Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #1  

Default A good way to get rid of the fat on my thighs?

Hey guys! It's been a long since I've been on here.

My high school prom is on April 9th, and I'm trying to get ready for it!

I've got this stubborn fat on my thighs that I just can't seem to get rid of, do any of you know a good workout or something that I could do to get rid of it soon enough?

I know I won't have it all gone by April, but I'm hoping to lose it by summer.

I also walk on the treadmill everyday for 30 minutes, with the incline on 10/ speed on 3.

Thanks!
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

try intervals. and strength training! to work the legs you want to get it from all angles. lateral, up and down and every way you can think of. so speed skaters and side lunges would be lateral, walking lunges is your up and down motion, and so on. also try elevated bridges.

and you may need to experiment with less fat OR carbs with a high protein diet. don't do less carbs and low fat, or you'll have zero energy. and it's not healthy.

Last edited by katy trail; 03-02-2011 at 09:35 PM.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

steep uphill powerwalking + doing squats is doing wonders for me. normally i'd be running/jogging a few times a week but my foot is busted. i am still managing to avoid that "flabby" feeling by making sure i walk really fast to anywhere i go.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #4  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

I recomend in addition to doing squats and running(I have lost 2 inches from my thighs from doing the eliptical) the Bliss fatgirlslim cream. It has caffeine that reduce the appearance of celulite, it firms your skin.
I also don't think that people notice your thighs as much as you do most likely. But if you are losing weight the weight comes off from your whole body so your thighs will get smaller even though it seems like it's taking a long time, it is working. Hang in there!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You can't spot reduce fat currently. You can lose fat and your body will lose it where it wants. While you likely have stubborn fat on your thighs you wouldn't be complaining if that was the only fat on your thighs. True stubborn fat is something most of us don't have to worry about.

Walking for 30 minutes burns 300 calories. Not much impact compared to what impact your diet can have on weight loss or weight gain.

Overall you can accomplish a lot in the time that you have but without more details it is impossible to comment or offer suggestions.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 AM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Heavy strength training will give your legs a more visually slim appearance, I promise, and help burn extra calories, but John is right on. Spot reducing isn't really possible. You can build the underlying muscle and shed overall body fat, which should be your goal, but getting rid of specific areas isn't possible without surgery, as our bodies don't lose weight in predictable and controllable locations.

Shape wear is my friend, in these cases

Check out a solid lifting text like "New Rules of Lifting for Women". Very few things will transform your figure during weight reduction like a solid strength training routine.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #7  
WonderWoman

S/C/G: 128/125/113

Height: 5'

I totally second shapewear for prom. Spanx are a girls best friend!i

As for the thigh situation. No help. My thighs are my problem area...so if you figure it out...some pointers would be appreciated!
ju5tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Walking for 30 minutes burns 300 calories. Not much impact compared to what impact your diet can have on weight loss or weight gain.
Wow, that number seems really high to me. It would, of course, depend on how fast you're walking, and how much you weigh/your burn rate, etc... I don't think I burn 300 calories on the elliptical in 30 minutes.

I once heard the "average" person burns 100 calories walking a mile. IF that's true, and if you're walking at a pace of 20 min/mile, you'd burn 150 calories in 1/2 hour.

Of course, these are all estimates. But really does make John's point, that a lot of this is about diet.

And I'll 3rd (or 4th) that spot reducing isn't possible. You lose fat where your body loses fat.

Is it possible that a lot of this is your perception? Many many (many) women have jiggly thighs. Most of us think ours are bigger than everyone elses!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #9  

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys/gals!

I should've added a few more details;

I'm actually going towards the goal of losing weight everywhere on my body, but my thighs are what I'm really praying to lose weight towards the most.

I've been doing this new workout DVD I found called the "Brazilian Butt Lift", that came with a guide for what foods to eat and what not. I've stopped eating fast food, avoid salts/salty foods, and drinking sodas.

And for the shapewear comments - I'll definitely look into it !
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I have big puffy hearts for my shape wear, and have since I was a teen. LOVE!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote