Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 01:56 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Smile Steel Magnolias #206

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another lovely day here and I do believe we will take a ride to the mountains (just a few miles away this day with the top down.

JOYCE welcome back! Girlfriend I know how hard it is to stay OP when eating out so much. Once in a while is manageable but every big meal is a terrible challenge. I know you will miss your son now that he has gone back to Alaska. I will type out my list of charms so you can visualize my bracelet as it will be built.

This is a list of my charms for my weight loss bracelet. I started out with a chunky link bracelet heavier than the thin ones usually used for charm bracelets because I knew I would have lots of charms on it when it was finished and so needed the balance. I may change the order when it comes time to put them on. My WW goal is to get to 150 but my personal goal is to get to 144. When I make that 144 it will be a total of 181 that I have lost. I will just have to wait for when I get down that low to see how things are .......

Bracelet w/Thin Within girl charm of Montana Silver & bullet to bite on
10# Three paper-dolls holding hands – WW, 3FC & Wendie Plan friends
20# Weight Scale – my weekly weigh in’s
30# An “ON-OFF” switch – keep it switched to the ON program side
Lock for reaching my 10%
40# 2 keys to open the locks to my program
50# Indian Head nickel &
Water bottle – Drink that water
60# Old fashioned food scales – I weigh and measure what I eat
70# Puzzle piece – Putting the pieces together to work
80# Star – my Bravo star
90# Stock Market Graph – I graph everything
50% off tag – When I have lost 90 pounds I am 50% of the way to goal
100# Silver Dime – denotes 100 down
Sneaker - exercise
110# Calculator – I calculate points for everything
120# Diary &
Pencil – I write what I bite
130# Knife, fork, spoon –
Lips – What goes in the lips ends up on the hips
140# Cup –
Diet Soda can – drink smart
150# Sand Dollar
Abalone topped box that opens
160# Turtle – slow and steady goes the weight loss
170# Tin Man – got heart to do this thing
180# Butterfly – I will have emerged
Book Locket to hold before and after pictures
Numbers 181 for the number of pounds lost

The LIPS charm is the only gold one I am going to put on this bracelet. Those are my lips that the food I eat on this program goes through.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:25 PM   #2  
One Day At A Time

Maggie - Wow - that is quite a list of charms. Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your rewards. I think it's going to be a lovely charm bracelet to go along with the new you. And the weight loss accomplishment will be -- wow!!! You are going to feel so good!!! And look so good!!! I think I'm going to talk to dh about this idea. I really like it....
Old 12-11-2002, 06:06 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Smile HUMP DAY

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We are now back from a wonderful relaxing drive. On the way home Cowboy was saying that he needed a 1x6 board about 30 inches long. Figured it would cost about 3 bucks so we were thinking of going to Home Depot and get it. A mile on down the road I said, "Look there beside the road is a board but I dont think it is a 1x6." He stopped and sure enough it was a 2x4 but was 30 inches long. I said, "Oops, I'll just have to try a little harder next time." Then we went by a housing development ~ a ha..... went in and asked if we could look in their junk pile. Up came the needed board. What fun.

JOYCE I really do have fun with my bracelet because when I wear it I always get asked about it, so I put in a lot of plugs for WW. It really helps me keep my FOCUS especially when eating out. And since I decided in the beginning I never have more than 10 pounds to lose it was a good time to put on a charm. Right now I have 9.2 to lose to get my next charm put on. I know you would really enjoy having one. Look at you and your losses! Your bracelet would come half filled.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:47 PM   #4  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Busy couple of days but it is nice to have it behind me. Lazer surgery is over. Second eye was quite different than the first as I experienced a very scratchy feeling all afternoon and into the evening. However, this morning I was almost 100% again. Saw the DR today and he said it looked fine and will see me again in two months. Jean, this was not for vision but to put a halt to the glaucoma they have been watching for a few years.

MAGGIE: What a wonderful idea that charm bracelet is. I love your choices and what they represent to you. You will always be able to look at it and remember the joys? and struggles to get to that thin within person you will become! That was a very seridipitous find you had on your trip. That kind of thing makes for a great feeling. DH found our flagpole on one of his walks. It was lying along the foundation of a house and when he asked the widow what she was going to do with it she said if he could move it it was his. He had a friend with a truck move it and now we have a great flagpole.

BUBS: That ice storm sounds like a great excuse to stay home and wrap. Wrapping is not my favorite thing but when you have the ice storm as an alternative I guess wrapping is not so bad.

JEAN: Yes DD is strong but also very stubborn. We have all told her that no one would fault her for not having the party this year with what has been going on but......of course she has to have it.
She is an OR nurse and when she was in training and doing her surgery rotation she saw a DR touch something that was not sterile and she told him he had to leave the OR and rescrub. Mind you this was while she was a student. It is a story I often remember when I think she is being too stubborn.

JOYCE: It must feel very quiet at your house now that DS has returned to Alaska. At the same time I bet you are glad to be back to normal again.

Gloria in MA.....getting off the computer early tonight, trying not to strain the eyes. Have a good night.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:20 PM   #5  

Wink

Maggie,
That bracelet is amazing! I don't think I put that much thought into planning my wedding a hundred years ago Of course, in my day my mother did most of the planning and I just followed her lead...........probably the only time in my life I've been a follower That sure isn't the case now! However, I'm also not as imaginative as you are either.

Gloria,
Glad your eye is doing better. Everyone I know who's had it done has been pleased. There was no ice so I didn't get any wrapping done today

Jean,
Saw a teacher friend of mine today who teaches 4th grade. They put two non-English speaking students in her room Monday. The Spanish teacher from the high school was there for about an hour, and since then she's been on her own. She looks exhausted. She said if they don't get her a translator by Jan.1, she's going to start raising some questions. I'd be raising more than that!

Off to walk my buddy.
Bubbles
Old 12-12-2002, 01:31 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers!
I see by the time it is now Thursday in Iowa! I just had to take some time and pick up my house tonight; the clutter was winning the war but I did make a big dent in it.

Maggie -- Your bracelet sounds awesome! You've put alot of thought into it and I'm sure people enjoy hearing about the history behind it.

Joyce -- I have my fingers crossed that your DH will think a bracelet for you is a great idea!

Bubbles -- We are being forced into the "no child is left behind" program . . . because our test scores are so low we are getting some sort of grant that will pour $170,000+ into 3 of our 4 elementary schools for a reading program. It is the ESL students that will receive the extra help. Today we had a staff meeting and were told that we are not to have coffee cups on our desks any more. Some students have complained because they are not allowed to carry any beverages beyond the student center and it's a double standard that we should be able to have a drink whenever we want. Let me tell you there are some HOT teachers at the school -- I don't have coffee but I do have an insulated mug with ice and water in it. If need be, I will get a doctor's written excuse saying I NEED to drink throughout the day! Like I've said before, retirement is looking better and better!

Gloria -- I do remember you talking about glaucoma. I'm glad that the surgery is over for you. Are you going to be making food for your daughter's party?

Well, I am yawning and it's way past my bedtime. Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-12-2002, 04:31 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Arrow Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Weigh in today showed a MAINTAIN for which I am ever grateful for because I know my body is getting ready for a loss next week.

GLORIA hope your eyes feel better today. Having them feel scratchy is not fun.

BUBBLES do you suppose the best way to teach those kids to speak English is what is happening there? Seems rather extreme.

JEAN Why in the world did the admin cave when those students complained about the coffee cup or water on the teachers desks. Seems to me that the students are running things. Next they will complain that you have a better desk and then will admin give them all one like yours? And then they will complain that you get paid and then will they pay them? I saw on the news that one school now is paying students $50 for each two weeks perfect attendance. Outrageous I do believe. Where does the insanity stop. What does the teachers union have to say about this?
Old 12-12-2002, 04:52 PM   #8  
Kool Kat

hi, everyone. It's been awhile since I've been around. After thanksgiving, it seemed like some sort of free-for-all. I've had a pretty difficult time staying OP. But my last final is tomorrow night. I really think that the lowered level of stress with give me the opportunity to regroup and get back to it. I sure hope so.

I'm heading back to the gym... hopefully saturday, but we'll see.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Seren
Old 12-12-2002, 11:12 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers!
One more half day of school and then the weekend begins! We are going computer shopping and out to supper with our daughter.

Maggie -- I will take a maintain any day and tell myself that it is better than a gain. Next week will be a losing one for you, I'm sure! I thought of something else that is "unfair" at school . . . the teachers can budge into the front of the lunch line and if there is a long line of senior boys they really get miffed. I just tell them that when they get their teaching certificates, they can be first in line too! Several (not me!) have lined up empty pop cans and water bottles, along with their coffee cup, on their desks. I don't know if the principal has been around to check it out or not. Today the Spanish classes attended a play of some sort and the principal was seen carrying his coffee cup into the auditorium. Now that is tacky, I think. Talk about a double standard!

Seren Dee -- I hope your finals have gone well for you! Good luck with going back to the gym . . . wish I had someone to go with.

It is bedtime in Iowa. Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-12-2002, 11:40 PM   #10  

Good Evening,

Jean,
can you retire and then sub? At least you wouldn't have to deal with the paperwork, and you could pick your schools. There are days when I think I'll go sign up on the sub list, and then I hear a horror story like yours and think again...........like, "Have you lost your mind?" And paying the kids to come to school? That's crazy! I don't know about youall, but the future of our country scares the **** out of me because of ridiculous decisions like that. What they should do, is make the parents pay a penalty for each day a student is absent without a drs. excuse! Especially if they're receiving public assistance. There should be some responsibilities for the recipients in that dept.
Maggie, as for teaching a foreign language by immersion, who knows? If there were only a few kids it would be one thing, but with thirty of the little munchkins, she can't try to communicate with them, teach her other 28, maintain some semblance of order, do the paperwork(mountains of it, and more each year), prepare for Christmas program, and the list goes on. At least with our camp kids, their parents were bilingual, so we could communicate with them when necessary. I don't know how the folks in the border areas of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona do it. On the other hand, they do have locals and faculty members who are fluent. We're the only country in the world trying to educate the entire population equally, and it's just not realistic. In WV now, ALL students must have 4 years of Math and Science, plus 2 years of a foreign language...........there are some kids who are doing well to learn "the mother tongue", and they sure aren't going to learn a second language. Theoretically, it's great, and I know most Europeans are multilingual, but look at the size of their countries! Going through France is like going from here to Washington or New York. If one were to superimpose an outline map of the US on a map of western Europe, it would be obvious why they're multilingual. It makes me crazy that some yahoo, who's making $100,000 a year is sitting in his ivory tower coming up with all these grandiose ideas when he/she may never have been in a classroom, or it's been 20 years since the last bell rang.
Forgive me for getting on my soapbox, but as you can tell, this stuff really pulls my chain! Jean, keep on drinkin' honey! Let 'em try to replace you! What will they use, someone off the street? They can't get subs now.
Maggie, the reason they get away with such nonsense is that the school systems are terrified of lawsuits........think about it. Caving in is cheaper than a class action suit. Unfortunately, everything in the ed biz is determined by $$$$ today.
I'd better get out of here or youall will run me out of town on the proverbial rail
Happy Friday one and all. We're supposed to have some more ice tomorrow........oh joy. Mike's plane is supposed to land Saturday at 7:15PM, but with the weather forecast, who knows? We may drive from Roanoke to Lynchburg,VA for the funeral of a dear friend's mother, who died early this morning. The service is at 12:30 Sunday afternoon, and rather than drive home Sat. night, which takes about 1.5 hours, and getting up and driving 2.5 back east again Sun. AM, it makes more sense to go directly to L'burg, which is about 1.5 hours from Roanoke. We'll see what the weather's doing when the time comes. If it continues to deteriorate, we may have to come home, as there are a couple of stinko twisty mountain roads between here and there.
Y'all have a grand weekend. Gloria, I don't know what you and Maggie will do with all your Christmas preparations done. I hope you get really bored, both of you. Serves you right for being so efficient I think I just work better under pressure.

Bubs
Old 12-13-2002, 08:30 AM   #11  
One Day At A Time

Good Morning Everyone

I weighed in yesterday. Gained 1.4, I was glad it wasn't more with all the company and eating out. I will lose it this week and hopefully a bit more. I will...Iwill...I will.........

All this talk of schools - on one hand I'm glad my kids are out but now they have to deal with them with their children. One grandson, who really does have ADHD, has a teacher that doesn't like him. It's a very rural school, 5th grade, about 10 kids in his class. He's supposed to go to a special ed session eveyday for math. His teacher won't let him go. So his mom has gotten several of the higher powers to straighten this out. I guess the teacher is terrible but they can't fire her because she has tenure. We are hoping he makes it thru this year because next year he will have a terrific guy for a teacher.
There sure needs to be some changes. I wish they would listen to parents but I guess parents and grandparents don't know what our children need. There is too much pampering and giving in to children. Can't discipline them anymore and they know it. Can't make them learn and they know that too.

Jean - At the school my kids went to, they were allowed to have soda in classroom. Only problem, my kids said some of them had alcoholic drinks in the soda cans. I don't see why you can't have water. You are the one that has to keep talking hour after hour. I just don't understand what is happening.

Yesterday at WW, someone gave us a web site that figures out the recipes for restaurants foods. He brought the recipe for KFC cole slaw. He has made some adjustments to lower the calories. I think the website was www.topsecretrecipes.com. Thought it might be interesting.

Maggie - Good for you for the maintain. I too think this week will be good for you. I have noticed that I go thru cycles too. I will have a small gain every 3 or 4 weeks then lose it plus some the next.

I guess I need to get to work. 3 more years. We've been saying that for a few years now - 3 more years - but I think it is really only 3 more for sure now. Jan 2006 - I'm done!!!! But in the meantime I have some work that needs to be done.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:30 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Arrow FRIDAY at last

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Here something to help us all get down this road to thin ~ especially during holiday time.

JUST SAY “NO THANK YOU.”
You have probably noticed subtle changes in your relationships with family members and friends as you proceed along with your weight loss goals. Redefining "love" as having nothing to do with "food" may be difficult for some folks to accept. However, it's time for you to stand up to what your needs are and that does not include a second helping of Aunt Matilda's famously wonderful casserole!

Although well-meaning family and friends may encourage you to eat for different reasons, learning to politely and positively say "No, thank you" is the best thing you can do for yourself and them. Dealing with this pressure can be uncomfortable at times, but it does get easier.

Something to keep in mind:
·Train yourself to say "No, thank you!" simply and firmly, when appropriate. You do not have to eat anything you don't want to, and you don't have to make any excuses.

· Be on guard around those who think you may be "too thin" or those who like you "just the way you are". Above all else, to "your own self be true". Keep your goals in mind. Visualize yourself as YOU want to be and call upon that mental picture when needed.

· Help make old friends comfortable with the new you. Some people may not know how to react to a changed you. Your matter-of-fact acceptance of a different style of eating and behavior will put them at ease.

· Because of your success, various people in your life may feel envious and may try to cause you to backslide. Expect this and be ready for it. Tell them about your success with YOUR weight loss plan and let them know how it works.

· Think positively about yourself. Assert yourself. Keep in mind that the good relationships you're building with family and friends come not only from good feelings about them, but the good feelings you have about yourself and what you are doing for your health.

JEAN & BUBBLES surely there is something to "home schooling!" I have a cousin that writes the programs for home schooling and her kids are excelling and well rounded. They get together with about 50 other families for activities such as sports and field trips. And the parents can make the rules.

JOYCE we just have to stick to our program and then let our bodies decide when to drop the weight. It stands to reason that if you eat less than your body needs it will eventually have to let go of some pounds. Let's both try and make our bodies cooperate next week and give us a loss. Drink that water!

Every one have a wonderful weekend.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:46 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We spent the afternoon shopping and the mall was full of people. Both of us wondered if any of those people worked! We did get some more Christmas items crossed off our lists but still have a couple of things left to get. DH bought a laptop computer and we looked at a replacement for me. There are so many options that I don't know anything about; I'm sure the salesman thought I was a real dunce!

Bubbles -- Little by little we are dropping some of our higher level math and science courses because the minorities do not sign up for them. We do have a small college here in town where our HS students can take the classes. As long as they pass the class they do not have to pay for it, which is a good deal. I could sub but I'm not so sure that I'd want to. A couple of weeks ago I did cover a class (a study skills class, no less) and the teacher said that she has had 4 subs this semester and every one left a long list of offenders. Well, I started the class by saying who I was and that I expected them to do the assignment that the teacher had left for them. If they chose not to, I would assign 30 minutes (most teachers start with 15) of detention time to be served at 7:30 AM, and they would have 3 days to make it up. If they didn't, I would turn their name into the office and the time would double to an hour. They all looked at me like "oh - oh" and got busy. I'm not sure they did what they were supposed to but they were quiet and they were working on something. The teacher couldn't believe it but I think part of it was that some of them probably have seen me around the school and knew that I knew the ropes. There were also some brothers and sisters of students that I have worked with over the years so I think that helped. There are definitely classes that I would choose not to sub in and you couldn't pay me enough ($80 a day now) to go into the middle school. I used to enjoy the elementary schools but having playground duty and lunch duty leaves alot to be desired after being away from it for so long. I don't know what the answer is but I truly believe that parents need to parent more so that they are home with the kids when they are younger. The schools can't do it all and by the time they get to the high school, it's almost too late in most cases.

Joyce -- The alcohol problem is the reason why our students cannot take cans nor bottles into the academic area. We have pop, juice, and water machines in the student center and they are not to bring anything in from outside the building. Many of them do though, and it's a case of "who you are" as to whether or not the administration makes them get rid of it. So far none of the teachers have gotten rid of their coffee cups; in fact, some have added an array of empty water bottles and pop cans to their desk tops. My desk isn't that big so I just let my cup sit where it always has, right out in plain sight. No one has ever asked what is in it but you can hear the ice rattle when I pick it up. I'm surprised that the governing powers to be haven't evaluated your GS's IEP and realized he was not getting the help that he needed. DH feels that teacher tenure is the worst thing to ever happen and I have to agree. Iowa is trying to implement a testing program to make sure the teachers keep up to date in their field. I'm not sure that's the way to go since some teachers are much better with "hands on" than the pencil and paper route. Sorry to hear the iron monster showed a gain; you will have it gone in no time!

Maggie -- Thanks for the "no thank you" tips! I could never have home schooled my two . . . no patience on my part! In Iowa the home schooled student has to pass all of the required course exams, just like the rest of the students. In the last few years, they have been allowed to participate in chorus, band, athletic teams, etc. Sometimes they are not as accepted and that has caused some problems.

I need to make a grocery list for tomorrow morning. I plan to hit the grocery store before the Saturday crowd gets there. I also need to go to Wally World for cat food! We have a holiday get together tomorrow night and I need to fix some snack item to take along.

Have a super Saturday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:20 AM   #14  
Web Nana

Good Morning Magnolias

JEAN: Couldn't resist when I read your comment about going to Wally World for cat food and having to get something together for your holiday gettogether. The juxtoposition?(sp) of the two thoughts made me think I wouldn't want to go to your holiday gettogether if you are serving cat food! LOL

Gloria in MA......just a short note, I will be back later. DS is due in later today if the weather holds.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:04 PM   #15  

Now that is a thought! I wish that every social event didn't have to include food! I feel like all I have done for the last week is eat; I am so stupid when it comes to food . . . if it's there, I'll eat it! I am making cucumber sandwiches for tonight with low fat cream cheese.

I think this is #14 so whoever visits next can start a new thread.

I am off to wrap some Christmas gifts and then will start my cards. Have a nice afternoon, Flowers. It is 52 degrees here, sunny, and a bright blue sky!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread