General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #1  

Default bra advice {{cringe}}

Okay, here's the thing. I usually buy bras at Target or somewhere like that. I am no longer one size fits all, or perky, or...anything that seems to come in a quick off the rack size. I try to stick to the lower price range and I think that's my problem. So I'm looking for a little advice for sizing and brands and where to find them!

I'm about a 36B-C. I'd like to find a 35.5 B1/2 but apparently they don't make those, lol. I need support. I think my chest adds about 10 bs to my frame with the saggy bras I have(ok, it's not the bras fault, I know that ). But, I also want something seemless that won't show through t-shirts. Comfort is great, but I don't want to feel like I have on an undershirt. I also feel like a lot of bras that I've tried tend to pull the girls to the side rather than keep them front and center.

Am I just too particular? Yes, I know I am I can't afford to buy 5 new $40 bras. But, if it's a great fit that will last then I would definitly be willing to invest.

Any advice is appreciated!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I love undies shopping! And there's nothing wrong with a $20ish target bra. I like their playtex t-shirt bras a lot for regular t-shirt wear.

To me you sound like you are in the wrong size both in the band and the cup with all the sag problems.

Measure yourself under the bust. Round to even. This is your band size. 80-90% of the bra support is in the band. Only 10-20% is in the straps.

DO NOT be adding extra inches even if things online tell you to. That's old advice from before modern elastic fabrics. If it rides up in the back you are in too big a band size or tightening up the straps too much trying to lift the girls.

When you put it on, it should be snug on the largest set of hooks. Then as the bra ages, you can hook it closer to make up for the elastic sag as the bra ages. Bras need to be changed every 6 mos or so. We wear these things daily -- they work hard!

For cup size
, measure yourself around the fullest part of the bust and subtract band size.

0 diffrence = A cup
1 inch = B cup
2 inch = C cup
3 inch = D cup
4 inch = DD cup

(go here if you need more cups sizes. Towards middle of page) That ought to get you in the ball park for when you go try on.

Your breasts should fill out the cups nicely and smoothly with no extra fabric bunching (cup too big) or extra breast spilling out the sides or tops of the cups (cup too small). Bras are in so many cuts to accommodate cuts in clothes -- plunge, demi, full coverage, etc. So once you are in the ball park, take a close look at the cups actually ON your body. And if it is a special bra for a special outfit, bring the dress to try it all on together!

If you are a big C or D or larger, somewhere around there is time to consider underwire or rope or similar support. The wire shouldn't be poking you at the sides. It should lay flat on your ribs.

And you know how to put on a bra right? Bend over so the girls point to the floor. Put the bra on and fasten the hook and then straighten up. Then the girls are centered.

Or just put it on and then reach in there on each side to get the girls up and centered in each of their cups.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-05-2011 at 09:09 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Go to a store that professionally measures you. SUCK IT UP and buy one bra. Then, buy others when on sale at department stores.

I go to a specialty shop every 12-18 months to be sized, buy one UPLIFTING bra, then buy others at Macys, Kohls, etc.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

My boobs are not the best and most bras make them look even more bizarre.
The Maidenform Women's Feeling Sexy Ultimate Gel Push Up Bra however has done wonders for me. Not sure if any of the stores carry it but I got one on Amazon for $24 and it was worth every penny. Still wanna buy two more when I get the money.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #5  

Thanks! astrophe- Great info! I did measure the same way as the link you gave. But, you said don't add the extra inches to the band measurement...I was 31.5 around the band. If I add 4-5 that puts me in a 36. I do feel like that's where the fit fails me. Maybe I need to try a 34 B. The cup size seems to feel too big then, though. I know they are all relative to the band size which is why I feel like I'm in-between. I love the bra style you linked to. That's exactly what I usually get. Maybe I'll try it in a 34B and see how that goes.

MonicaM- Suck it up. That's what I've been thinking. If I get measured and have someone help me I might get a better selection. I should probably do that.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
I was 31.5 around the band
Go with a 32 for the band. You do get 3 rows of hooks to snug it up so I don't think 1/2 inch is a problem.

What was the measure around the bust?

My fav bra for dressing up kinds of dresses is the Cacique plunge one. Even if the dress neckline isn't a deep V to show off, the bra got a good lift. And if the dress DOES have a deep V, no bra peekies showing.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-05-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Do beware at some places that size you as far as not thinking it's 100% perfect ... because after a few times being less than pleased with what I bought at V Secret, I went to three different ones in my area one week and got sized by each of them - you guessed it - three different sizes - all at the same chain. SO I aim for a range and check those out.

Good luck! Great info, Astrophe!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Go with a 32 for the band. You do get 3 rows of hooks to snug it up and I don't think 1/2 inch is a deal breaker.

What was the measure around the bust?
Oh my! Not sure a 32 would do. I know 34's are snug. The bust is 38.5-39. So if I add 4-5 to the band, subtract the bust, I get 2.5-3, which puts me at b-c. Right? I'll try lower band sizes but...Well, I am pair shaped but not that small
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
I went to three different ones in my area one week and got sized by each of them - you guessed it - three different sizes - all at the same chain.
I know. It's happened to me too so I learned to measure myself!

I explained above that you never add. They USED to add before the invention of modern elastics and stretchy fabrics. And some of these bra calculators still are going by those old outdated things. Then poor women end up in wonky sizes.

So back to the OP...

What is your measure under bust then? Without adding extra on to it? 34?

It is supposed to be snug. It's not supposed to be killer, but it is supposed to be snug. It will probably feel weird if you'd been swimming in previous too-big-band-size bras.

What is around the fullest part of bust? 38.5? You could go up to an even 39 or down to an even 38. Try both on in person and see what is better. But your ball park is around here...

38-34 = 4 inches = DD cup
39-34 = 5 inches = DDD/E/F cup

So either a US size 34 DD or a US size 34 DDD/E/F.

My Target seems to max out at a D cup in person. Yours may vary. Or try a different store. But get a bunch and try them on in person to fine tune it from there. Remember -- smoothly filled cups.

If you need to remeasure everything and want me to ballpark you again I'd be glad to help.

GL!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #10  

Under bust-31.5
Around bust-38.5
Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #11  

niafabo- that's how I feel. I don't have much to work with so I want to do the best I can. But my upper body is smallish so I don't know if a push up style would work well for me. I could try it though,?.

nationalparker- I thought about going to VS. Not suprised you got different sizes. But at least then you have something to work with, right? I guess that's a good starting point. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Under bust-31.5 = 32 band size

Around bust-38.5 = 38 or 39.

38-32 = 6 inch = DDDD/F/G cup

39 - 32 = 7 inch = G/H/J cup

So ball park is a US size 32 DDDD/F/G or a US size 32 G/H/J

There you go! Again, that's ballpark. Check the cups out actually on and make sure it's all fitting smooth on the breast. (Imported bra cups sizes can be different.)

But you will find them and it's gonna be great! You'll be all "Aaaaaah! Feels so good!" and you'll rock those t-shirts!

GL!
A

Last edited by astrophe; 03-06-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Spend the $ and get some Victoria's Secret bras! Instead of getting 5 just get 2-3. They're around $45 but they're very good quality and so comfortable especially if your bigger chested. Im a 36D and couldn't imagine buying a cheap bra. I feel like they make your boobs weird shaped/pointy/sagging looking. Splurge a little. It's something you wear everyday so it's not going to waste and your lady friends deserve it! lol
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #14  

31.5/38.5? You're most likely a 32 or 34 band size, and a scary large cup size. (At those measurements I'm a 32FF, and I do not look like a cartoon and I do not look all THAT busty, it's just the number on the label that's appalling.) Which makes you outside the size range of pretty much every chain store-- certainly VS and Target, and most department stores.

Nordstrom should be able to fit you, or look for an old lady indie bra store--they're mostly not really old lady and not as fusty as they look from the outside, I promise.

Basically you should be looking for a band that fits snugly (the smallest band that's not omigawd too tight is your size), and a cup that doesn't cut into you (quadra-boob) and doesn't have more room than you fill out.

(BTW, don't believe any "sister size" crap any sales person tells you to get you to buy--it's nonsense, and a bra that actually fits your body will be far more flattering.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #15  

Not sure where I went wrong here, lol. No, I'm not scarey big or even big for that matter. Just around a 36C. I could be off on the size (which is where the problem lies) but I'm pretty average. The measurements that I gave --Under bust-31.5 Around bust-38.5 --are what I got when I measured myself, which I'm sure, was less than accurate.

I think part of my problem is weight fluctuation. Anyway, looks like I'm at least thinking along the right lines here. Fit is everything and I need to get fitted. I appreciate the help! I'll be doing some shopping, yay!