Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Getting back into exercise

It's been awhile since I've had a good exercise routine going on. For the past few weeks I keep thinking I'm going to start again, but there's ALWAYS an excuse (sometimes legitimate, like I was really sick for almost a week - but usually just an excuse).

Anyone face this before? How did you get yourself to start again?? I need lots of
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #2  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Iris,

I'm now about 4 weeks into my exercise plan. But, a month ago I was exactly the same as you, I 'wanted' to exercise, but still never quite got round to it.

The only way I motivated myself to start (and now I can't imagine stopping!) was because I had a goal of moving back to the UK, which is now 5 weeks away. Can you set yourself a goal of something something up you want to be fitter/thinner/healthier for?

I'm also far more motivated because my housemate also started working out at a similar time to me. Even though we workout independently (she's WAY fitter than me!) because I know she'll be going to gym, it means I have to get off my arse n do something too. So maybe if poss an exercise buddy would help with your accountability? If not an actual one, you could join a thread on here where you log your daily exercise, and that might spur you on to workout

I hope you find the motivation soon, the initial start up is wayyyyy harder than anything else
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I read something recently and I was like YES! The person said that when you first start exercising you have to think of it like a job. When you get up in the morning you don't want to go to work, but you have to so you make yourself. Exercise has to be the same way.

This works for me because I am not a morning person AT ALL. And every single day when my alarm goes off I try to think of ways that I can get out of going to work. Of course I can't so I just make myself do it.

Last night was my night to run on the treadmill and I didn't want to do it. But I told myself that I HAVE to and did. Sometimes I find it hard to motivate myself to exercise, but I ALWAYS feel wonderful afterwards!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #4  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriswhispers View Post
It's been awhile since I've had a good exercise routine going on. For the past few weeks I keep thinking I'm going to start again, but there's ALWAYS an excuse (sometimes legitimate, like I was really sick for almost a week - but usually just an excuse).

Anyone face this before? How did you get yourself to start again?? I need lots of
I've stopped and started throughout my life. It took me awhile to 'just do it' and that was last September when I joined the gym.

If you have worked out consistently before, then you know how good you feel after a workout. Just look at all thep pros of what exercise can do for you. This may motivate you.

Think of your goals and what you want to accomplish. You may need the gym to achieve your goals. Make time for the gym like you would any other appointment you make.

You really can do this.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #5  
Back at It!

60 Benefits of Exercising

Exercise Benefit #1…Increased energy: The right combination of exercise and nutrition creates an hormonal environment conducive to fat loss, increased muscle strength and increased energy. When your body is working at peak efficiency, your energy levels soar! Everyday things become much easier to do.

Exercise Benefit #2…Increased Self-Esteem: Gaining control of your body size and weight through fitness is an amazing way to increase self-esteem. You look better and are more confident which empowers you in everything you do. You will find that the self-discipline required and learned through regular exercise spills over into other areas of your life and you will be better able to make other necessary and desireable changes.

Exercise Benefit #3…Increase Mental Focus: Did you know that the latest research shows that exercise helps keep the brain sharp well into old age? Anything that involves mental acuity (focus and concentration) is improved. You also stand a much better chance of avoiding such diseases as Alzheimer’s and senility.

Exercise Benefit #4…Decreased Risk of a Heart Attack: By exercising regularly and making positive changes in your diet, you lower your cholesterol and blood pressure and greatly diminish the chances of having a heart attack.
Exercise Benefit #5…Decreased Risk of Osteoporosis: Regular exercise, especially weight-bearing exercise, reduces the risk of osteoporosis, and can even reverse it buy building bone tissue!

Exercise Benefit #6…Reduce the Risk of Breast Cancer by up to 60% Estradiol and progesterone, two ovarian hormones linked to breast cancer tumor production are lowered in the body by exercise. A womans body is most susceptible to these hormones during the time between ovulation and menstruation. Habitual exercise can actually delay ovulation until later in the menstrual cycle. This reduces the time she must fight these hormones.Fat has long been known to be a catalyst in the production of estrogen (estradiol). Regular exercise burns body fat and thus decreases the rate of estrogen production.So there you have it!… A two pronged, cancer preventing exercise benefit!

Exercise Benefit #7…Increased Strength and Stamina: Every physical thing you do becomes easier which is immensely useful in everyday life.
Exercise Benefit #8…Reduced Depression: The production of Endorphins (Feel good hormones) is increased through exercise. Nothing improves mood and suppresses depression better than those endorphins.
Exercise Benefit #9…Decreased Stress Levels: The worries and stresses of everyday living (commuting, work demands, conflicts etc.) can stick with you long after the work day is done. Exercise right after work is the perfect natural therapy that can change your mood. You’ll sleep better too!
Exercise Benefit #10…Well actually, here are another 50 benefits…

Improved digestion.
Enhances quality of sleep.
Adds a sparkle and radiance to complexion.
Improves body shape.
Tones and firms muscles.
Provides more muscular definition.
Enables weight loss and keeps it off.
Makes you limber.
Improves endurance.
Burns extra calories.
Improves circulation and helps reduce blood pressure.
Increases lean muscle tissue in the body.
Improves appetite for healthy foods.
Alleviates menstrual cramps.
Alters and improves muscle chemistry.
Increases metabolic rate.
Enhances coordination and balance.
Improves posture.
Eases and possibly eliminates back problems and pain.
Makes the body use calories more efficiently.
Lowers resting heart rate.
Increases muscle size through an increase in muscle fibers.
Improves body composition.
Increases body density.
Decreases fat tissue more easily.
Makes body more agile.
Is the greatest body tune-up.
Reduces joint discomfort.
Improves athletic performance.
Enriches sexuality.
May add a few years to life.
Increases your range of motion.
Enhances immune system.
Improves glycogen storage.
Enables the body to utilize energy more efficiently.
Increases enzymes in the body which burn fat.
Increases the number and size of mitochondria in muscle cells.
Increases concentration of myoglobin (carries oxygen in muscles) in skeletal muscles.
Enhances oxygen transport throughout the body.
Improves liver functioning.
Increases speed of muscle contraction and reaction time.
Enhances feedback through the nervous system.
Strengthens the heart.
Improves blood flow.
Helps to alleviate varicose veins.
Increases maximum cardiac output.
Increases contractility of the heart’s ventricles.
Increases the weight and size of the heart.
Improves contractile function of the whole heart.
Makes calcium transport in the heart and body more efficient.
--

Last edited by Jojo381972; 03-06-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #6  

Thanks, everyone =)

For sure it's a huge motivation knowing I will FEEL better (mentally and physically) if I "Just do it"!!

A goal perhaps would be my birthday, about 2 months away (april 29). I always like to look cute to celebrate my birthday!

It's been a busy weekend but I worked in the garden this afternoon and am planning to do "real" workouts starting again tomorrow. I will check in and report... feel free to call me out if I attempt to make an excuse!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #7  

Jojo, I missed your 2nd post while I was responding... i LOVE it! I think I may have to print that out and tack it on my bulletin board. Awesome!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #8  
Back at It!

You're welcome. I have it on my fridge!
How did your 'real' workout go?