Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'3"

Default TamiL or Another - How to Begin With So Much Info Out There

I opened up a topic and read a reply by TamiL and could see that she has lost a lot of weight. I went to the search to find other posts by her and then saw a before and after picture. Very impression and motivational. That was just what I needed. There is so much information out there and I can get so easily lost in the computer (for hours) that I am afraid to start looking up on how to begin. I guess I should just begin by not eating. Or just try to start with not eating the "bad stuff" for just one day. I say that everyday and then I eat it all again and every day has been that way for ten years. I am 240 and was 160 not that many years ago. I see carbs (pasta, rice, etc) are a bad thing and I know that, but how do you eat a meal without? Everything seems to have carbs. Can someone point me in the right direction maybe to start. Sometimes it seems that if I was just given a plan to stick to it would be easier because I don't feel like I can be given any choices right now because it would be too easy to fall off the wagon. I really need restriction and that is why I can see how some of those diet plans where they give you the food work best for some in the beginning when you are really not so strong.
winker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I think Medifast is a lower carb meal delivery plan...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm on Atkins which is great, but if Atkins is too extreme for you then you could consider looking into South Beach. It's very easy to cut out carbs...center your meals around protein and veggies. Good luck!
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There is a huge amount of information available. The important thing is to understand one basic simple truth.

Your body uses energy. If you consume less energy than your body needs your body utilizes fat stores to make up the difference. In other words, calories trump everything else.

Along the way you'll find through trial and error what means of restricting calories works best for you. Don't let trying to find the perfect plan stop you from making progress.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I have come up with my own plan after reading many books on weight control. I do much better witha low carb plan but fail miserable when its to restrictive. South Beach, 17 Day Diet or Lean for Life seem to be a better fit for me. They give you options that I can live with. I have three means and three snacks and I can live with that. I also agree with JohnP, exercise, exercise, exercise. The more you move...the more you burn and the better you will feel. Good luck!
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #5  
~Kim~

I've kind of learned to take bits and pieces from everywhere. You have to learn what works best for you. I calorie count, and I also keep an eye on my carbs. I don't do low carb, but my net carbs for the day is always less then 100g. Usually more like 85g. Not all carbs are a bad thing. The majority of my carbs come from fruit and veggies, which is what I have with meals instead of rice and pasta. Of course you can always have rice and pasta because they are complex carbs, which are the good kind. They do have whole grain variety and actually measuring out your servings is what's important.

If you feel like you need certain restrictions you could restrict your calories, which is really what weightloss boils down to. Calories in and calories out. Anyone can lose weight by restricting calories no matter what they eat. They just may lose faster and healthier if those calories are nutriant dense. (Fruits, Veggies, Whole Grains, Lean Protein, Healthy Fats from nuts and oils) You could try WW. It's basically calorie counting, but it takes into account fat and fiber too. Do some googling and you will find that you can do it without joining the meetings or even the website. With WW you can eat whatever you want just as long as you stay within your point allowance. WW is great, but I've learned it just doesn't work for me because I allow to many of my points to be not the best and therefore I always end up not really eating enough and I end up feeling hungry and deprived and blow it.

I've also eaten plenty of prepackaged meals like Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones. They make it easy, but they don't teach you about portion control and they honestly aren't worth the nutrition to me. They aren't all that big, but they are packed with carbs and sodium (which you can't even really taste) plus lots of preservatives. I wouldn't even consider the meal delivery systems, that would be like $300 a month just for me.

You really just have to find what will work for you. Something that will fit your lifestyle and what will work for you long term. For me one of the biggest things is accepting this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Still hasn't completely clicked yet, but I'm getting there. =)

Good luck with your journey.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

[QUOTE=winker;3739674] I see carbs (pasta, rice, etc) are a bad thing and I know that, but how do you eat a meal without? Everything seems to have carbs. QUOTE]

Not all carbs are equal. Shoot for complex carbs as opposed to simple carbs.
You will eventually adjust your eating habits - it takes time. I love potatoes (not white - eew - they have to be yellow flesh potatoes) and I could eat a bucket of them at each meal (and I used to). I started to cut down the serving size and I often eat sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes since their GI is lower. But, even regular potatoes are not bad, they had lots of nutrients. Now, I am happy with 1 potato as a side dish to meat and I always always have either a salad or some other green stuff with it (broccoli, green beans, etc.).
I am not a much of a rice eater but brown rice is probably a bit healthier than white rice (but google it up). How about wild rice?
I started to eat whole wheat pasta as soon as it became available. I have no problem with the taste at all, I don't miss white pasta. These days, I eat pasta rarely but I still do - I am just very careful about how much of it I put on my plate. I am not a calorie counter but I know that a cup of pasta contains a lot of calories.
The same with bread - I never buy white bread (I never did, as a matter of fact). It has to be whole wheat and I am also particular about a number of other ingredients.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote