Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 241/239/130

Height: 5'0"

Default Need crowd-pleasing recipe

Hi all,

I am going to a pot-luck bridal shower but I want to stay faithful to my eating program as much as possible. The shower is on Saturday. I was planning on making something delicious and off-plan... but then I realized I should really try to make something that will be delicious and help me as well.

What are all of your best, most crowd-pleasing low-carb appetizers (or even entree or dessert) recipes?

My palate is changing and I enjoy low-carb eating. I am not sure if other people will like what I now like. So, I figured you all are experienced serving meals to people who aren't on low carb diets and may be able to help!

Thanks in advance!! I really appreciate any input!

(Note: I own both Dana Carpenter 500 low carb recipe books, so you can also just point me to a page number there)
laueliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #2  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

I don't have an exact recipe, but here's an idea:

Brown up some ground turkey (3/4 lb-ish) with a little bit of minced onion and garlic. Add a pinch of dried oregano or some fresh thyme. Drain well. Thaw and squeeze out a box of frozen chopped spinach, getting it as dry as you possibly can. Stir it into the ground turkey. If you want, stir in a couple of tablespoons of sour cream for richness.

Stuff mixture into some crimini mushroom caps with the stems removed. (If you like you can chop up the stems and cook them with the turkey.) If you are making an entree instead of an app, stuff the mixture into 4 portbello mushroom caps instead.

Sprinkle the tops with grated asiago or parmasan cheese, and bake on 375 until the cheese is golden.

I've made these with lots of different fillings, but the turkey and spinach is nice for crowds because it is both low-carb and it is not too high in fat. I have also made it with crumbled veggie sausage.
It won't even occur to anyone that this is low carb.

Hope you have a great time!
dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #3  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I would stay awayfrom the desserts as a low carb dessert is unlikely to fool anyone

How about something like meatballs, with sauce on the side? Or bacon wrapped baby smokies?

Taco dip is nice (sour cream/ cream cheese on bottom, followed by cooked hamburger with taco seasoning, and then finely chopped green onion and bell pepper, and olives if desired, and then shredded cheese, serve with a spoon and scoop tortilla chips.. You could eat yours with a fork.

Caesar salad? Pick out the croutons. Or even a crudite platter with low carb dip.
Chicken salad with mini croissants? You could just have a scoop of chicken salad.

I have never heard of a potluck shower.. I thought that was the hostess' job??!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 241/239/130

Height: 5'0"

Thanks for your contributions I will look into these!

And yeah, I have never been to a pot-luck bridal shower either. I have co-hosted a bridal shower before, though, and it wasn't a pot-luck Oh well, it should be fun anyway!
laueliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #5  
Winning!

S/C/G: 287.8/276.6/142

Height: 5'3.5"

You could make a deli platter with meats, and cheeses + provide crackers for the people not on your diet. A veggie tray is always good too, or what pot-luck doesn't have deviled eggs? lol
drinkypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

1. Mix together cream cheese, a little minced onion, minced pimiento stuffed green olive & a splash of worsestershire sauce. Spread this on thin sliced ham & roll up. Cut into 2" pieces.

2. LC Antipasto - mix bite size pieces of ham, pepperoni, salami, mozerella, mushrooms, pepperoncini, olives, & any LC veggie you would like with Olive Oil & Vinegar. Season with garlic to taste.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

My mom does an asian ground pork dish that you eat in lettuce leaves that could easily be adapted to low carb - people love it!

Brown some ground pork (can substitute any ground meat)

Add some fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, mint and cilantro to taste. Add chili sauce (careful a lot of them have sugar). She normally finishes with shredded coconut (you couldnt find unsweetened) and crushed peanuts.

its REALLY good.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Here is my favorite - Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 16oz containers of cream cheese
3/4 cup hot sauce
1 cup ranch dressing
a large can canned chicken
1 cup shredded cheese

Soften cream cheese - add hot sauce
Add additional ingredients and spread into a 9 x 13 pan

Bake for 30 mint.

Serve with tortilla chips for the shower and just bring a small bag of pork rinds for yourself. I have taken this to parties and it I never bring any home - it is awesome.
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

make a low carb cheese cake ... no one will ever know (except the crust will be missing lol).
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #10  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I'd go with a 7 layer salad--I love mayo. I've used the splenda-mixed stuff in lieu of regular sugar, and I couldn't tell the difference.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #11  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Heroin chicken wings with bleu cheese dressing as a dip! Make at least three pounds - they're addictive.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote