today it's housework and clean eats... I may make a asparagus soup I found in the Coconut Oil Miracle book... I'll let you all know how it goes later on...

Have a great day ladies and gent :wave: ...

I'm svelting!
03-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Ilene mmmm asparagus soup. Please post your review! Local asparagus season isn't *that* far away.

Natalia : thanks for the 1/2 dozen tip. That would have saved the sales tax too. Oh well, I'm not going to start that habit again. I will not. :tantrum: :D

Arkansas Kel
03-12-2011, 08:43 PM
OK, I'm back on board at least in a moderate way. Was fairly good today. An apple with almond butter breakfast (was in a hurry - on way out to go shopping), then steak and shake for lunch (I wasn't hungry). Got one of the new steak dogs - actually quite good - plus unsweet tea. I left most of the bun on my plate :) That's it. Nice. I have slept slept and slept since the awful Thursday. Might eat again IF I get hungry. Right now, am not. NICE. I missed this feeling. BTW my couponing was above average today - got $264 worth of stuff for $135. I've done better, but the sales plus coupons just didn't fall into place enough for me. Got a pork loin for 1.97/lb - never cooked one before - any hints? I'm still just a little sick, but so so much better. and PMS is beginning to let up. TMI? sorry boys.

HEALTH? That's a good idea. Sounds better than I gotta lose 100 lbs for a wedding week after next doesn't it! I like the way ya'll think. From this day forward I'm not dieting I'm eating for my health. I LOVE IT!

Ilene
03-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Hang in there Kel you can do this :hug:

Today I made Cream of asparagus soup (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3755745-post31.html) it was very good and simple to make... I added to the Paleo recipes section...

Natalia
03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Kel- there's no wrong way to cook a pork tenderloin- always yummy! Maybe just watch you don't overcook it as it's quite lean. You could run it with spices and olive oil and bake or grill it, or when I'm pressed for time I slice it into rondelles and then fry on the stovetop. Add a bit of cream at the end for the pan juices and you have a nice sauce too to spoon over your veggies. Slice the rondelles nice and thick though so they won;t dry out. I made it a couple days ago and served with vegetable medley and butter- yum!

Ilene- down another pound!! Lucky girl, I'm afraid if I had almonds and wine the scale might not be kind..LOL I had been very much enjoying red wine, like a 3 in sweetness, for the first time in my life. BUT alas, I m on an antiboitic until further notice where I can't drink. So I've just been staring t the bottle on the counter for 2 weeks ;((

Went out shopping with mom this evening- wanted to get Easter taken care of. Alllll done ! yay.. like $120 later, yikes. I still can't quite believe it. It sure adds up!

We also picked up a new water cooler yesterday. We were considering getting one the past couple weeks as the faucet filter is getting ratty and frankly I'm tired of changing it out for the aerator (we have a portable dishwasher that cant hook onto the faucet filter).. I sooo need a kitchen reno! Anyway the cooler was half price and I figure if it even gets hub and the kids, and me, to up our water consumption a bit, it'll be worth it. I know hub will drink it as it'll be cold now :) I like my drinks room temp and it has a room temp nozzle too but I REALLY didn't want the one with hot as I'm afraid ds would get scalded even with child lock- crap happens plus we would never use the hot for anything.. I would rather nuke my water.

and, the beast needs ANOTHER repair. this had us talking about maybe getting a new car, but I really don't want new-new car as we're still making payments on my Nissan. Hopefully the part won't be an arm and a leg and then I have a few months to save for the new car.. it needs a new fuel line?! and you can only get it thru the dealership I guess... $$$$

Had a great clean day!! and I feel great :)
HOpe everyone had a good day! Don't forget to spring ahead your clocks tonite, ladies!!

paleoforlupus
03-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum so I hope I'm doing everything properly and I hope I can get some much needed advice from alum paleos. I started a paleo diet last monday and I'm looking for some insight. It's day 6 for me and have been feeling horribly all day. I was feeling great. Today I've been tired, lethargic, sluggish and melancholy. I was tired enough to take a 3 hour nap this afternoon.

I've done some research and some have said it could be detoxing. I was vegan for 7 months prior to starting this diet so I had already cut out dairy. I've just added meat and eliminated grains. Is it possible to detox on grains??

I'm doing this diet in an attempt to better control my lupus symptoms - it has been a long road for me. Is this normal? How long before it passes?

I really hope that this new lifestyle will help me to eventually get off my meds. Any insights and advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you!!

Natalia
03-12-2011, 11:29 PM
paleoforlupus- YES!! Grains hit many of us as bad or worse than sugar out of the bowl ! Sounds like you got a bit of induction flu going on (atkins term) but I would guess you have just depleted your glycogen stores (extra carb energy) and now are starting to burn ketones(fat metabolism bypoduct) for fuel..yay

Most people feel better between 1-3 days ..hang in there, you will feel MUCH better on the other side! Meantime,make sure you get lots of calorie free fluids into you. If you feel extremely sick and weird, you can ease into ketosis by bumping up your carbs slightly .. (try 1/2 cup of milk), but if possible, grin and bear it. It will be over very soon :)

It helps to remember that feeling and weird taste in your mouth means your body is rapidly dissolving your fat ;)

Ilene
03-13-2011, 12:50 AM
:welcome: paleoforlupus :wave:

You are definitely getting the carb flu... What helps is to eat more protein, veggies and fat, have an extra meal somewhere in your day, this really helped me when I first started...

Kel , you can marinate your pork tenderloin too, there are a lot of recipes on line for pork tenderloin :hun: ... I love pork we had pork chops and for supper YUM!!

Arkansas Kel
03-13-2011, 12:57 PM
paleoforlupus: welcome and hang in there. Give it a week before you decide it's not for you. I can do anything for a week. Well, at least I think I can LOL.

Today: So far so moderate. I'm ok with it. Will do better. Had a little bread with breakfast. Didn't have many options - had an early but short day and the cafeteria only had sandwiches, cereal, milk, pastries, juice, V8 (which I ALMOST got), bagels and cream cheese. I guess I coulda had cream cheese, and middle of a sandwich but I'm not that kinda girl. I ate part of a croissant sandwich - pitched the rest plus coffee. Will be better rest of the day.

Last night I made ghee - wow, it's good. Like nutty butter. Another tasty approved oil! mmmm.

Ilene
03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Kel -- how do you make ghee?

paleoforlupus
03-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to know that this isn't just specific to me. I'm actually feeling a lot better today. I added a few more carbs (extra strawberries and melon) and it seems to be helping a bit. I do have to admit that I'm really not that hungry. Last night I didn't have dinner because I was still stuffed from lunch. I forced myself to eat breakfast this morning and I'm about to force some lunch too.

Weighed myself today and I've lost 4lbs in a little less than a week! I know most of it is fluid but that's still insane for me. I normally can only drop about a pound a week. Extra pounds love to stick with me! I still have pregnancy weight to lose so this is a bonus for me.

Thanks everyone!

Natalia
03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Paleo- good job!!!! I hope you stay with us :)

Kel- holy cow I didn't even realize it was possible to not finish a croissant. I love them so much- au naturel. Mmm!

Today we took the kids bowling- you can really tell spring is coming.. All the snow is pretty much gone., I packed some stuff like baked penguins (like goldfish crackers) and apple juice for the kids and I ate egg salad on the way there and sipped on coke zero. Doing good! The kids want to make chocolate chip cookies later- argh! Maybe, maybe not. I don't have a ton of patience with many cooks in the kitchen, I'm afraid to say :(
Hope everyone had a great clean weekend!!

Natalia
03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Replying to myself...lol
Had a good day yesterday-- and whooshed down 2 lbs today!
Have decided to set some mini goals:

163- no longer obese- gel nails
150- new AE jeans
140- new sandals
130- teeth whitening
120-125. GOAL!! Shopping for new clothes!

I wonder when I'll get there? Not if, when ;)
Hope everyone else is having an op day!!

walking2lose
03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Great goals, Natalia! You are going to be smokin!

Welcome Paleo. My sister has had lupus for twenty years - she is vegetarian, but I'd love to have her go primal.

Long, tiring day... might even go for a short nap.

Hope everyone had a good Monday!

Arkansas Kel
03-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Ilene: Ghee - very time consuming, very simple. Put cold butter in a wide skillet. Apply low (I used a setting of 2 on my burner knob - and upped to 3 for awhile) heat. Forget about it. Stir it. Forget about it. Foam forms on top. Leave it. Go clean the bathroom. Stir the ghee. Become impatient, and turn up heat to 3. Keep stirring. Watch an entire movie. Turn back to 2 for fear of burning it. Stir Ghee. Do nails. Stir ghee. Notice foam going away. Check recipe. Stir ghee. Cook supper on other burners. Stir ghee. Eat supper. Return to notice small brown bits on bottom of ghee pan. Foam is thinner. Check recipe. OK, good. Stir ghee. Fall asleep on couch. OOPS> Stir ghee. Once the bits at bottom turn a dk brown, remove from heat. Pour through a coffee filter tucked in a wide bottom funnel into a glass jar. Taste ghee - MMMMMM. Go to bed.

Arkansas Kel
03-14-2011, 11:52 PM
OK, seriously. Today's been good. Had a nice breakfast of eggs, sausage, clementine, banana, coffee. I was HIGHLY disappointed at work for lunch. Spaghetti with meat sauce or CHICKEN LIVERS. ack. Wheat or liver. ACK!!! So I went salad bar - boo. No ham or other meat on bar. Loaded up with egg, cheese, sunflower seeds and fake bacon bits. Still I kept on keeping on. Then afternoon got really hungry - can you believe it - I practically had a vegetarian lunch afterall. So, I drank a V8 I keep for back up. Wasn't enough. Ate a lara bar - finally got satisfied a little. Came home, whipped up cheeseburger inabowl. (Basically crumble the beef, and put it in bowl, top with cheese, then I grilled onions for on top of that, then topped with lettuce, tomato, pickle relish, mayo, and mustard. YUMMO! BAMMO! I'm all good again. Then had a few bites of cottage cheese plus hot tea at bedtime (about now). I AM BACK to my plan. Good thing, double meds started today. poo. C'mon plateau!

Natalia
03-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Ugh. I feel sick to my stomach literally.
Today so far was horrible. I let myself get very hungry and then ate everything in sight. One protein bar became 2 . That would have been fine except instead of having a big drink afterward, I finished d's sweet and salty granola bar, about a quarter of it. Then eating sugar I started thinking about what I could binge on... Cut a croissant, toasted it and slathered it with butter- omg dh was right- insanely good. Now I am stuffed :(((

Ah well right back on plan.. I still ate way less carbs than most people do by lunch!

After being off carbs they seem to be so toxic for me now when I eat them...
That is good I guess, now nausea you made your point.. Go away now!

Arkansas Kel
03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Natalie: Oh NO! Those croissants can be pure evil buggers. Go away nausea, you shall torture poor natalie NO MORE! Get behind me croissants.....

Today: Had a pretty good food day, slightly stressful work day. Bkfs: bacon, eggs with cheese, avocado, coffee. Lunch: sausage with kraut, few bites of black eyed peas, big pile of green beans. Left most of kraut and beans on plate - just didn't want them. Supper: meeting food (warning evil ahead) 3 inches of a sub sandwich (loaded with veg, meat, cheese) plus mayo, small handful chips, cupcake. CRUD. How'd cupcake get in there. Well they were shamrock cupcakes and the lady next to me needed another ring for her grandkiddies. It's a good excuse, right? And now, for a few cashews with hot tea. I would consider my supper moderate except for that darned cupcake - pure sugar saboteur! Satan's sweeties! Frosted crack cakes. Anybody wanna help me out here? Anyway, other than a cupcake that jumped into my hand, and a few bites of bread/chips, it's been good.

Good night grokpeeps!

I'm svelting!
03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Good Morning!

Natalia -- I too have a problem with the lowish carb protein bars. One never seems to be enough. I've banished them yet AGAIN from my shopping list and cupboards.

Kel: Cupcakes jumping into your hand and mouth? Pure possession by evil forces. Only possible explanation. ;) Seriously Dr. Kurt Harris of PaNu posted about the social value of turning down carb-y treats, provocatively entitled Smoking Candy Cigarettes (http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2010/1/13/smoking-candy-cigarettes.html).

I've had 3 good days of primal/paleo. It was time to get back to what actually works. :) I'm trying to get sufficient protein, targeting a minimum of 100 g/day. For other data nerds, i.e. those who like to track their macronutrients, I'm really liking my fitness pal dot com.

At Mark's daily apple forum, I came across a recipe for an almond or flax meal based quick bread. It's easy-peasy, and super quick -- less than 2 minutes quick! I'll post the link in the recipe thread and link to the original in the MDA forum.

walking2lose
03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Heading to Ruby Tuesday's, ladies. Hmm... bacon cheeseburger sans bun? Yep, that might be the ticket. Not grassfed, but it sure sounds good right now.

Arkansas Kel
03-17-2011, 01:24 AM
Today sucked. Surprised by being put into patient care again. Guess what. I wasn't in scrubs today. Had to borrow surgery scrub top. Guess what. It doesn't fit and I was too embarrassed to ask for a mens size to get a bigger one. They are a different color and so you can tell the mens from womens and I was too embarrassed to ask for bigger. I'm usually pretty size apathetic. Don't care who knows, don't care what the number actually is. But somehow today, I got intimidated by it. :(

Did fair on food. When I say fair I mean I wasn't perfect, but it wasn't a hog trough special either. I was on primal track except for one small granola bar (which was delicious) and one wheat roll. I worked an 11 hr day, after planning to go home early so wasn't as prepared food wise. Something's gotta give with our staffing issues! I want to get it back together (personally) and all I get to do is sleep and work. C'mon man!

Natalia
03-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I am having such a bad day! Been positively horrible since the croissant incident.I am in so much pain too; called my doc for pain pills and no ones calling back :(
I spent hours working on shamrock cookies for ds's class today. Rollout sugar cookies with colorflow frosting. They look awesome! Even drove c to school do the cookies wouldn't be ruined by the timetable to school- little one wailed the whole way there and back. Go to pickhim up this afternoon and he tells me NEVER make cookies for his class again.. Tells me everyone hated them. Wanted to strangle him. Come and find out. Everyone loved them but he had to pass them out himself and rather than tell the teacher he didn't want to (social anxiety ) he takes it out on me.. I am so sick of not being appreciated.. He doesn't want a donut on the way home and melts down in the drive thru bc I stop anyway ... Sigh!!then there's parent teacher tonight and the SPA after (mAssage!!)
So I had about 5000 frosted cookies and had told myself after I could have an iced capp I would be right back on plan. Am hAving it now and feel great about bouncing right back on Plan- so at least there's that!

Do you think I should weigh tomorrow? Or wait a few days ? I know I'll be retaining wTer from all the carbs.

I have so much laundry to do and unload dishwasher -- ugh! I don't feel like it!!

2 lc cookbooks came todAy- one on slow cookers that looks lame, and Dana carpenters 1000 lc favorites. Lots of that looks good - has anyone tried her stuff?

I better get my a in gear- just wanted to check in and make myself accountable--- I will post individual replies later, just in a really really bad mood :(

Tara

paleoforlupus
03-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Sounds like a few people are having a couple of bad days :( I hope it gets better for you quick!

Monday marked my first week on the paleo diet so I decided to do some research about workouts/exercise that might complement the diet. Has anyone tried Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness? I started on Monday and so far so good! I really like it. You don't have to go to a gym and the best part is resistance training is only 2 days per week and interval training (cardio) is only one day per week. What really makes the resistance training great is that there are 9 levels and you can gradually work your way up.

If anyone is interested in attempting it, I made a spreadsheet I could pass on that enables you to keep track of your daily progress (date, reps, etc.).

Sskar
03-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Want to know more about the Taubes vs. Oz tv show from Gary Taubes' perspective? I found a free podcast on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/taubes-vs-oz-special-ben-hewitt/id324601605?i=92227586): Livin' La Vida Low Carb. It's the latest show. Just listening now.

Arkansas Kel
03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Natalie: Dana Carpender is my HERO. Ok, well, not my hero per se, but she is fabulous. You'll find lots of good things in there.

Paleo: I'd love to see your spreadsheet. I've been thinking I should start some primalcise soon. Also, way to go - 1 week is a great start.

OK, so today I was moderate again. Totally primal with the exception of a biscuit, 1 cookie with punch (trust me, my boss' boss handed it to me, I nibbled and sipped politely as they were for her party), and a slice of bread at supper (it was that buttery texas toast stuff). OH, and breaded okra - was so good. Maybe it's easier to post my bad so I can work on shaving it back off. Tomorrow I'll cut it back farther. So, today that was 5. Tomorrow 4 or less.

I've had a debate going. Posting on here is good therapy for me. I keep track a little more, focus more on my choices and feel like I know some of you. However, I'm not going all out like some of you are. I'm not there right now because of meds, losing isn't in the cards right now. Maintaining (although that is at a weight that would shock most to be acceptable) is a huge thing for me. I need you guys, but I sometimes feel like (no, not because of you) that I'm not quite in the same boat with you. My goals are a little different. I hope one day to get back to hit it and get it mode, but for now I'm not. I would be AFRAID to know where I'd be on my meds without this WOE though. Geez louise! I shot up 20 lbs since August and only plateaued by starting primal. Now I'm maintaining, and that's on a double med dose I just started last month. :)

Anyway, maybe I'll start some workin' out primalcize soon. (Is that like Jazzercize with jungle drums?)

walking2lose
03-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Hi all,

Just a fly by before work. I cooked another crockpot chicken yesterday --- soooo good! So, lunch is packed, and besides being exhausted (still), I plan to have a good day. I'm really looking forward to the weekend so I can get some blasted sleep (very tired of my stressful job!!! it's not very primal).

Good luck to all with your various challenges today! I hope to get caught up and caught it up on the thread this weekend.

Happy Primal/Paleo Friday, girls!!!

paleoforlupus
03-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Walking2lose: Apparently you can't upload .xls files in this forum. If you want to send your email I could send it that way. You definitely have to read Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness Manual. It tells you exactly what to do. It's free at marksdailyapple.com.

I am feeling great now! Totally over that carb flu I initially had. So far I'm down 6lbs. My official 2 week weigh-in is on Monday and I'm not dreading it - for the first time ever!!

I have been totally paleo, no grains, no sugar, just lean meats/fish/seafood, veggies, fruits, nuts and green tea. It's crazy but it's been really easy. There is a tub of edy's (ok 2 tubs) in the freezer and I baked 2 dozen cupcakes for a St. Paddy's day party (and was surrounded by goodies at the party) and I just have no desire to have any of it! Dare I say it but my sweet tooth is not so sweet on sweets anymore. Is that normal? I thought by now I would be dying for something sugary but it is the complete opposite.

My body is also thanking me as well. My lupus symptoms have diminished. I have only had slight pain in my ankles towards the end of the evening. Nothing in the morning. It usually takes me a little while to get up in the mornings because my joints are incredibly stiff and painful (I usually can't even lift my baby out of her crib in the morning) but over the past week, I've had no pain. This is quite unbelievable to me!! I've been in pain for so long and in under 2 weeks....I'm quite beside myself! All this and no steroids, this is so huge!

I'm knocking on wood. I've tried everything to control my symptoms through diet so I can get off my meds. I was vegan for 7 months and that reduced symptoms but not like this. I really think there must be something about grains and me that don't mix.

Ok, off to play Cinderella with my 3 year old.

Natalia
03-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi girls!

In a lot of pain again today. Gastro office did not call back.. I wonder if it's bc the doctor is going to call personally later or maybe he's off. But it makes me sick that they make you suffer worse than an animal under the guise of potential addiction. Give me a break! I am in so much pain and they should be willing to treat it!!

Going lc today! I'm waiting for the pain pill to kick
In then will be making eggs and bacon... No school today for ds due to parent teacher and it's raining cats and dogs out there! At least it's not snowing..if it calms down later I might go to Costco with the kids. I need Epsom salts and could stock up a bit on protein and veg. We didn't get the groceries yesterday like we usually do bc of parent teacher and my massage (which was awesome btw) or maybe Superstore- we're out of water , the big ones.

Looked thru Dana carpenters book and it looks interesting. I still haven't tried cauli rice or fauxtatoes yet and I really should.
And in the other book I found a yummy looking crockpot recipe that's got chicken cubes, cauli and cheese. It sounds yum..

Kel- ikwym about the drugs! The one you're on, I think it's not recommended for more than six consecutive cycles so there's solace in that.

The other thing , I don't want to come across as a witch!! And I want to say that on drugs that increase your appetite and make you gain normally, maintaining is a Huge victory!! But it's still possible to lose with almost any drug, including steroids, if one is low enough on the carbs. It's certainly not for everyone... But sometimes it's the few grains that cause us up perpetually crave, want more, and have a greater propensity to put on weight..I'm on a few drugs that are certainly a reason that weight loss is slow and challenging, but since I might be on them for years or forever, j don't want to wait that long, Kwim?

I reiterate that I truly believe that maintaing is a victory to celebrate that most people can't do (even without being on meds) but I wanted to post this to lyk that it IS possible- if you didn't want to wait.

Paleo- that spreadsheet sounds interesting !! I should really get far more exercise than I do- it's ridiculous ! I know it's an excuse, but with the butt issues I an so sore the next day it's almost conditioning me to be a lazy blob :(
Maybe I should just tone my arms, lol

Sidenote- if you ever see a strange word out of context I am usually typing on my itouch and it subs words. I hate it but I hate waiting for my laptop to warmup more..lol

Oh yeah..kel, have you tried and enjoyed any if Dcs recipes?? I don't know where to begin!

So I deep cleaned the house yesterday... Now I usually do the minimum- I am so fatigued!but vacuumed the living room, entryway, and mats on my hands and knees... Cleaned the kitchen, cleaned the clutter, took a trunkful
Of donations to the vv, unloaded dishwasher, dis tons of laundry including bleach load (never gets done)..packed cs too small stuff into a bin, put away our winter coats , conditioned all the leather furnitureetc! It feels so good! Mind u, neat freaks would still see a million areas that need help, but for our home, it's almost as good as it gets.. I will work on maintaining it (difficult!!!!!!) and I have z few other things to do. The bedrooms and bathroom aren't great ATM , the basement stairs are bad and the car needs help. The fridge is dirty too.
Have a great day, ladies!!

paleoforlupus
03-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I did it after 7 months of being vegan and 2 weeks of being paleo, I ate some cow! I had a ny strip and it was delicious! And, I ate the whole thing! I really thought that I might not be able to go through with it but it was no problem. Definitely something I'll only eating every few months though.

One thing I've definitely been noticing is that everything is starting to taste better. Salad (I've always loved salad) is starting to taste sweeter. Has this happened to anyone else? I've even eliminated almost all salt and everything is still tasting better. Not complaining but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Arkansas Kel
03-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Natalia: You are right, and you were kind about it. I am working to gain better control. I can honestly say that the impact is huge on my choices even when I'm not trying to "be good" my choices are way different than before I tried paleo. I choose grilled over breaded (never wulda happened b4). I choose nonstarchy sides as much as I can (not normal). And I care less and less what others think about it. I routinely eat a piece of fruit about 3PM while my officemate eats a candy bar. I wish I had remembered to pack a lunchbox of snacks when I forget and end up WISHING for an apple (that never happened before either). I need to ratchet it down another notch towards paleo. I did only have 4 foods off plan yesterday. Today, I'll should be completely on plan the rest of the day.

I've done carb counting before, with moderate success. The difficulty is I'm a slow loser anyway and eventually I'll drift away from it. I've found less drifting with paleo as my choices remain good on most things I eat. I've not viewed it as all or nothing.

Dana Carpender! OMG, if the recipe for Joe is in there that's a staple at my house. I whip it up for supper, and we finish it for breakfasts or lunch boxes. The chili dog casserole rocks. Fauxtatoes we even eat when not "dieting." I just nuke bag of cauli, pulverizer of your choice (blender, food proc...), add butter, salt and pepper during pulverizing. Don't add liquids to mine, makes them too runny. Have added cream cheese, shredded cheese or sour cream with good results. Excellent with steak if u spruce them up, perfect plain with meatloaf. Those are my standby's but I'm sure there are more I'm just not thinking of right now.

Exercise won't be a prob today, DH and I have decided to clean the garage - and that's a major undertaking. Prob is I don't know where he is right now. :( Well, sometime today we're gonna tackle that heapomess we call a garage. Maybe after my tea.....

Ilene
03-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Paleo -- I for one find everything sweeter and saltier since I started this WOE...

I've been on Spring break, I didn't do much, shopped a lot, but even then I didn't buy much either... I didn't eat badly but not that great either....

On with a new week back to the routine...

Arkansas Kel
03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
HEY, almost completely on plan yesterday. One off plan choice - had a caramel sunday at the end of the day. That's it. :) SOOOO much more control than I had been having, of course, I was at home, so odds were more in my favor.

Today, almost completely on plan. Had usual bkfst, hot wings with salad at work for lunch, apple in afternoon, 3 pieces candy (oops, sliding). Supper involves pasta, but that's still closer than I've been for awhile to primal. I'm working in the right direction. And it wasn't so hard today. Tomorrow I'll get even better! I think I can I think I can I think I can....

walking2lose
03-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi all,

Just another quick fly by to say howdy! No time to read everything, but I will catch up soon (I hope). Made some delicious curry soup this weekend... yum!

Hope everyone is well,

quiddkidd06
03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Hey ya'll,

My name's Shannon and I just started eating primal/paleo a couple weeks ago. At first, it started because a trainer at my gym suggested that I don't eat carbs after 5pm. I started looking around on the internet to see if that "did" anything, and I ended up coming across paleo/primal stuff and it seemed pretty interesting.

I cut out my morning toast and also have stopped eating dairy. I LOVE bananas but how shocking is it that there are like 27g of carbs in each banana?

I try to keep my carbs way low on days where I'm not working out and add in fruit and sweet potatoes before or after a tough workout.

I used to be big into calorie counting, so I feel like I'm still in this limbo stage where I'm like "is this really going to work??".... especially when I'm eating an avocado or using coconut milk or even just olive oil!

Just thought I'd join the conversation in here, if that's okay, to keep me on track and have a place to talk to other people going through the same eating challenges as I am!

--Shannon

Ilene
03-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Welcome Shannon :wave: ... I for one will never go back to the "old calories in/out" way of eating.... I feel so less bloated this way too... Good luck...

Arkansas Kel
03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Shannon: Welcome!!! I agree with what you are doing, and whole heartedly agree we must find our own path. There is NO one size fits all diet, except for the one that doesn't work for most people that our gov't promotes.

Today: 3 items off plan - and one was candy when my Sugar dropped. The other 2 sneaks were a roll with lunch and 1 bite of potato chip tonight. So, not a bad day. Tomorrow I'm aiming for tighter control. I'm not beating myself up, but this reporting in to you guys is making me feel more accountable. Getting better. Even my sneaks are smaller in quantity.

TheMeIwant2be
03-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new here too and I really identify with everyone here. I just started this paleo WOE fairly recently, I'd say I'm about two weeks really into it. I'm not sure this is working for me yet as I haven't seen any definitive results. The first few weeks of anything that I've done over the last few years results in about a 5-10 lb weight loss. I gain that back after about six months, at which point, I'm desperately trying not to give up but losing hope and looking for something new.

I'm monitoring everything with the livestrong daily plate feature and trying to stay within a certain amount of calories. I listened to "Why We Get Fat" and Gary Taubes makes so much sense to me. I like the notion that people who have excess fat shouldn't be demonized and made to feel at fault. I really have tried all my life to lose weight, I struggled when I was 18 and I struggle now at 45. It makes sense to me that each time I tried to change my WOE from a very protein centered one to a grain centered one, I gained weight and after a while I couldn't lose it anymore.

I am doing this with caution because I'm not convinced that this is the way for me and it's tenets are very counter to conventional wisdom and what I've known to be "true". It's good to be able to read the experiences of others who are giving this a try as well.

Thanks everybody

souvenirdarling
03-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Add me to the list of new people :dance:

I had some success with calorie counting quite some time ago. Over the last two years my weight has gone up and down and success has been inconsistent. I've learned a lot about my body and self, namely that:

1) Dairy gives me acne. Wish I knew that at 19.

2) Bread and pasta, formerly a huge part of my diet, leaves me gassy :o and bloated.

While calorie counting, I learned that cutting them out made me feel a LOT better, even if i didn't lose weight! I've stuck to low dairy, but breads, not so much. I've gained ten pounds back.

Someone on this site made a reference to to Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint plan and I have to say it really matches a lot of what I've learned about myself.

I don't want to calorie count any more. Too much work and it makes me too obsessed. I'm not sure if I can really stick to counting grams of carbs daily, but I'm going to give it a solid shot through April :)

Honestly, right now, it seems like something I can stick to (and even get my man into as well. maybe. :devil: )

walking2lose
03-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the new folks!!

I'm doing ok, but unfortunately it's another rough week at work. I actually IF'ed today because I was simply too danged busy to eat. I had coffee and cream and coconut milk before work (yes, both cream and coc milk!). At lunch I was running between the computer lab, my classroom, and the copy room to make last minute copies. Every other day I have no planning time, and on my no planning day I teach 4 preps - STRESS!

I broke my fast at about 3:00 with a handful of almonds. Ugh.

30 minute walk, pork tenderloin and spinach for dinner, now off to grade some papers.

Come on, Spring Break!!!!

Hope everyone else is well and having a less stressful week than I am. Miss chatting and hope to get all caught up on the thread this weekend.

Arkansas Kel
03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome newcomers! I'm all about trying new things, and I hope this thing is the path is for you.

Today: Better. Off plan only with 2 choices :) Getting closer.... The two off plan items were breaded chicken strips and a moon pie - no, not together. The moon pie came about because I had a hypoglycemic episode, ate some fruit, but wasn't coming out of it fast enough. I may need to start keeping a little fruit juice for those moments. It seems, no matter what my diet if I don't eat a solid snack at 3pm I have a sugar crash. Makes ok sense, I'm usually busy, and I eat lunch around 11. I need to make myself have a SACRED 3PM snack time at work. IF sounds good until your hands shake. Lesson learned.....

Ilene
03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
:welcome: Newbies :dance: I love Newbies :hug:

Today was a good day although I had about 3 fruits... Made it to the gym but not running and tomorrow I work later so I can't even get to the gym or run, oh well, some weeks are better than others.

Kel, I find that when I IF and have eaten a lot of carbs I get the shakes but if I stick to very low carb I'm ok, we're all so different aren't we :shrug: ...

Well other than that not to darn much going on in my life, so TTFN :wave:

Natalia
03-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Hey everybody!!! Glad to see some new chicks as well :)

I am 100% back on track. Those darned croissants! Today was perfect, clean and serene. Picked up a few Atkins bars, made a dip. Oh, and tried a few new-to-me low carb recipes!!

Kale chips- well IMO they weren't as good as everyone said. Fragile. Green aftertaste. But that said, a very satisfying crunch ! I might make again.

Fauxtatoes- added butter, salt and sour cream. Very tasty. Will make again. Hub liked em too

Cauli rice- while the flavor was okay, these definitely were not fooling anyone. Pain to make. Will not make again.

Still haven't really started exercising yet, still in more than average pain- but did score a pain med script from my gastro...focusing more kn keeping the house clean and tidy, also purging a bunch of stuff, and dragging up bins of summer stuff to see what I'll need to get d for shorts etc
Put a bunch of c's stuff in his too- small bin, and moved the mitts, hats etc from the baskets to space bags to store. Also cleaned the clutter in the car &got a new extension cord. Tomorrow if I'm up to it will be vacuuming the car and armoralling it.

I'm glad spring has pretty much sprung and it came quicker this year. I usually find February dreadfully depressing ..but spring lends more to a positive mood and it's not a stretch now go think about having to wear shorts and baring more skin. I am tired of being self conscious and overweight!

Sounds like everyone else is having an on plan day, too!
Good job, ladies!!

quiddkidd06
03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
How much fat do you guys have in your day? Adding fat, to me, is just the scariest part because its so against "conventional diet wisdom." I guess I could just test it out and see how my body reacts? I'm just worried its gonna backfire or something!

This morning I had a nutrition appointment with my trainer... she took one look at the bacon, avocados, and red meat on my list and almost had a heart attack! She was shocked when I got on the scale and I'd lost weight. To be honest, though, I think that most of that weight loss came from BEFORE I started eating this way? What if the weight loss is happening in SPITE of this and not BECAUSE of it? Eeek. These are just all my insecurities... I think I just need to trust the process more because I've spent some time looking at Before/After pics on Mark's Daily Apple Forums and WOWWWWW.

@TheMeIWant2B I think the lack of the big "whoosh" at the beginning is one of the main reasons that all the primal/paleo sites tell you to lose the scale. I've been a little disappointed that I haven't seen the weight just "fall off," but I also see changes in my body/mood that I'm really excited about.

@Natalia Thanks for reviewing all the dishes I've been thinking about trying! I saw kale at the grocery store yesterday... picked it up and put it back down. Just didn't get inspired about the kale chips thing. Are fauxtatoes with cauliflower, too? Cauliflower rice, to me, seems sooo time consuming. And I don't have a food processor... yet. I didn't like rice before I gave up grains, though, either. But I think it would go well with some of the Indian and Middle Eastern flavored dishes I've been trying.

Ilene
03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
quidkidd, I usually have about 30-50% fat... don't be afraid of fat! I gain weight when I eat too many carbs...

Natalia, I didn't like kale chips either because of the green after taste...

My life is so ho hum lately :lol: nothing to report!

TheMeIwant2be
03-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I feel better about the whole thing because I weighed myself this morning and wouldn't you know it, I'm down 3 lbs. So happy about this and I have been eating lots of grass fed bacon, and lots of fat, so much more than ever before I think. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'm planning on a grass fed beef shepherds pie (with bacon) with a cauliflower top made with lots of pastured butter for dinner tonight.

Natalia
03-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi girls! Having a good day, just sipping on a homemade iced Capp with lots of cream! Mmmmmmm!

Themeiwannabe- shepherd's pie sounds awesome; what are you doing for the middle layer, green beans?? I used to put corn but now trying to avoid it due to all the starch.. Plus I like mine BBQ sauce based instead of tomato soup or gravy. I guess I could try Dana carpenters BBQ sauce recipe :)

Quidkidd: yes the fauxtatoes were easiest of all. Just cut half a head of cauli into bite size florets.. Steam til done. Pulse with chopper or processor , I added a squodge of butter, a scoop of sour cream and salt before pulsing. It might have been a teeny bit juicy so I would take more care to get out the extra liquid before pulsing next time. Would also be excellent with cream cheese, Parmesan, and chives! I wouldn't add hot milk though bc of the juicy factor.
If you don't have a processor maybe u could use an immersion blender?? You can get processors for under $40, or maybe just borrow your moms to try out a few recipes. Most people only use theirs once in a blue moon.
Mine is my moms old one after she got a cuisinart.. It's circa 1975 but hey it works ! And I don't use if enough to buy a new one.
Maybe try Kijiji?

saycindy
03-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Hello, glad I found this forum. My crossfit trainer introduced me to Paleo, Robb Wolf and Underground Wellness. I hightly recommend RobbWolf's book and site. I listen to his podcast too.

I have known for years that low or no carbs works. Started Paleo in August but have floundered for personal reasons. Stopped working out due to physical reason but...Got back on track to do Robb Wolf's 30 day challenge. Did ok but not 100%.

Last Friday I seen The Dukan Diet on GMA. The book comes out in the US in April after being all the rage in France then the UK. I learned the specifics on Marshall Brain's blog, How Stuff Works. He outlined the diet and his progression. It totally spoke to the Paleo lover in me. I need structure and strict rules in the beginning. It is a diet in 4 phases which eventually leads you back to carbs. I am personally not going to go back to carbs accept on occasion. After I make my goal weight I'll reevaluate my eating plan.

Started 1st phase which is all protein plus 1 1/2 tbls oat bran every day for 1-7 days. I am on day 5 and feel great, and lost 4 pounds (water) and plan on going on for 1 more day. I'll take the loss anyway I can. I drink over 3 liters of water a day and take fish oil.

Can't wait to check out all the information here!

souvenirdarling
03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Oooh, fauxtatoes are cauliflower!!!

I was reading some of your posts thinking "Surely they don't mean boxed crapola! That would be way high carb."

Mashed cauli sounds delicious!!!

Arkansas Kel
03-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Hey look at all the newbies! Welcome guys.

Yep, fauxtatoes rock - make them often, even when not dieting.

Today was one of those hard days that nail me now and then. Bkfst: leftover hunko pork steak, clementine, coffee ;) Lunch: Taco salad (work cafeteria FAVE) :) Snackage: One Granny Smith. Supper: Chicken strips. Later supper (cause I had that long of a day): some pizza. So only off plan twice. I'm going to stick to that level for a few and then bump it on down. Then I'll start on another quest with this. It's all good today. I had cakotunity (cake opportunity) and avoided. I had candy in my sights and turned away. The pizza could have been avoided probly, but I didn't finish my share - I WAS FULL. Nice. I'll just keep on keepin' on.

I'm svelting!
03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
I've done fauxtatoes with tzatziki (garlic & greek yogurt) ... UNBELIEVABLY YUMMY!

There's an interesting thread on Mark's Daily Apple forum, on those who aren't losing weight free-feeding on PB. started by Paleobird. It's an interesting read; she's worked out a way of eating that goes back to the Primal Blueprint book and is dropping body fat without hunger. Links to specific posts later; in the meantime here's the thread, Reality Check: Counting Calories (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580.html)

souvenirdarling
03-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Hmm. Her article made an important point - I also agree we can't just forget about the calories. I don't think that changing our bodies from carb-burners to fat-burners is the solution to everything, but I do think it's high up there.

In restricting carbs, I stop having cravings for higher-calorie foods with no nutritional value and therefore cut significant calories that way. A daily salad is also contributes to a much lower weekly calorie intake for me.

She said she IFs for 24hrs 3-4 times a week and has one glass of wine and one square of dark chocolate per week. Does that strike anyone else is deprivation?? That's not how I want to live.

I consider the fact that it may be hard for most people to be as "moderately active" and "constantly moving" as PB suggests, especially when you have a sit down job. I work at a cafe and walk around 7 hours a day a few days a week, I bike back and forth to work in the summers, I don't drive so I do a fair amount of walking. I always weigh less in the summer. It'll be hard to transition into a more sedentary career. :(

While her post was interesting, it doesn't seem like she's having success, that she prefers PB as a maintenance program. I don't know what i think of PB yet - (except for that it's delicious) and we'll see how my body feels in a few weeks.

I just did my groceries today. Had an anniversary (5 years!!!) dinner with BF last night. I knew that if I said no to potato, corn and my favourite hazelnut croissant, he'd feel terribly let down, so I had a few bites of each. My blue cheese rare steak REALLY hit the spot, though ;)

I discussed PB with him, and he's actually game. We'll see how it goes...

quiddkidd06
03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I didn't get through her whole thread, but did she ever find anything that works for her?

To me, she seems a little too stubborn. IFing 3 out of seven days of the week TOTALLY seems like deprivation. I'm not really sure that that's what Mark Sisson intended when he suggested IF... Unless she's eating about 1800 calories at each of her big meals, I'll bet that her body just doesn't want to let go of anything because it feels like it isn't getting enough!

quiddkidd06
03-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Also @souvenirdarling Hazlenut Crossaint? Shut. Up. :) That sounds so good. Congrats on the anniversary!

I'm svelting!
03-25-2011, 09:37 PM
While her post was interesting, it doesn't seem like she's having success, that she prefers PB as a maintenance program. I don't know what i think of PB yet - (except for that it's delicious) and we'll see how my body feels in a few weeks.
:welcome3: souvenirdarling and :congrat: on 5 years married!

The MDA member sets up some caveats -- who should consider this approach in this post, #385, (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580-20.html#post372779) and explains what she came up that works for her posted here, #393 in the same thread (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580-20.html#post373061). Essentially she realized that she couldn't free feed on fat; the fat was satisfying her before she got enough protein. Since that post 2 weeks ago, I think she's lost 5 lbs.

I do think the approach will work only for those of us who like to collect, enter and review data. Some of us are from the "nerds r us" gene pool and are empowered by having the data. I remember my father asking a dietician for carb and calorie guidelines to manage pre-diabetic blood sugar levels. (like father, like daughter I guess) She didn't give him any because too many of her clients found it too rigid, boring and/or intimidating. :shrug:

Any road, I've been balancing my macros and calories along the same lines to about 15% carbs, 40% protein, 45% fat. I think I'm in for a nice "showing" on the scale tomorrow morning. Time will tell though.

Arkansas Kel
03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
To all: I am against deprivation, obviously by my laisse a faire (sp?) compliance. If the girl in that thread's plan sounds like deprivation you must find a path you can live with and let her follow her own. (singing... you can go your own way!!!!!.......)

Today: Kept up my current average of 2 sneaks. Lunch choice was so skimpy. I had either salisbury steak (but was covered in bell peppers which I HATE) or breaded shrimp. I went with shrimp and salad - so sneak 1. MIL cooked supper - she's practicing cooking to reduce her intake of carbs some. She did good. Stir fry, and green beans on the side - plus biscuits. BISCUITS? Well, seemed odd, but was so hungry when we got there I ate 2 while I was waiting. ack. They weren't even good biscuits. And so cheat 2. Otherwise, all on plan. So it's been average.

paleoforlupus
03-25-2011, 11:18 PM
I started a blog to chronicle my journey on a paleo diet and how my lupus responds. I have started this for two reasons: one, to keep me accountable, and two, I hope it will give others tips and advice from me and from readers through comments. Most of all I hope this WOE heals me and offers others with autoimmune diseases some hope and inspiration.

You can follow me at paleoforlupus.blogspot.com

Thanks girls!

walking2lose
03-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow! Our thread has really grown!

I am SOOO glad it's Friday. I went out to dinner with my girlfriends, and now I am ready to get some good sleep.

Night ladies. Will be checking in and catching up this weekend.

TheMeIwant2be
03-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Natalia, I made my shepherds pie with little green zucchini and I used a bit of tomato paste. I think I could have used a little less fat and a little more coconut flour (of which I used none). Regardless, it was pretty good. This afternoon I had rutabaga latkes, yum.

Arkansas Kel
03-26-2011, 12:37 PM
OK, ThemeIwant2be: Rutabaga latkes - I'm in, what time do we eat? Sounds yummo.

Today I'm getting out da house with my BFF for some shopping therapy. Going to get food and more. Will do my very best to be a good grokgirl today!

souvenirdarling
03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
I think it's hard for me to eat more fats than protein, it's a huge mindset change.

TheMeIwant2be: Its funny, because your "lots of fat" post above actually made me cringe. Then I checked myself, laughed and thought about gettin' some bacon, too.

Svelting: I'm afraid I'm only as nerdy as loving my excel spreadsheet :) But I definitely think I should be reviewing my percentages.

kel: Mmm, retail therapy... I like.

saycindy
03-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Finished my Attack Phase of Dukan Diet. All protein for 1-7 days. I went 6 since I was able to stand it. I lost 6 pounds of water.

Today I am looking forward to vegetables at 3 meals. They tasted pretty good so far. In the 2nd phase called the Cruise Phase you eat 1 day all lean protein, 1 day lean protein and low carb vegetables. You stay on this phase until you lose all the weight you want.

Did some prep today for the week ahead. Got some nice spices from Penzeys to make homemade sausage and meatballs. I got 2 pounds of ground chuck and 1 pound of ground Buffalo from Whole Foods. I mix them together since I'm not a huge Buffalo eater, but it is sooo good for you. Mixed 1/2 with Breakfast Sausage seasoning and made into patties. Mixed the other 1/2 with Northwest seasoning for meatballs. Cooked in the oven for the week ahead and I may even freeze some. Going to cook a whole chicken in the crock pot tomorrow. Then I'll boil 6 eggs. I grilled chicken yesterday so we should be all set for a good week around here.

I decided to set up some rewards for myself like someone else here stated, what a great idea:
15 pounds-new jeans
25 pounds-North Face Jacket or fleece
40 pounds-a Keurig (have always wanted one)

paleoforlupus
03-26-2011, 10:27 PM
@saycindy All I can say is WOW!! You are so organized and prepared. The food sounds awesome. I think I could actually handle making meatballs but I'm most interested in the crockpot chicken...low or high temp and for how long? That would make some supper times so easy!

souvenirdarling
03-27-2011, 09:54 AM
I loved all the crockpot recipes at this blog, though some have too many sauces:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

When I'm gone all day, I would cook chicken or chicken stew for 8 -10 hours and love coming home to a made dinner. I recommend using boneless chicken.

saycindy
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
paleoforlupus-I know what leads to my own failure, not being prepared. I also know that my husband will steal all my food if I don't make enough good Paleo food. :nono: He came on board when he read the book Paleo for Athletics.

I just throw a chicken in the crock pot with 1/2 water or broth, some onions and garlic and cook on low 6-8 hours. I check after about 6 hours to see how it looks. If it falls off the bone, it's done. I take it out and pull out all the bones, super easy.

Today I am going to try and NOT eat as much. Maybe spread out my food or eat something every 3 hours. I still have to go to bed early so I don't want to snack. Someday!

walking2lose
03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi ladies,

I agree that planning is KEY! Cindy, I also do a crockpot chicken that is easy and divine. I buy the free range whole chicken from Trader Joe's. Rinse well, pat dry, place in crockpot. Then mix a dry rub -- it can be whatever you want. I put about a teaspoon or so each of paprika, garlic powder, little salt and pepper, some thyme - mix in a bowl. Rub the spices over the chicken -- do not add water or any oils. Put on low and go to work. Cook on low for 7-ish hours or high for 3-4 (did this a couple weeks ago after work).

Man, it is good.

Had scallops over bed of spinach, mushrooms, and onions last night. Cooked the scallops in coconut oil and shallots, added salt and pepper - perfect. Recipe from primal palate.

Today is a grading day. DH and I will probably do some yoga - it's yucky out, so I won't get to hike/walk.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

souvenirdarling
03-27-2011, 02:16 PM
You know, I have coconut oil in the house and haven't tried cooking with it yet. I'm under the impression it's a stable frying oil? Does everything end up tasting like coconut?

I'm feeling of perpetually hungry so far, and was wondering if you guys understood. I'm currently not eating any breads or grains if I can help it. The result is great in that when I avoid it entirely, I don't get those crippling cravings and downward spiral energy drops.

But I'm hungry now, and I've eaten a 3 egg omellette with ham, mushroom and spinach, 1/2package of raspberries and 2 bacon strips :( Maybe I'm just missing the "gluten lump" full feeling? Did any of you experience this?

Ilene
03-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Souvenir, yes I was constantly hungry when I started, I just ate more fat and protein... It eventually subsides... The coconut oil I have does not taste or smell like coconut oil, I had bought another kind and it left a coconut taste in everything...

Arkansas Kel
03-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Lazy lazy days..... OK, I am committing to a suck it up 7. None of my usual daily cheats for 7 days. Starts tomorrow (or now) as I've already had my cheats for today anyway (darned butterfinger). Anyone with me? Tighten down the diet for 7 days - your own way. I've not been obsessively primal/paleo, however, I have been sneaking some things about twice/day. 7 days loose primal/paleo for me without the sneaks. Anybody wanna make a suck it up 7 commitment of your own with me?

Will report back. I'm not dairy free or low carb to begin with - my cheats are usually a grain or sugar thing. But no more for this week - NO MORE!!!!

saycindy
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Personally I find I don't have cravings on this way of eating. What I do have is very bad habits that have to be broken. The need to feel full, eating in front of the tv and evening snacking (huge for me). I know it takes 3 weeks to break/change a habit. I drink a huge glass of water, have more protein, hop on the scale or go to bed. Last night was hard for me so I went to bed and woke up proud of myself.

I'm interested in the coconut oil myself. I have heard good things also. I was wondering where to buy it, how much is it and if everything tastes like coconut after being cooked in it??

Ilene
03-27-2011, 04:34 PM
This is the coconut oil I use it does not have a coconut taste I use it in everything...

http://www.omeganutrition.com/Images/Products/Medium/coconutOil-16oz-Medium.jpg

I'll go in on the 7 day challenge :wave:

I've not eaten any almonds for a whole week :dance:

I'm svelting!
03-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm feeling of perpetually hungry so far, and was wondering if you guys understood. I'm currently not eating any breads or grains if I can help it. The result is great in that when I avoid it entirely, I don't get those crippling cravings and downward spiral energy drops.

But I'm hungry now, and I've eaten a 3 egg omellette with ham, mushroom and spinach, 1/2package of raspberries and 2 bacon strips :( Maybe I'm just missing the "gluten lump" full feeling? Did any of you experience this?
I can't remember what you said about how you were eating before starting primal/paleo. If you were eating a lot of bread and grains, the transition can be eased by eating higher in Mark Sisson's carbohydrate curve -- 100 - 150 g carbohydrates with dairy, fruit, nuts and potatoes, yams, etc.

I did have the sensation of something missing when I stopped eating grain; I just filled the "hole" with more protein and a little bit of fat.

It's also very predictable for me that if I didn't sleep well or "short slept" at night, I get much hungrier the next day. Predictable like the sun coming up. Could that be a factor for you?

souvenirdarling
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Hmm. Nah, I think maybe it's the hole? I don't at all notice it when I get up and out for the day. Sundays are odd in their timing, so usually ravenous and make bad food choices around dinnertime. Today went fabulously well. My carb intake has always been mutable, but definitely on the higher end 2 weeks before my commitment.

Thankfully I'm sleeping well. I'm still a student (ugh) and man, those carb-redbull binge fueled cram sessions and project catch-ups never helped anyone. I'm a lot less stressed and better rested now then ever, which really helps a lot with all of life's problems:)

Thanks for the photo, Ilene!

I'm acually from Montreal, so I bought mine by Maison Orphee (http://www.maisonorphee.com/en) which does lots of organic yums.

Having just stuck my finger in the jar to taste, mine tastes slightly coconutty, buttery almost, but not sweet. maybe it being virgin is the difference (like how the extra virgin olive oil is greener?)

Ilene
03-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm acually from Montreal, so I bought mine by Maison Orphee (http://www.maisonorphee.com/en) which does lots of organic yums.

Cool, we live only an hour apart...I often go to Dorion, L'Ile Perrot, Pointe Claire for shopping! Maison Orphée looks like an awesome place...Where is it located I couldn't find an address on their site :shrug:

Serbrider
03-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey guys... I'm sorta new to this all. Not because I wanted to be paleo, but because I have a recently diagnosed gluten sensitivity and the doctor wants me to cut out practically all carbs... From grains... Or... Is that the only place carbs come from? I really don't know... But I'm trying to learn.

So... What all is it that you guys eat? The doctor that diagnosed me said he ate paleo, and that meant meat, fruit, vegetables, and nuts. I'm pretty much eating that, with a tiny bit (meaning literally like a tablespoon at the most of butter every other day) of dairy and I'm also eating legumes.

I "started" on Thursday, and have gone from 216.5 to 212.5 this morning. However, I'm going through carb withdrawal or something. Blech.

So... If y'all want to share links you can... But more of a "this is what I do and why" would be awesome for me. :)

souvenirdarling
03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
@Ilene: Maison Orphee products are sold at some major grocery chains like IGA, and at health food stores. I frequent 2 on Parc Ave in Mtl. My coconut oil I bought at at a health food store for 12$ :( Ouch!

You must have a lot of access to local meat sources if you come in from that end :D While eating on this plan I feel really conscious of all the meat I eat and wish I could be purchasing more free range varieties. I've considered buying Halal (Kosher is more expensive) because the animals, I believe, are slaughtered in a more humane way. Of course, buying grass-fed or free range meat requires me going way out of my way :( I think I'm going to make a summer project of it.

Hello Serbrider! I'm sure you're going to star feeling much better - by cutting out breads, pastas and dairy I am much less bloated and have better skin, and more consistent energy levels. (I noted I don't get 3pm "naptime" energyless feeling on my plan.) And I'm not gluten intolerant.

I work in a cafe and have discussed it with so many people. Sometimes unsurprising things, like teas, contain gluten, so you're probably going to have to really be aware of how you feel after meals. I've often considered that in my lifetime, most people will realise they have gluten and lactose sensitivity.

So far, I am pretty much just eating meat and vegetables. The vegetables are mostly the steamed green kind or salads. It's been 4 days so far. I feel great, I kind of miss desserts. I also find this way of eating is more expensive.

quiddkidd06
03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
@Serbrider I've been doing this for almost a month now, tightening up my diet as I go along and figuring out what works best for me.

From everything I've read about Paleo and Primal for weight loss, it seems like you have to just do what works for you. Technically, legumes aren't paleo. They aren't the best form of protein you can get because the ratio of carbs to protein is pretty high. Also, for some people eating too much fruit and nuts seems to stall. The fruit makes sense because its carby, but with the nuts I'm really not too sure why they cause the stall.

At first, I was eating some cheese and other dairy but now I've cut it out. I find that if I'm eating some, I want more. If I'm eating none, I don't crave it.

saycindy
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
@serbrider what they said plus, try and find some Paleo sites. I read Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution and I'm hooked. He also has a good website that has recently added a forum. One forum has great information on where to find some good recipes. Check that out or better yet try and get a hold of his book. There are other good informational books out there also.
It does take some getting use to but don't give up. The best thing for me in the beginning was the loss of cravings. It was such a relieve not to forage through the cupboards every night.

paleoforlupus
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
@serbrider - Mark Sisson's blog Marksdailyapple.com is an excellent resource. You can buy his book, The primal blueprint (which is awesome) but you can pretty much surmise everything that's in it through the blog. There are also great recipes. He isn't completely paleo though as he eats dairy. I've been paleo for 3 weeks today and I've been extremely strict about it. I started a blog to follow my progress and all the pitfalls/benefits that I encounter on a daily basis. At least you could see what you may experience 3 weeks ahead of time! The addy is: paleoforlupus.blogspot.com. Strict paleo includes: meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, veggies, nuts and fruit. No dairy, legumes, things like potatoes, yams, etc. I eat copious amounts of meat (not necessarily lean meats either - fat is good!), almond butter, salads, avocados and coconut oil.

Art De Vany's book "the new evolution diet" is also a great resource and the first book I read on the topic. Also, a must read is Loren Cordain's The Paleo diet.

Good luck, you won't regret it, so far it's about the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Ilene
03-28-2011, 04:53 PM
@Serbrider I did the Whole30 (http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/) in January, it's very strict but I loved it and felt really good... I only lost 4 lbs, I think I just ate too many macadamia nuts and almonds, I have to stay away from them or I just eat a ton of them :lol:

:welcome: to our neck of the woods you won't regret your decision to go lo-no-carb... I've been very lo carb for a little over a year now, boy time flies...

I had too many carbs yesterday and was up 3lbs... I'm doing good today though :D .... Tonight I'm running and going to the gym :strong: it's gonna me a good night...

walking2lose
03-28-2011, 07:39 PM
@Serbrider - did you take a look at the links I gave you on your other post? I asked, but I don't think you responded (I need to check the thread). I particularly thought you might like the recipe sites for ideas on a typical day AND the link on Carrie Sisson, as she is eats primal/pescatarian (no meat but fish) since you said you have been vegetarian.

Yesterday I had two meals with a snack of kale chips and a dessert of a couple tablespoons coconut milk with almonds. When I woke I had a cup of coffee with coconut milk. For breakfast (couple hours later) we had eggs (omega 3 farm eggs) and bacon (weekend treat) with sliced avocados and a couple cherry tomatoes. This was a late breakfast/brunch. For dinner with had grassfed beef burgers topped with sauteed onions and mushrooms and sauteed cabbage (a huge portion). I had a couple spears leftover asparagus too with dinner. This was a fairly typical day.

I obviously eat meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and nuts (I don't overdo it on either).

***Also, click on my link on my signature for more on what primal means to me and why I like it. I also have some links there. Ignore the naysayers. Until they have tried this WOE for themselves, I don't think they have authority to judge. I have found that some people are very resistant to new information and change.

@all -- pretty good day, but I want to get to bed early. It's the last week before break so LOTS of crunching and stressing. All the kids who have not turned in work all quarter are now freaking out and wanting to stay after to get "caught up." If only they would do the work the first time around.

Had a leftover burger and cabbage for lunch with yummy Trader Joe's organic pickle on the side (love those). My husband is out tonight, so I think I'm going to have a BAS with hardboiled eggs, avocado, and whatever else I've got.

I'm wanting to go for a little walk, so I'm going to get going.

Hope everyone had a healthy day!

Serbrider
03-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Hello Serbrider! I'm sure you're going to star feeling much better - by cutting out breads, pastas and dairy I am much less bloated and have better skin, and more consistent energy levels. (I noted I don't get 3pm "naptime" energyless feeling on my plan.) And I'm not gluten intolerant.

I work in a cafe and have discussed it with so many people. Sometimes unsurprising things, like teas, contain gluten, so you're probably going to have to really be aware of how you feel after meals. I've often considered that in my lifetime, most people will realise they have gluten and lactose sensitivity.

So far, I am pretty much just eating meat and vegetables. The vegetables are mostly the steamed green kind or salads. It's been 4 days so far. I feel great, I kind of miss desserts. I also find this way of eating is more expensive.

Thanks! Right now I'm still having some dairy... but like I said... very little... a tiny bit of butter here or there... and I had some sour cream mixed with salsa today to make a chip dip. I don't know if I'm going to do purely Paleo right now... but I am trying to eat far more vegetables than anything else... I'm just... I dunno. Eating far less. I haven't counted calories these past fews days... but from going back over all I've eaten, I'm probably actually around 1000... I'm just not as hungry. Which is nice. I still feel icky... but hoping that'll go away soon.

@Serbrider I've been doing this for almost a month now, tightening up my diet as I go along and figuring out what works best for me.

From everything I've read about Paleo and Primal for weight loss, it seems like you have to just do what works for you. Technically, legumes aren't paleo. They aren't the best form of protein you can get because the ratio of carbs to protein is pretty high. Also, for some people eating too much fruit and nuts seems to stall. The fruit makes sense because its carby, but with the nuts I'm really not too sure why they cause the stall.

At first, I was eating some cheese and other dairy but now I've cut it out. I find that if I'm eating some, I want more. If I'm eating none, I don't crave it.

I'm not having that problem with dairy... I've always had less dairy and meat than anybody else in my family... so I'm going to keep them in my diet (for now), and see how it goes. I'm going to keep having legumes right now... even though like you said, aren't the best form of protein... just because I need to keep at least one or two things that I love with me for now... and I like my beans... :p I don't mind greens and vegetables... but meat... blech. The moment I'm living on my own I'm cutting them out again. I know they're a good source of protein... I just... don't like 'em. :)

So far I haven't had many nuts or even fruit... unless you count stuff like fruit and fruit product inside of stuff (like banana pancakes with coconut and almond flour... but even that... not a lot of it). I mean... honestly... I haven't had much salad either.... I'm not quite sure exactly what I am eating much of... :?: I'll have to just track it tomorrow... just to see.

@serbrider what they said plus, try and find some Paleo sites. I read Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution and I'm hooked. He also has a good website that has recently added a forum. One forum has great information on where to find some good recipes. Check that out or better yet try and get a hold of his book. There are other good informational books out there also.
It does take some getting use to but don't give up. The best thing for me in the beginning was the loss of cravings. It was such a relieve not to forage through the cupboards every night.

There are a few links that I have bookmarked (Thanks walking2lose!). I haven't yet had a chance to read them (school and work from 7 AM to 6 PM... and then homework, rest, and sleep... not a ton of time for a bunch of other things), but once I have time (Thursday or Friday), I definitely will.
I do still have cravings... but mostly for my special chocolate I bought (it's not paleo due to dairy content... but with only 5 ingredients... no gluten, even trace amounts, it's my single "unhealthy" thing). BUT... I froze it, and instead of having an entire bar like I used to... I now have only a total of 3-6 squares... depending. So... that's good. :) I do crave breads... but I know I can't have them. It was torture at work on Saturday, because I work in the mornings, and they always buy us breakfast... usually either bagels... or what it was that day: Kolaches and Donuts. I would walk by the boxes and practically moan... :o BUT... I got through the day without doing more than opening the box and staring wistfully twice... :p

@serbrider - Mark Sisson's blog Marksdailyapple.com is an excellent resource. You can buy his book, The primal blueprint (which is awesome) but you can pretty much surmise everything that's in it through the blog. There are also great recipes. He isn't completely paleo though as he eats dairy. I've been paleo for 3 weeks today and I've been extremely strict about it. I started a blog to follow my progress and all the pitfalls/benefits that I encounter on a daily basis. At least you could see what you may experience 3 weeks ahead of time! The addy is: paleoforlupus.blogspot.com. Strict paleo includes: meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, veggies, nuts and fruit. No dairy, legumes, things like potatoes, yams, etc. I eat copious amounts of meat (not necessarily lean meats either - fat is good!), almond butter, salads, avocados and coconut oil.

Art De Vany's book "the new evolution diet" is also a great resource and the first book I read on the topic. Also, a must read is Loren Cordain's The Paleo diet.

Good luck, you won't regret it, so far it's about the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Thanks! I'm not in the market to buy any books (I actually need to go through the ones I already have to decide which to take with me to college and which to leave at grandparents' house...)... but I'll see if any of those you suggested are at the local library. I never was a huge fan of meat... but since everything can be personalized... I think I'll stick with what I have now... and personalize it as life goes on. Thanks for the info and the links to blogs! I'll definitely bookmark them and check them out when I have time!

@Serbrider I did the Whole30 (http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/) in January, it's very strict but I loved it and felt really good... I only lost 4 lbs, I think I just ate too many macadamia nuts and almonds, I have to stay away from them or I just eat a ton of them :lol:

:welcome: to our neck of the woods you won't regret your decision to go lo-no-carb... I've been very lo carb for a little over a year now, boy time flies...

I had too many carbs yesterday and was up 3lbs... I'm doing good today though :D .... Tonight I'm running and going to the gym :strong: it's gonna me a good night...

I don't know if I'm really all that lo carb (after being on the Atkins for over a year at the age of 10/11... I've had this major mental thing against it... not that I didn't lose weight... but I've never appreciated anything I was forced to do against my will)... and I'm not counting carbs at all... more like avoiding grains and eating less of higher carb items like potatoes, legumes, dairy, etc. I'm trying to change my mindset... but it's been there for 8 years... so... yeah. Thanks so much for the personal testimony and all... I really appreciate it. :D

@Serbrider - did you take a look at the links I gave you on your other post? I asked, but I don't think you responded (I need to check the thread). I particularly thought you might like the recipe sites for ideas on a typical day AND the link on Carrie Sisson, as she is eats primal/pescatarian (no meat but fish) since you said you have been vegetarian.

I obviously eat meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and nuts (I don't overdo it on either).

***Also, click on my link on my signature for more on what primal means to me and why I like it. I also have some links there. Ignore the naysayers. Until they have tried this WOE for themselves, I don't think they have authority to judge. I have found that some people are very resistant to new information and change.

Like I said above... I looked at the links... and have bookmarked them... but haven't really had much time to sit down and really peruse them. I thought that Carrie was very cool... and I don't know yet how I'll do it... might just cut out all red meat... not sure. Just taking it one day at a time.

Thanks so much for all of the links, all of the information, etc. I really appreciate it! :D

Arkansas Kel
03-29-2011, 01:04 AM
serbrider: all good advice. I did the whole 30 thing too, but slid off more and more. I found it too restrictive for a starting place for me - for others, just fine. We avoid legumes, grains, sugar. We do eat meat, fruit, veg, nuts and seeds (no peanuts), and sparingly honey, real maple syrup and an occasional sprinkle of splenda (very infrequent use of any sweetener - natural or not). I was allowing some room for a breaded meat or a few bites of sweets, but I am actively working on eliminating that. I can't report much as far as weight loss, because of a med I'm on I was in a ravenous weight rocketing up situation, which halted sharply when I went primal.

Today: my suck it up 7 is going well. No cheats to report, and there were opportunities. Bkfst: boston butt smoked hunk, egg omelet with cheese, fried sweet potato, coffee. Lunch: BAS (Big A Salad) with loads of veg, a little ranch, and a pork chop on the side. Supper: on the road, hardees low carb burger, couple fries. Snacks: hot tea, almonds, few extra bites of random meats. I know the fries are not allowable in pure primal, but I've stopped forbidding potato if I don't go too far, and it was a small amount both times. But no grains and no obvious sugars - so I call it success! Now, day 2 - bring it ON!

souvenirdarling
03-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm glad to hear it's going well, Arkansas Kel! I have to say, I was afraid to commit to a suck it up 7 :D LOL - is it still a cheat if I'm still under my alotted carbs, calories, etc? Who am I kidding - I'm trying hard not to eat any grains or obvious sugars either :) And so far, so good.

I have to say, though, I miss dessert the most :( A lot. I have no cravings, but I was so disappointed that the grocery store is out of raspberries.

souvenirdarling
03-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Okay, so I just fried up a tomato mushroom 6 egg omelette using my virgin coconut oil.

Well, it tastes coconutty. Not bad, just different - strange in an omelette? Edible. Even tasty

As it melted in the pan, my mouth watered. How can you guys eat this stuff without craving sweets after???

Ilene
03-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Okay, so I just fried up a tomato mushroom 6 egg omelette using my virgin coconut oil.

Well, it tastes coconutty. Not bad, just different - strange in an omelette? Edible. Even tasty

As it melted in the pan, my mouth watered. How can you guys eat this stuff without craving sweets after???Maybe try finding a coconut oil that doesn`t have the coconut taste, it'll eliminate your cravings... I wouldn't eat it if it gave me cravings...

quiddkidd06
03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
My coconut oil doesn't seem to taste like coconut at all. The brand is Spectrum. I kind of wish mine DID have more of a coconutty taste...

Arkansas Kel
03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Suck it up 7 - so far so good. Am getting tired of salads. Everytime I don't have much choice on my meal I end up with a salad and it always seems to be iceberg lettuce salads. :*( Today: Bkfst: mango, smoked pork boston butt, eggs fried in ghee, little bit sweet potato, lot of coffee :) lunch: pale salad (iceberg) loaded with primal veg at the salad bar plus ranch, pineapple, cheese cubes, unsweet tea. Snack: grapes. 2nd snack: lara bar when sugar bottomed out helping decorate for a party tomorrow. Supper: BBQ restaurant - bbq salad, unsweet tea. Just now ate a couple cashews. And later hot tea. Right now I'm quite full. Am tiring of salads though. Here's hoping tomorrow has better options!

I use spectrum coconut oil. Has a faint coconut taste to me, but doesn't overpower most foods I've tried to cook in it. Sometimes I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with another fat if what I'm cooking is really mild flavored and I'm worried about the coconut flavor.

souvenirdarling: Dessert - if u eat bananas I would recommend caveman custard - it's mild sweet, but the only sweet is banana. Will double post to include recipe done my way.

Arkansas Kel
03-29-2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/06/caveman-custard/

This is the link for CAVEMAN CUSTARD. I add vanilla and nutmeg also. DH gave it 2 clubs up!

Another dessert suggestion - smash up bananas and freeze in popsicle molds - u don't have to add anything but vanilla is good in it. Tastes like banana pudding pops. Just smash, freeze, and eat!

walking2lose
03-29-2011, 09:46 PM
13 hour work day. Struggling for energy to make something to eat (no interest in cooking the thawed ground venison in my fridge).

Decided to go meatless -- sauteeing kale in coconut oil AND bacon drippings (my coconut oil has a mild taste, but I cook eggs in bacon drippings or Kerrygold butter). Will top with canned garden tomatoes, avocado, and a couple of fried eggs.

Starving!!

Ilene
03-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Today was a hungry day for me, ugh, I hate those days... They happen a lot when I fall off plan on the weekend. I ended up eating a lot of fruit, blueberries, 2 oranges, 1 small banana, dried apricots and strawberries... The lesson is that the more fruits I eat the more I want ... will do better tomorrow... I did good the rest of the day though...

souvenirdarling
03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I feel you, Ilene. I'm sure dried apricots are crazy-carby :) I had some strawberries and blueberries yesterday, and realised blueberries were significantly lower (and I enjoy them more.)

I went to the gym yesterday :carrot: but also made some bad food choices. :frypan: Honey is bad, bad, bad.

I weighed in this morning with a loss, so I'm surprised and encouraged. Part of me thinks it's all just water loss, but there is still a slight amount of salt in my diet, so I don't know... I'll take it anyway.

Do you guys go to the gym? I realised afterwards that my target 'fat burning' heart rate, 55 - 75%, is actually MUCH lower than I thought.

Ilene
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Do you guys go to the gym? I realised afterwards that my target 'fat burning' heart rate, 55 - 75%, is actually MUCH lower than I thought.
:wave: Yes, I'm a gym rat, have been for 26 years now :faint: ... I go 3-4x/week and I run 3x/week also... I don't go by what the machines tell me I just do what feels good to me and when I do the machines I enjoy doing intervals ... I usually run outside anyways ...

souvenirdarling
03-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Haha, I should have been able to tell from your signature!!!

walking2lose
03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Haha! Ilene puts me to shame! Go girl!

walking2lose
03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Today was a hungry day for me, ugh, I hate those days... They happen a lot when I fall off plan on the weekend. I ended up eating a lot of fruit, blueberries, 2 oranges, 1 small banana, dried apricots and strawberries... The lesson is that the more fruits I eat the more I want ... will do better tomorrow... I did good the rest of the day though...

Glad you are back on track! We all eat too much fruit at times, and yes, it is sugary, isn't it? Great dessert though :)

Same story different day... and the theme is I need more sleep! I'm finishing a letter of recommendation for a student and then hitting the hay.

I vow to get my sleep in a healthier pattern over spring break... 2 more days - woot! :carrot:

Hope everyone had a healthy day!

uscarchie
03-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Hey everyone! I'm introducing myself here, because I'm going to do a Whole30 starting tomorrow and Claire said this was a good resource for me. :)

I'll start my own thread tomorrow to post my starting stats and use it as a bit of a journal and to keep me up to date.

But here's a little bit about me- I am a beacher who's had good success on that, so I know low-carb diets work for me. My name is Sandy, I've been on the weight loss rollercoaster for as long as I can remember. I'm ready to be in onederland!

I've always wanted to try Paleo and I've been listening to the Robb Wolf podcasts. I'm ready to do my Whole 30 and I can't wait to extend it to a Whole 60, 90, 120... :) But one month at a time, eh? :) One day at a time.

I've already done my grocery shopping, I've kind of already started, but the official start is tomorrow. :)

Thank goodness for 3Fatchicks forum- everyone here is such a great resource.

souvenirdarling
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I always find grocery shopping so exciting when i start a new eating plan.

Welcome, uscarchie :) I've known many who've had a lot of success with South Beach.

How are Robb's podcasts? I'm interested in getting some interesting, informative podcasts. Might as well learn while in public transit :)

Have a great spring break, Claire.Funny, everyone's already had them, here!

uscarchie
03-31-2011, 05:06 PM
I think the podcasts are very interesting- with a little bit of humor. I like listening to them when I go for long runs. :)

Ilene
03-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Welcome Sandy :wave:

I'd like to do a partial W30... I have a wedding reception where I really want to enjoy myself and have wine but that's it really for the month of April... Oh and maybe Easter but I really don't want to eat chocolate, it just throws me over the edge...

The 7 day challenge I'm doing presently is going well too :D

Today has been a good food day and I'll be going running in about 45 minutes...

uscarchie
03-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Any and all who want to join the more the merrier. April's a great month because it's just before summer, it's a perfect 30 days, and Easter's all about eggs, right? The chocolate's just a distraction.

I will post my stats tomorrow and we'll start a thread going- we'll see what happens 30 days from now. What's cool is that May 1st I'm running a half marathon- so this Whole30 is going to be huge for me. I'm going to be a little leaner, a little faster, and a whole lot healthier. Granted, I run like a penguin, but I always finish!

walking2lose
03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi all -- Sounds great, Sandy and Ilene! I am going to finish my heavy whipping cream which I've been having in coffee and enjoy my wine on my spring break get a way, so I will officially start Wed (we'll be gone Sun - Tue night). I'll join your thread then, Sandy. Good luck tomorrow!

I listen to Robb on my long walks when I walk alone (without my exercise bud or my DH). I have learned SO much! I have made the mistake to listen to them somewhat out of order - doesn't matter as far as content, but I don't know where I am. I'd say I've listened to 40 of them or so. Good stuff, and yes, he and Andy are nerdy but in a funny way. Love when Robb cusses... oops!

Souvenir - where are you? I'm in Virginia and so in need of break it's not even funny. It's been a ROUGH year, to the point where I'm considering a career change (and I'm a 15 year veteran and last year's teacher of the year). Things are changing in education, and it's SO stressful. It is so unhealthy! I do love it though, but man, I need a BREAK.

Going to wind down.

Have a great night, ladies (still miss Bob and our other Sandy... and Miki)

Arkansas Kel
03-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Welcome Uscarchie - I'm not going in on a whole30 but I sure wish u luck with it!

My own suckitup 7 is groking along well. One of the cafeteria ladies has noticed my selections and finally said "ARE YOU DIETING OR SOMETHING???" Um, no, not really. Told her I'm just bein' healthy. She gave me that look we've all seen - you know, like you just sprouted a hand out your forehead!

Today: Bkfst: pork, small cheese omelet, 1/2 banana, small amount sweet potato, hot sauce. Lunch: taco salad - I LOVE TACO SALAD DAY - and I was brave and skipped the chips and shell options. Afternoon: Lara bar, banana, almonds. Supper: veggies with chicken, cheese, unsweet tea. Snack: decaf coffee, apple, almond butter (my favorite thing with apples!).

Missed posting yesterday - but I did count 11 servings fruit/veg yesterday! I am having a lot of munchies, and I'm just letting them run their course with grok munching.

souvenirdarling
04-01-2011, 10:35 AM
My personal 'suck it up!' has not been going all that well.

Yesterday I had an almost perfect day! Perfect until late in the evening, some friends decided to go to a coffee shop and I had a donut. It didn't ruin my whole day though. Donuts are also not my usual thing.

There were plans to go out tonight, but I'm not feeling top shape this morning, and I don't think 1$ beers tonight will help O.o

paleoforlupus
04-01-2011, 04:44 PM

As it melted in the pan, my mouth watered. How can you guys eat this stuff without craving sweets after???

I use Nutiva brand coconut oil and it too tastes a little coconut-y but I enjoy that flavour with a lot of the recipes I use. I despise coconut flavoured eggs - yuck! When it comes to my eggs (which I eat everyday), I keep my rendered bacon fat and use that as my oil. It makes the eggs taste sooooo delicious!!!

Arkansas Kel
04-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Suck it up 7 had it's first backslide last night. I ate 3 small (about 2x2) pieces of thin crust pizza at our usual Friday night dinner date. :( Oh well, resuming. Maybe the Friday nights should be exclusions.... maybe, maybe not.

Hey, isn't it time to start the april thread? I'm not whole30'ing so I need some folks hanging with me too! I'm not sure how to do it, if nobody starts one I'll give it a go.

Today's plan: bkfst was pork, mango, almonds, hot tea. Lunch: catfish (already ate it). Just fish. It was all I wanted. It had a little cornmeal on it, but not much. I didn't cook it. Supper: Going to test some curry recipe I'll search for soon. Got pork thawing for it. Side note: I'm going to throw a chicking in the pot for later - going to try throwing it in FROZEN! I love playing with stuff in the kitchen.

Heniko
05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Back when Atkins first came out, I *switched* to all the low carb breads that were coming on the market, but I didn't actually ever do the diet. I was younger then and not fat. But probably still higher BMI then I should have been. I just went with the fad LOL! Years later, having children and being finally diagnosed with PCOS I started thinking about changing my habits. I stumbled upon Mark's Daily Apple while googling something totally different ... I started reading ... since my doctor did tell me to cut back on bread ... but didn't actually ever say stop eating carbs or even do a low carb diet ... cos well here where I live people mainly live on carbs and fat LOL!

I started changing things around ... applying the Primal ways to my life in Feb 2011. I'm a work in progress but I can honestly i'm about 75/25 now! I've lost 31lbs so far (still more to go!) ... when I intially started I did have the 'carb flu' for about week. Then it went away ... I kept it up until there was a death in my family. I fell of the wagon :( but did manage to get back on easily without carb flu or cravings! I havn't looked or even thought about bread or pasta which were my weaknesses.

I find it's really doable I think. but as many have mentioned on here you need to start looking at it as not a DIET! But a lifestyle change! If you view it like this then you can mentally except and sustain the change. I mean there are so many ppl out there who delete certains foods even whole food groups due to personal views (vegans, vegatarians) and also due to illness (gluten free, candida, diabetes) so I don't see why people are quick to attack people living the low carb lifestyle ... it being Atkins or Primal/Paleo ...

My parents and grandparents grew up on a high(er) fat diet eating all natural REAL FOOD that was homemade with local ingredients that we knew and could pronounce ... but they did not consume much sugar either. Grains yes I have to say, but sugar no. they don't/ didn't die or have any heart disease ... in fact my grandfather is 98 years old ... he doesn't do any sport or excercise training ... he works only in the garden and walks alot! Yet he is fitter then most 25year olds I know!

For me thou, even as a child I had a natural adversion to fat. I always cut it off the meat and never liked butter, mayo, oil etc. And then in school the idea of fat being BAD was only furthered. In adulthood, I only low fat products ... not once reading labels or questioning what these unprounounable "stuff" was. My weight went up and up ... and BTW I also drank Pepsi by the liter! Then thinking I was being smart switched to DIE-T LOL!

Only when i was diagnosed did I start to question WHAT I was doing and eating ...

Now I say my tests are looking better ... I'm not on any meds, TOM comes naturally (while before since teen yrs it didn't) blood sugar level normal, energy higher and not to mention my mood!

And finally I agree with SilentPost ... REASEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!!

Michelle Grey
02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Was there another thread started? I am New and this thread was very interesting:(

midwife
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Welcome, Michelle!
Check here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/248299-committed-paleo-primal.html

Michelle Grey
02-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Midwife:)

Joannavan
02-22-2012, 10:59 PM
You know, I have coconut oil in the house and haven't tried cooking with it yet. I'm under the impression it's a stable frying oil? Does everything end up tasting like coconut?

I like to have something a little sweet with dark chocolate like a paleo brownie and these might help you take off the edge. I love coconut oil and also coconut milk (the kind in the tin).