General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Thumbs down Stay away from H&R Block!!

Or at the very least, watch them carefully!!

My hubs and I get our taxes done at H&R every year for the past 3, and I've used them two years before getting married, so granted this is the first mistake they made with us, but its huge and they won't fix it!!
We are getting a refund (sometime in the near future), and opted for the direct deposit as we had done last year.

Our tax person, Jan, seemed careful enough, but didn't have me double check her work when putting our banking info into the system. Truth be told, in the last 5 years of using them, they have NEVER had me or my DH take a second look at our info, so it didn't occur to me to make sure the routing number and account numbers were right.

Lo and behold 18 days later, no refund and we are asking questions. Turns out Jan had messed up the banking numbers and missed one number in the account and now our refund is out there somewhere in limbo, between the bank and IRS.

Okay...H&R Block gaurentees their work right? Nope. They wouldn't do jack for us, other than refund the $41 dollars we paid for our taxes to be done. (had the simple ez version done so state or federal was free.) The manager wouldn't offer any other solution, and blamed our bank!! The IRS and bank told us to get H&R Block to fix this, but they won't budge and even calling their help center didn't do squat!!

We may get our refund in 1 to 2 months from now, and no one cares!!

So hear is this advice from someone who has been burned, and will NEVER go back unless they fix this situation. Either avoid them like the plauge, or double check EVERYTHING!! I know I will. I'll never make this mistake again!!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Report it to your state's Better Business Bureau and they'll probably fix it in a week.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I tend not to trust companies that set up in vacant shops and then disappear when tax season is over.

Hope they are able to sort it out soon.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

We used HR Block twice, and got screwed both times! I will never, ever use them again!! I had a tax issue, and they said they would look over the papers and help me find out what went wrong. I thought we'd sit down together, but they told me to just leave my stuff. Got a call a week later, stating everything was finished and fixed. Took it home without looking at it first, they never even looked at it! I mean, I don't think they ever even took it out of the envelope! Never again!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

We owe $1,000.00 because H&R Block messed up a number 2 years ago.My husband normally does our taxes,but that year we had some extras and he didn't want to mess it up.He went there this year to see what had happened and see if they step up and pay anything,since it was their mistake.They will pay the fines and something else,but we're stuck paying the rest.The killer was,they then had the nerve to ask my husband if he wanted them to do his taxes!!
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #6  

Cool

If you are filing EZ forms, you can easily do your own. If you don't want to e-file, download and print the forms and instructions. No need to use a tax preparer. If you make an error, the IRS or your State Tax Board will let you know and you can correct it. Last year I overpaid taxes because I didn't know about the Making Work Pay Credit. The IRS sent me a check for the overpayment within a few weeks. I once made a routing number mistake and the State Tax Board sent me a check, saying the routing number was invalid. The IRS should do the same. As for H&R Block, unless you can produce evidence that you gave them the correct number and they put it in wrong, I don't think you can recover any damages. I hope you get your refund soon.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

My mom had issues with the local H&R block guy making a major mistake that cost her in the $2k range. He then intentionally destroyed the evidence. He's currently in federal prison for tax fraud (unrelated case)... quality employee right there.

We now both use a small, independent local accountant who is more expensive - but also much better, honest, hardworking and with an excellent reputation for a reason. Worth the extra money.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire9 View Post
As for H&R Block, unless you can produce evidence that you gave them the correct number and they put it in wrong, I don't think you can recover any damages. I hope you get your refund soon.
I have the paperwork with the error. The tax lady put all the info in and printed it out. Even with proof, we can't get them to help us out.

Sorry to everyone else who has had issues with this crap company. Next time, no matter who we use, we will double check EVERYTHING!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote