Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 352/352/170

Height: 5'7

Default Back to WW after a LONG time- how on EARTH am I supposed to eat all these points?

Hi everyone! I'm not at all new to WW, I've been an on again off again member since 2006. I lost 70lbs at one point on the program when it was called flex points, sadly gaining it back now.

I just rejoined WW this week and my gosh the program has changed! I went a few times when it was under the 'momemtum' program, but this Points Plus program has me truly perplexed! When I was used to WW I was alotted I believe 35 points a day. I had a hard time eating all my points THEN, and would usually come under at around 28-30 on average. I dropped a lot of weight so the program clearly worked for me like that. NOW I am supposed to get 56 points and I have NO idea how I am supposed to eat that! And I see fruits and veggies are now 0 points? WHAT? I mean that seems like a good thing, but I'm not sure how I am suppose to eat 56 points a day not even counting fruits and veggies!

Any words of wisdom? Are you guys dropping weight with this program? Do you think it would hurt if I used the points target I used to use and still followed the PP way? HELP!
Fallenangel2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/ticker/132

Height: 5'1"

Hey there

I think the US programme (Points Plus) may be slightly different to the UK programme (ProPoints), but is that 56 including your weeklies?

I was a bit stunned when I first came back too, but actually you get used to it (I was on WW years ago when I was a student and lost about 20lbs and then gave up for one reason or another). For one thing, while the fruit and veggies are mostly 0 points (although, as it used to be, there are still a few that have points - peas, for example, and avocado) almost all the other points values have changed - up. So food is worth more points anyway. So what you may have eaten before on, say, a 20 point diet isn't going to be that different to a 29 daily point diet. Plus, I was reading on here somewhere, that (roughly!) a 29 daily point day works out at just under 1200 cals I think, so there is plenty of room for the extra cals from the fruit and veg. (Although it's not based purely on cals anymore...)

I have 29 dailies, and it's no struggle to eat all those now, plus an average of about 5 or 6 portions of f&v daily! As for the weeklies, I have 49 and I usually use a few a day (my average daily intake is about 32 points) and then I use what's left of them on whatever more 'relaxed' evening I'm having that week - a trip to the pub with friends, dinner out with my husband etc. I never eat my activity points.

I've been on the new plan for just over 2 weeks (after losing 11 lbs on my own, I decided to join up as I wanted some structure and accountability!) and I've lost 2lbs both weeks. I imagine if I ate fewer of my weekly points I might lose a bit faster, but I'm quite happy with this rate of loss - it's certainly working for me.

I hope that's helped a bit and not just confused you more!

Good luck!

X
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #3  

Hi- thanks for the response! I guess I do need to take into consideration that the points values for many foods has also gone up- I think I have my mind stuck in how it used to be. Its going to take a while for me to adjust!

To be clear, my daily points are 56 under the new Points Plus, and I also have a weekly allowance of 49- which I don't think I will need too often. I think it's just going to take me some time to wrap my head around the new system and the fact that now I have almost double to points I used to. It's just 56 seems like such a big number to me because I was used to 32 for SO long- will take me a while! Thank you for the reply and the good luck! Same to you- keep up the great work!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #4  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Don't forget, just like daily points went up, a lot of food points went up too, since they are now calculated differently.

If you're worried about getting all of your points in, make sure to eat full-fat dairy products, like cheese and milk, and get healthy oils and nuts in. Those usually help. And starchy veggies like corn and potatoes are NOT free, so adding those to meals will help.

I also did WW a few years ago under the old points system and this was a bit of a change, but I really like it so far!
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Hi Robin, your points went up dramatically, but points also went up on frozen dinners, processed foods, etc. If you have any grocery foods that say how many points they are, make sure they say PointsPlus or you need to recalculate. Starchy veggies like potatoes, corn and peas still have points, so that helps add in some. All in all, if you follow the healthy guidelines and get in enough oils and grains, you'll go up closer than you think!

Also, I've found that while the new plan yields a little slower weight loss, it's incredibly easy to follow!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #6  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
Also, I've found that while the new plan yields a little slower weight loss, it's incredibly easy to follow!
I agree, it is super easy to follow. I was skeptical at first but I like PointsPlus way more than the old program. There were plenty of times when I felt hungry on the old one and I don't have that problem now. Plus I love having fruit be free! So even if I am feeling hungry or need a quick snack, I can just grab some fruit!
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Have you calculated the points for what you are currently eating? Maybe comparing the new WW to your old way of eating, rather than to the old WW will help you you.

56 points is about 2300 calories. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to guess you were eating far more than that to get up to your current weight.

You'll find that buy getting in healthy oils, having full fat rather than nonfat dairy, adding nuts and nut butters to your meals and having slightly larger portions of protein or carbs will get you up to 56 points in no time.

Good luck! I love the new plan.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/186.3/not sure yet

Height: 5' 5.5"

I agree with those who said that the new plan is incredibly easy to follow! I do weight watchers online, so I don't go to the meetings, and I have been thinking of food in terms of point values for a while now. I LOVE the new plan. I don't have a good sense of the impact on my weight loss. I have haven't been able to lose as much as before per week, but that might be because I have lost quite a bit already. But, I can easily imagine using this plan forever... I hope it works!

That said, I don't always eat all of my daily points. I know that you are supposed to, but sometimes I eat more fruits and vegetables throughout the day and I'm less hungry for other foods. So, I'm left with the choice of either eating when I am not really hungry (to eat all my points) or coming in a little under. In those cases, I usually go with the latter option. But, in general, I don't have a problem eating my points.

Good luck with Weight Watchers! I hope you like it, I know I do!
hope4balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #9  

You are not doing the plan the way WW wrote it if you eat so many fruits and vegetables you can't eat all your points. You can go the excess on them.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/186.3/not sure yet

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You are not doing the plan the way WW wrote it if you eat so many fruits and vegetables you can't eat all your points. You can go the excess on them.
Thanks, Susan. Yeah, I try to watch that, because their printed materials encourage you to be mindful of your fruit/vegetable intake, suggesting that while it is "free" overdoing it will slow your weight loss. For me, it is never that I "can't" eat my points. Rather, occasionally, I find that I have 2-3 points left at the end of the day and I'm not hungry. I have been trying to working on listening and responding to my hunger cues, and not eating if I'm not hungry. I always plan to eat my points, and I often use my weekly allowance. But, I don't freak out if I come in under from time to time...
hope4balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #11  
Less of a Better Me

Fallenangel...

The reason your points are so high is that WW designs the program to create a calorie deficit of about 1000 calories a day (not including eating weekly points) which theoretically works out to a 2 pound loss per week which they feel is a maximum weight loss per week.

Some of the reading I've done has said said that it is also considered healthy to loss up to 1% of your weight per week so if that is so then you could lose more than 2 pounds per week. You could check with your doctor as to what is safe for you. That said, WW's program is designed to have a loss of 2 pounds a week.

For me a PP is worth about 38 - 40 calories so 56 PP is about 2200 calories a day. I don't know about you but I can totally eat 2200 calories a day! I'm sure that I got to be overweight by eating more than that every day.

So, I'm sure it is possible to eat 56 points a day. I always get baffled when someone says they can't eat their daily points per day as we all had to eat more than that to get overweight in the first place. I'm not saying that you should go out and eat unhealthy food but with 56 points you can more freely eat out and can eat full fat dressings, for example, and eat larger portions overall.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'4"

I really need to change my name.

After learning all about Pointsplus I have defected from South Beach to Weight Watchers. I just started today.

This plan is so much easier to use than the older plans - and like many of you, I've done them all.

I love that fruits and most veg are free. I was just reading a book called Anticancer, written by a famous physician who has healed himself of brain cancer. He says that fruits and vegetables can never be eaten enough. They are the most potent anti-cancer foods on this earth. I have read that so many times - it's foolish to count a food our body needs. And fruits and veg have the lowest caloric density of any food around. Weight Watchers knew what they were doing with that change.

I am thrilled to be back on Weight Watchers. The severe limitations on fruits on South Beach just didn't sit right with me. And I find the plan very easy to follow.

Do you guys know about the easy way of calculating points if you don't have a calculator? You divide the points per serving by 40, as every point has an average of 40 calories. There's an awesome article on Wikipedia (just google Weight Watchers+ Wikipedia) that explains the points formula and gives additional information about the plan.

I am so relieved to be back on Weight Watchers. This time I'm making it a lifestyle, not another diet. I can't wait to succeed.
southbeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #13  

Sorry, I got so sidetracked! Folks having trouble getting in their points can always have full fat or low fat milk instead of skim. Same with cheeses and other proteins. The added fat in those foods will bring up your points count for the day, yet you aren't eating more food.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #14  

Good grief am I messing up!

An easy way of calculating points is dividing the CALORIES per serving by 40, to get your point count.

Sorry, it's been that kind of day.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #15  

Thanks guys for all the tips and I appreciate your replies!! I never thought of switching to full fat milk, dairy, dressings etc- I guess for so long it was ingrained into me 'Fat Free= Good, Full Fat=BAD' so its going to take some getting used to.

And I KNOW I was eating a lot more then 2200 calories a day to get to this weight- and I KNOW I am capable of eating WAY more then that a day, however it is MUCH harder to eat that in healthy foods then it is in bad foods, and that is the point of WW- to eat your points healthy. If I wanted to go out and eat 56 points work of bad food I could do that in a minute, but its tricky, for me anyway to fill them all up using healthy foods.

Thanks for your replies everyone!