Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 11:23 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 50 year olds #202

G'day all,

Loved the photo's Karen , hope you are feeling better!

New thread and I cannot remember the previous posts other than the website of the baby!! and of course Slavika's story of the school concert. I always remember going to a school concert when my children were little, one of the little girls in the choir and who was right up the front had an itch in a rather private place, it didn't bother her and she just scratched to her heart's content, the poor mother was mortified

I have had a very trying morning. Yesterday I was called by an agency for a job in call centre selling mobile (or 'cell' as you call them )phones and all the paraphernalia that goes with them. The pay is excellent and whilst it is NOT what I want to do, I thought what the heck and gave it a go.
I had to be there at 8.30 and got out of the assessment at 1pm Talk about being put throught the wringer! There were a number of tests, an interview one on one, an interview with a panel, a psychology test, a role play and a group excercise. There were 8 people going for the job.
I know I have said in previous posts that role plays don't bother me but this was different. I was given 10 minutes to read about some new features on this mobile and then had to 'ring' an existing customer to try and sell them these features! It was the pits!
Once I get through this (phone interview was the first stage, today was the second) then you go on to the third stage, yet another interview! I definetly will NOT be accepting this job if I was to be successful.
DH has had quite a successful time in Sydney and for the moment his job is quite secure again. India is back on the agenda but as of yesterday he was told that he has been 'earmarked' to do a 3-4 month project in New Zealand. We should know something definite early January. I won't hold my breath
New Zealand would be quite nice other than the town where we will be is small, a population of 100 000, industry is mainly agriculture or IT. I cannot see myself getting a job in the agricultural industry

So there you have it, I feel exhausted after this morning. I'll go and make a nice fresh fruit salad for desert tonight.

Have a great weekend all
Cheers
Maria

PS so much for the Tonia Todman site that I posted, I got an email today to say she has re-launched the site and you now have to pay to be a member

Last edited by flaggies; 12-12-2002 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:54 AM   #2  

Karen hope you are feeling better. The baby is a cutie. Maria hold out for a job that you like. New Zealand sounds so much nicer that India. Checked out the syrup. The bottle did look interesting. I might have to order or better yet go back there and buy some. Slavika I don't have a clue what popcorn twists are either. Busy at work mailing packages. Just checked online to see what the progress is on the one I sent to LA and it is going out for delivery.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:43 PM   #3  
Net browser

Ann and Peggy Hi there, I came by for a quick read and thought I would answer your question and post more tomorrow. I think the product we buy, Old Dutch Popcorn Twists is a Canadian product but I'm sure you must have something similar in the US. Your's might be called, Popcorn Curls or maybe Popcorn Puffs. It doesn't really look or taste exactly like "popcorn". It is white in colour and salted, and it does not have any husks or kernnels.....sort of like a cheezie in texture, well maybe not that much....YIKES.
Did I help you out at all??? The product would be found with the chips and cheezies, that kind of stuff.

P.S. I see our new THREAD is called "50 and 50 year olds", that's ok I didn't want to be 60 anyway.

Last edited by slavika; 12-13-2002 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:52 PM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Karen: Oh what a cutie Ally is! 53 hours of labor? poor thing! Hope you are feeling better!

Maria: WOw that really sounds like a very hard interview to go through. Cant believe they do all that just for selling phones.

Slavika: LOL! I didnt even notice the title til you said something! I will stay in my 50's forever. Actually wish I could go back to 40's

We have had some really strong winds here. One of our tress blew down. Fell on the fence, suprised it didnt knock down the fence but it didnt. Por DH is out there cutting it down before the winds come again.

We are going to put up our Christmas tree today. So I best get busy and get the things out to decorate.

Later!

Last edited by LilyG; 12-14-2002 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:13 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Talking On the countdown

Hi all: Monday night is the last concert. Had a set up and rehearsal this a.m. Things went fairly well, but not the way I'd like it to be. One more practice on Mon. and that's it.

Slavika: I remember well being the teacher in charge of all those kiddies for Christmas concerts and pageants. I think the worst thing that ever happened when I was in charge, was to have a child in the back row 'barf' all over the kid in front of him. He should have stayed home, but you know how kids are, and Mom wanted him to be there. One of the teachers rushed in and did the rescue bit , but it was a bit disconcerting. for us all.

Karen: Hope you are feeling better. Glad you told me about the SIL. Your grand niece is a pretty baby. Men always say babies all look the same, but it is not true.

Lily: Was there snow with the wind that blew down the tree?Or just rain. We have had betwee 9 and 12 inches in the past week.More rain that we usually get in the whole fall season from Aug. to Dec.

Maria: That sounds like a very complicated interview. I suppose you would have to demonstrate the phone, as well as do the connections for someone who is going to get a first one. Too complicated for me. I should think that New Zealand would be much nicer that India. You said a small town Somehow 100,000 doesn't weem small to me. You must be on the count down for the wedding.

Peggy: How much longer on your December job. Glad you all are doing well with packages and cards. Haven't started it yet. I have some shopping done, but those darn runners have just slowed the process.

Trudy: Are you also all through with your shopping and cards, etc.

I found a neat and easy candy recipe in our newspaper. I made some today to give as gifts. Take 16oz of white chocolate. Melt in the microwave, Start with 1.35 minutes. Stir and then add whatever time you need to melt it. Then stir in 1 cup of shelled pistashio nuts and 1 cup of Craisins(dried Cranberries) Spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet, put in the fridge for at least 20 minutes until the chocolate hardens. Then break into pieces. Store in a tin up to 10 days. Another variation is to take the same amount of white chocolate, but stir in crushed red peppermint candies. I put the unwrapped peppermint hard candies in aheavy plastic bag and whopped them with my meat tenderizer. It is quite heavy. You could also use a rolling pin.

I know as a WW we shouldn't be making candy: but this is for gifts, and I only had to have a little sample.: Also found another one for a toffee type with chocolate melted on the top. Hoe to make that laater this week and then make some almond bark with dark chocolate. These recipes are so simple that I could actually find time to do them

Time for bed. We had to stay up to see if DH had any winning lotto numbers. Can you believe that no one has won it for several weeks and now it is up to $100million. Needless to say, we aren't millionaires.

Talk to you all tomorrow, hopefully. Ann
Old 12-15-2002, 06:49 PM   #6  

G'day all from a very hot Adelaide!

We have had some very hot days and there is no change in sight until about Thursday
I have had great difficulty sleeping and staying in bed for any length of time due to painful hips, I don't know what I can do about it. I have been told it is osteo arthiritis.
I was up about 5.30 yesterday morning and went down the beach, it was just lovely, very few people, only a few oddbods like myself and some dolphins just off shore. It definetly is the best time of the day to be at the beach on a very hot day.

By the time I got home dh was up and we then went to some fish markets and bought some beautiful garfish for lunch.
http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/garfish.htm

DS had lunch with us and we then all went for a swim.

Ann I have never made candy, perhaps I should leave it like that because I agree one MUST sample the product!
Sorry you are not millionaires yet, join the crowd

I leave you with the following poem someone send me,

- Soldier

T'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE,
MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE.
I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY,
WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
AND TO SEE JUST WHO,
IN THIS HOME, DID LIVE.
I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
NOT EVEN A TREE.
NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES,
OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.
WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
A SOBER THOUGHT,
CAME THROUGH MY MIND.
FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.
THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
SILENT, ALONE,
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR,
IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.
THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,
NOT HOW I PICTURED,
AN AUSTRALIAN SOLDIER.
WAS THIS THE HERO, OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO, THE FLOOR FOR A BED?
I REALIZED THE FAMILIES,
THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS,
WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.
SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE,
A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.
THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM,
EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.
I COULDN'T HELP WONDER,
HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE,
IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.
THE VERY THOUGHT BROUGHT,
A TEAR TO MY EYE,
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES,
AND STARTED TO CRY.
THE SOLDIER AWAKENED,
AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
"SANTA DON'T CRY,
THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;
I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,
MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS."
THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,
I CONTINUED TO WEEP.
I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
SO SILENT AND STILL,
AND WE BOTH SHIVERED,
FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.
I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE,
ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR,
SO WILLING TO FIGHT.
THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
WHISPERED, "CARRY ON SANTA,
IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE."
ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH, AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.
"MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT."

This poem was written by an Australian Peacekeeping soldier stationed overseas. The following is his request. I think it is reasonable . .

PLEASE. Would you do me the kind favour of sending this to as many
people as you can? Christmas will be coming soon and some credit is due to all of the service men and women for our being able to celebrate these festivities.
Let's try in this small way to pay a tiny bit of what we owe.
Make people stop and think of our heroes, living and dead, who sacrificed themselves for us.
Please, do your small part to plant this small seed.

On that note I wish you all a great day
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 12-15-2002 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Everyone must be very busy, no posts for me to read this morning
It continues to be very hot in Adelaide, thank goodness for airconditioning

DS and fiancee came for a bbq last night, it was nice to see them. Everything seems to be well and truly organised for the big day.
I made hampers for both my kids for Xmas, just bought cane washing baskets that I filled with goodies. I think I might ask for the baskets back so I can do this every Xmas, it is fun to buy all the delicacies, I hope they will like it.

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-16-2002, 10:28 PM   #8  
Member Florida Chick

Talking 3rd one down

Hi All. Well the last concert is now a memory. everything went quite well only a few minor booboos. Part of our problem was because our accompanist had so much on her mind. She had carotid artery surgery 2 weeks ago and is recovering from that. The she got news that her son had to undergo Brain surgery today, and it would likely be 8 hrs. She did hear that he came through the operation okay, and was told that they put radioactive seed in the areas to hopefully take care of the lesions they couldn't remove.

No more sewing to do, so now I can get down to the business of Christmas. All my cards and packages, etc. are just going to be late. So everyone can have something to open after Christmas. Just can't be helped.

Maria: Your goodie baskets sound like a great idea. I 'll have to file that one away for future use.

I got a nice surprise today, a lovely floral arrangement from a friend who used to be a member of the chorus, until she went back North to stay. Guess she was just missing being here.

Well, now it is time to go to bed. It has been a busy day.
nite nite, Ann
Old 12-17-2002, 11:14 AM   #9  
Fun Blonde

All - I am ashamed to write you all after the last few days I have had. I started out Friday and we had two things, breakfast goodies and a salad luncheon. By the end of the day I thought I was going to die from overeating and it just continued through Saturday. We went to a play called "Prairie Christmas" at Guthrie. It was so good. Went with my sis and bil and ate out, went to a movie (Maid in Manhattan--good, by the way)and then a country musical. Through it all I ate at every opportunity. I am back on the straight and narrow, but I could live a week on what I ate in 2 days.

Ann - blows me away that your accompanist could remember anything what with her son's surgery. Hope that works out. You are just too busy. When you retire, I had heard that you slow down. I don't think you have heard that.

Slavika - I loved your grandchildren story. Aren't they the most fun ever!

Maria - 100,000 is not small to me. We live in the BIG town of Stillwater with, maybe 50,000, most of them students. What are cane washing baskets? What did you fill them with?

Have to go. I like this 50 and 50 year old thing. I never wanted to be 60 anyway.
Glenda
Old 12-17-2002, 05:02 PM   #10  

G'day all,

Glenda isn't it maddening when you KNOW you should stop and you have had enough and yet you still keep going At least it was only for 2 days, you can now get back on track again!
As far as my cane baskets that I filled to make them as hampers, the only other way I can explain is, baskets made from bamboo????

I have another project on hand........I always have had a photoalbum on line but the one that I use is no longer free. I looked at some others but none were that private (I prefer to just have people see my photo's that I choose to give the address to) so now that my nephews website is finished, I thought I would make my own on-line photo album.
The very first one will be VERY basic as it will just be the photo's of the wedding but in the meantime I will be trying to make a really nice website with photo's. Should be fun and keep me busy for some time.

Still very hot, 42C (107.6 F) yesterday and the forecast is for similar temperatures today

The long range forecast for Christmas is a very pleasant 29C or around 85 F, hopefully the next day, the wedding day will be similar temperatures.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 12-17-2002, 09:27 PM   #11  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Lily how's your weather now? Did the winds die down a bit? Did you get all your Christmas decorations up?
Peggy I guess you are busy now at your "parcel packing/mailing" job. How long will you be there?
Ann That toffee recipe you were talking about making, is that the one from "Taste of Home"? I have made that recipe twice now and it is very simple and really nice. Packaged up pretty, it will make nice hostess gifts. Sounds like your concert went well and I guess now you are busy doing your Christmas stuff. Glenda 2 days of heavy eating is not so bad...this is just such a hard time of the year, and you are back on track now.
Maria I have been working on a basket for my kids too, for the last three weeks or so. I am not a coffee drinker but they are. When their home was broken into the robbers made off with their coffee/cappuccino maker and the insurance people (that do the shopping) got them a really nice one to replace the one that had been stolen. I had a huge basket (DH won something at a golf tournament that was packed in it) and packed it with all different kinds of coffee. I also included some different teas and flavouring for cappuccino. I made some Chocolate Biscotti and Cranberry/Almond Biscotti and bought little tins to put it in. I showed it to Trudy today at our last tea time, until after Christmas. Last Friday we had a little Christmas Tea Time party and Trudy gave me a lovely delicate little angel for my Christmas tree. She's really pretty. I love when I put up my tree and see all the lovely ornaments I have received as gifts over the years. Nice memories. You sure have been experiencing some HOT weather. I wish when I can't sleep in, that I could just walk down to the ocean and see the dolphins. What a lucky gal you are. (LOL not the sore hips part but the ocean part)
Karen I saw the baby...so sweet. It won't be long now and Trudy will have her grandbaby.
My little granddaughter is now in gymnastics and just loves it. DH and I went to see her during her class on Saturday. She didn't know we where coming and was she ever excited to see us. I made 4 dozen blueberry perogies for Christmas Eve but will make another 4 dozen on Thursday (if I have time). I also made two Shmoo Cakes and tucked them away into the freezer so that is done too. I want to make some "NALYSNYKY" which is Ukrainian Crepes. The filling for the crepes is cottage cheese, both creamed and dry curd, and a little sugar. You serve the crepes with sour cream and you can also put a bit of strawberry jam on top of the sour cream. My family loves them. They are very much the same as the Jewish, Cheese Blintzes (sp).
Good night all.

Last edited by slavika; 12-17-2002 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:07 PM   #12  
Life Time 2001

Ann: No snow here just really bad winds and rain. Im sure all went well with the concert. That poor lady Im sure she did have a lot on her mind with whats going on. Hope her son will be ok.

Maria: Those baskets sound like a great idea! Im sure they will love them.
Everything on the internet now adays is pay it seems. All these Free places have gone pay now.

Glenda: Sound like you had a fun weekend! Life happens so I wouldnt worry about it.

Slavika: It was sunny today! Still cold tho. Got my decoations up and Im ready. Waiting for a package to come in the mail that I ordered for DH and thats it. Course I will have to wrap it. Hoping it comes tomorrow when hes gone as he is pretty snoopy
"NALYSNYKY" which is Ukrainian Crepes" Sound very good, I love Blintzes!
I will be over for christmas!

Night all!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:20 PM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

Hurray: We got outside lights up today, and I actually decorated the living room and put up our little tree. Now it is cards and wrapping and last minute shopping. I might just make it after all.
Sure going to try. Hear about all the bad weather in California, Lily

Maria:107deg. Far. is very very hot. Sounds like the temps. in Arizona. When we were there it was 110 under the awning of our motorhome. Too hot and dry for me.
Slavika: the toffee recipe was in our newspaper, along with the bark. I have to tie my hands, as that toffee is so good. i always did like Heath Bars.
Glenda: I have days like that too. Then it is just get back on the program. You know I like the 50 -50 too, as I'm the great grandmother of this group. Hi everyone. Talk to you tomorrow.
Nite Nite, Ann
Old 12-18-2002, 07:02 AM   #14  

Umm Slavika I would like the contents of your gift basket. Maria You are lucky to be able to go walk the beach whenever you want. I am wishing for some of your weather. Lily hope the rains stop. Where are they when you need them. My son is skiing in Utah this week. I was wondering what kind of weather he is having. Busy at the mailroom this week. Lots of last minute shipping. Glenda tis the season to overeat. I think we all are guilty of that. Bye for now.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:47 AM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Maria - I guess what I really wanted to know was the size of the basket. I would love to do this, but don't want to spend megabucks to fill it up. I so agree with everyone. Just walking to the beach to see the dolphins. I wouldn't mind waking up in the early morning if I could occupy my time like that. I have forgotten--is your son's wedding on December 26th?

I am alone at work today and it is so hectic. I shouldn't say it is fine when everybody wants to bail to Christmas shop. Just two more days of work. We are having the most stressful time I have ever experienced because of budget cuts. Are other states experiencing this crisis?

Anne - if you are the great grandmother of this group, you are one frisky great grandmother. I think you are as busy as, or busier, than any of us.

We are having our whole family spend the night Christmas Eve. Will have to get out the blow-up bed for the kids. I hope it will be fun, to sort of just camp out, play games and EAT! There I go again. My "straight and narrow" isn't going to last very long. We used to do this at my in-law's little house and those memories are some of the best I have. And there was only one bathroom. But we had fun. Hope ours goes as well.
Glenda

Slavika - you are the very bestest grandma and mom. You bake and cook so much. I just am not able to do this because I have never baked and not eaten half of what I cooked.
Closed Thread